Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who has the most to gain/lose during the rest of the season?
Probably no right answer and a lot of choices.  Kidd, Nico, Luka, Kyrie, PJ, others all have case to make.

My choice is Josh Green though.  Josh has a golden opportunity to take the starting SF position and not look back.   This offseason it appears Dallas will look for another wing.  If feels like one way or another they are going to add a player there.   The level Green plays too may determine if that is a starter or a rotation guy.   If he doesn't grab it, they are probably looking for a starting level player.  Worse yet, Green could be used as a trade piece.   If he grabs it, he could put him in solid footing for a while here.

Last year it felt like Josh was making a jump.  He got hurt for a bit and then found himself in lower minutes.   It sort of zapped all the momentum he was building.  It is tough to make conclusions because the season was such a disaster.  Will this year be different?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
My vote is Exum. Is he the guy who made a case to be a starter or is he the guy who has missed over 20 games? I know we have an option on him for next year but his role on the team could be in jeopardy if he keeps missing games. Heck his job could be in danger, no team wants a back up who can't be depended on.

And you could make the case for Derrick Jones Jr. - is he going to get enough playing time now? There would have seemed to be mutual interest in a return next season but is there now? The man wants to get paid and that only happens if he gets enough playing time to secure a role with a team for next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • Chicagojk
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 03:49 PM)MFFL Wrote: My vote is Exum. Is he the guy who made a case to be a starter or is he the guy who has missed over 20 games? I know we have an option on him for next year but his role on the team could be in jeopardy if he keeps missing games. Heck his job could be in danger, no team wants a back up who can't be depended on.

And you could make the case for Derrick Jones Jr. - is he going to get enough playing time now? There would have seemed to be mutual interest in a return next season but is there now? The man wants to get paid and that only happens if he gets enough playing time to secure a role with a team for next year.

The Mavs would have to be monumentally stupid not to exercise the TO on Exum even if he never plays another game this year. He plays so far above his contract it's ridiculous.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • mvossman, rocky164
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 03:41 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Probably no right answer and a lot of choices.  Kidd, Nico, Luka, Kyrie, PJ, others all have case to make.

My choice is Josh Green though.  Josh has a golden opportunity to take the starting SF position and not look back.   This offseason it appears Dallas will look for another wing.  If feels like one way or another they are going to add a player there.   The level Green plays too may determine if that is a starter or a rotation guy.   If he doesn't grab it, they are probably looking for a starting level player.  Worse yet, Green could be used as a trade piece.   If he grabs it, he could put him in solid footing for a while here.

Last year it felt like Josh was making a jump.  He got hurt for a bit and then found himself in lower minutes.   It sort of zapped all the momentum he was building.  It is tough to make conclusions because the season was such a disaster.  Will this year be different?

Interesting perspective on Green.

If he continues to play as he was the last couple of weeks before All-Star, then he is worth his new contract, which means he would have positive trade value. The Mavs viewed him as untouchable in trade, and that looks appropriate so far. It's a completely different look to the TDL if Green goes for PJ (lose a starter to fill another starting hole). We certainly aren't potential contenders (which I believe the current team definitely is) if that happened. 

The move this summer is THJ for something. It seems readily apparent from where I'm sitting that Hardy is the THJ replacement. If the package is THJ + Green + draft capital for an upgrade to Green, great. That guy would have to be a point of attack defender who is definitely better than Green at that, while also being a superior scorer. Who fits that profile? 

Are the Mavs looking for "another wing," or "another big wing?" I presume that PJ stays regardless of anything. Several principles for me:

1) I understand that it's ridiculous to view Luka as anything other than the PG on offense, but for positional building, he is 100%, incontrovertibly an SF. He defends the lesser of the opponent's forwards/3-4 guys. Luka ideally never defends a guard. That, to me, dictates that's it's an objective misnomer to think of Green as an SF. It makes Green look far less valuable to the Mavs, present and future, than he actually is. He's a guard, and his "smaller wing" size is absolutely fine for that.

2) As long as Kyrie is around, he defends the weaker of the two guards. 

3) Those two realities dictate that whoever else is in the starting and finishing lineup with Luka, Kyrie, and Lively must include someone who can defend the point of attack. That's Green's role right now. Exum probably does it better, but isn't as reliably healthy. Is PJ boss enough on D to do that? 

4)  My overall point with all of this is that if the target is a starting wing who would presumably replace Green, either a) it's a wing so versatile that he can regularly, if not 24/7, defend PGs, or b) it's a guy who is actually substantially bigger than PJ, but they think PJ is good enough as a wing to be that guy who defends PGs all the time. While I like me some PJ, I'm pretty dubious on b).

