Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 114, Lakers 129
Mavs Blown Out By AD-Less Lakers

What a beatdown. Mavericks lay an egg at home in a contest with a hated opponent. 

Game Story

KP and Broekhoff were out for the Mavs. The Lakers were missing AD and Cousins.

Basically, the Lakers reached a double-digit lead within a few minutes, and never surrendered it. 

For further gory details, Carlisle put Wright in for KP in the starting lineup, choosing to go small for much of the game. The Mavs came out flat (as they often do at home), while LeBron was in beast mode and his team followed his example. The Lakers had a season-high in points in a quarter, with a 45-27 lead at the end of the first period. The LA team waltzed to the rim at will. The Mavs were 2-11 on 3PTAs and gave up 14 points off turnovers. 

Around three minutes into the second, Carlisle called a timeout and gave his team a tongue-lashing in the huddle regarding their poor defense, according to a sideline reporter. Late in the period, Luka went to the line, missed both free throws, and ripped his jersey, playing the remainder of the half with a split-shirt look. At the interval, the scoreline stood at 58-79, constituting a season-high for points in a half for the Lakers, and a second-worst franchise record for the Mavs for points given up in a half. 

At halftime, perhaps the coach gave a motivating speech, as the home team returned with more energy. Eventually, Howard and McGee both made their ways to the bench with five fouls each, and Dallas took advantage pf the opportunity, attacking the basket and going on a 10-2 run to draw within ten. However, the Lakers resumed their 20-point edge within a few minutes. Carlisle was ejected with a second technical in the fourth, when he went ballistic over the refs awarding the Lakers a timeout after the Mavs had inbounded the ball. The Mavericks continued to flail, and the benches were emptied with about 4 minutes remaining. 

The Lakers set a number of minor records, including a season-high in points for Kuzma (26), and a season-high in rebounds for LeBron (16). A game to forget for MFFLs. 

Analytics

As much as anything, this was a game of missed opportunities. The Mavs got seven more attempts up than the Lakers, but shot too poorly to capitalize. They had 14 more 3PTAs, but only one more made three than their opponent, hitting 11 of 38 from long range. The boys in blue even had 5 more FTAs than the purple-and-gold, but failed to take advantage, missing a staggering 12 foul shots. Dallas had 17 offensive rebounds, but went 6 of 18 on second-chance opportunities. They gave up 60 PIP to the Lakers, and surrendered 21 points off turnovers, along with 26 fast-break points. Non-existent rim protection, poor shooting, a terrible performance at the line, and a Laker team in the mood to play doomed the Mavs, although at least they gave themselves chances. 

Players

Luka (32 min) had a 25-10-7 line, but took 19 shots to get there, missed 5 free throws, had 6 turnovers, and looked off for much of the night. The Lakers were taking liberties with him physically, and the officiating left a lot to be desired. The young man appeared to let it take him out of the game, and he spent the first half in an evident state of frustration. He recovered his composure to a degree in the third, but by then, the horse had bolted the barn. One of the analysts commented that Luka appeared to lack confidence in his teammates, tried to do too much, played very aggressively, and turned the ball over. Carlisle urged his presser audience to remember that Luka is just 20 years old, citing his own 20-year-old status of not knowing "whether to s__t or wind my wristwatch." O-kay. 

Hardaway (32 min) contributed 22 points, and was Rick's go-to option when Luka was off the floor. Seth (32 min) added 16 points off the bench and was one of the few Mavs to have a decent shooting night (3-6 from three). Curry said after the game that he appreciated Rick taking a stand on the officiating in the absence of an older superstar who can "stand up to the refs," noting that he is getting held a lot off the ball and that the squad is not getting much respect from the officials. Powell (26 min) and Maxi (23 min) were stifled, combining for 9 points and 6 boards. 

Boban (10 min) was a bright spot of sorts. He didn't protect the rim any better than the other bigs, but at least he provided some offense, with 14 points and 10 rebounds (7 offensive) in short minutes. Always a crowd-pleaser, the gentle giant drew cheers from the arena. I expect we will hear more from dahlsim on the matter. 

Lakers. LeBron was a man on a mission, determined to put his stamp on this game. None of the Mavs could begin to guard him one-on-one, and for most of the game, the team elected not to double-team. The big wing imposed his will, and obliterated the Mavs in the paint. Yikes. Kyle Kuzma also left his imprint, scoring 26 points. 

