Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INJURY: KP w/ right knee soreness & illness (playing against LAC)
(01-09-2020, 02:50 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: If it's a risk to play him right now, he needs to sit. We aren't winning the title with or without him this year so it doesn't really matter. We can still get the 8 seed without him if he gets shut down. He's getting shots in his knee so can't be great.

The only two teams out there that are contending both reside in Staples and those two are literally an injury away from being knocked out of that status. Neither team blows anyone else away in a 7 game series, but the defense from both along with the Lakers' size are major factors that Dallas doesn't quite have the ability to address right now and without KP as the anchor, Dallas' defense is porous. If they can address those things, then it's up for grabs. Either way, the west will NOT be a cake walk for anyone.
Like Reply
I feel as though this is going to be a permanent, pinned thread during KP's tenure...  sigh..

He's just fragile.
Like Reply
Was elated when that trade happened.  Not sure what to think now.
Like Reply
(01-09-2020, 05:41 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Was elated when that trade happened.  Not sure what to think now.

He misses 6 games due to a sore right knee and sickness and it somehow affects the trade? 

Are you seriously saying you'd rather have Wes Mathews, DAJ, and DSJ right now over KP and THJ?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-09-2020, 05:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 05:41 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Was elated when that trade happened.  Not sure what to think now.

He misses 6 games due to a sore right knee and sickness and it somehow affects the trade? 

DUH?  And he's been pretty bad on offense when he has played.

If injury and performance aren't going to cause you to re-evaluate how you feel about a trade, what will?  I'm so confused.

Wes, DAJ, etc wasnt the alternative.  That's just a lazy copout.  Whether we'd be better off with $80 million in cap space and 2 first round picks is a legitimate question.
Like Reply
..also KP is a MAX guy now, that has to factor in how we evaluate that trade
Having said that, I will still do that trade 100 times out of 100
Casey Smith and his team has earned the benefit of the doubt at this point, he is one of the best in the business.
Like Reply
I'm not shopping him, but I'm also not turning down any legit offers for high end players, Turner+ is pretty intriguing to me.
Like Reply
Knowing what we know now (mainly that Luka is ready to win now), I think that trade has gone from 10/10 to 7/10 for me.  

We had $28 million in cap space.  KP had a $17 mil hold.  Lee $13.  THJ $20.  DSJ $4.  So we would've literally had $74 million in cap space and two more first round picks to trade for Covington, Brogdon, Bogdan, whomever.  But you have to consider how bad the Mavs are at free agency.

I'm not giving up on KP.  I'm not saying that was a bad move.  I've just gone from being 100% elated to wondering about the possibilities.  If you take your emotions out of it, it's a legitimate what if.
Like Reply
(01-09-2020, 05:58 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: DUH?  And he's been pretty bad on offense when he has played.

If injury and performance aren't going to cause you to re-evaluate how you feel about a trade, what will?  I'm so confused.

Wes, DAJ, etc wasnt the alternative.  That's just a lazy copout.  Whether we'd be better off with $80 million in cap space and 2 first round picks is a legitimate question.

I think we've seen the last week what this team is like without Porzingis and just how integral he is to this team's success. While he hasn't been shooting the ball lights out on offense (which he's never done in his career), he's still put up a respectable 17ppg, while adding fantastic rebounding to his game, a huge criticism that has plagued his career. Furthermore KP has been this team's defensive anchor. And showed, after Luka went down, that when the going got tough, he can step up huge.

So I don't regret the trade whatsoever. 

And Wes, DAJ, DSJ and 2 picks was almost certainly the alternative, not a cop-out. Its quite literally the opposite outcome of the trade.  And the Mavs would have had to keep Wes, no defense DAJ, and a disgruntled DSJ for at least for another half season. It's impossible to say that the Mavs would've  been better off with the cap space of letting Wes and DAJ expire. It's an alternate timeline sort of thing where anything said could  be true. And that whole hypothetical gets real dim when we compare the players the Mavs would've had to have sign to even come close to a prospect like KP, lest we forget the forever merry-go-round of plan powder and our numerous strike outs in July. 

Mavs sold high on DSJ, got rid of 2 aging vets that didn't fit whatsoever, and only gave up 2 picks to get one of best big men in the game and a starting SG. There's no other way to slice that cake. Additionally, we were all guessing the games played total for KP, and came away with anything over 60 is fine.

As long as KP is healthy for the end of the season/playoffs I'm okay. But to question such a lopsided trade after the first sign of minor injuries is ludicrous and a knee-jerk of the highest proportions.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-09-2020, 06:39 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 05:58 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: DUH?  And he's been pretty bad on offense when he has played.

And Wes, DAJ, DSJ and 2 picks was almost certainly the alternative, not a cop-out. Its quite literally the opposite outcome of the trade. 

They were free agents dude.  They wouldn't be here right now.  This isn't that hard.  KP vs DAJ/Wes/DSJ is not the comparison

KP vs $74 mil in cap space and two 1st round picks to trade is what I'm asking you to think about.  Not saying the latter is better.  11 months ago I'd 100% rather have KP.  Now I'm not 100% sure.
Like Reply
(01-09-2020, 06:41 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: KP vs $74 mil in cap space and two 1st round picks to trade is what I'm asking you to think about.  Not saying the latter is better.  11 months ago I'd 100% rather have KP.  Now I'm not 100% sure.

