Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs - 1st Round: Los Angeles Clippers - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-2!
(04-20-2024, 03:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Its so refreshing to type out more than 2 guys (not named DFS/Maxi) to guard wings.

DJJ, PJ, Maxi, Exum have some big jobs to do. Lets hope they're up to it.

I know it’s not an opinion many share, but I also think Green will be a plus defender in the playoffs.. there was a stretch after Kidd made the starting lineup changes where Green was doing a much better job navigating screens. It looked like he got some coaching finally. Then he got hurt.

Maybe THJ being out tomorrow will give Green an opportunity to play legit minutes game 1 and prove that he belongs for good!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(04-20-2024, 04:01 PM)Smitty Wrote: I know it’s not an opinion many share, but I also think Green will be a plus defender in the playoffs.. there was a stretch after Kidd made the starting lineup changes where Green was doing a much better job navigating screens. It looked like he got some coaching finally. Then he got hurt.

Maybe THJ being out tomorrow will give Green an opportunity to play game 1 and prove that he belongs for good!

I think Green is a fantastic team defender. He moves his feet well and is able to stifle most guards on drives. 

But if there's a screen coming he gets hung up quite often, to the point where he can be a defensive liability.

Green is at his best when he gets 10 shots a game and puts up 10-12 a game to go along with his hustle. I'm curious how Green is worked back into the rotation.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 09:22 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: For Skip...or Trump?

They're both frauds..
[-] The following 3 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • ballsrchr, Ghost of Podkolzin, Winter
Like Reply
(04-20-2024, 04:01 PM)Smitty Wrote: I know it’s not an opinion many share, but I also think Green will be a plus defender in the playoffs.. there was a stretch after Kidd made the starting lineup changes where Green was doing a much better job navigating screens. It looked like he got some coaching finally. Then he got hurt.

Maybe THJ being out tomorrow will give Green an opportunity to play legit minutes game 1 and prove that he belongs for good!

Well Timmy wasn’t ruled out but I think Green proved that he belongs in the rotation and Tim does not.
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 07:16 PM)Smitty Wrote: Well Timmy wasn’t ruled out but I think Green proved that he belongs in the rotation and Tim does not.

Kidd is not going to bench THJ. If he's not making shots, his minutes might get cut, but he's not getting benched for Green. Not happening...
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 07:23 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Kidd is not going to bench THJ. If he's not making shots, his minutes might get cut, but he's not getting benched for Green. Not happening...

Desperate times. He’s coaching for an extension in the offseason. A first round exit and he’s a lame duck coach. If all of us can see it, the coaching staff can too…

Edit: I don’t think it happens in Game 2 but another showing like this one and it’s definitely a possibility.
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 07:26 PM)Smitty Wrote: Desperate times. He’s coaching for an extension in the offseason. A first round exit and he’s a lame duck coach. If all of us can see it, the coaching staff can too…

Edit: I don’t think it happens in Game 2 but another showing like this one and it’s definitely a possibility.

Green isn't a consistent enough offensive player for Kidd to trust. Sure, he's better on D but THJ can get on a heater every now and then. That's what my reasoning is as to why THJ's name will be called before Green's off the bench. It would help if they got something out of Exum, but he goes MIA at times as well. Mavs lose this series if they can't get more scoring from others besides Ky and Luka.
Like Reply
Tim has to come out. He can’t dribble and is terrible in transition. That’s the Clippers primary weakness. Mavs need to speed the games up if they want to win the series. Josh can help with that. THJ cannot.
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 09:09 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Green isn't a consistent enough offensive player for Kidd to trust. Sure, he's better on D but THJ can get on a heater every now and then. That's what my reasoning is as to why THJ's name will be called before Green's off the bench. It would help if they got something out of Exum, but he goes MIA at times as well. Mavs lose this series if they can't get more scoring from others besides Ky and Luka.

If Tim dials back his bad shot selection because it is the playoffs...what use is he?

He took 5 shots yesterday...missed two layups if I am not mistaken.

Im not keeping Green on the bench for 5 shots from THJ.  Lets say we increase that to 9 shots and he makes three 3pointers...thats 9 pionts.  I assume THJ's defense gives up more than that...or stresses out defense out to the point that he is being attacked so much that the 9 points does outweigh the cost.

What is there to trust offensively?  

Now...I dont think Mavs showed their full hand...and can probably get Tim some more looks that allow him to get going.   But why didnt they yesterday in a playoff game?   Do playoff games not matter and you can have scheduled losses?
Like Reply
I think Kidds job is very much on the line if Mavs lose this series. He was pushing through media for extension after the regular season, but I think Mavs sent a very clear message that the season is not over yet and final evaluation will be done after the playoffs. Mavs paid a lot of assets for this team and not much they can do to seriously improve the team. Result will impact player value. After game one, no players at the second guard position have a positive value. Basically we have Luka and Kai with PJ having a decent game as a fifth starter level guy (very good defense with a bit of an offense). Everyone else was lost. Of course I don't believe Mavs will continue to be this bad, but a first round exit would still destroy a lot of player value, imho.
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 09:25 AM)omahen Wrote: I think Kidds job is very much on the line if Mavs lose this series. He was pushing through media for extension after the regular season, but I think Mavs sent a very clear message that the season is not over yet and final evaluation will be done after the playoffs. Mavs paid a lot of assets for this team and not much they can do to seriously improve the team. Result will impact player value. After game one, no players at the second guard position have a positive value. Basically we have Luka and Kai with PJ having a decent game as a fifth starter level guy (very good defense with a bit of an offense). Everyone else was lost. Of course I don't believe Mavs will continue to be this bad, but a first round exit would still destroy a lot of player value, imho.

