Poll: What does this team need most?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
3D wing / small-ball four - 24-28 MIN - defends Kawhi/LeBron/Tatum-types alongside DFS and Porzingis at five.
40.00%
14 40.00%
Banger starting center - 24-28 MIN - bumps Powell to bench & Kleber to backup four.
14.29%
5 14.29%
Dynamic playmaker - 28+ MIN - replaces THJ as bucket-getter & fulfilts offseason target; a Kemba Walker-type
17.14%
6 17.14%
Continuity - Don't make any changes and let's see what this team can do.
28.57%
10 28.57%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs greatest need
What does this team need most?

I've tended to think 3D wing (yes, a Covington-type) just based on how the Mavs have played as a unit. They match up poorly with the Clippers and could really use another wing when they go small.

But Derek Harper wants a 'Sheed Wallace type; and Shawn Marion says that need a banger. I trust their BBIQ (and inside intel) more than my own, so I might lean this direction.

Last, we know Kemba Walker was Donnie's offseason priority. And Carlisle has hinted that he'd like to see more ball movement and less of a load placed on Doncic. I agree they could really use another playmaker, especially after watching all the Celtics weapons .... athough offense hasn't been a problem.

A tough call really. If the Mavs can only address one major need this year, where to you go first?
Like Reply
Honestly, I think they could use and “need” all 3. As far as most important now? I really feel the big is the greatest need, unless DFS falls off a cliff. However, with that in mind, what we need IMO is a player that meets one of those needs that can be acquired as soon as that player/trade can be realized. If we can get all 3, great! If we can get 2, wonderful! If we can get 1, spectator! If we can’t get any, but tried with an appropriate amount of insistence on upgrading the team, not bad!

I want some of these guys being mentioned as available. If we half ass our way to negotiations to acquire one or more (no way of ever knowing this) that would be the only thing that would be horrible. By that I mean, if we go into negotiations with the mindset of not messing with chemistry for this group, we won’t put our best foot forward to acquire the player that has the chance to take this team further than the current team (no one can possibly know this either).
Like Reply
I picked continuity because the non-star portion of the Mavs roster is playing so well and because I think they still have room to grow. I think their value is "arrow up".

But if I had two votes, I would have picked 3&D Wing / Small-Ball 4. I think that's the greatest non-stand pat need. It'd be great to have someone a little larger than DFS to help defend Kawhi and who can shoot. Maxi is the closest thing we have to that at the moment.
Like Reply
(12-20-2019, 12:12 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Maxi is the closest thing we have to that at the moment.

There's a ripple effect of each of these moves and Maxi could be the key.

If you add a 3D wing, Jackson's minutes will get cut (or he'll be gone) and probably, maybe Maxi's as well.

If you add a starting center, Powell becomes your backup C, and Maxi steps into the backup PF & de facto small ball four when he plays with KP. Can Kleber defend an explosive wing when opponents go small? 

If you add a starting guard, the Powell/Kleber center rotation is intact, so THJ probably becomes the extra wing on the floor when opponents go small.
Like Reply
I think that THJ is the biggest roster problem, and Powell is the position of greatest immediate upgrade need. The "3-and-D wing" thing presumes we're contending this year, when we are not unless one or two of those two greater needs is met first. I agree with the long view. I can see Fif's POV from the standpoint of increasing the value of our assets. 

I would say that the best long-view move is probably to go all-in on Bogdan. I was concerned about the defensive fit next to Luka, but his DRPM is actually solid. There's your 3rd-best player. Then trade THJ with our lottery pick for something useful this summer.
Like Reply
(12-20-2019, 01:18 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think that THJ is the biggest roster problem, and Powell is the position of greatest immediate upgrade need. The "3-and-D wing" thing presumes we're contending this year, when we are not unless one or two of those two greater needs is met first. I agree with the long view. I can see Fif's POV from the standpoint of increasing the value of our assets. 

I would say that the best long-view move is probably to go all-in on Bogdan. I was concerned about the defensive fit next to Luka, but his DRPM is actually solid. There's your 3rd-best player. Then trade THJ with our lottery pick for something useful this summer.

Powell is a liability on defense but offense is extremely better with him on the floor. Changes are not that simple. In the long term it would be probably smart to find better players for Powell, THJ and DFS role. In the short term it is best to stay put and wait till summer. Unless something really great comes up.

