Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happened? A diagnosis
(03-02-2024, 04:44 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Money wise...what is the league average for contenders total for seats 6 - 8 or 9?

6th man of the year award going back to 2016 seems to have an average of under 10M per with Malcolm Brogdan's 22M salary last year as double all other award winners other than Jamal Crawfords 2016 salary of 13M.  Keep in mind Jamal Crawford won the award quite a few times at around 5M per year before his last year winning it(2016) having a salary of 13.5M.  Salary cap jumped in 2016 due to a tv deal supposedly.

Caps gone up...but it seems like the sixth man should be around 10% of salary. 

Josh Green is currently just under 10% of salary...is he 6th man worthy?  THJ is currently above 10% at around 13%...is he 6th man worthy?

THJ is a paradox.  It doesnt matter if he is hot or cold shooting...you are sacrificing offensive possessions letting him chuck.  Green on the other hand is not sacrificing any possessions and most likely adding to offensive possessions with his hustle plays on loose balls, rebounds, steals in transition.

Maxi might be overpaid...but his length and mobility are too hard to find without overpaying contract wise or giving up a bunch of assets for.

Not every team can have a 6th man award winner.  Im curious if Mavs are overpaying for seats 6-9?  Maxi, THJ and Green are all over 10M per.

Disclaimer:  I am going by the information the internet provided me through google...i usually use sporttrac...i may have misread info or be getting played with false info or stats.

Better to use % of total cap vs. raw salary numbers.

6MOY winners by salary and % of cap for the last 10 years:

2023: Brogdon (22.5M, 18%, MLE was 10.5)
2022: Herro (4M, 3%, MLE was 9.5)
2021: Clarkson (11.5M, 10.5%, MLE was 9.2)
2020: Montreszl Harrell (5.6M, 5.1%, MLE was 9.2)
2019: Lou Will (8M, 7.8%, MLE was 8.6)
2018: Lou Will (7M, 7%, MLE was 8.4)
2017: Eric Gordon (12.3M, 13%, MLE was 5.6)
2016: Jamal Crawford (5.6M, 8%, MLE was 5.4)
2015: Lou Will (5.4M, 8.6%, MLE was 5.3)
2014: Jamal Crawford (5.2M, 8.9%, MLE was 5.1)
2013: JR Smith (2.8M, 4.8%, MLE was 5)

Average % of cap for 6MOY: 8.61%

Greens contract will be roughly 8% of next years cap.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(03-05-2024, 03:19 PM)MrGoat Wrote: I don't think it has to do with the owners, my conspiracy is the NBA is actively trying to drive Luka out of Dallas. Kyrie in particular has a rotten whistle. The guy averages less than half the amount of free throws that Damian Lillard does, look it up. That is absolutely ridiculous

Maybe Kyrie should start bitching more to the refs like Luka because it does pressure the refs.

What happened, this thread asks? Here’s a hint. Luka’s averages by month:

October 2023, 36.7 mins, 9.0 FTAs

November 2023, 34.9 mins, 7.2 FTAs

December 2023, 39.5 mins, 9.7 FTAs

January 2024, 38.8 mins, 12.4 FTAs

February 2024, 37.2 mins, 8.5 FTAs

March 2024, 40.0 mins, 6.7 FTAs
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Mavs better avoid play-in, because they will run Luka to the ground until then
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 10:00 PM)youzigizag Wrote: I have read all the post around here...

And this seems to be the most concise post of them all.

Which coach can you bring in that doesnt cause drama?  Is that even possible?

Nice guy equals team is soft to the critics that over run message boards.   Mean guy eventually loses the locker room and is fired.

Is there an x and o's guy that motivates players without treating rookies like manure or berates janitors that wont lose the locker room?

I agree. That's the hard part. I wouldn't even be opposed to keeping Kidd and just getting better X and O assistants with better schemes. Kidd has kept Ky playing great and the guys seem to like him. The problem is that the scheme they are running is just terrible. I'm surprised we don't see more of an NFL style approach with assistants doing an Offensive and Defensive Coordinator style. I think some teams do. But, that's where Dallas needs help the most. Let Kidd be the KY whisperer and handle the egos while true X and O guys run the schemes.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 1 user Likes audiosway's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-08-2024, 04:17 PM)audiosway Wrote: I agree. That's the hard part. I wouldn't even be opposed to keeping Kidd and just getting better X and O assistants with better schemes. Kidd has kept Ky playing great and the guys seem to like him. The problem is that the scheme they are running is just terrible. I'm surprised we don't see more of an NFL style approach with assistants doing an Offensive and Defensive Coordinator style. I think some teams do. But, that's where Dallas needs help the most. Let Kidd be the KY whisperer and handle the egos while true X and O guys run the schemes.

Kidd is threatened by good assistants. He’s tried to get people fired at every one of his stops. Remember Igor?
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-08-2024, 06:26 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Kidd is threatened by good assistants. He’s tried to get people fired at every one of his stops. Remember Igor?

True. Time to move on then.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
Crow eaten. The answer to the thread's questions was what Kidd said at the time - they were implementing a new system, and it took time. And a brilliant change to the starting lineup.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • fifteenth, The Jom
Like Reply
Cmon...youve been around here long enough to know this always happens this time of year.

Board goes crazy in frustration because Mavs are showing all their gears. Then they show them last 1/3 of season and all is good.

