Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Playoffs- 2nd Round: Oklahoma City Thunder - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-2!
OKC has a really bright future...and their future may be now. They have so many assets they can afford some misses and hardly miss a beat. It is tricky looking back on past drafts and how you passed on. Although they picked Poku and passed on a slew of some really good players. A few years ago they traded the pick of Seguin and moved back a few for Terrance Mann. Just imagine Senguin or a better player in 2020 in that draft on that roster now. They have so many picks coming up that I really don't know what they do with them. They already have a championship level roster who is still growing. What do they do with 15-20 upcoming first round picks?
Like Reply
Against the Clippers the Mavs had to push the pace. Is that true against OKC as well? I think they will need to run when they have the opportunity, but I wonder if a slower pace is better in this series. OKC really thrives on turnovers and they are built to run.
Like Reply
A discussion from Kidd recently in the Clippers game discussed "pace" in regards to our half-court set. I'm not entirely sure what he meant except perhaps the ball needs to move out Luka's hands quickly rather than just Luka dribbling and setting up a play. I generally think of a faster pace in regards to the pace "in transition" rather than the half court ... so I may just be making an assumption about what Kidd meant. I just remember that he was talking about Mavs pace in a way I wasn't used to.

OKC presents the problem of forcing their opponent to have a formidable transition defense because of their speed, but that I think was different than the conversation about the Clippers and the Mavs pace.
Like Reply
(05-07-2024, 10:28 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: OKC has a really bright future...and their future may be now.  They have so many assets they can afford some misses and hardly miss a beat.  It is tricky looking back on past drafts and how you passed on.  Although they picked Poku and passed on a slew of some really good players.  A few years ago they traded the pick of Seguin and moved back a few for Terrance Mann.  Just imagine Senguin or a better player in 2020 in that draft on that roster now.  They have so many picks coming up that I really don't know what they do with them.  They already have a championship level roster who is still growing.  What do they do with 15-20 upcoming first round picks?

I think you mean Tre Mann
Like Reply
https://theathletic.com/5473149/2024/05/...s-preview/

Mavs vs Thunder preview from The Athletic.
Like Reply
I think we're all discounting a very real possibility that Morris gets some burn. At the end of the day he's still a 6'9 forward that plays with physicality and can stretch the floor. Is he an ideal Maxi replacement? Not at all. But he's still huge.

Of their bench guys, the ones that get the most burn are Wallace, Joe, and Hayward. They are 6'4, 6'4, and 6'7.

Mavs top 3 bench guys (and plugging Morris in for Maxi) is Exum(or THJ), Green, Morris. They are 6'5 (6'5), 6'5, and 6'9.

PJ and DJJ will play 30+ mins and are both big. But we have to leverage size here. Morris can allow us to do that.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
@espn_macmahon
Luka Doncic says Lu Dort is in the “top three” perimeter defenders in the league. Who else cracks that list? Doncic says Jrue Holiday and Mavs teammate Derrick Jones
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(05-07-2024, 11:58 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think we're all discounting a very real possibility that Morris gets some burn. At the end of the day he's still a 6'9 forward that plays with physicality and can stretch the floor. Is he an ideal Maxi replacement? Not at all. But he's still huge.

Of their bench guys, the ones that get the most burn are Wallace, Joe, and Hayward. They are 6'4, 6'4, and 6'7.

Mavs top 3 bench guys (and plugging Morris in for Maxi) is Exum(or THJ), Green, Morris. They are 6'5 (6'5), 6'5, and 6'9.

PJ and DJJ will play 30+ mins and are both big. But we have to leverage size here. Morris can allow us to do that.

I think you're forgetting someone.
Like Reply
(05-07-2024, 11:58 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think we're all discounting a very real possibility that Morris gets some burn. At the end of the day he's still a 6'9 forward that plays with physicality and can stretch the floor. Is he an ideal Maxi replacement? Not at all. But he's still huge.

I guess I'm not seeing the issue?  Are you worried about Hayward?  He was 10th in minutes in their first series, and I would probably rather have Green or Exum guard him than Morris.  Doesn't seem like there is enough there to warrant breaking up our top 8/9 rotation with a back of the bench player who can no longer play defense and had a 46 TS this season.
Like Reply
(05-07-2024, 12:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @espn_macmahon
Luka Doncic says Lu Dort is in the “top three” perimeter defenders in the league. Who else cracks that list? Doncic says Jrue Holiday and Mavs teammate Derrick Jones

I like that he's buttering him up. Luka's cooked him before

This is a young untested team we're facing. I want us to do what we can to destroy their confidence tonight
Like Reply
As in Round 1, I'll have to miss Game 1 for a work event, but will be religiously following the rest of the games. Clearly, that means the Mavs will (again) lose game 1 but win in 6, just as it did in Round 1.

You're welcome in advance, everyone.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, fifteenth
Like Reply
@Grantafseth
Kyrie Irving on defending a player like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander without fouling:

"I'm going to show my respect and say that he's a great player. But tonight, in the first half, there wasn't really a rhythm for a lot of players out there. It was a lot of slow down, watching free throws being taken, and adjusting to the way the game was being called. It felt like a regular season game tonight, in my perspective.

I don't speak for anyone else, but I think it was like a regular season game because we came off a very physical series against the LA Clippers, then we had some fouls called, and some of them may have been fouls or a majority of them. But as a competitor, you want the flow of the game to feel like the playoffs, with high physicality. It just feels better.

It's all about adjustments. It's about continuing to stay positive through some of the runs they make and being mature about who we're going against - a good team that's shown it all year. They have a starting five with a plus-minus through the roof and one of the top defenses. So, we'll give them credit, but we have to come into game two ready and prepared."
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 12:15 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: @Grantafseth
Kyrie Irving on defending a player like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander without fouling:

"I'm going to show my respect and say that he's a great player. But tonight, in the first half, there wasn't really a rhythm for a lot of players out there. It was a lot of slow down, watching free throws being taken, and adjusting to the way the game was being called. It felt like a regular season game tonight, in my perspective.

