Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 62: Indiana Pacers (34-28) vs. Dallas Mavericks (34-27)
I am at a loss for words. I know what good basketball should look like. This isn't it. I know what having a top 5 player in the world should look like...even on a not great team. This isn't it. I understand stopping good offensive teams is really, really hard. But this isn't it. One pass or one drive and the sea parts. We have seen different lineups with different players and right now nothing is working. I have said all year that we are not a good defensive team. But we are not this bad. Something is off there.

On offense, Luka and Kyrie just iso and either shoot or pass. The issue is we miss 3-4 positions in a row and with our defense lately, that could be a 10-0 run. Kryie has been bad lately too. Defense is poor. Even his offense. He is getting to his spots but I have noticed he very rarely will make a pass when he is looking to score.

This team still loses focus and looks to blame the refs when things start going bad. Time to grow up. The only one not complaining is the coach. I have no idea what he is doing. Rick looked engaged last night. Our coach...nothing.

I am going to take a break for a little bit. I am sure my during game comments read really bad. But I am at the stage that this is another lost year. We are getting real close to Luka requesting trade panic range imo. So I am going to skip Miami. If they don't get their act together soon, the Pistons and Bulls games could have the same feel of losing to the Hornets in back to back games last season. This team doesn't look like they can beat anyone now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Miami is playing well. Another must win game in this home stand.
Like Reply
Pacers just seem like a bad matchup for us but it's wild to watch this team just kind of roll over and die at the same time of the season as last year. Especially with a fully healthy roster.
Like Reply
Out of town Mavs Fan from GA, and first time user on board---after flying up to Indy a week ago and watching the Pacers share, move, and score the ball with multiple options, I told my son---that's how we should try to play.  Can anybody stay in front of ball on defense---frustrating watching players shift and just open up to allow drives so easy and watch us get burned.  Just give some effort on "D" when shots not falling.  Go Mavs--let's get rolling again.
[-] The following 4 users Like MavUGA23's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, SleepingHero, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
When Markieff Morris is the leader on the team…
[-] The following 5 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 10:29 AM)MavUGA23 Wrote: Out of town Mavs Fan from GA, and first time user on board---after flying up to Indy a week ago and watching the Pacers share, move, and score the ball with multiple options, I told my son---that's how we should try to play.  Can anybody stay in front of ball on defense---frustrating watching players shift and just open up to allow drives so easy and watch us get burned.  Just give some effort on "D" when shots not falling.  Go Mavs--let's get rolling again.

Ive been sidelined for my "move the ball" take around here.

Weird that posts are popping up to move the ball more today.

Analytics says leave the ball in the most efficient players hands.   Haralobos is on record saying the more you pass the higher the chance it leads to a turnover.

This is where eye-test and analytics disagree with each other.  Which is it?  Move ball or go by the numbers?
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 10:47 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Ive been sidelined for my "move the ball" take around here.

People have been asking for ball movement around here for years. Constantly. 

You've never once been "sidelined" for any type of basketball opinion, whatsoever. You've been banned a few times for typing things that are bat-shit insane and have nothing to do with basketball. And, if you keep bringing the bans up in one out of every three posts, we're going to make it permanent. 

Honestly, you should focus less on talking about yourself and more on bringing something...ANYTHING...of value to the table.

(03-06-2024, 10:29 AM)MavUGA23 Wrote: Out of town Mavs Fan from GA, and first time user on board---after flying up to Indy a week ago and watching the Pacers share, move, and score the ball with multiple options, I told my son---that's how we should try to play.  Can anybody stay in front of ball on defense---frustrating watching players shift and just open up to allow drives so easy and watch us get burned.  Just give some effort on "D" when shots not falling.  Go Mavs--let's get rolling again.

Welcome to the board! Please feel free to post more often! We love getting the perspective of fans who aren't local (as long as you aren't from Utah).

(03-06-2024, 10:44 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: When Markieff Morris is the leader on the team…

Yeah, that's indicative of bigger issues, isn't it? 