Bogdan would be a good start if he would be available for a reasonable price, which I doubt. Then go for a legit 3-D wing in the summer.
Like Reply
(12-20-2019, 12:30 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: There's a ripple effect of each of these moves and Maxi could be the key.

If you add a 3D wing, Jackson's minutes will get cut (or he'll be gone) and probably, maybe Maxi's as well.

If you add a starting center, Powell becomes your backup C, and Maxi steps into the backup PF & de facto small ball four when he plays with KP. Can Kleber defend an explosive wing when opponents go small? 

If you add a starting guard, the Powell/Kleber center rotation is intact, so THJ probably becomes the extra wing on the floor when opponents go small.

Yeah, really good points. My thought (which I don't think the team agrees with) would be that the 3&D 3/4 would start along with Luka/(SG)/DFS/KP, between DFS and KP, and that Powell and Maxi would be the bench 4/5 together. But I'm open to the possibility that the team's idea that the Luka/Powell/KP grouping is more powerful offensively due to Powell's toward the basket gravity than adding that extra 3&D wing.
Like Reply
(12-20-2019, 01:43 PM)omahen Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 01:18 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think that THJ is the biggest roster problem, and Powell is the position of greatest immediate upgrade need. The "3-and-D wing" thing presumes we're contending this year, when we are not unless one or two of those two greater needs is met first. I agree with the long view. I can see Fif's POV from the standpoint of increasing the value of our assets.

I would say that the best long-view move is probably to go all-in on Bogdan. I was concerned about the defensive fit next to Luka, but his DRPM is actually solid. There's your 3rd-best player. Then trade THJ with our lottery pick for something useful this summer.

Powell is a liability on defense but offense is extremely better with him on the floor. Changes are not that simple. In the long term it would be probably smart to find better players for Powell, THJ and DFS role. In the short term it is best to stay put and wait till summer. Unless something really great comes up.

Bogdan would be a good start if he would be available for a reasonable price, which I doubt. Then go for a legit 3-D wing in the summer.

"Reasonable price" is all the Mavs can pay, since their assets are so depleted (from trading for a star - good - and from failing to use cap room appropriately - bad). If Sacramento is willing to take anything the Mavs can give for Bogdan, great; if not, well, we just didn't have the resources. Only way I'd have a problem is if Sac would have been willing to take a deal we could have offered and we said no. Bogdan is the age and ability level of player of which we need at least one more moving forward. How the Mavs do that is another matter. But if they have the opportunity, they have to do it.
Like Reply
To answer the OP they need patience from the fans while they assess the role players to see who is a long term solution and who is not working out...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
So far the vote is pretty split but I'm surprised "dynamic playmaker" isn't getting more love. 

We know from Donnie, the Mavs love stars. And we know from the Warriors, you can't have too many.

I suspect the vote is low because folks don't see how the Mavs could attain a true star with the assets they have. 

I'll borrow from an idea in another thread, first posted by @"omahen"

In his scenario, the Mavs would deal Lee's expiring for one of the few bad contracts (Dieng) left in the league and a 2019 first.

That Mavs would then enter the summer with two No 1s, GSW No 2, and about $36 million in expiring contracts. 

That's three valuable picks and enough expiring salary to take on any player in the league!

Unless someone comes up with something better, this is now my preferred path. A small trade now (which coincidentally nets a serviceable banger) that sets us up for a league altering deal at the draft.
Like Reply
I know Kemba loves Boston, but MAN he would have been even happier here. Dallas and Boston are pretty equal in talent with him on their roster. If he was a Mav it wouldnt even be close!
Like Reply
After so many beatings, the message is finally starting to sink in. This team is actually really good, even without Doncic. We need to just chill on trades and let this thing play out.

Some will still claim the Mavs are starting three bench players and a bunch of also rans behind them. But there's something special about this group. I posted this note in another thread but it bears repeating...

The Mavs have a net rating of +7.4 in 550 minutes without Luka Doncic on the floor this season.