I don't speak for anyone else, but I think it was like a regular season game because we came off a very physical series against the LA Clippers, then we had some fouls called, and some of them may have been fouls or a majority of them. But as a competitor, you want the flow of the game to feel like the playoffs, with high physicality. It just feels better.

It's all about adjustments. It's about continuing to stay positive through some of the runs they make and being mature about who we're going against - a good team that's shown it all year. They have a starting five with a plus-minus through the roof and one of the top defenses. So, we'll give them credit, but we have to come into game two ready and prepared."

The 2nd quarter was clearly not called fairly and the Mavs need to try to determine why there is such a discrepancy.  It's not like Oklahoma City is a large market who will help playoff ratings if they advance.  They aren't the Lakers or Warriors.  The NBA doesn't have a financial incentive to push the Thunder to the next round.  

I think there's some lingering resentment against Mark Cuban among NBA referees.  He spent years publicly criticizing their competence publicly.  I don't recall another NBA owner publicly criticizing the NBA officials.  He did it repeatedly.  He is no longer the majority owner of the franchise.  Please get him into a suite and off the side of the court.  

Also, Jason Kidd needs to talk more with the officials and ask for explanations and state his case.  The 2nd quarter officiating was obscene and cost the Mavericks at least 6 points.  I thought the rest of the game was fairer but the 2nd quarter was not.  We need a coach who will communicate his perspective if not periodically protest. 

We would have lost this game even with more even officiating but the 2nd quarter was frustrating to watch and must have been exasperating for the players.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I don't think the officials are clear anymore since the recent changes to officiating. They're struggling to find common ground. It's inconsistent and the players and coaches know it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd
Like Reply
Look at the score of most of these plays. Game was close. I don't think Dallas would have won with the hot shooting by OKC in the second half, but Dallas has to find a way to punish OKC. Especially when Chet is out of the game. Even when he is in, Dallas needs to finish better inside.

Credit to OKC. They contested most of the shots but Dallas needs to finish.

https://x.com/iztok_franko/status/1788586281309516074
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 10:41 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Look at the score of most of these plays.  Game was close.  I don't think Dallas would have won with the hot shooting by OKC in the second half, but Dallas has to find a way to punish OKC.  Especially when Chet is out of the game.  Even when he is in, Dallas needs to finish better inside. 

Credit to OKC.  They contested most of the shots but Dallas needs to finish.

https://x.com/iztok_franko/status/1788586281309516074

Gafford usually finishes better but I think he was clearly fouled on one of those.

The play where he drives from the top of the key was pretty funny though.  I'm a huge Gafford fan but that should never happen again.
Like Reply
https://www.theringer.com/2024/5/8/24151...ty-thunder

Interesting read on Luka Doncic.
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 11:34 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://www.theringer.com/2024/5/8/24151...ty-thunder

Interesting read on Luka Doncic.

I think the biggest reason for Doncic's low on/off numbers is that his primary backup for several seasons was a currently top 10 NBA player going up against second units.  I realize Brunson is not then what he is now, but most stars do not have that quality of a player coming in when they go to the bench.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 12:54 PM)mvossman Wrote: I think the biggest reason for Doncic's low on/off numbers is that his primary backup for several seasons was a currently top 10 NBA player going up against second units.  I realize Brunson is not then what he is now, but most stars do not have that quality of a player coming in when they go to the bench.

I agree with this rationale, but I ALSO think Luka, great as he is, has some ways to go in the area of applying his astonishing skills in such a way that contributes to team success. 

The roster could always be better, sure, but I don't think it has been as bad as the group-think around here has bemoaned for the past few seasons. Right now, I'd say it's up there with all but maybe 3-4 teams, especially when Kleber is healthy, and there's opportunity to get better as they get more comfortable with each other. 

The bulk of the improvement, as I see it, will need to come from Luka, and from coaching. I think Donnie Nelson had it right a few years back when he did that radio interview. As a scorer, Luka has already arrived at the top of the talent/basketball IQ pool, but as a PG he has 2-3 more levels to reach before the Mavs can be in the national conversation of contenders. That's why he's not winning MVP's.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, LifeAquatic
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 01:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree with this rationale, but I ALSO think Luka, great as he is, has some ways to go in the area of applying his astonishing skills in such a way that contributes to team success. 

The roster could always be better, sure, but I don't think it has been as bad as the group-think around here has bemoaned for the past few seasons. Right now, I'd say it's up there with all but maybe 3-4 teams, especially when Kleber is healthy, and there's opportunity to get better as they get more comfortable with each other. 

The bulk of the improvement, as I see it, will need to come from Luka, and from coaching. I think Donnie Nelson had it right a few years back when he did that radio interview. As a scorer, Luka has already arrived at the top of the talent/basketball IQ pool, but as a PG he has 2-3 more levels to reach before the Mavs can be in the national conversation of contenders. That's why he's not winning MVP's.

It is tricky because the ball in Luka's hands is going to lead to good shots and most likely a top offense.  I agree with you there are a few things I would like to see him do as a dominant ball handler.   He is going to make the right decision on most plays and the results speak for themselves.   I would like to see him realize when a player is on a heater that I will do this small movement to get the hot guy in better position and feed him when he is hot.  Also, when a player is cold or in a bad streak, I would like to see him to look to get that player easy looks.  Maybe it is a shot.  Maybe it is give him some touches, etc.    It is small things but I think he can improve there.   

I am not saying he never does this, but for a guy who has the ball so much, I would like it to be done more.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply