Poll: Who played above expectations?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
P.J. Washington: 5rbd, 1ast, 2stl, 2blk, 6pts
0%
0 0%
DJJ: 4rbd, 2ast, 1blk, 12pts
0%
0 0%
Gafford: 6rbd, 5ast, 1stl, 24pts
92.31%
24 92.31%
Kyrie: 5rbd, 7ast, 2stl, 16pts
0%
0 0%
Luka: 9rbd, 8ast, 4stl, 34pts
7.69%
2 7.69%
Kleber: 3rbd, 2ast, 3stl, 7pts
0%
0 0%
Lively: 5rbd, 1ast, 6pts
0%
0 0%
Jaden Hardy: 2rbd, 5ast, 6pts
0%
0 0%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 70 Dirkie Thread: Gafford by a dunk.
Who exceed expectations in the win tonight?
Like Reply
This was indeed a trap game. Not the cutting edge game I wanted to see, but we got the win! I'll take it. There are either a lot of, or very few candidates for the Dirkie tonight.

We're seeing several players show that you don't have to score a lot of points to contribute to the team. Maxi and Exum come to mind. But this is the Dirkie thread.

I really like how Gafford plays. You don't have to tell him to go get the ball. He comes roaring through and pounces. I notice he didn't have many rebounds. Seems like it's because he puts them back in the basket. I think he had 10 dunks. Dirkie worthy? We'll see.

Kyrie can't have earth shattering games every night--and he didn't tonight. But he did enough.

Luka did Luka average. That's damn good, but...

Maxi Kleber. Someone mentions that I missed him in the last poll. Don't mean to slight him at all. Maxi is my man! His hat goes into the Dirkie ring.

THJ. Naw...just kidding.

Lively. I really like Lively.

Jaden Hardy. I'm glad to see Hardy get more and more playing time. He deserves it and it will pay off in the future.

So I'm down to Gafford and Kleber. Gotta go with Gafford.
Like Reply
10 dunks = Dirkie worthy.

Honorable mention to Tim for hoisting only 4 shots in 17 mins of PT. That’s less than 1 every 4, a serious slow roll for a Hardaway.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Well this was certainly a game that was messy from the start. Mavs came out sloppy as ever but had spurts of some amazing basketball.

Luka is 100% playing through an injury right now. His rhythm is all off. Yet he still manages to drop 34/9/8.... Yeah the guy is a monster. I hope he uses this 3 day weekend to rest up and get back to himself. Great game from Luka even if it wasn't one of his best.

This was a dirkie by committee almost. 18 dunks sets an NBA record that goes back to 2003. These guys were jumping out of the building. Gafford, DJJ, PJ, Lively, all of them were relentless at attacking, and the guards were trying to find them as much as possible.

Kyrie shot 7-20 but was a +37 and basically controlled the entire flow while he was out there. Even though he couldn't really make a shot (though it didn't feel like that watching) he still played a great game offensively.

PJ's defense was incredible all game. I pray he's okay and that he isn't seriously injured. I fear the worst. Lets hope I'm wrong.

Overall I have to give my dirkie to Gafford. His energy was infectious and 10/11 from the field doesn't hurt.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Gafford has been a miracle since he got here. Just a perfect compliment to Luka and Kyrie.
Like Reply
(03-22-2024, 04:53 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Gafford has been a miracle since he got here. Just a perfect compliment to Luka and Kyrie.

I’m curious… is there still anyone who thinks Lively should be starting (or finishing) over him?
Like Reply
(03-22-2024, 09:03 AM)soog Wrote: I’m curious… is there still anyone who thinks Lively should be starting (or finishing) over him?

Not this year, because he seems to have hit the rookie wall. He also needs to spend time in the weight room.

I think it's pretty clear that big-picture, Lively is the better player. Knowing that we have someone even better than Gafford on roster now should make us giddy.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • ballsrchr, MFFL, mvossman, SleepingHero
Like Reply
How has Hardy gone from fumbling his crossover into turnovers regularly or making errant passes that lead to turnovers to what looks like a polished player lately?

Its like a switch was turned on...not like organic, practice makes perfect kind of timeline that takes many months or years.

Im getting very weary of the NBA and sports in general. Just makes no sense.

Lively is probably the better player...but Gafford's size, energy and hustle every play are hard to overlook. There was an argument on here about how the rebounding of Gafford doesnt make up the difference between Lively and Gafford's talent gap....maybe...but more rebounds equal more offensive possessions for Luka, the most efficient player in the game offensively at all 3 levels. Gafford just seems perfect right now. I understand the playoffs are a different animal and he will most likely get played off floor. Gafford didnt lie when his first interview in Dallas said he was going to take out the trash every play. Liking this pick up a lot.

Anyone watch that game last night and come away feeling refreshed...like we actually can floor 7 players that look like bball players? The ball was moving around and other guys not Luka were heavily involved in offense...Gafford, DJJ, PJ, Exum. Just a way way way better product to digest when we look like an actual NBA team and the ball moves around like an NBA team.
Like Reply
(03-22-2024, 09:03 AM)soog Wrote: I’m curious… is there still anyone who thinks Lively should be starting (or finishing) over him?

Kind of. I don’t think Gafford can defend the 3-point line. I think Lively is capable but not yet very good at it. I think that’s a very under-appreciated strength of Maxi’s defense. 

I have no problem moving Gafford into the starting lineup for now and giving him more PT in hopes of speeding up his learning curve here. But come playoffs, depending on the matchup, I think he ought to and probably will see more time on the bench.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply