Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Re-programming of Luka Doncic
The recent Wright article in The Athletic prompted this post but I thought it deserved its own thread as this topic has been overlooked a bit...

It's not surprising that Wright would rather start. He's putting up elite advanced metrics across the board, but his usage is actually at a career low. While some may speculate this makes him expendable, I expect the Mavs to hold on to Wright and Carlisle will look to increase his usage over time, especially as the Mavs prepare for playoff basketball. 

The playoffs are just different and teams will force the ball out of Doncic's hands. The Mavs need a secondary ball handler who can drive against hard close outs and make plays off the dribble. That is not THJ's game. THJ is at his best as an elite catch & shoot threat. But making plays off the dribble is Wright's game. The key question is how do you increase Wright's usage on a team with the most ball dominant guy in the league?

If you know anything about managing change in a business context you know there are only so many things you can do at once without causing organizational chaos. You need a vision of the future and a plan to get there, but you can't always leap from A to Z. You have to prioritize. 

The clear priority one for this team is developing a playing style that works for both Luka and KP long term.

That obviously involves a lot of coaching attention applied to re-programming KP. This has been written about extensively. But we may also be seeing the next stage of the Mavs big picture plan and it may, eventually involve Wright. As far as I know, it's not being investigated. 

Carlisle is on record saying he'd like to see more balance in the line up and JET recently spoke in the post game about Doncic wearing down. 

Step two of the team's development may involve wrestling the ball away from Doncic a bit. At this stage, JJ Barea may be the only player on the Mavs roster who can do it, simply because there is a level of respect there. On Barea's recent addition to the starting lineup "It was an adjustment to get JJ's playmaking into the game, get Luka off the ball a little bit more to start," Carlisle explained. Barea is fearless and will demand the ball. He even had the cojones to waive off Doncic at one point vs the Hornets.

But JJB isn't the long term answer. Wright has the skillset and he's being paid like a starter. Big picture, you can envision Wright stepping into the role when the Mavs need more playmaking on the floor in the playoffs. 

Cuban points out “our first call literally was Delon Wright, because we wanted somebody that could defend next to Luka and most of our guys, particularly our ones, twos were walk-it-up guys. Delon's a downhill guy who can defend multiple positions. We'll work with him some on his shot, but he's a great finisher, he can get to the rim, he'll make the play, he helps make his teammates better, and that's what we were looking for. Because trying to get Luka to guard point guards is not going to work. With Jalen Brunson, he did a great job as a rookie and he'll get better, but his strength still, he's still learning to stay in front of guys. Delon is there. Delon's a passer, a creator, but now 6-foot-5 will be our smallest guy in the starting lineup. That changes who we are."

Carlisle has recently tweaked Doncic's minutes; and this combined with lowering Doncic's early usage go hand in hand. "He's been playing too many long stretches of minutes and it's really been compromising him late in games," Carlisle said. In other words, the rotation may be changed going forward. 

So how might the new rotation look when THJ and KP return? Clearly both players will start. Does Carlisle lower Doncic's early usage by starting a playmaker next to him -- JJB for now and maybe Wright in the future -- thereby sending DFS or Powell to the bench? Or does Carlisle go back to the lineup that worked so well early on, and ride Doncic hard from the tip?

Regardless, it's clear what Wright prefers. "I definitely prefer that role (starting in Memphis). Just knowing that I’m going to be the ball handler and controlling everything, that was pretty much what I expect out of my career, to be in that kind of role. But we weren’t winning, a lot of people were hurt. I was really able to have more of a load. But here, we’re winning now, we have good players. We have Luka. He’s the primary ball handler, he’s the leading (All-Star) vote getter, so you really can’t complain too much. We’re a winning team, we’re in a winning situation."
Like Reply
I think it's necessary to do something like this for/with Doncic, I just wonder how much will change with our Gs currently. Like I said after last game, any time our ball handlers are in with Luka, their attention is on getting the ball to Luka whenever he works on getting open. Lots of indecision. 

Wright in the article as well as his quote when he went to the bench was he wanted to run the team when he's on the court. That will absolutely not happen in a meaningful way with Luka IMO. Just as with the CP3 discussion, the decision will be on Luka as to how much he relinquishes that duty to another ball handler. I get that you're saying this is the re-programming of Luka part, I just wonder to what extent it will happen, and is that extent a match for what DW will be happy with?
Like Reply
Well, whatever the reason, Wright looked a lot more effective in November than he has for the last couple months.  He would drive the rim, and demonstrated incredibly ability to finish when he go there.  Now, he seems reticent to try to do anything with the ball, passes on wide open threes, and gets rid of the ball to players who are not really in position to do anything with the ball.  He will dribble into the lane, and then come right back out and give up the ball.  Strange.
Like Reply
(01-06-2020, 01:35 PM)mtrot Wrote: Wright looked a lot more effective in November than he has for the last couple months. 

Nov - MIN 20.9 - FG 5.8 - FG% .43 - 3PT 1.6 - 3PT% .26 - REB 3.4 - AST 2.8 - STL 0.9 - PTS 6.7
Dec - MIN 19.0 - FG 5.8 - FG% .50 - 3PT 1.9 - 3PT% .44 - REB 3.6 - AST 3.5 - STL 2.0 - PTS 8.0
Like Reply
I love this V. You're right about needing vision that includes a series of changes, fixes, steps forward. Most projects worth doing are impossible to accomplish in one stage. 

