Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 64: Dallas Mavericks (35-28) vs. Detroit Pistons (10-52)
(03-11-2024, 01:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I haven't found Gafford to be a very good rebounder. 

I posted this stat the other day on discord but since you brought it up here.

Gafford has a 14% ORB% with the Mavs. For context Gobert leads the league at 13.0% when you factor in minutes played.

Gafford has a 28.8% DRB% with the Mavs. That number puts him at 9th in the league. 

Gafford has a 21.4% TRB% with the Mavs. That number puts him at 5th in the league.

Lively has an 11.6% ORB%, 19.6 DRB% and 15.6 TRB%

Gafford has been ELITE at rebounding for this team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(03-11-2024, 01:37 PM)Smitty Wrote: I posted this stat the other day on discord but since you brought it up here.

Gafford has a 14% ORB% with the Mavs. For context Gobert leads the league at 13.0% when you factor in minutes played.

Gafford has a 28.8% DRB% with the Mavs. That number puts him at 9th in the league. 

Gafford has a 21.4% TRB% with the Mavs. That number puts him at 5th in the league.

Lively has an 11.6% ORB%, 19.6 DRB% and 15.6 TRB%

Gafford has been ELITE at rebounding for this team.

I mean...I BELIEVE you, but I sure feel like I'm seeing him miss out on a ton of important and gettable defensive rebounds when he's out there. For me, the numbers don't persuade me (yet).

I'd also point to the fact that the team has undeniably performed better with Lively, not Gafford, as a sign that maybe rebounding just ain't all that in general. For me, if you have to concede in any area, that's the one to let go.
Like Reply
(03-11-2024, 01:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I mean...I BELIEVE you, but I sure feel like I'm seeing him miss out on a ton of important and gettable defensive rebounds when he's out there. For me, the numbers don't persuade me (yet).

I'd also point to the fact that the team has undeniably performed better with Lively, not Gafford, as a sign that maybe rebounding just ain't all that in general. For me, if you have to concede in any area, that's the one to let go.

With all of those stats I still take Lively overall 10 times out of 10. It just seems to me the board is doing this Lively VS Gafford thing instead of just appreciating both for who they are is all. Not a shot at you or anyone in general.
[-] The following 6 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-11-2024, 01:48 PM)Smitty Wrote: With all of those stats I still take Lively overall 10 times out of 10. It just seems to me the board is doing this Lively VS Gafford thing instead of just appreciating both for who they are is all. Not a shot at you or anyone in general.

I agree with that, and it's unfair. 

But, on the other hand, there are only so many minutes to go around, and Lively is more than a 50% player, imho. And, I think Kleber is still the best choice to close games. So, it's tough for me to wrap my head around what they gave up to get Gafford. The salary, too, is a bit out of whack for what I think his role should be here, but that's not a huge deal while Lively is on his rookie deal I guess.
Like Reply