Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 5 Playoffs 2024: Dallas Mavericks (2-2) vs. Los Angeles Clippers (2-2)
Can't wait for friday. Let tonight be the Clippers' last game at Staples
Like Reply
I know Green made the 4 point play, but otherwise he’s been an absolute zero on offense. He looks like a scared kitten out there. It seems that when the ball comes his way, he can’t get it out of his hands fast enough. He hasn’t been a plus on defense or hustle most of this series to justify his minutes either. Heck, at this point give all his minutes to Exum or even Lawson. I thought Exum looked more confident last night, and Lawson doesn’t appear to be one who plays with any fear….It’s a shame because we could really use a consistently confident and hustling Green this playoffs. He could be a real difference maker on the second unit. Doesn’t seem too much to ask of a 4th year former 1st rounder, right?
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 2 users Like OBX Maverick's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
Wow, SO impressed by out D last night! PJ and DJJ were amazing, even though they did not give us much on offense (DJJ to a lesser extend), they were maybe our best players on the court just because of their defense. Also were surprised by Luka's movement on D since his knee is obviously very bad. Great to see that Maxi found his stroke and Lively was great in the second half.

What exactly did we change? Zubac was killing us, again, in the first half and then only Plumlee for almost the whole second half? What was Lue thinking?

Also can we stop letting players like DJJ and PJ dribble up the ball? They can not do it in pressure situations. I understand we want to reduce the burden on Ky and Luka but we can not afford TOs like that.

Need to close out the game in 6! Hopefully, Harden and PG won't show up again and this 5th game will be their legacy of an epic choke-job. Also, why is Westbrook still in the league? Dude's got nothing but intensity left.
[-] The following 6 users Like meistermatze's post:
  • BigDirk41, fifteenth, KillerLeft, michaeltex, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 06:37 AM)meistermatze Wrote: What exactly did we change? Zubac was killing us, again, in the first half and then only Plumlee for almost the whole second half? What was Lue thinking?

Zubac has been good in this series.  I have always liked him but he has really stepped up in this series.  I agree though, after his hot start he was pretty quiet.  Did we change things?   Gafford got off to a rough start but our centers got 20 and 9.  This is closer to the numbers they gave us in the regular season.  Add this to the stellar Maxi game.   While Zubac was good, Plumlee really struggled.   Plumlee and Russ pairing is probably like our groans when we see Hardaway at the 4 with Jaden lineups.
Like Reply
I think the Mavs are doing a great job of using size to their advantage, not disadvantage. This is always an option when you have a 6-7 PG who is very strong and long.

It was interesting to me in this game that Kidd pushed it to the max and used the Opposite of Small Ball lineup for a stretch (and it was effective).

Lively - Kleber- PJW frontcourt ... I think Kleber was playing the 3
Luka - Kyrie backcourt, and then Luka-Green backcourt (where your smallest is 6-5, and your SF is 6-10)
[-] The following 4 users Like F Gump's post:
  • fifteenth, michaeltex, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
This particular video from this podcast is largely centered around how the Mavs duo of Doncic/Kyrie is truly built better than the duo of Harden/George.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGcwOTsxswE&list=WL&index=64&t=1110s

Terrific video and spot on.
[-] The following 3 users Like Winter's post:
  • MFFL, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-01-2024, 11:27 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Dear Clippers,
I hear there's a great deal on flights from Dallas to Cancun. You all might look into it.
Signed,
Scott41theMavs

I hope the Mavs close them out and move on, but I've seen this movie before. Not really sure about booking those flights yet. This series played out the same way the last time. Both teams can win on each other's court.
Like Reply
I'm just so impressed with this game and this team.

They get completely demolished in two of the first four first quarters. In game 4, Luka looks like he's done being Luka for the season, with no ability to dribble past any Clipper on the court. And the team is trying to grind out wins with most of the team in a big stage shooting slump.

I thought maybe in game 5 the team, with One Third Luka, could grind out another defensive win. But what we got instead was calm, calculated adjustments, no sign of discouragement from the shooting woes, coaching adjustments that appear to be exactly what was needed, AND more like 75% Luka, who started to shoot like real Luka in the second half!

I'm blown away, even more this morning, than I was last night.

Well done Mavs!!! And thank you Mavs!

This team is well coached (come at me bro), emotionally strong, they love each other and have each other's backs, they're tough, skilled and composed. Come on. Let's go!
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 6 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, MFFL, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
I wonder if Clippers will try with Kawhi again, to try and throw Mavs off balance. I think that is their only chance
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 09:49 AM)omahen Wrote: I wonder if Clippers will try with Kawhi again, to try and throw Mavs off balance. I think that is their only chance

Based on the series so far, I think their only chance is that Luka goes back to One Third Luka and the Mavs Big Stage Shooting Slump comes back. 

It sure does look like that if the Mavs just shoot close to their averages, the Clippers have no chance.

I mean, even in game 4, the Clippers shoot an absurd percentage on contested threes, the Mavs can't shoot, and the Clippers barely won.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 5 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MFFL, michaeltex, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 08:21 AM)Winter Wrote: This particular video from this podcast is largely centered around how the Mavs duo of Doncic/Kyrie is truly built better than the duo of Harden/George.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGcwOTsxswE&list=WL&index=64&t=1110s

Terrific video and spot on.

