Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Game 63: Miami Heat (35-26) vs. Dallas Mavericks (34-28)
[Image: GH9TZzaXIAACBDT?format=jpg&name=large]

@GrantAfseth
Dallas Mavericks Injury Report vs. Miami Heat:

Dereck Lively II - available (nasal fracture)
Luka Doncic - probable (right ankle sprain)
Maxi Kleber - probable (left knee soreness)
Olivier-Maxence Prosper - out (G League)
Brandon Williams - out (G League)
Alex Fudge - out (G League)
Greg Brown III - out (G League)
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
We will see how I feel. I am leaning to skipping the next 3 games. It is just not fun right now. I took a similar break last year for a game or two, but came back for that car crash to end the season. It is a shame we may be back in the same spot. Just venting, but the last few games have been so disappointing.
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 11:48 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: We will see how I feel.  I am leaning to skipping the next 3 games.    It is just not fun right now.    I took a similar break last year for a game or two, but came back for that car crash to end the season.  It is a shame we may be back in the same spot.  Just venting, but the last few games have been so disappointing.

Is there any reason for a sneaky tank like last year?  We dont have our first...it belongs to New York, right?  Is there any reason for a tank at all?
Like Reply
Yes....the last few games have been disappointing. But I will watch every one until the end of the season and see what happens then. And I'll be there next year, and the next year, ad nauseam. I've been watching the Mavs since 1980/81--I think. No sense stopping now. Obviously I have a high tolerance for pain and suffering.

BUT...there is a tipping point. It happened for me in MLB and the Dallas Cowboys. I'm not sure what it'll take for Mavs basketball...I really like basketball! Losing Luka Doncic might be that point. Or I may kick the bucket. Who knows?

So...tonight..go MAVS!
[-] The following 2 users Like ballsrchr's post:
  • Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 12:07 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Is there any reason for a sneaky tank like last year?  We dont have our first...it belongs to New York, right?  Is there any reason for a tank at all?

I was thinking about this the other day. Unless I’m wrong, this is the last year the pick has to convey to New York, which I think means it converts to some seconds, or even disappears this year if it does not convey. 

As intriguing as that thought might be, it’s also supposed to be a really weak draft, so I’m not sure there is a prize like Lively waiting on the other end of that strategy.

I certainly don’t think they are thinking now, or that tanking could be an explanation for where they are right now. And, I don’t expect them to lean into the tank now that they are skidding.
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 11:48 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: We will see how I feel.  I am leaning to skipping the next 3 games.    It is just not fun right now.    I took a similar break last year for a game or two, but came back for that car crash to end the season.  It is a shame we may be back in the same spot.  Just venting, but the last few games have been so disappointing.

I'm right there with you. They've played some of the most uninspiring difficult to watch basketball at times the last 12 months.

Still going to tune in though and hope for something better.

(03-07-2024, 12:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I was thinking about this the other day. Unless I’m wrong, this is the last year the pick has to convey to New York, which I think means it converts to some seconds, or even disappears this year if it does not convey. 

As intriguing as that thought might be, it’s also supposed to be a really weak draft, so I’m not sure there is a prize like Lively waiting on the other end of that strategy.

I certainly don’t think they are thinking now, or that tanking could be an explanation for where they are right now. And, I don’t expect them to lean into the tank now that they are skidding.

I was thinking this too.

But I remember how big of a deal it was for Luka to sit out and accept the tank last year. Can't imagine him even considering it again this year especially when they are right in the thick of the playoff race.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 12:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm right there with you. They've played some of the most uninspiring difficult to watch basketball at times the last 12 months.

Still going to tune in though and hope for something better.

I was thinking this too.

But I remember how big of a deal it was for Luka to sit out and accept the tank last year. Can't imagine him even considering it again this year especially when they are right in the thick of the playoff race.

The crazy thing is, if they tried to tank, by playing young guys like Hardy/Lawson/Omax instead of THJ, Maxi, DJJ vet types. They might actually improve Smile
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 12:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I was thinking about this the other day. Unless I’m wrong, this is the last year the pick has to convey to New York, which I think means it converts to some seconds, or even disappears this year if it does not convey. 