"They won't miss Brunson," people said.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 03:00 AM)omahen Wrote: So much to say about defensive scheme... As I said earlier, Mavs looked like they did want it. I couldn't say they were lazy. They are just outplayed by totally basic stuff. Start of the game, basically every single time Haly-Turner PnR. Mavs in drop coverage, Green can't get around the screen and it is 5 on 4 every single time.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=21&GameID=0022300892&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Haliburton%2014%27%20Driving%20Floating%20Jump%20Shot%20(2%20PTS)%20(Turner%202%20AST)

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=16&GameID=0022300892&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Lively%20II%20S.FOUL%20(P2.T1)%20(M.Kogut)

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=45&GameID=0022300892&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Turner%201%27%20Cutting%20Finger%20Roll%20Layup%20Shot%20(9%20PTS)%20(Haliburton%201%20AST)

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=49&GameID=0022300892&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Haliburton%2018%27%20Pullup%20Jump%20Shot%20(4%20PTS)%20(Nesmith%201%20AST)

THJ gets in for Green and immediately same story (go wonder why...)

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=56&GameID=0022300892&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Turner%2012%27%20Jump%20Shot%20(11%20PTS)%20(Haliburton%202%20AST)

Lively forgetting Turner can shoot

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=34&GameID=0022300892&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Turner%2026%27%203PT%20Jump%20Shot%20(5%20PTS)%20(Nembhard%201%20AST)

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=42&GameID=0022300892&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Turner%2016%27%20Turnaround%20Jump%20Shot%20(7%20PTS)%20(Nembhard%202%20AST)

These are just first 5 minutes of the first quarter

I just can't get the links to work, I don't have the option for copy as link Sad I will try more

edit2: looks like I made it

Those aren't all bad defensive possessions though.  The Pacers are a great offensive team and the defense has to allow something.  For example, giving Myles Turner a 16 foot mid-range jumper isn't a bad decision.

Also, one of those screens on Josh Green was clearly illegal.  It looked like he was elbowed in the face on one of those.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 07:55 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Really feels like Kleber and Irving cannot handle more than a few games in a row. Kleber had an incredible run after his return from injury but looks slower than he did just two weeks ago.
Kyrie was incredible in february but the last three games were a disaster on the defensive end and sloppy on offense.

Overall team performance isn't helping them because they aren't getting any breaks and are desperately needed to prevent a complete collapse but I wouldn't be suprised if they miss more than just 1-2 games in the next few weeks.

Kyrie is better than KP ever was but when it comes to durability it is the same story. And Kleber is still the same old Kleber. On a good team he would probably get the Iggy treatment. Bubble wrapped during the regular season. Playing starter minutes in the playoffs.
But the Mavs aren't in a position where they can afford to give both of them extended rest. And it feels like they are running both of them into the ground. Something that we already saw in past seasons (Bullock and DFS after the WCF, Luka post allstar break last season).

The crazy part is that Hardy has played well recently and could solve the Kyrie/THJ minutes problem very easily. Furthermore Powell could for Kleber a little. His effort is still useful during the regular season. It just doesn´t translate in the play-offs, when everybody maxes effort and game-planning. We have enough depth for the strategy, if the coaching was sufficient.

There is no reason we cannot be better, especially offensively. This whole offense is ass backwards.

THJ should be the one standing in the corners. He should never touch the ball elsewhere on offense, cause the defense immediately knows: shot. It should be Hardy, Green, Exum and Washington involved in the motions, cause they can actually put it on the floor and willingly pass it. 

Exum 47.8%
Green 40.4%
Hardy 36.5% (trending upwards)

THJ 35.9% (trending downwards)
Washington 31.0%

Washington is 29/47 (62%) from 2pt range, yet has taken far more 3s since he´s here. Since the trade THJ is 12-34 from 2pt range 35%. The Mavs always punish the rooks with don´t bother us, stand in the corner, since the Carlisle days. THJ is the literal definition of stand in the corner and don´t bother us. He always shoots, when he touches the ball. He cannot create off the dribble, cause he never passes and he cannot shoot from inside the 3pt line.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 10:47 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Ive been sidelined for my "move the ball" take around here.

Analytics says leave the ball in the most efficient players hands.   Haralobos is on record saying the more you pass the higher the chance it leads to a turnover.

This is where eye-test and analytics disagree with each other.  Which is it?  Move ball or go by the numbers?

Move the ball.  Even I know that.  But...when the shot is there--Take it Dammit!
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 02:02 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Are we seriously blaming Luka? Heck I'm not putting the blame on the players anymore.
We've said for years how badly we've needed a rim rolling 5 that can play defense. Well we got it in Lively.
We've said for years how badly we need some rebounding at the center position. Well we got it in Gafford.
We've said for years how badly we need a 2-way wing that can create off the dribble. Well we got it in PJ.
We've said for years how badly we need some more ball creation from the wings. Well we got it in Exum.

