Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Belated Apology to the Shoe Salesman
Damn!  You knew exactly what you were doing!
[-] The following 2 users Like WildArkieBoy's post:
  • fifteenth, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I don't need to apologize. I hadn't made any determination. I was just waitin' and'a seein'...

I'm very encouraged. So far.
Like Reply
I love WAB posts! As always, more WAB!
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
My one and only remaining complaint with the Mavs front office is that it's not clear to the fan base who, exactly, is making these decisions. Do we congratulate Cuban? Harrison? Lindsay? Finley?

I mean, every team has a mix of voices in the decision-making flow, I get that. But, it would be nice to know where the buck actually stops when it comes to coaching hires, roster moves, etc. And, now that Cuban is no longer Governor, this is more cloudy than ever, imho. Don't get me wrong - they're on a very good run of decisions.
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 02:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: My one and only remaining complaint with the Mavs front office is that it's not clear to the fan base who, exactly, is making these decisions. Do we congratulate Cuban? Harrison? Lindsay? Finley?

I mean, every team has a mix of voices in the decision-making flow, I get that. But, it would be nice to know where the buck actually stops when it comes to coaching hires, roster moves, etc. And, now that Cuban is no longer Governor, this is more cloudy than ever, imho. Don't get me wrong - they're on a very good run of decisions.

The bottom line is that Nico + Lindsay = competence. That's good enough for me.
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 02:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: My one and only remaining complaint with the Mavs front office is that it's not clear to the fan base who, exactly, is making these decisions. Do we congratulate Cuban? Harrison? Lindsay? Finley?

I have zero knowledge of how this works. I'll just say that the Gaf/PJ trade doesn't seem like a Cuban deal to me. Maybe that's just because it seemed to address team needs so perfectly without involving big names or bargain basement shopping.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • chaparral, Mavs2021
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 02:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I have zero knowledge of how this works. I'll just say that the Gaf/PJ trade doesn't seem like a Cuban deal to me. Maybe that's just because it seemed to address team needs so perfectly without involving big names or bargain basement shopping.

I think your right.

Also, I've seen the new governor Dumont on tv now at 3 different games.  The 1st he was sitting w/Cyn and Nico.  2nd he was sitting w/Dirk.  3rd he was sitting again w/Nico.  That should tell you something as well.
Like Reply

I think that... Dennis Lindsey is driving the bus that Cuban, Finley and Harrison are riding on. Cuban and Finley seem like they be passengers, while Harrison is the ticket collector.

The roster was bad before Lindsey joined.

Then all of a sudden, the roster improved after Lindsey joined. 

Surely, that's not a coincidence?

1 + 1 = 2.

Lindsey was also at the Jazz when they drafted Dante Exum, as another hint.

And the Jazz also had better rosters when he was there, than the Mavericks have had in the previous 10 years, which fully rules out Cuban and Finley.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RGP1981's post:
  • chaparral
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 02:55 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: I think that... Dennis Lindsey is driving the bus that Cuban, Finley and Harrison are riding on. Cuban and Finley seem like they be passengers, while Harrison is the ticket collector.

The roster was bad before Lindsey joined.

Then all of a sudden, the roster improved after Lindsey joined. 

Surely, that's not a coincidence?

1 + 1 = 2.

Lindsey was also at the Jazz when they drafted Dante Exum, as another hint.

And the Jazz also had better rosters when he was there, than the Mavericks have had in the previous 10 years, which fully rules out Cuban and Finley.

I have mentioned this as well.  Things turned better after the Lindsey acquisition.

Im not an historian on trades...but they instantly got more savy and incoming players got better after Lindsey.

Hard to imagine a hard working shoe salesman with people skills was conjuring up NBA GM level moves while responding to texts from Kyrie and other Super Stars about their Nike gear needs for the next 6 months.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 02:50 PM)chaparral Wrote: I think your right.

Also, I've seen the new governor Dumont on tv now at 3 different games.  The 1st he was sitting w/Cyn and Nico.  2nd he was sitting w/Dirk.  3rd he was sitting again w/Nico.  That should tell you something as well.

Dumont seems to be a likable guy.  I am sure he will get attacked in the future in Mavs dont win it all.  He will be considered soft/too likeable and the Mavs need a "Drill Sargant" to win games...

But he and Nico seemed to be getting along fine one game...Nico was laughing his butt off from what appeared to be Dumont jokes.

That aside...assuming perception is a thing...anyone notice how Dumont is always on his phone?  Just seems weird to me.   I love the internet and how info travels too...but to commit to a game with cameras on you and you are nose deep in your phone most of the time seems weird.   Could be unlucky camera shots.  I know the guy runs businesses and has underlings asking him for guidance on decisions...but damn...NBA games are only  2 hours and 15 minutes long.
Like Reply
This thread took a weird turn.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 05:12 PM)The Jom Wrote: This thread took a weird turn.

How so?
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 04:32 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Dumont seems to be a likable guy.  I am sure he will get attacked in the future in Mavs dont win it all.  He will be considered soft/too likeable and the Mavs need a "Drill Sargant" to win games...

But he and Nico seemed to be getting along fine one game...Nico was laughing his butt off from what appeared to be Dumont jokes.

That aside...assuming perception is a thing...anyone notice how Dumont is always on his phone?  Just seems weird to me.   I love the internet and how info travels too...but to commit to a game with cameras on you and you are nose deep in your phone most of the time seems weird.   Could be unlucky camera shots.  I know the guy runs businesses and has underlings asking him for guidance on decisions...but damn...NBA games are only  2 hours and 15 minutes long.
Like Reply
Whats weird about that observation?

Saw it at least a few games where Nico and Dumont were next to bench at camera angle of game. Dude was eyes deep in phone instead of the game. And not just one game.

I guess my point is...if you have so many decisions to make and so many people needing you...why go to the games on front row you are half interested in? Just stay at home or office or in a box(does AAC have boxes) or go to a restaurant or bar and do both.

I guess optics arent a thing. Just like my observation isnt exact science. My point is...if I am taking business calls so much or team chat rooms so seriously...i would stay away from cameras.

Who goes to a fancy, performance based hibachi and looks at their phone most of the time? Im an idiot for saying most when it was for the few seconds the camera was on him, right.
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 05:40 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Whats weird about that observation?

Saw it at least a few games where Nico and Dumont were next to bench at camera angle of game.  Dude was eyes deep in phone instead of the game.  And not just one game.

I guess my point is...if you have so many decisions to make and so many people needing you...why go to the games on front row you are half interested in?  Just stay at home or office or in a box(does AAC have boxes) or go to a restaurant or bar and do both.

I guess optics arent a thing.  Just like my observation isnt exact science.  My point is...if I am taking business calls so much or team chat rooms so seriously...i would stay away from cameras.

Who goes to a fancy, performance based hibachi and looks at their phone most of the time?  Im an idiot for saying most when it was for the few seconds the camera was on him, right.

Dang. Sounds like you’re looking for an excuse to not like the guy.
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 06:22 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Dang. Sounds like you’re looking for an excuse to not like the guy.

:/

When I said in a previous post he seems likeable?

I said optics wise...its weird to go to a game and stare at your phone as I have seen him do a few games.  Could be unlucky camera angles...but if I am a head honcho I am factoring in optics.   

This isnt a one off occasion I am speaking of.  This is almost every time I see them show the guy.   Nico rarely is looking at his phone why I see them put him on.  

But...I dont have exact numbers...so whatever.   I could go further down this power rabbit whole and speak about how Presidents use perception and cameras to shape opinion...

I am either not going to the game if I am going to be on my phone and cameras are focusing on me...or I am asking the TV production crew not to film.

Obviously the guy doesnt care enough.  Im just saying that the TV crew shows this guy on his phone a lot and he sits at angles for the camera to show him on his phone a lot.

Im overly emotional about it...but so is this board about Kidd and his first 2/3rds of the season coaching.
Like Reply
I mean his first two years were complete disasters (the second being worse than the first). The last offseason was completely different experience. The only major change I am aware of is the addition of Lindsey, who happens to have more front office experience anybody else we have by a long shot. Seems very likely he is the driving force behind the improved change in methodology.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
Can anyone explain to me the change in methodology?

Cuban is ON RECORD saying that the best Companies in the World are run by mathematicians. I ignorantly assume he was suggesting his team was run by them as well.

How are the Mavs going from "mathematician" to better "mathematician"? Doesnt seem like the math would be so different that there could be a wide variety in mathematicians. Maybe there is some wiggle room in philosophy based on game plan...but I dont see how the common denominator on recent transactions is Lindsey while also saying Math is behind it? What is Lindsey doing so well in Math?
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 07:10 PM)mvossman Wrote: I mean his first two years were complete disasters (the second being worse than the first).  The last offseason was completely different experience.  The only major change I am aware of is the addition of Lindsey, who happens to have more front office experience anybody else we have by a long shot.  Seems very likely he is the driving force behind the improved change in methodology.

This is a very logical take. Doesn’t mean it’s correct. But it makes a lot of sense. 

Another logical theory might be that Nico gave Kidd too much input and shut that down after the Great McGee MiStake. If I have the timeline right, that would include the Kyrie acquisition as part of the new, improved decisionmaking.
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 08:34 PM)The Jom Wrote: This is a very logical take. Doesn’t mean it’s correct. But it makes a lot of sense. 

Another logical theory might be that Nico gave Kidd too much input and shut that down after the Great McGee MiStake. If I have the timeline right, that would include the Kyrie acquisition as part of the new, improved decisionmaking.

Kyrie feels like a Cuban move (as everything else they did the first two years of Nico's reign) but the main reason Cuban brought in Nico was to help land big fish and Nico probably contributed to Kyrie resigning here (although I am guessing the reasonable price was Lindsey influenced).
Like Reply