Number of bball games needs to be reduced if you can coast for 3/4th a season.
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 05:19 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Cmon...youve been around here long enough to know this always happens this time of year.

Board goes crazy in frustration because Mavs are showing all their gears.  Then they show them last 1/3 of season and all is good.

Number of bball games needs to be reduced if you can coast for 3/4th a season.

This does seem to be Kidd’s MO.  Jack around for the first 2/3 of the season with various lineups and rotations.  No sense of urgency when games are on the line.  Then the last 20-25 games put everything together into a cohesive winning strategy.  He’s even taking timeouts appropriately now.
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 05:46 PM)rocky164 Wrote: This does seem to be Kidd’s MO.  Jack around for the first 2/3 of the season with various lineups and rotations.  No sense of urgency when games are on the line.  Then the last 20-25 games put everything together into a cohesive winning strategy.  He’s even taking timeouts appropriately now.

It was going on with Rick too.

I forget how many years I have been following the Mavs closely.  5 years maybe.   Its been THE EXACT same way every year.

This board goes into meltdown and then last 1/3rd of season Mavs show another gear.

I have many posts with disclaimers at the bottom when I join discussion that say "If we dont get bait and switched as normal".  Most recently was a fire Jason Kidd convo from a few weeks ago.   I put the disclaimer "assuming Mavs dont show another gear late season as normal" or something to that effect.
Like Reply
I think there are explanations other than "jacking around" which better explain the ebb and flow of an NBA season.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 01:50 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I think there are explanations other than "jacking around" which better explain the ebb and flow of an NBA season.

How is a reader supposed to respond to your comment?

Beg you to elaborate?  Ask you why you are being vague?

Post season opponent placement?

Weird post.
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 04:17 PM)youzigizag Wrote: How is a reader supposed to respond to your comment?

Beg you to elaborate?  Ask you why you are being vague?

Post season opponent placement?

Weird post.

I say what I think. I don't really design my posts for the purpose of getting responses. If you ever want to know what I think about something, I won't require you to beg.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 05:29 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I say what I think. I don't really design my posts for the purpose of getting responses. If you ever want to know what I think about something, I won't require you to beg.

Desperate response

Youre scrambling to win a stupid battle.

Childish
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 05:42 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Desperate response

Youre scrambling to win a stupid battle.

Childish

Confused

I'm not trying to win anything at the moment. You're reading me wrong on this one.

I'm easy to have a conversation with though. Just ask me what you want to ask me. 

If your response is "that was weird," I don't really think of that as a question to engage with or "battle" about. It's a fine opinion and doesn't really need adjustment from me. I may be weird. Where's a good shrug emoji when you need it?
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 05:50 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Confused

I'm not trying to win anything at the moment. You're reading me wrong on this one.

I'm easy to have a conversation with though. Just ask me what you want to ask me. 

If your response is "that was weird," I don't really think of that as a question to engage with or "battle" about. It's in a fine opinion and doesn't really need adjustment from me. I may be weird. Where's a good shrug emoji when you need it?

Basketball should reduce games if you can jack around for 2/3rd or 3/4ths a season.

Or do something different than the current half-entertainment half-trying seasons go.
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 05:58 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Basketball should reduce games if you can jack around for 2/3rd or 3/4ths a season.

Or do something different than the current half-entertainment half-trying seasons go.

This is just my take, but I think teams do all of the following things during the regular season (plus more that I don't know about because I'm not a bball professional): develop players, try different lineups and gather data on those lineups, attempt to keep players healthy, work through injuries, keep players in shape, and pace the team to keep them healthy and fresh mentally and physically. And they try to win games while managing all that other stuff. 

I don't think there is much "jacking around" that goes on except for the having fun variety that is needed to keep everyone healthy mentally. 

Do you enjoy the NBA?
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft, The Jom
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 12:41 PM)fifteenth Wrote: . . . I think teams do all of the following things during the regular season (plus more that I don't know about because I'm not a bball professional): develop players, try different lineups and gather data on those lineups, attempt to keep players healthy, work through injuries, keep players in shape, and pace the team to keep them healthy and fresh mentally and physically. And they try to win games while managing all that other stuff. . . .

Like this list. I’d add (on occasion) try to motivate players (especially young ones) by increasing or decreasing their minutes/roles. Maybe that fits into the category of “develop.” Maybe it is “jacking around.” I don’t know. But head games do seem to get played, especially by some coaches. And sometimes it even seems to work.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 12:52 PM)The Jom Wrote: Like this list. I’d add (on occasion) try to motivate players (especially young ones) by increasing or decreasing their minutes/roles. Maybe that fits into the category of “develop.” Maybe it is “jacking around.” I don’t know. But head games do seem to get played, especially by some coaches. And sometimes it even seems to work.

Remember the "clown nose" game of the pre-Dirk Nellie Mavs against Shaq where they first implemented "hack-a-Shaq?" As the fat phuq said at the time, "It's hard to get up for all these games against these lottery teams with their clown coaches."
Like Reply
These guys have lives off the court, too. Basketball is certainly their primary focus, but other non-game distractions pop up during the season. Like having your first kid. Losing a loved one. Contract negotiations. etc.

The goal is to make it through 82 games healthy and playing well enough to earn playoff money.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply