Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Game 58: Dallas Mavericks (33-24) vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (37-19)
[Image: 3851217-78257268-2560-1440.jpg]

Grant Afseth (@GrantAfseth)
Dallas Mavericks Injury Report vs. Cleveland Cavaliers:

Luka Doncic - probable (broken nose)
Josh Green - probable (right elbow sprain)
Maxi Kleber - probable (nasal fracture)
Dereck Lively II - probable (nasal fracture)
Dante Exum - doubtful (right knee bursitis)
Olivier-Maxence Prosper - out (G League)
A.J. Lawson - out (G League)
Branon Williams - out (G League)
Greg Brown III - out (G League)
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Shorthanded Cavs really took it to the Mavs last game. Dallas started out the game hot and was having fun but then let off the gas and when their shots started missing, Cavs kept plugging away. Allen really took it to Lively.

Now the Cavs are healthy. Really interested to see how our new bigger rotation looks against a pretty imposing front line. Defensive intensity will still be the key. When the mavs are a tad above average on defense they are really difficult to beat if Kyrie and Luka play like stars.
Like Reply
(02-27-2024, 09:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Shorthanded Cavs really took it to the Mavs last game. Dallas started out the game hot and was having fun but then let off the gas and when their shots started missing, Cavs kept plugging away.  Allen really took it to Lively. 

Now the Cavs are healthy.  Really interested to see how our new bigger rotation looks against a pretty imposing front line.    Defensive intensity will still be the key.    When the mavs are a tad above average on defense they are really difficult to beat if Kyrie and Luka play like stars.

Tough game either way.  Cavs are ranked 2nd in scoring defense only to the T-Wolves.  Mavs have to shoot lights out for a chance to win.
Like Reply
(02-27-2024, 01:29 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Tough game either way.  Cavs are ranked 2nd in scoring defense only to the T-Wolves.  Mavs have to shoot lights out for a chance to win.

Really need Timmy to step up and return to form.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Exum out for this one too
Like Reply
(02-27-2024, 04:13 PM)omahen Wrote: Exum out for this one too

This is getting kind of crazy, imo. 

Were injuries part of what derailed his NBA career the first time? Because I can't imagine he's going to get anywhere at this rate. Sucks for him.
Like Reply
(02-27-2024, 04:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is getting kind of crazy, imo. 

Were injuries part of what derailed his NBA career the first time? Because I can't imagine he's going to get anywhere at this rate. Sucks for him.

I remember him tearing his ACL and missing a full year like his second or third year.  Tore it playing with Australia.

Brusitis is something that can come back very easily I believe if you aren't cautious with it.  I hope that is what's happening here.
Like Reply
lol it must have been worse than I remember:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/ox...player_in/
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply

It sounds like he may be back tomorrow.  But I agree, he is now in a prove it that he can stay healthy stage.  I think he is ideal as the third guard in a four guard rotation with this team if he can stay healthy and play like he had.   

The initial injury was plantar Fasciitis.  That is a nagging injury and tough to play through.  The current injury is Knee Bursitis.  That is more concerning because he has had knee injuries in the past.  Maybe the Plantar Fasciitis played a role in the knee injury.

Slovenia night...so I expect a good/great Luka game. Kyrie returning to Cleveland...so I expect a good game from him too.

Cleveland will be a tough battle. Mavs being locked in on offense and defense will be key. They weren't locked in on either against Indy. They won't beat Cleveland being sloppy.
Like Reply

Injuries effectively killed his entire career. Really bad knee injury year 2 that caused him to miss the entire year. Since then, there was always something that limited him to less than 40 games afterwards.

They're definitely being ultra cautious here though. Bursitis of the knee is a common overuse injury and the only way to treat it is 100% rest. It can also take anywhere from 1-6 weeks, just depending on the person to get back to feeling normal.

So I'm not surprised Exum got this type of injury. Thankfully there are really no long term effects from an acute case.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Cleveland has the highest population of Slovenians outside of Slovenia. Luka big game incoming
Like Reply
I haven’t been a huge fan of these Gafford/Kleber lineups so far, especially when they have included DJJ, but I will hope for the best tonight.
Like Reply
(02-27-2024, 07:12 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Cleveland has the highest population of Slovenians outside of Slovenia. Luka big game incoming

Every game is a big game for The Don.
Like Reply
Lively was a beast in the first quarter tonight, as per usual.
Like Reply
Kidd subbed out Green first and left Kyrie in. Curious to see if Luka plays the entire first quarter. On B2b.

So far bad Levert is helping us.
Like Reply
(02-27-2024, 07:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I haven’t been a huge fan of these Gafford/Kleber lineups so far, especially when they have included DJJ, but I will hope for the best tonight.

They need to play a big lineup vs Allen and Mobley.
Like Reply
(02-27-2024, 07:30 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: They need to play a big lineup vs Allen and Mobley.

not sure I agree, because ever since they made that change it has been wide-open threes in transition. Kind of seems like they are not quick enough right now to me.

Hardaway really looks like he is struggling to fit in with the new-look rotation. I can’t quite figure out why.
Like Reply
More Hardy, less Hardaway
Like Reply
The Mavs’ understanding of how to matchup in defensive transition is just horrible. They are even having a high ever game on defense playing effectively at times on that end of the floor. But my goodness, when teams run??? Yuck.

Hardy seems a bit overmatched.
Like Reply
Hardy should’ve made one more pass there.
Like Reply