I think the most likely thing if this were the approach would be c) that the Mavs were as colossally stupid as many of the fandom outside of this board as to believe that the Mavs are just fine defensively with a starting backcourt of Kyrie/Luka. Buying into that would be the decision not to compete on a playoff level ever for the rest of Kyrie's time here.

I know I speak in extreme language. I also know I'm right about this. Insert Boromir meme here - one does not simply build a Mavs starting/ending lineup of Kyrie/Luka/PJ/Lively with another big wing who is not expected to be able to guard PGs or dominant SG scorers and expect to win crap.

What do I hope happens? For as long as Kyrie is here (which presumably includes all of next season, unless he has one of his historical off-court implosions), I would want the Mavs to retain all of Luka (duh), Kyrie, Lively, Exum, Green, PJ, and Gafford. Maxi will presumably age out, which is fine - let OMax grow into his role. I hope THJ goes for air and draft picks. Then we could re-sign DJJ if they wanted to, or just have financial flexibility moving forward, or find a good bench level wing to replace him.

But - I'm fine with a THJ/Green/picks trade for a POA defender with superior offensive skills who is identifiable as a shooting guard and/or "small wing" who is more or less Green's size or a little bit bigger. What I'm opposed to is getting a "big wing" who can't defend guards very, very consistently.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Chicagojk, loki
Like Reply
I think the one at a crossroads is Kidd. What he does with this end-of-season will be illuminating.

There are a lot of things in play for him to navigate, but none of those issues are really team-stoppers.

Allocation of minutes and rotations.
Allowing for rest and avoiding injuries.
Determining team style of play, on offense and defense.
Development of team chemistry in the court, and young players needing to improve.
Balancing team needs and individual needs (that often conflict).
Winning enough games to be in a good position for the playoffs, while also creating the best opportunity for post-season success (those can conflict as well).
Working for now, while also laying the groundwork for the future (player satisfaction, player skills, player desire to be a Mav long term)

Those are a lot of plates to juggle, but it also means there's a real opportunity for Kidd to showcase whatever he can bring to a team. And all of the individual players at a crossroads are also some of what is on Kidd's plate, to get the best possible outcome from each, but in a way that is most beneficial to the team.
[-] The following 5 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Benskix2, Chicagojk, DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I don't think Exum has anything to prove the rest of the year. Maybe next year, but not this year.

Josh Green needs to continue making the strides he has shown lately.

Since I'm old and senile I don't remember when Jaden Hardy's contract is up--but he needs to get on the stick. Recent play leaves me encouraged.

Omax has a pass this year, but he still needs playing time and to show improvement.

So--my pick is PJ Washington. I'm not certain he has the BBIQ, or really the physical tools. We will see I guess.
[-] The following 2 users Like ballsrchr's post:
  • Chicagojk, F Gump
Like Reply
My 2c

1 Thinking further on the rest-of-season opportunity, and the various players, this really is a team that has lots of choices flowing from having an abundance of talent. When fully healthy ...

THE STARTING LOCKS ....  with minimum minutes

Luka (32)        Kyrie  (32)      ___________     _____________    Lively/Gafford  (20 / 20)

THE ROTATION PLAYERS ... from smallest position to biggest, together splitting 136 minutes or less

Exum    Hardy      THJ       Green        DJJ         PJW         Kleber

BENCH .... when everyone is healthy, probably 0 minutes total

[Williams]  [Lawson]                                       Omax Morris  Powell

2 Having 7 players who overlap and averaging less than 20 mpg leaves lots of room to cover injuries just by playing some of them more, and no real hole until you happen to have multiple injuries at a time. There are no apparent holes. You have players who can defend.
3 Looking ahead, having 7 good players on the next level to fill 2 starting spots and two backup spots seems like a good allocation of resources. But you never know whether the good turn into better, or into not-so-good, nor what injuries may do.
4 It seems possible to use this same mix for beyond this season, to positive effect. Exum is a lock to be kept, and slotting DJJ for $5.2M (the most possible under current limits) in a known system for him and regular defined rotation spot and opportunity seems possible. THJ makes sense as a scorer when he is bracketed by both Hardy and Green where his use is limited if he is sparing it up, and not sure you can trade him for a better result than where he slots right now. Is it even something that would be a plus?
5 There is upside possible -- room to fill out the back of the roster differently next year, and Lively, Omax, and others still learning.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Chicagojk, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I agree with Mr. Gump that it is Coach Kidd. He's been mailing it in and blaming the roster for the awful team defense since the bubble run, now he has all the tools he asked for.

BUUUUT it's going to be tough to judge based on results, even if we play great for the rest of the season we won't be favored in the first round, so getting eliminated won't automatically disqualify him. We have to show enough improvement that we feel good about the trajectory of the team, Nico has done enough to get a chance to try to and find a new coach if things go south IMO.

A close 2nd is THJ. At the end of last season he seemed like a guy you couldn't give away if you wanted. He's been great this year, but I think we are all just waiting for him to regress. I'm honestly conflicted about him now and I've spent years telling anyone that would or wouldn't listen that the guy was total trash and that anything positive he did was a mirage. But even if he's great the rest of the year he probably still gets traded, because it would be dumb to extend him and hopefully we're done just letting contracts expire and guys walk now that broke ass billionaire Cuban is playing with house money.
[-] The following 2 users Like Benskix2's post:
  • Chicagojk, F Gump
Like Reply
The roster is good. It’s all on Kidd. A playoff miss and he’s gone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Chicagojk
Like Reply
What a great thread. I am not sure about my answer, so I’m going to think about it. I do like Gump’s answer, because I am on the fence about Jason Kidd still.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Chicagojk
Like Reply
I am more or less with Scott on this one. Trade THJ for either a starting level guard or another rotation guard. Defender that can do stuff offensively. THJ will be 32 soon and his role will be reduced when Mavs will be fully healthy, hence he is overpaid at his salary. I think new additions reduce the need for his offense even when Mavs are not fully healthy.

It would be great to keep THJ level of salary moving forward paying the tax and maximizing the team for a couple of title runs. So don't just let him expire and walk to save money.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Chicagojk
Like Reply
For me it is Kidd. He has a championship roster now imho. Other than that I don´t know if THJ has anything to lose, but he´s probably the last trade piece puzzle, where you can probably swing for a disgruntled player like John Collins or Andrew Wiggins.

Anyway I feel this roster is now constructed to react to any situation or the other way around punish whenever the other team reacts to us like the Suns going small last night. I also feel we have another gear to go to in the 2nd half and maybe part of that is already Kidd using all the piece for his tactical adjustments.

2nd halves

+18 Spurs
+13 Suns
+15 Wizards
+26 OKC

Youth, depth, adjustments.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • Chicagojk
Like Reply
I think it's THJ. If he can find a way to be effective in a reduced role the Mavs could keep him around next year. If not, this may be the offseason they dump him for a 2nd round pick (assuming they can't package him with a pick for an upgrade) and look for guys like Exum/Hardy/DJJ to take his minutes.

It probably should be Kidd, but it feels like the Mavs are committed to him. He's likely to stick around no matter what happens the rest of the season. Other guys like PJ and Green have a lot to prove but aren't likely to be dangled in trades.
[-] The following 2 users Like loki's post:
  • Chicagojk, The Jom
Like Reply
(02-23-2024, 08:42 AM)loki Wrote: I think it's THJ. If he can find a way to be effective in a reduced role the Mavs could keep him around next year. If not, this may be the offseason they dump him for a 2nd round pick (assuming they can't package him with a pick for an upgrade) and look for guys like Exum/Hardy/DJJ to take his minutes.

It probably should be Kidd, but it feels like the Mavs are committed to him. He's likely to stick around no matter what happens the rest of the season. Other guys like PJ and Green have a lot to prove but aren't likely to be dangled in trades.

I think I pass...even as good as hes been this year and less frustrating.

I am highly confident THJ has Jerami Grant syndrome...he wants to shoot the ball over team performance.

Last night he did it again...late in second half...took the ball up court and you could tell he was licking his chops, the ball was his and he was not about to pass it...sure enough...awful pull up contested 3 off balance.

He has main character syndrome.

Mavs took a chance on PJ Washington even though his defensive advanced stats werent good.   I am wondering if all the complaints about Wiggins arent just blowing hot air to blow hot air.   I watched the Lakers/GSW game last night to see how Wiggins played compared to Washington athletically...Wiggins is a completely different animal athletically.   They are both 6'7 with similar wingspans...but PJ weighs 35lbs more...so you really cant compare them too much even though 35 pounds spread over a 6'7 frame isnt that much.

I was very anti-PJ based on eye test...and the analytics didnt support PJ either.   Looks like he could be a good fit.   Are we so sure that Wiggins couldnt return to GSW Championship form from a couple of years ago.   He didnt look lazy last night at all.   He would up the size/defense of this team.

Here is the thing...posters hate his contract and think he has a loser mentality.   Yet...his performance in the Championship supported his pay and he certainly did not look like a loser killing it on defense then.  