This guy is really good and well informed. Take some time and listen to him and maybe invest appropriate betting money.
Like Reply
DJJ is finding his home at the 3 on this team. He is only ok at guarding 4s but he’s great at defending 3s and most 1-2s. He’s extremely athletic and is becoming less of a liability on offense. He is also making himself some money. Let’s begin worrying about that about the 2nd week of June.

Green needs these minutes and some success desperately so he can be our other slow developing back up or alternative 3. Even Playoff Kleber is looking good for an occasional 3.
PJ at the 4 and our 3 person Center tag team are rapidly becoming locks as well.
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 04:02 AM)OBX Maverick Wrote: I know Green made the 4 point play, but otherwise he’s been an absolute zero on offense. He looks like a scared kitten out there. It seems that when the ball comes his way, he can’t get it out of his hands fast enough. He hasn’t been a plus on defense or hustle most of this series to justify his minutes either. Heck, at this point give all his minutes to Exum or even Lawson. I thought Exum looked more confident last night, and Lawson doesn’t appear to be one who plays with any fear….It’s a shame because we could really use a consistently confident and hustling Green this playoffs. He could be a real difference maker on the second unit. Doesn’t seem too much to ask of a 4th year former 1st rounder, right?

It's not a confident thing for Green...he just has zero skills on offense and the team knows it. They probably barely develop any offensive skills for him in practice because at this point, they know all he can be is a guy who runs around and gets rebounds. I actually don't think he's been playing scared on offense, he just can't shoot at all so he's been playing the only way he can to try to stay on the court. If you want him to shoot open shots then he will look like Westbrook and go 1-8 to hurt the team (also why they play better without THJ since they don't have to worry about his cold shooting being a negative). At best, Green is a 10-15 minute energy player who can provide some quick rest for the starters but that's it.

I fully expect them to finally trade Green and THJ this summer to upgrade for bigger/longer players as it's evident with DJJ and PJ those are the types of players who fit better on offense and defense.

Whatever players that they trade for, if they're not 6'7" or taller with long arms then I'm not interested!
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 11:50 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: I actually don't think he's been playing scared on offense, he just can't shoot at all so he's been playing the only way he can to try to stay on the court. If you want him to shoot open shots then he will look like Westbrook and go 1-8 to hurt the team (also why they play better without THJ since they don't have to worry about his cold shooting being a negative).

38.5 3P%

If you need a bigger sample size. The last two seasons.

39.5 3P%
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 11:50 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: It's not a confident thing for Green...he just has zero skills on offense and the team knows it. They probably barely develop any offensive skills for him in practice because at this point, they know all he can be is a guy who runs around and gets rebounds. I actually don't think he's been playing scared on offense, he just can't shoot at all so he's been playing the only way he can to try to stay on the court. If you want him to shoot open shots then he will look like Westbrook and go 1-8 to hurt the team (also why they play better without THJ since they don't have to worry about his cold shooting being a negative). At best, Green is a 10-15 minute energy player who can provide some quick rest for the starters but that's it.

I fully expect them to finally trade Green and THJ this summer to upgrade for bigger/longer players as it's evident with DJJ and PJ those are the types of players who fit better on offense and defense.

Whatever players that they trade for, if they're not 6'7" or taller with long arms then I'm not interested!

i  disagree completely.  The kid has some talent. He has shown he can shoot the corner 3 and has shown the ability to take the ball to the rim. I wouldn’t mind at all if he took a deep breath and shot a wide open 3 when the opportunity presented.  It just looks right now like the intensity and speed of the playoff game is spinning him in circles. It’s even shown on the defensive end…..Take for instance when he drew the charge on (i think it was) Powell. He was flying out of control and had not a clue he was about to get laid out. Ends up flying sideways into the seats like a rag doll.  It was almost comical. I am rooting for the kid and would love for him to provide a productive 15 minutes of hustle and open shot-making when he’s in there. 

Will be interesting to see, however,  if he gets any playing time when THJ returns.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OBX Maverick's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 12:58 PM)OBX Maverick Wrote: . . . when THJ returns.

Bring us all down, why don’t ya.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
First: Screw the NBA for their horrible schedule, that made me miss the game.
Second: Yay highlights. Boss performance.
Third: They have to think really hard about Hardy. The guy is a flamethrower, which on paper is exactly what we need. Problem is that they try to turn him into the Scorer/Playmaker, which he is absolutely not. At least for now. Unless the offer is too good to resist, I think I´d keep him at least until the next deadline and truly find out what we have. Next year we should be able to experiment a little more with line-ups during the regular season, cause we are a much stronger team now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41, mvossman
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 01:08 PM)The Jom Wrote: Bring us all down, why don’t ya.

LOL
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 12:03 PM)Smitty Wrote: 38.5 3P%

If you need a bigger sample size. The last two seasons.

39.5 3P%

Don’t try to confuse us with data. We know what we know!
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 06:37 AM)meistermatze Wrote: What exactly did we change? Zubac was killing us, again, in the first half and then only Plumlee for almost the whole second half? What was Lue thinking?

The biggest change for me was we played big for 48 minutes with a whole lot of Lively and  Kleber playing the four. That wore the Clippers down, coupled with the full court press against Harden to make him uncomfortable.
Like Reply