Remarks

The NBATV crew didn't think the Mavs got shown up. More that the game exposed the critical role of KP, noting that Luka's game went to another level this season with KP on the floor, and experienced some reversion without him. They also noted that the offense featured a lot of standing around by the other Mavs. Another learning opportunity for the young team. 

I'm not sure how much there is to gain from a detailed analysis. There were some big-picture items that have been rearing their heads lately. 

The Mavs desperately missed KP on both ends of the court. They needed his rim protection, floor spacing, and skills on both ends of the floor. This stretch of games has certainly made us appreciate the importance of the big man. 

The Mavs lacked the size, strength, and length to contend with the Lakers' big men and wings, especially LeBron. They also lacked a defensive presence at all in the first half. 

What's with the Mavs and free throws? After missing 8 attempts against Denver, they upped the ante to 12 versus the Lakers. There is no blaming refs, Lakers, or coaching for that -- it's on the players. 

Luka, despite a good line, had an off night. He admitted after the game that he had played "very bad," and said that he is only 20 years old, and has a lot to learn. During the game, he appeared perhaps a little too conscious that he didn't have a lot of firepower around him. The Mavs depend on synergy to deliver, with few impressive individual performers outside of the two stars, and when the other guys are playing a passive role, the team tends to deteriorate into chaos. 

The game was very choppy, with the teams combining for 69 free-throw attempts. It resulted in a not-very-pleasing show, even apart from the result, as far as entertainment quality. The uneven officiating even had Mark Jackson calling the refs out for favoring the Lakers -- you know it's bad, at that point. However, the refs weren't the reason the Mavs lost the game, so I'll leave it at that. 

I know this will not be a popular view, but this match had all the marks of the Mavs' being beaten by a better team. Carlisle noted that his squad finally started showing some fight in the third quarter, which they won by 8 points, but it was far from enough. I think the contest reminded us that this is still a very inexperienced group, with a very young star, and they still have a lot of room to grow. Should be fun witnessing their progress, and nights like this are likely to be a part of it every now and then. 

Next.  Philadelphia, at the AAC on Saturday. KP will still be out, but so will Embiid. With the Mavs in relative free fall (lost five of last seven), they are clinging to sixth place by a game. Hopefully, something will click against the Sixers.

Bounce back, young Mavs!
Like Reply
I thought Mark Jackson made a good comment about his Warriors taking some lickings when he was coach that showed them the difference between a good team and being ELITE. I think Lebron being "playoff Lebron" for a random game in January is a gift for Luka and the Mavs. This was a snapshot into a playoff intensity team playing with a playoff edge. 

I think RC is spot on that Luka is getting physically bullied and the refs are not calling it properly, but this is how teams WILL play him in the playoffs. He needs to adjust, but so does the reffing.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 10:07 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I thought Mark Jackson made a good comment about his Warriors taking some lickings when he was coach that showed them the difference between a good team and being ELITE. I think Lebron being "playoff Lebron" for a random game in January is a gift for Luka and the Mavs. This was a snapshot into a playoff intensity team playing with a playoff edge. 

I think RC is spot on that Luka is getting physically bullied and the refs are not calling it properly, but this is how teams WILL play him in the playoffs. He needs to adjust, but so does the reffing.

Mavs need to give Luka some big guys too.  The Lakers size and strength across the board makes the Mavs look like a HS team.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 10:21 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: The Lakers size and strength across the board makes the Mavs look like a HS team.

AND length. The Mavs have good length when KP is playing, but without him, RC keeps choosing in most situations to make the Mavs undersized.

The Mavs need to add a player like RoCo without subtracting any of their length. They need DFS AND RoCo for instance.

Also, the Mavs I assume by personnel are not a "physical" or "rough" team and do not practice that way. The Lakers are much more ROUGH and PHYSICAL in how they play. The Mavs don't need to BE that but they need to be able to endure that.
Like Reply
First off, that was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. Multiple missed calls in favor for the Lakers. I mean there were blatant hacks on Luka that went uncalled, yet if anyone breathed on Lebron it was an easy trip to the free throw line. Doesn't take many of those type of possessions to throw a team completely off. It finally culminated in the refs literally breaking the rules for the Lakers with that review call that got Carlisle unjustly ejected. Absolute travesty and I hope every single ref is punished for that performance. If the NBA wants to push for gambling, then they can't have this going on. 