If pick doesn't convey this year, it is still top10 protected next season and if not conveyed, only then converts to 2025 SRP. 

Of course Mavs are not trying to tank or even think about it. To make all those moves and spend all those assets only to be bottom 10 in the league would be a huge indictment for everyone involved.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 12:38 PM)omahen Wrote: If pick doesn't convey this year, it is still top10 protected next season and if not conveyed, only then converts to 2025 SRP. 

OK, cool. Thought it was this year. 

So definitely not a great idea to try to go that route.
Like Reply
Another must win game but I thought so for a couple of times now... Mavs need to righten the ship, STAT.

If I knew a disappointing season would mean Kidd gets fired I would be rooting for the Mavs to lose. Since this is not a given, I hope they maximize the season. For some reason I still think we can be great this year. Please don't prove me wrong continously, guys.

Btw, they are NOT tanking. No way. Luka won't allow it and he, obviously, calls the shots.
Like Reply
I am still baffled that Kidd is still here. I genuinely believed they had no choice but to get rid of him after the Indiana game. I guess Kidcaine is a helluva drug. Nico is frozen by his own friendship with Kidd and by Luka and Kyrie's strong relationship with him. The Luka/Kyrie thing is perhaps the most troubling of all due to what it says about each of them - that Luka would rather get his heliocentric way than win, and that Kyrie figures he has his ring and winning doesn't matter.

The sad thing is that we couldn't even get SGA for Luka this summer if they chose to blow it up. SGA's value is higher, whether it should be or not.
Like Reply
Start Gafford. Play him strategically. Lively has hit the rookie wall. Give Lively some time coming off the bench against backups. Lower Maxi’s minutes because he’s tired. Scrap the drop coverage. Exum was starting when we were playing well. Give him Greens minutes in the 4th. Try out Hardy in the Hardaway minutes. If we get down big and need a spark, how about throwing out Lawson and see if he can make something happen.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, RGP1981
Like Reply
I hope the Mavs win, but I'm going to skip tonight. The last several games have been miserable to watch. Hopefully they make me regret skipping it.
Like Reply
Jones and Gafford starting tonight
Like Reply
Dallas Mavericks Starters vs. Miami Heat:

G Kyrie Irving
G Luka Doncic
F Derrick Jones Jr.
F P.J. Washington
C Daniel Gafford
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 07:13 PM)Smitty Wrote: Dallas Mavericks Starters vs. Miami Heat:

G Kyrie Irving
G Luka Doncic
F Derrick Jones Jr.
F P.J. Washington
C Daniel Gafford

I hate this. Kidd can't get fired fast enough.
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 07:13 PM)Smitty Wrote: Dallas Mavericks Starters vs. Miami Heat:

G Kyrie Irving
G Luka Doncic
F Derrick Jones Jr.
F P.J. Washington
C Daniel Gafford
Makes sense. Green has been really bad lately. Jones has been good last few and a better defender. Lively has been off since ASB. Still expecting Lively and Maxi to play the important minutes
Like Reply
Now I might watch this one just out of morbid curiosity.
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 12:13 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: Yes....the last few games have been disappointing.  But I will watch every one until the end of the season and see what happens then.  And I'll be there next year, and the next year, ad nauseam.  I've been watching the Mavs since 1980/81--I think.  No sense stopping now.  Obviously I have a high tolerance for pain and suffering.

BUT...there is a tipping point.  It happened for me in MLB and the Dallas Cowboys.  I'm not sure what it'll take for Mavs basketball...I really like basketball!  Losing Luka Doncic might be that point.  Or I may kick the bucket.  Who knows?

So...tonight..go MAVS!

Me too but since 81-82. Hang in there Mav fans even if you do take a break. Transitions are often sadly painful but the pain often ends in a heartbeat defined in this case as defensive progress and shot making suddenly appear.
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 07:18 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Now I might watch this one just out of morbid curiosity.

You're falling for it. That's what he's hoping the owners will do - focus on the new lineup instead of his terrible coaching job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply