Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 56: Phoenix Suns (33-22) vs. Dallas Mavericks (32-23)
(02-22-2024, 09:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Physicality elevating….Mavs showing signs of a little softness. I hope they can match the Suns’ higher gear. It’s like a playoff game.

It's hard to match their physicality without fouling. Rarely complain about the refs but it feels like the Suns get away with a lot of contact on defense and get a soft whistle on offense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 09:27 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Lively lazy close out on that last 3 by Okogie. He really needs to work on that.

Wasn´t Okogie. Was Little. Error was even leaving Little. Don´t show/double on a damn Okogie dribble. He can take any shot he wants.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Kleber gets hit and on the shot and no foul.
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 09:27 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Lively lazy close out on that last 3 by Okogie. He really needs to work on that.

I don’t know if it’s the right strategy, but they seem to be allowing Okogie to shoot intentionally.

PJ Washington seems to be getting more comfortable on offense and he is much better at attacking closeouts than Grant Williams was. Better than DFS was too, for that matter.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Kleber or PJ help off Okogie/Little. Double KD. Good adjustment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I also like that Luka/PJ double team on KD. A little bigger than what he’s used to, I bet.
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 09:09 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Booker throws his shoulder into Green's chest and gets rewarded with FTs.

He did it twice.  Blatant offensive foul x 2.  Not just a terrible call but pathetic that Kidd didn't challenge it.
Like Reply
Green has become a LETHAL corner shooter.

Another great stretch of play with Kleber at the 5 and Washington at the 4
Like Reply
PJ owned Booker, and then Green gives a cheap foul.

Green, WTF???
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 09:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Welp, hate to say it, but Daniel Gafford seems to be a baaad defender.

Good offensive rebounder though.

I feel like we're watching a different game.  I thought Gafford looked really good except for one clumsy foul.  He got called for a second one for hurting Devin Booker's feelings.  I thought that was an amazing block.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 09:42 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I feel like we're watching a different game.  I thought Gafford looked really good except for one clumsy foul.  He got called for a second one for hurting Devin Booker's feelings.  I thought that was an amazing block.

Blocks are cool, but most of the time the attempt becomes a foul, not a cool block. I just don’t like centers who leave their feet often. It’s almost always a bad play.

I have enjoyed this last several minute stretch with Kleber anchoring the defense much more than I did the stretches of Gafford tonight.
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 09:24 PM)speedkilz88 Wrote: How can you not call a foul when he takes Luka down while he's dribbling?

It looked like a legal tackle to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Watching Josh Green is entertaining. Dude is just hustling out there to make plays on loose balls.

Glad Im able to watch him.
[-] The following 2 users Like youzigizag's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 09:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Blocks are cool, but most of the time the attempt becomes a foul, not a cool block. I just don’t like centers who leave their feet often. It’s almost always a bad play.

I have enjoyed this last several minute stretch with Kleber anchoring the defense much more than I did the stretches of Gafford tonight.

They're the exact opposite player.  Gafford doesn't contest as well from the perimeter but is more likely to secure the defensive board.  Maxi can stretch the floor some but Gafford is vastly superior on the offensive boards and finishing near the rim.  It's nice to have them both.  I think Maxi at the 4 will be helpful against the bigger contenders like Minnesota and Denver.  

I think Gafford and the resurgent Maxi both have a role here.
[-] The following 5 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
The refs aren’t go to call Royce O’Neale blatantly shoving PJ in the back and into Durant?
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
Gaffords rebounding is so refreshing
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 09:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Blocks are cool, but most of the time the attempt becomes a foul, not a cool block. I just don’t like centers who leave their feet often. It’s almost always a bad play.

Off topic. But blocks are by far the least valuable boxscore stat. Can even be argued that in many cases the trade off (more fouls, less rebounding) isn't worth it. A few analysis. Quick summary. The block isn't the important play. What happens after the block matters.

https://squared2020.com/2017/12/20/making-blocks-count/

https://medium.com/swlh/the-value-of-an-...f97cf3fe73
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 09:48 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: They're the exact opposite player.  Gafford doesn't contest as well from the perimeter but is more likely to secure the defensive board.  Maxi can stretch the floor some but Gafford is vastly superior on the offensive boards and finishing near the rim.  It's nice to have them both.  I think Maxi at the 4 will be helpful against the bigger contenders like Minnesota and Denver.  

I think Gafford and the resurgent Maxi both have a role here.

I agree with all of that, but none of that is what I’m talking about. I think Kleber is FAR superior at PLAYING DEFENSE. I don’t mean just on the perimeter, I mean, positioning his body in order to make it difficult on the offense IN GENERAL.

I care way more about that than rebounding, and I always have.
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 09:49 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: The refs aren’t go to call Royce O’Neale blatantly shoving PJ in the back and into Durant?

Much like the whole game they are pretending they didn't see it.
Like Reply
Thank goodness Kidd agrees with me, and Gafford only got a short stint here down the stretch to give Kleber a blow.

I really think we are going to see Kleber and Washington close games out in the front court a lot.
Like Reply