Secondly, the Mavs definitely played like dogshit. Everyone was off their game. The Lakers zone defense stifled any ball movement or penetration. Dwight Powell played like a high schooler. Maxi was non existent. DFS just got run over by Lebron in the post. No one could make a shot.

As unfortunate it'd might be to break up this team's chemistry, I think the Mavs need to go all out to try to get some size and more wings. Justin Jackson was unplayable this game. Powell got lit up by Dwight Howard and Javale Mcgee. In the playoffs, if the they'd put on that performance in a 7 game series they'd get swept. 

Furthermore, Carlisle made some really inane choices. I really disliked his subs this game. Most notably, when the Mavs got both Mcgee and Howard in foul trouble, Carlisle chose to match the Lakers small ball lineup by taking Powell out and replacing him with Wright. WHY????? Why not punish the Lakers size, why make it easier for the Lakers to deal with our size?? Made absolutely no sense. It made even less sense that while Powell and Maxi were putting up a stinker, Carlisle didn't even TRY to put in Boban when the Lakers were running Jared "The Flash" Dudley at center. SERIOUSLY? I understand Boban is slow, and the Lakers were playing 5 out, but AT WORST you trade buckets. At best the Mavs get consistent easy buckets inside. 

Finally another blunder I felt Carlisle made in the 3rd was that he subbed out Luka with 3:30 left in the 3rd in favor of going even smaller. It killed our offense. The Mavs were on a 10-2 run and then failed to score for the next 12 minutes. It was ugly. By subbing out Luka, the Mavs stopped attacking the basket when the Lakers had ZERO rim protection. It was just a THJ 3, into a Curry 3, into a Jackson 3, on repeat. Just killed any hope the Mavs had for trying to come back.

Mavs have been quite terrible as of late. 9-9 of their last 18. Basically since the beginning of December they've been treading water. Fairly, they've lost their 2 most important players back to back, but just watching the games the role players seem just off.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
That was playoff Lebron. That was his statement game. He said, Luka you’re a nice kid but I’m still the man. Tough tough loss. 

Mavs lack of size, toughness, playmaking and veteran leadership was severely exposed. 

This game was a reality check. Luka is only 20 and he acted like it (really, for the first time which is amazing). 

It was really encouraging that the Mavs went on their best run with Howard and McGee in foul trouble. Mavs looked small and couldn’t get anything going inside or out with those shotblockers patrolling the paint. That is why KP at the five is so important. KP really changes the game with his shooting and ability to guard the rim on defense.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 10:21 AM)hakeemfan Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 10:07 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I thought Mark Jackson made a good comment about his Warriors taking some lickings when he was coach that showed them the difference between a good team and being ELITE. I think Lebron being "playoff Lebron" for a random game in January is a gift for Luka and the Mavs. This was a snapshot into a playoff intensity team playing with a playoff edge. 

Mavs need to give Luka some big guys too.  The Lakers size and strength across the board makes the Mavs look like a HS team.
I thought I was the only one that noticed this. We are a smallish team. We need some meat, and a couple of tough guys wouldn't hurt also. We just can't keep getting bullied.
Like Reply
I think Mavs need to shore up defense as priority 1.  You are missing key players which is part of it too.

Mavs rank 10th (of 15) in points allowed in the West.  Mavs are scoring just fine but when facing tough teams they slow down your offense.

Taking so many 3’s and if not made leads to fast breaks for opponent.  Cut down on 3 attempts will help defense.  Then if you shore up defense you flip the script and make teams shoot worse which will lead to more Mavs fast breaks.

I said it at start of season you are just now entering what will be a long playoff window.  And you need some roster tweaks which is an evolving process.  These tough times will help as you get those role players.  Just a player or two can make such a difference in the whole flow of team.  I think you need a big as priority 1.

All teams go through rough patches.  Refs are bad every year and needs fixing.  Main thing is during playoffs it seems defense steps up a notch look at Houston/Harden he gets less calls in playoffs and they never get out of West.  The tough reffing right now will prepare Mavs for the many playoff years ahead.  If you can figure out how to win in regular season in spite of refs that will pay off in playoffs.  