I'm a DWright fan. I'd like him in the starting lineup. I'd like for Luka to be off the ball periodically for his own development, energy level and even effectiveness. Maybe the process is (1) teach Luka and KP how to play together, (2) teach Luka and Delon how to play together.
Like Reply
Nice post V and how much I love Delon's game I don't know if he will be a starter soon. As team management is involving tooooons of stuff stats included mybe following could give some different insight into Delon's position in the team.

[Image: DAL-DPS-35g.jpg]

It could, could not be up to Delon's game but of more balanced D efficiency in second unit per DPS stat. The need of the many ...
Just a thought from TPA perspective to maybe take into consideration...
Like Reply
Great well thought post!

Recent games we have seen tactical adjustment to Luka. That actually worked and we have not find the answer to that yet. What teams were doing was to double Luka early on our court and force the ball away from him. In addition we have seen Luka wear down at the end of games. These are the counters that can and should be used and they kill both problems with the same adjustments:

Bring in Wright in the starting lineup. Let Wright dribble the ball upfield from our half court until the final third. Then immediately bring the ball to Luka so he can dominate from there. Here doubling Luka is very difficult as when he passes to an open player it brings this player immediately in the shooting range. This is on other hand not true when doubling Luka already on our own half court, because when he passes the ball to an open player this player is not in the shooting range, this involves one or even more passes and at that time the defense is set and our offense is completely out of balance! The trick here is to allow Delon to dribble it up the court and take that away from the defenses. Once Delon approaches the final third, Luka takes over from here. Not only does it take away that defenses take the ball away from Luka, but it also makes a much more fresh Luka. He spends half of his energy dribbling it up the court with all the pressure on him. Absolutely no need to do that. He is dominating in the final third and thats where all the focus should be. Of course from turnovers and in fast break Luka should have the green light to dribble it up the court, but not when the defenses are well set.

We look for a rim runner that Powell is, but that also can play defense. Several names were suggested that could be traded for. I say no to all of that. Why? Because we have that player on our squad. He is called Maxi. Kleber is the one that should play center. He can rim run, he plays excellent defense, and on top of that when left alone he makes the 3. We have seen several instances now that Powell is left alone outside as he is not making the shots. Kleber on other hand has no weaknesses in his game. No weaknesses mean that its impossible for the other team with tactics to easy exploit you. That is easy with Powell due to his bad shooting and bad defense. He gets credit for screens and rim running, but he is not a complete player, and that costs a lot, especially in playoffs. So with Kleber as that starter we need, i really think we need more a center that can play defense as a backup. Hence I would not make any major trades but find a good defensive center for the backups to anchor the defense next to Powell.

With Kleber and Wright, that I would say are our second and third best defenders, not only do we get better offense, but we improve the defense even more. I am in no doubt that the 5 best players on this team are Wright, Doncic, DFS, Kleber, KP. They should start. Those are the most overall complete players on this squad with least amount of weaknesses to exploit.

Doncic should play more off ball. Without loss of touches. You dont want to give less touches for a player that is dominating and with efficiency that is not seen before. You do not decrease the amount of touches. What you do is you maximise the amount of good touches and where they occur (final third) and minimise the really not necessary ones such as those on our own half court. Bring him the ball in the post where he can decide how he can take it from there.

Bring way more designed catch and shoot plays, especially mid range game for THJ and Curry. They are both nailing them down consistently. Why this is not used more is beyond me. This and Lukas post game. Also bring in JJ more and let design plays where he can penetrate and finish the floater. We have seen increase at this last game and it was great to see. Such a weapon.

In general, we run too many hero plays. Not by design but just JJB, Luka, THJ, Curry pulling up shots when they are well defended. This is not too effective. Make a screen for THJ, Curry, let them catch and shoot when they are open. Easy points. Let the defense focus on other parts then Luka, this way Luka will dominate even more with less attention.

Finally. How about some freaking off ball screens to Luka for once? Imagine Wright running the ball up the field, then KP or Maxi setting an off the ball screen on the side to Luka. Luka receiving the ball somewhere inside the arc or just outside the arc, where he is already not well defended from the moment he receives the ball??? He would not be doubled with this (if so KP is open for the dunk) and Luka would have more space receiving the ball, than he has now fighting through tight coverage and all attention. This would also force Lukas game more in penetration rather than 3 point step backs, and it is really in this manner that he is most effective. At the moment he is tired from all the dribbling up the court and sometimes just settles for that step back, as it requires much less energy. I say remove that completely. Let Luka dominate the pain and penetrate more often than not, and design the plays for that. Wright is absolutely a key to that as he will allow Luka to be that kind of player he is the best at.
Like Reply
Just as I expected, Carlisle started JJB even with THJ back in the lineup. 

How’d it look? 

Welp. So much for taking the ball out Luka’s hands. Mavs offense sputtered with Doncic starting off the ball ...for the second straight game. Luka still got his numbers but there was no magic in the first half. 

Aaaaand so much for Carlisle’s new rotation. Things finally picked up when Luka took the ball and played the whole third quarter. 

Luka finished with a 38 point triple double but this offense isn’t close to the same level without the kid running the show.
Like Reply