The talent is there. The coach is not. At some point you have to blame the system these players are forced to play in. The choices Kidd makes is asinine. Pacers entire gameplan was to build a wall around Luka.

Kidd was out coached plain and simple.

My only silver lining is that should the Mavs somehow miss the playoffs AGAIN, I don't see how Kidd survives. Relationships be damned.

I wasn't able to open your links but I still think your post perfectly summarizes my thoughts as well.  

I think the talent on our team is pretty good and we're clearly underachieving.  

I believe this is largely the result of two major issues.

The first is obviously coaching.  I have some money on the Thunder winning the championship this year so I'm a big Thunder fan this season.  Mark Daigneault is the antithetical coach to Jason Kidd and demonstrates what a well-coached team looks like.  The Thunder have a clear offensive system where players are constantly driving at the rim as their teammates move off-ball.  They generate good looks as other players cut to the rim or find space for good 3-point shots.  There is a clear system that creates high-efficiency looks.  Although they are one of the youngest teams in the league, their young players all execute the system really well.  That's the result of good coaching.   It's interesting that they picked up a few new players recently-  Gordon Hayward and Biyombo.  They have looked bad in the system thus far.  That's because Daigneault hasn't had the opportunity to coach them in this system.  I anticipate they'll begin to fit better with further coaching.  

Defensively, the Thunder are small but quick and smart.  Daigneault has designed a defense that plays to their strength.  They attack aggressively on the perimeter and they create a lot of deflections and steals and this creates a lot of transition opportunities for them.  The coordination of their system works really well.  It's awesome basketball and it's really fun to watch.  Daigneault has done this with an incredibly young rotation.  They literally have two rookies in the rotation.  It's the result of great coaching.  He has turned SGA into an all-NBA defensive player as well.  The Mavericks would be a top-5 team in the NBA with a great coach like Daigneault (or Rick Carlisle).  

Our other biggest issue is that a lot officiating crews seem to really dislike the Mavericks.  It seems like every other game there is an obvious bias against the Mavs in general and especially against Luka.  It's much easier to stop Luka when you're allowed to grab his arms as he drives to the basket and shoots.  

I suspect a lot of officials hate Luka because of the frequent whining.  Luka does complain way too much even though much of the complaining is legitimate.  A better coach would explain to Luka that the complaining is not helping.  A better coach would make Luka's case to the officials.  Instead, we hired a coach who is clearly on the spectrum and afraid to communicate with the officials. 

Additionally, Mark Cuban has a famous history of criticizing the officials.  I would hate Mark Cuban as well if I were an NBA official.  Why is Mark Cuban still representing the Mavericks?  Can we please get him into a suite so the NBA referees don't have to see his face?  Now that he is no longer majority owner, it's time to move him away from the Mavericks.  That will do a lot to reset the prejudice so many NBA referees have against the Mavericks.  

We need a new coach.  We already have new majority owners.  It's time to get the controversial jackass, Mark Cuban, away from the team as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • BigDirk41, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 11:49 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I wasn't able to open your links but I still think your post perfectly summarizes my thoughts as well.  

The first is obviously coaching.  I have some money on the Thunder winning the championship this year so I'm a big Thunder fan this season.  Mark Daigneault is the antithetical coach to Jason Kidd and demonstrates what a well-coached team looks like.  The Thunder have a clear offensive system where players are constantly driving at the rim as their teammates move off-ball.  They generate good looks as other players cut to the rim or find space for good 3-point shots.  There is a clear system that creates high-efficiency looks.  Although they are one of the youngest teams in the league, their young players all execute the system really well.  That's the result of good coaching.   It's interesting that they picked up a few new players recently-  Gordon Hayward and Biyombo.  They have looked bad in the system thus far.  That's because Daigneault hasn't had the opportunity to coach them in this system.  I anticipate they'll begin to fit better with further coaching.  

Defensively, the Thunder are small but quick and smart.  Daigneault has designed a defense that plays to their strength.  They attack aggressively on the perimeter and they create a lot of deflections and steals and this creates a lot of transition opportunities for them.  The coordination of their system works really well.  It's awesome basketball and it's really fun to watch.  Daigneault has done this with an incredibly young rotation.  They literally have two rookies in the rotation.  It's the result of great coaching.  He has turned SGA into an all-NBA defensive player as well.  The Mavericks would be a top-5 team in the NBA with a great coach like Daigneault (or Rick Carlisle).  

Our other biggest issue is that a lot officiating crews seem to really dislike the Mavericks.  It seems like every other game there is an obvious bias against the Mavs in general and especially against Luka.  It's much easier to stop Luka when you're allowed to grab his arms as he drives to the basket and shoots.  

I suspect a lot of officials hate Luka because of the frequent whining.  Luka does complain way too much even though much of the complaining is legitimate.  A better coach would explain to Luka that the complaining is not helping.  A better coach would make Luka's case to the officials.  Instead, we hired a coach who is clearly on the spectrum and afraid to communicate with the officials. 

Additionally, Mark Cuban has a famous history of criticizing the officials.  I would hate Mark Cuban as well if I were an NBA official.  Why is Mark Cuban still representing the Mavericks?  Can we please get him into a suite so the NBA referees don't have to see his face?  Now that he is no longer majority owner, it's time to move him away from the Mavericks.  That will do a lot to reset the prejudice so many NBA referees have against the Mavericks.  

We need a new coach.  We already have new majority owners.  It's time to get the controversial jackass, Mark Cuban, away from the team as well.

I'm feeling a bit opposite on the Thunder's championship odds. 
they're striking me as an overachieving team that will be exposed in the post season 
It annoys the crap out of me when people on twitter call that a superteam and that SGA doesn't deserve MVP. 
I think he has to be right up there and he's my MVP at the moment.
Like Reply
Kidd is a major problem. There are others as well

The play that gets to me from last night is the one where Luka missed the layup and immediately pouted with his head down. While he was crying, Gafford was hustling. Gafford tips the rebound right to Luka and it almost hits him in the face and he never sees it

Look at all sports on a macro level. Teams take on the identity of their best player. This team had taken on the identity of Luka Doncic…….Emotions dictate how hard we play on a night to night basis. Nightly focus on the refs which: 1) takes our focus off playing winning basketball and 2) has potentially caused us to have a ref disadvantage. We give up on plays. We give up on defense and switches. We don’t hustle back after plays(lots of jogging back last night). No sense of team pride. We do not share on offense

Who cares how many triple doubles if they’re losses? Yes, Kidd is responsible for letting this happen. Coaches can influence team identity. But this team as a whole looks a whole lot like Luka on a night to night basis. An attitude change would go a long way

Maybe Dumont can come in and shake some things up? Kidd, THJ, Cuban all need to go. We need a culture change somehow
[-] The following 3 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 11:49 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I wasn't able to open your links but I still think your post perfectly summarizes my thoughts as well.  

Thunder better hope they can avoid the Lakers. The Lakers took the season series 3-1.
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 01:16 PM)Jym Wrote: I'm feeling a bit opposite on the Thunder's championship odds. 
they're striking me as an overachieving team that will be exposed in the post season 
It annoys the crap out of me when people on twitter call that a superteam and that SGA doesn't deserve MVP. 
I think he has to be right up there and he's my MVP at the moment.

I bet on the Thunder when they were at 85-1 odds.  I was really impressed with Chet Holmgren in Summer League and thought they were a good bet at those odds.  

I think the Celtics are the overwhelming favorites to win the championship.  I can imagine the Thunder winning the West though.  I also think a Jayson Tatum or Derrick White ankle sprain could change the odds a bit in a theoretical Celtics/Thunder series.  I also think SGA would clearly be the best player in that series.  I actually think SGA is the best two-way player in the NBA.  

I don't expect to win this bet but I think my odds are much better than 85 to 1.
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 11:49 AM)surfpuckm Wrote: Our other biggest issue is that a lot officiating crews seem to really dislike the Mavericks.  It seems like every other game there is an obvious bias against the Mavs in general and especially against Luka.  It's much easier to stop Luka when you're allowed to grab his arms as he drives to the basket and shoots.  

I have noticed we get the short end of the officiating worse at home than on the road.  Last night may have been the most biased officiating of the season and it wasn’t just against Luka.  Multiple fouls against multiple Mavericks not called while tricky-tack fouls against the Pacers were called.  When Kyrie complains you know there is a problem.