That’s better than the...
- 2018-19 Raptors
- 2017-18 Warriors
- 2015-16 Cavaliers
- 2011-12 Heat
- 2010-11 Mavericks

The Luka-less Mavs are playing at a championship level.
Like Reply

I don't see how the Mavs are so much better with him on the floor. I know he is a good PnR player but he gives you zero spacing. Teams do not respect his outside shot. Maxi gives you spacing or will hit wide open 3s at a fairly good clip. Mavs can upgrade Powell by getting another good rim roller who can play defense and bonus points if he can hit a 3.
Like Reply
(12-21-2019, 06:55 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:

I would say that the best long-view move is probably to go all-in on Bogdan. I was concerned about the defensive fit next to Luka, but his DRPM is actually solid. There's your 3rd-best player. Then trade THJ with our lottery pick for something useful this summer.

I don't see how the Mavs are so much better with him on the floor. I know he is a good PnR player but he gives you zero spacing. Teams do not respect his outside shot. Maxi gives you spacing or will hit wide open 3s at a fairly good clip. Mavs can upgrade Powell by getting another good rim roller who can play defense and bonus points if he can hit a 3.

In tangentially related news, what's the biggest improvement left for Porzingis? Learn to be a great pick-and-roll player. When that happens, what ever years he and Luka stay healthy will likely to be championship years. If Zinger shows to be a great pick and roll player before the playoffs this year - highly unlikely, but we've seen a lot of "highly unlikely" this year - then, yes, the Mavs will very much be bona fide contenders in this year's playoffs.
Like Reply
Derrick Favors would be a guy is love to have. He can't shoot outside (altho Rick could get him to take a couple corner 3s a game) but he has more offensive tools, plays defense and rebounds. On paper he fits perfectly with KP in that he can guard 4s on defense but operate as the 5 on offense. Honestly if it were up to me I'd give up the GSW pick + Lee for Favors and try to resign him in the summer even if I had to extend it into 2021. With his bird rights I think the Mavs might be able to give him a big 1 year deal or just trust that you can trade him later if you sign him to a reasonable multi year contract. Mavs tend to be super conservative but Favors could be a piece that gets you to the finals in my opinion.
Like Reply
(12-21-2019, 07:06 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: He can't shoot outside
Neither can Powell, so it really doesn’t matter as much as people keep suggesting. Reuniting Powell with Kleber on the bench would have that group dominating even more than they do now IMO.
Like Reply
(12-21-2019, 07:16 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
Neither can Powell, so it really doesn’t matter as much as people keep suggesting. Reuniting Powell with Kleber on the bench would have that group dominating even more than they do now IMO.

Yup that's what I'd like to see but I am worried the Mavs aren't going to do anything or will do something small like a buyout depth vet they think is marginally better than Lee.
Like Reply
It seems weird to me that the position currently manned by DFS and Maxi is the leading vote getter for biggest need, rather than the one manned by Dwight and Boban.
Like Reply
I'm afraid any trade we make now will cost us CIS, our sixth man of the year candidate.

Chem I. Stry.

If we can get Dieng for peanuts we should give it a shot.

If we insist on including CIS and a rotation player give me JJ Reddick. A vet that can shoot and has been in the playoffs almost every year. That's the kind of deal that contenders make.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 12:34 PM)Jommybone Wrote: It seems weird to me that the position currently manned by DFS and Maxi is the leading vote getter for biggest need, rather than the one manned by Dwight and Boban.

We have the #1 offense because of ONE reason - floor spacing. We get the largest % of open 3 pointers in the league. We also have the lowest % of our shots being blocked in the league.

Who do we get at center than spaces the floor better? Maybe a Love? But if you are talking big bruiser - we have no need for one. If we could get a center than shoots 3's rim protects off pick and rolls and drives and also does pick and rolls on offense like a champ, then GREAT. So who are our options there?

(12-21-2019, 07:00 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(12-21-2019, 06:55 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:

In tangentially related news, what's the biggest improvement left for Porzingis? Learn to be a great pick-and-roll player. When that happens, what ever years he and Luka stay healthy will likely to be championship years. If Zinger shows to be a great pick and roll player before the playoffs this year - highly unlikely, but we've seen a lot of "highly unlikely" this year - then, yes, the Mavs will very much be bona fide contenders in this year's playoffs.

As skilled as KP is as an athlete and how smart he is to boot, I don't know why it would take him long to get great at pick and roll. Its not like rocket science. It is nuanced as hell, but no more nuanced than several other aspects of NBA basketball. I mean, you set a pick and then you roll towards the basket. How hard is this to perfect?

(12-21-2019, 07:16 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:

If Powell could shoot threes, he would be even better at spacing the floor and pick and roll.
Like Reply