Gafford...foul trouble within first 4 minutes of the game.  Doesnt matter if its his fault or not...he wasnt out there trying to murder people...yet he is basically eliminated from the game until second half...after 4 minutes of play.

The NBA has to fix this.   He is a key player.
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 09:31 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Gafford...foul trouble within first 4 minutes of the game.  Doesnt matter if its his fault or not...he wasnt out there trying to murder people...yet he is basically eliminated from the game until second half...after 4 minutes of play.

The NBA has to fix this.   He is a key player.

OR ya know Gafford can just defend and not foul...?

Not the NBA's fault Gafford jumped into Zubac.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 11:28 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: OR ya know Gafford can just defend and not foul...?

Not the NBA's fault Gafford jumped into Zubac.

Jumping and quick instinctive movements are part of the game...to call ticky tack fouls for such things doesnt make sense.

Contact is going to happen.   These guys arent trying to strike each other(in most cases)...they are trying to defend easy layups and dunks.

To much control is in the offensive players hands...he can switch directions on a dime and the defender makes a quick movement to defend and gets a ticky tack foul.

You know I am right.   All I have to do is show you any one game in the NBA and the players are complaining on the court about weak calls.   Any one game....I can show you lots of bad calls and players complaining about ticky tack.   Im the unreasonable one though..RIGHT
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 12:01 PM)youzigizag Wrote: You know I am right.   All I have to do is show you any one game in the NBA and the players are complaining on the court about weak calls.   Any one game....I can show you lots of bad calls and players complaining about ticky tack.   Im the unreasonable one though..RIGHT

Mavs fans can quickly show you a video compilation or two about a star complaining about no-calls, not ticky tack fouls Smile 

You know I am right!
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 12:06 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs fans can quickly show you a video compilation or two about a star complaining about no-calls, not ticky tack fouls Smile 

You know I am right!

Yeah...and I am reasonable...you should be able to review that to a certain extent without slowing the game down too much.

Im not side-stepping no calls.   No calls and bad calls are a real issue in the NBA.

Odd that the League doesnt care about how bad the ref'ing is.  Hmmmmm
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 12:56 AM)Knutsen Wrote: So if Kawhi were to miss the first or second game we absolutely have to win all of these. Otherwise I fear it could end up like our series against Utah a couple of years ago did, in which we were in front or tied without Luka - and when he came back the Jazz were done.

To quote myself: we‘re almost there now. Game 2 is an absolut must-win for us, because the Clippers have the chance of a huge reinforcement and we don‘t.
Like Reply
Gafford is going to have to show greatness...that's our only option. Lively is in a tough situation coming off the injury and losing his mom...plus he's a rookie anyway. His role should be simplified in the playoffs where he's not asked to do too much.

If Gafford doesn't have a good game then we will keep seeing the Maxi Kleber Show (and probably an even bigger dose of it). Kleber will always be the Kidd's insurance because he's the only big man with 3-pt range, even though he's not really a good shooter. When all else fails, Kleber will be the chosen one at center because the Mavs can only play 5-out offense. But even though Kleber has 3-pt range, since he's not shooting well then defenses will leave him open anyway.
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 12:15 PM)Knutsen Wrote: To quote myself: we‘re almost there now. Game 2 is an absolut must-win for us, because the Clippers have the chance of a huge reinforcement and we don‘t.

A game two win would be nice, but it's not imperative. There are plenty of teams in playoff history that have lost the first two games on the road, and came back to tie or win the series. In fact it's almost expected. Mavs just have to take care of home.
Like Reply
6 minutes: Luka-Kai-Exum-PJ-Maxi
Ortg 130.8 Drtg 90.9 NetRtg 39.9

5 minutes: Luka-Kai-Green-PJ-Maxi
Ortg 177.8 Drtg 87.5 NetRtg 90.3

Matches my memory. The only time the Mavs looked like a basketball team was small-ball and that Green was really good.

The players better take ownership and show up tomorrow. Almost two weeks without competitive ball and it showed early on. I expect the Mavs to respond in Game 2.
Like Reply
I don't expect Hardaway's minutes to disappear but I hope he is on a short leash. I don't see Kidd taking him out of the rotation.

To be honest, I almost fear a early Hardaway basket vs when he misses his first few shots. He makes one of his early shots and you know he is going to take 2,3, 4 really tough shots.
Like Reply