Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 65: Dallas Mavericks (36-28) vs. Chicago Bulls (31-33)
(03-12-2024, 10:16 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Decided to see what Wilts games were during his stretch. There wasn't any play-by-play so we don't know when exactly his streak ended. To get to that 35 in a row made shot counter it took Wilt 3 games:

1/19/1967: 27 points, 22 rebounds, and 7 assists on 11/11 FG%
1/20/1967: 32 points, 30 rebounds, and 9 assists on 15/15 FG%
1/23/1967: 22 points, 27 rebounds, and 6 assists on 9/12 FG%

The last game is where the streak gets funky. Wilt absolutely made 26 shots in a row. But because we don't know exactly *when* he missed in the last game, stat keepers are assuming he made 9 straight and missed his last 3 to get to 35 made shots in a row.

Perhaps Gafford already has the record and we don't even know...

Not sure your analysis is correct - he could have made his last couple of shots in the game before the three games you listed to start his streak, couldn’t he?
Like Reply
(03-12-2024, 07:19 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Not sure your analysis is correct - he could have made his last couple of shots in the game before the three games you listed to start his streak, couldn’t he?

Perhaps. The whole point is we don't know! There was no play-by-play data back then so we can't track when he made or missed a shot. Just box scores. 

Given the unofficial number of 35 keeps being repeated, and 26+9 is 35, I assume that's how the record keepers are getting to that Wilt stat.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
[Image: p07nfxzg1znc1.jpeg?width=1024&auto=webp&...64440d5f16]

Screen shot of the Bulls plan to stop Luka. Classic Box-in-4 technique. Managed to hold Luka to a cool 27/12/14
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen, Scott41theMavs, The Jom
Like Reply
(03-13-2024, 01:02 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: p07nfxzg1znc1.jpeg?width=1024&auto=webp&...64440d5f16]

Screen shot of the Bulls plan to stop Luka. Classic Box-in-4 technique. Managed to hold Luka to a cool 27/12/14

Exactly what teams shouldn't do against Mavs, because Luka is genius in distributing to teammates in such situations. Two of them completely open in time of this screen shot. I think Luka managed to look off defense and find Lively for an open dunk to finish the offensive posession.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(03-13-2024, 08:56 AM)omahen Wrote: Exactly what teams shouldn't do against Mavs, because Luka is genius in distributing to teammates in such situations. Two of them completely open in time of this screen shot. I think Luka managed to look off defense and find Lively for an open dunk to finish the offensive posession.

Totally agree. In the few games wherein Luka has struggled over the past few seasons, it's always because the opponent is playing him to pass, guarding him 1-on-1 with someone who can actually bother him. There aren't very many defenders who can, but every once in a while someone can frustrate him a little. As you say, approaches like the one in that picture are the worst possible thing you can do against him, imo.
Like Reply
(03-13-2024, 09:00 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Totally agree. In the few games wherein Luka has struggled over the past few seasons, it's always because the opponent is playing him to pass, guarding him 1-on-1 with someone who can actually bother him. There aren't very many defenders who can, but every once in a while someone can frustrate him a little. As you say, approaches like the one in that picture are the worst possible thing you can do against him, imo.

It is not even necessarily stopping him. In the last losing stretch Mavs were losing even with Luka and Kyrie scoring 70+ points combined on good efficiency, as they were able to limit rest of team. Although really bad defense in those games was probably more of a factor than not having solutions on offense.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-13-2024, 09:35 AM)omahen Wrote: It is not even necessarily stopping him. In the last losing stretch Mavs were losing even with Luka and Kyrie scoring 70+ points combined on good efficiency, as they were able to limit rest of team. Although really bad defense in those games was probably more of a factor than not having solutions on offense.

Agree about the defense, but to your point, even if Luka scores well and the opponent pivots to trapping or doubling late, it's really hard for the others to hit those big shots having not gotten any rhythm throughout the game. And honestly, I suspect people not touching the ball on offense contributes a fair amount to their level of defensive effort. It shouldn't, but I bet it does. If I were game planning against the Mavs, I'd try to play Luka straight up as long as possible, up to and including convoluted pre-rotations, even.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
(03-12-2024, 08:23 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Perhaps. The whole point is we don't know! There was no play-by-play data back then so we can't track when he made or missed a shot. Just box scores. 

Given the unofficial number of 35 keeps being repeated, and 26+9 is 35, I assume that's how the record keepers are getting to that Wilt stat.

We do know now - during yesterday’s broadcast they showed Wilt‘s streak starting at the 17th of January.
Like Reply