Ok who in free agency would you have had the Mavs sign that would be on the same level as Kristaps? Durant? Leonard? Vucevic? Harris? Walker? Butler? Brogdon was traded for 3 picks. Is that worth it?  

Its easy to say 74 million+ 2 picks could be better in theory, but when actually using the 74 million and factoring the Mavs history of failing to court free agents, to me it's much more risky,  than to just trade for a guy who has averaged 62 games for his career and is a superstar in those 62 games.
Like Reply
I think you think KP is much better than he actually is.

He's a superstar prospect.  He's not a superstar player.  That was NYC hype and the catchy nickname.  He wouldn't be an all-star in the west with AD, Jokic, and KAT.
Like Reply
(01-09-2020, 08:09 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I think you think KP is much better than he actually is.

He's a superstar prospect.  He's not a superstar player.  That was NYC hype and the catchy nickname.  He wouldn't be an all-star in the west with AD, Jokic, and KAT.

Okay fair. Agree to disagree. 

I think KP's contribution to this team is a superstar level impact. He doesn't fill up the points sheet yet because there are some obvious growing pains/rust. But KP put up 23/14/3 when Luka sat, and he's consistently brought DPOY type defense every single game.  

If KP was asked to shoulder more of the load then he'd be an all-star. But he doesn't have to because of how good Luka is.
Like Reply
(01-09-2020, 08:42 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think KP's contribution to this team is a superstar level impact. He doesn't fill up the points sheet yet because there are some obvious growing pains/rust. But KP put up 23/14/3 when Luka sat, and he's consistently brought DPOY type defense every single game.  

If KP was asked to shoulder more of the load then he'd be an all-star. 

His efg% is 47.5% this year and 48.5% for his career.

KAT 58%
Jokic 56%

If KP had to shoulder more of a load....YIKES

I was saying Knicks KP wasn't a superstar.  2019 Mavs KP isn't even a star.  He's a really good role player.  I'm not judging him on this year though.  If this is the KP we got, I think that trade would be a 3/10.
Like Reply
(01-09-2020, 08:42 PM)unliSleepingHero Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 08:09 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I think you think KP is much better than he actually is.

If KP was asked to shoulder more of the load then he'd be an all-star. But he doesn't have to because of how good Luka is.

But he can´t, because of his body. Outside of his rookie season, he has missed a significant amount of games every year after Dec 30th. This trade was about the Chandler Parsons factor and nothing else. It was always a super high ceiling and rock bottom floor kinda deal. There was very little middle ground.
Like Reply
Hold your horses, folks. It is the best thing to be cautious with whatever he is dealing with. It is not easy to come back from that injury. Carlisle pointed out at a game for the first time since his injury. So if he doesn't come back next week, you can light a fire in the barn.

Btw, the Lakers will be without AD and the Sixers without Embiid. So there is that.
Long time Mavs Fan from Turkey who wakes up in the middle of the night to watch the Mavs games.
Like Reply
Quote:
  1. "Porzingis is posting a below-average BPM for the second time in four seasons. He's at minus-0.2 for his career. He's never had an above-average true shooting percentage, either.
  1. And so far, the Mavs are playing far better when Luka is on the floor without KP. They're plus-15.4 points per 100 possessions (98th percentile) in that situation, compared to plus-5.9 (79th percentile) when both are in.
  1. The idea of Porzingis—a sweet-shooting 7'3" power forward who can also protect the rim—has always been a little more tantalizing than the real thing. And now that knee issues are part of the equation, it'd be even harder for a team to trade for him and the $120-plus million he's guaranteed (nearly $160 million if he picks up his option for 2023-24)."

Source: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2869...act#slide6

Porzingis is considered our least tradable contract. I'll always defend the trade considering BSJ is a certified bust but hindsight leans towards us slightly overpaying. I do wonder what other offers were out there so we can have something to compare with. 
Like Reply
(01-10-2020, 02:12 AM)TurkishMFFL Wrote: Hold your horses, folks. It is the best thing to be cautious with whatever he is dealing with. It is not easy to come back from that injury. Carlisle pointed out at a game for the first time since his injury. So if he doesn't come back next week, you can light a fire in the barn.

Btw, the Lakers will be without AD and the Sixers without Embiid. So there is that.
Has that been announced?  My assumption is that AD will play.
Like Reply
(01-10-2020, 09:47 AM)mtrot Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 02:12 AM)TurkishMFFL Wrote: Hold your horses, folks. It is the best thing to be cautious with whatever he is dealing with. It is not easy to come back from that injury. Carlisle pointed out at a game for the first time since his injury. So if he doesn't come back next week, you can light a fire in the barn.

Has that been announced?  My assumption is that AD will play.
Last update was questionable...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-10-2020, 09:47 AM)mtrot Wrote: Has that been announced?  My assumption is that AD will play.
seems odd that getting butt hurt in a game would take you out of other games. Sense-i-tive!
Like Reply