Ultimately my post comes down to some of the points made in this thread...Wiggins:

1)Ups the size of team wing wise
2)Adds lengthy proven defense
3)Can do things offensively
4)Is supposedly gettable and you might get something back from GSW for taking on the contract
5)Most importantly...he doesnt require the ball which fits perfect with Luka

Can he guard POA?  He seems athletic enough and has long arms which seem like it would make it difficult to get around him.  But I dont know.

He is 29.  Not that big a deal, but not perfect.   Contract would end when he is 32 or 33.

I am spit balling because I cant think of a lengthy wing that checks all the boxes that is gettable without mortgaging the future.   I know posters on here are tired of the Wiggins talk and overly hate him for some reason...but I cant think of another player that checks all the boxes that is available and wont cost a bunch.   

I guess 25M ascending is too steep...and I get it.   

I have read recently that GSW were looking for a shooter like THJ.  There have been mentions of Josh Green would look good in GSW system.  I might be the biggest Josh Green supporter here.  Dont want to lose him at all.   But if he soils the sheets in Playoffs and general consensus is he should be traded sooner than later...wouldnt Green/THJ get it done and maybe get something back?

Which bargain bin wings would you rather have that have size and arent too expensive to acquire asset wise?
Like Reply
If the Mavs trade 23 year old Josh Green, making $13M AAV for 29 year old Andrew Wiggins, making $27M AAV… I will riot!
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-23-2024, 11:02 AM)Smitty Wrote: If the Mavs trade 23 year old Josh Green, making $13M AAV for 29 year old Andrew Wiggins, making $27M AAV… I will riot!

I get it.

I guess we have OMax.

I just want lengthy two-way guys and they arent easy to find and are expensive to acquire and usually have big contracts.
Like Reply
(02-23-2024, 11:14 AM)youzigizag Wrote: I get it.

I guess we have OMax.

I just want lengthy two-way guys and they arent easy to find and are expensive to acquire and usually have big contracts.

I don’t think this team needs to take a risk on a guy like Wiggins. The age and cap sheet for this roster is setup nicely. Continuing that build is the way to go imo. The obvious and easiest “upgrade” is THJ expiring. It doesn’t have to be a massive swing, especially not a risky one. Just an upgrade or better “fit” than what THJ provides.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(02-23-2024, 11:19 AM)Smitty Wrote: I don’t think this team needs to take a risk on a guy like Wiggins. The age and cap sheet for this roster is setup nicely. Continuing that build is the way to go imo. The obvious and easiest “upgrade” is THJ expiring. It doesn’t have to be a massive swing, especially not a risky one. Just an upgrade or better “fit” than what THJ provides.

Does that opinion change if we get the mallet from a young, lengthy team in the Playoffs?

Im over wasting anymore Luka years too.

Seems like there are some lengthy good teams in the NBA. In Playoffs when teams tighten up defense and try hard rebounding...length matter.
Like Reply
(02-23-2024, 11:22 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Does that opinion change if we get the mallet from a young, lengthy team in the Playoffs?

Im over wasting anymore Luka years too.

Seems like there are some lengthy good teams in the NBA.  In Playoffs when teams tighten up defense and try hard rebounding...length matter.

Josh Green is not undersized. He’s a 6’5 - 200lb SG.

When people stop thinking of Luka as a PG, when thinking of roster construction, the better off they’ll be. 

PG - Kyrie 6’2
SG - Green 6’5
SF - Luka 6’7
PF - PJW 6’7
C - Lively 7’1

Josh Green is the same size as Exum, DJJ and THJ.

Also, there is not one possible scenario with how the season could end where I would be okay with trading him for Wiggins.
[-] The following 6 users Like Smitty's post:
  • ballsrchr, DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, Mavs2021, MFFL, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-23-2024, 10:16 PM)Smitty Wrote: Josh Green is not undersized. He’s a 6’5 - 200lb SG.

When people stop thinking of Luka as a PG, when thinking of roster construction, the better off they’ll be. 

PG - Kyrie 6’2
SG - Green 6’5
SF - Luka 6’7
PF - PJW 6’7
C - Lively 7’1

Josh Green is the same size as Exum, DJJ and THJ.

Also, there is not one possible scenario with how the season could end where I would be okay with trading him for Wiggins.

Exactly. Josh is 6’5 with an almost 6’10 wingspan. I wouldn’t trade him(and THJ) for Wiggins even if a GS first round pick was attached.
[-] The following 3 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • MFFL, Scott41theMavs, The Jom
Like Reply