I don’t think Rick has lost the locker room either.  Your loss of players is allowing teams to load up on Doncic.  If you can deal for a big the  you can pound em inside when they double Luka.  Plus they can help with pick and roll.  Thats why I say you need a big priority one.  Mavs are scoring points so offense is not the problem.  Its defense plus offense when teams take Luka out by doubles, a big will help you find ways to score and keep Luka involved driving.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 12:56 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: First off, that was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. Multiple missed calls in favor for the Lakers. I mean there were blatant hacks on Luka that went uncalled, yet if anyone breathed on Lebron it was an easy trip to the free throw line. Doesn't take many of those type of possessions to throw a team completely off. It finally culminated in the refs literally breaking the rules for the Lakers with that review call that got Carlisle unjustly ejected. Absolute travesty and I hope every single ref is punished for that performance. If the NBA wants to push for gambling, then they can't have this going on. 

Secondly, the Mavs definitely played like dogshit. Everyone was off their game. The Lakers zone defense stifled any ball movement or penetration. Dwight Powell played like a high schooler. Maxi was non existent. DFS just got run over by Lebron in the post. No one could make a shot.

As unfortunate it'd might be to break up this team's chemistry, I think the Mavs need to go all out to try to get some size and more wings. Justin Jackson was unplayable this game. Powell got lit up by Dwight Howard and Javale Mcgee. In the playoffs, if the they'd put on that performance in a 7 game series they'd get swept. 

Furthermore, Carlisle made some really inane choices. I really disliked his subs this game. Most notably, when the Mavs got both Mcgee and Howard in foul trouble, Carlisle chose to match the Lakers small ball lineup by taking Powell out and replacing him with Wright. WHY????? Why not punish the Lakers size, why make it easier for the Lakers to deal with our size?? Made absolutely no sense. It made even less sense that while Powell and Maxi were putting up a stinker, Carlisle didn't even TRY to put in Boban when the Lakers were running Jared "The Flash" Dudley at center. SERIOUSLY? I understand Boban is slow, and the Lakers were playing 5 out, but AT WORST you trade buckets. At best the Mavs get consistent easy buckets inside. 

Finally another blunder I felt Carlisle made in the 3rd was that he subbed out Luka with 3:30 left in the 3rd in favor of going even smaller. It killed our offense. The Mavs were on a 10-2 run and then failed to score for the next 12 minutes. It was ugly. By subbing out Luka, the Mavs stopped attacking the basket when the Lakers had ZERO rim protection. It was just a THJ 3, into a Curry 3, into a Jackson 3, on repeat. Just killed any hope the Mavs had for trying to come back.

Mavs have been quite terrible as of late. 9-9 of their last 18. Basically since the beginning of December they've been treading water. Fairly, they've lost their 2 most important players back to back, but just watching the games the role players seem just off.
Well, my guess is because the Lakers were making threes.  I mean, yes if we went big, we might be better able to make twos inside, but if the Lakers were able to keep making threes, we would just fall further behind.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BR_NBA/status/1216065461764292609

https://media.giphy.com/media/dypk2pRknC.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 02:03 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/BR_NBA/status/1216065461764292609

Wow, he really got sick FAST, didn't he?!  He looked pretty healthy last night to me.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 02:03 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/BR_NBA/status/1216065461764292609

An hour ago Lakers were favored by -1.0.  Now its +6.5
Like Reply
Well it was good lessen for Mavs, Lakers punched them exactly on the right spot. Great game strategy from LAL and good execution which succeeded with refs judging level and refs lack of quality. It was great to see how all LAL guys work with or for LB and LD works for all DAL guys. What I've missed was our coach ripping his shirt too on exit to made bigger statement!
Ups, ou yes, that's childish, as I have read on this board..   ...but so was the reffing yesterday...

But they came out some good stuffs from yesterday's L
https://twitter.com/mavstats/status/1216034997074911233
Like Reply
Lol

https://twitter.com/shaitime2/status/121...7706742795
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 01:21 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: Taking so many 3’s and if not made leads to fast breaks for opponent.  Cut down on 3 attempts will help defense.  Then if you shore up defense you flip the script and make teams shoot worse which will lead to more Mavs fast breaks.
The Mavs offense is designed to, and did, result in open looks. Unfortunately, they missed open shot after open shot after open shot. They were actually getting good three-point looks; inexplicably, they just missed everything. Seth 3-6. Others:  DFS 2-9, Luka 1-5, rest of team 5-18. These are good shots. They usually shoot much better from deep. As far behind as they were, they needed a way to catch up quickly. 