You’d think the NBA office would notice this and take action.  It’s not in their best interest to have one of the best players in the league not to get officiated fairly.

Everyone who paid to watch that game last night, cheering for the Mavs to win, deserve a refund from the NBA.  This game, by the way it was officiated, was decided before tip-off
[-] The following 1 user Likes rocky164's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 03:41 PM)rocky164 Wrote: I have noticed we get the short end of the officiating worse at home than on the road.  Last night may have been the most biased officiating of the season and it wasn’t just against Luka.  Multiple fouls against multiple Mavericks not called while tricky-tack fouls against the Pacers were called.  When Kyrie complains you know there is a problem.

You’d think the NBA office would notice this and take action.  It’s not in their best interest to have one of the best players in the league not to get officiated fairly.

Everyone who paid to watch that game last night, cheering for the Mavs to win, deserve a refund from the NBA.  This game, by the way it was officiated, was decided before tip-off

Blaming the refs all the time is weak. Do they miss calls?  They sure do.  You can't take the human element out the game. You just can't. We all make mistakes. The Mavs play was just as much reason for the loss as any ref was.  Place the blame squarely where it belongs.
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 03:46 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Blaming the refs all the time is weak. Do they miss calls?  They sure do.  You can't take the human element out the game. You just can't. We all make mistakes. The Mavs play was just as much reason for the loss as any ref was.  Place the blame squarely where it belongs.

I didn’t intend to blame the refs all the time.  I’m sorry if that’s the way my post came across.  The Mavs didn’t play well enough to win period.  But biased officiating influences games in many subtle ways, and with this team, causes them to quit after a prolonged series of biased calls.  
Quitting is never acceptable, but it is a reality with this team.  

I just don’t know how to reverse the trend others have noted of biased officiating.  Cuban historically has been a huge problem, and Luka’s constant complaining has to be an irritant to the officials.  But neither are going anywhere, and Cuban has been much less vocal over the last several years than before when he deservedly earned his reputation.

And it’s not just the Mavs dealing with biased officiating.  How many coaches have gone off in press conferences after games this year due to bad calls?  I suspect much more than most years.  And the Lakers consistently are the beneficiaries of biased officials more than any team in the league.

The NBA must do something to ensure their product is officiated fairly, without bias or fans will quit watching.  Calls are going to be missed because of the human element and that’s understandable.  But what’s not acceptable is when the vast majority of the calls benefit one team over the other when the game is competitive.  Many times after a game is essentially decided, whistles will go the other way to balance out the fouls and free throw attempts in the box score, but the damage has already been done.
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 11:25 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: The crazy part is that Hardy has played well recently and could solve the Kyrie/THJ minutes problem very easily. Furthermore Powell could for Kleber a little. His effort is still useful during the regular season. It just doesn´t translate in the play-offs, when everybody maxes effort and game-planning. We have enough depth for the strategy, if the coaching was sufficient.

There is no reason we cannot be better, especially offensively. This whole offense is ass backwards.

THJ should be the one standing in the corners. He should never touch the ball elsewhere on offense, cause the defense immediately knows: shot. It should be Hardy, Green, Exum and Washington involved in the motions, cause they can actually put it on the floor and willingly pass it. 

Exum 47.8%
Green 40.4%
Hardy 36.5% (trending upwards)

THJ 35.9% (trending downwards)
Washington 31.0%

Washington is 29/47 (62%) from 2pt range, yet has taken far more 3s since he´s here. Since the trade THJ is 12-34 from 2pt range 35%. The Mavs always punish the rooks with don´t bother us, stand in the corner, since the Carlisle days. THJ is the literal definition of stand in the corner and don´t bother us. He always shoots, when he touches the ball. He cannot create off the dribble, cause he never passes and he cannot shoot from inside the 3pt line.

I am actually surprised Hardy hasn't been given a game to show if he can be a spark.   I am not saying he will thrive, but I thought he has had some sparks lately.  I understand why he is out of the rotation though....not sure I agree with it.

I think pairing Hardy with Luka with size is a interesting combo when Kyrie goes out.    I would pair Exum with Kyrie when Luka goes out.    Maybe keep Green in with Exum and Kyrie.   Keep the pace fast and that group has played well at times together.    With Luka and Hardy maybe Jones Jr could be a nice mix and match.    

I don't think that happens but this is what I envision next year....with probably a SF addition to this grouping.
Like Reply