Not saying they should always chuck. It was disconcerting when they went away from attacking when Luka was out. Agree that attacking the basket often leads to good kick-out shots. I hear what you're saying on long rebounds, and the Lakers were killing them in transition, but the Mavs were playing poorly inside, as well. 

Not saying they had a perfect scheme, but on analysis, I tend to think the problem in this game was less the strategy than the execution. Mavs just played terribly, especially in the first half. Part of this was putting in a subpar performance, and part may have been the lack of personnel with the size and skills to match up with a loaded Lakers roster.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 03:16 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 01:21 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: Taking so many 3’s and if not made leads to fast breaks for opponent.  Cut down on 3 attempts will help defense.  Then if you shore up defense you flip the script and make teams shoot worse which will lead to more Mavs fast breaks.
The Mavs offense is designed to, and did, result in open looks. Unfortunately, they missed open shot after open shot after open shot. They were actually getting good three-point looks; inexplicably, they just missed everything. Seth 3-6. Others:  DFS 2-9, Luka 1-5, rest of team 5-18. These are good shots. They usually shoot much better from deep. As far behind as they were, they needed a way to catch up quickly. 

Not saying they should always chuck. It was disconcerting when they went away from attacking when Luka was out. Agree that attacking the basket often leads to good kick-out shots. I hear what you're saying on long rebounds, and the Lakers were killing them in transition, but the Mavs were playing poorly inside, as well. 

Not saying they had a perfect scheme, but on analysis, I tend to think the problem in this game was less the strategy than the execution. Mavs just played terribly, especially in the first half. Part of this was putting in a subpar performance, and part may have been the lack of personnel with the size and skills to match up with a loaded Lakers roster.
As I posted in the game thread, the Mavs shooters get the yips in big games against the Lakers and a few other elite teams, and it's been this way pretty much this whole season.  And, IMO, Rick at this point just needs to assume that this is going to be the case, and not rely on three point shooting.

They usually do shoot better from three, but not against elite defense teams.  They get the yips and rush shots and can't hit anything.
Like Reply

I mean if healthy Mavs have the one of the biggest s5 in the league, apart from the Sixers. Replacing KP with Barea or Wright in the s5 makes the team way too small again. Reminds me of the 3 guard lineup era in the worst possible way.

If anything they need to adress the rim protection backup role for KP. Kleber is great, but his strength on defense aren't against really big guys in the paint. Also i think the best option is to start Kleber with Powell. Go as big as possible.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 04:26 PM)sefant Wrote:

I mean if healthy Mavs have the one of the biggest s5 in the league, apart from the Sixers. Replacing KP with Barea or Wright in the s5 makes the team way too small again. Reminds me of the 3 guard lineup era in the worst possible way.

If anything they need to adress the rim protection backup role for KP. Kleber is great, but his strength on defense aren't against really big guys in the paint. Also i think the best option is to start Kleber with Powell. Go as big as possible.
Yes, Maxi will get beaten to the rim on a few occasions, but I think his rebounding and ability to hold his ground against a lot of power forwards will make up for it.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 04:11 PM)mtrot Wrote: As I posted in the game thread, the Mavs shooters get the yips in big games against the Lakers and a few other elite teams, and it's been this way pretty much this whole season.  And, IMO, Rick at this point just needs to assume that this is going to be the case, and not rely on three point shooting.

They usually do shoot better from three, but not against elite defense teams.  They get the yips and rush shots and can't hit anything
I don't know. The Mavs have won some games against good teams with three-point shots falling. Take your point that they weren't dropping in this game, but I don't think Rick should just assume his squad is going to collapse from long range, since they normally don't. 

I tend to suspect that the fans are more cowed by big brands than the team itself is. The Mavs have played poorly against bad teams in this stretch, as well. With Luka getting double-teamed so much, the Mavericks should be getting an open shot virtually every time down the floor. And, they often did. LeBron mentioned that he sets the tone for his teammates on both ends of the court. I wonder if Luka's getting so flustered spread to the other Mavs.
Like Reply
I know that Lebron complimented Luka personally and everything in the first Lakers game, but I wonder how much of his playoff-like effort last night had to do with the All-Star vote.
Like Reply