Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 53: Oklahoma City Thunder (35-16) vs. Dallas Mavericks (29-23)
(02-10-2024, 05:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I know PJs contribution wasn’t as obvious as Gafford’s, but like Derek lively, Gafford’s role is really straightforward and easy to jump into, whereas PJ is going to take a while to get acclimated.

However, I think he made a pretty big difference in terms of boxing out, rebounding, attacking closeouts, defending and just generally being a long, quick presence out there.

He had 14/5 on 60% shooting, +28 and was 5/6 inside the 3pt line and people thought he was so-so. Scary to think what will happen, if he plays well.

Grant Williams can play in China for the next decade and he will never go 5/6 inside the 3pt line. Big Grin

Washington´s ability to attack close-outs from the SF/PF position has been missing from this team forever. It hurts the opposing defenses so much, when there is a 3rd guy that can punish all the defensive focus teams put on Luka/Kyrie by actually driving into all the acres of space behind the double teams.
[-] The following 12 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, donzingis38, Dundalis, Kidnova, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, rocky164, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 05:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is that a typo or a bad ass nickname?

It's what Wizards fans called him. 

An incredible nickname.

(02-10-2024, 05:37 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: He had 14/5 on 60% shooting, +28 and was 5/6 inside the 3pt line and people thought he was so-so. Scary to think what will happen, if he plays well.

Grant Williams can play in China for the next decade and he will never go 5/6 inside the 3pt line. Big Grin

Washington´s ability to attack close-outs from the SF/PF position has been missing from this team forever. It hurts the opposing defenses so much, when there is a 3rd guy that can punish all the defensive focus teams put on Luka/Kyrie by actually driving into all the acres of space behind the double teams.

He reminded me a lot of Josh Howard in a way. 

That little push shot in the paint looks like his bread and butter.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
He didnt seem pumped by the crowd like Gafford or noticeable as Gafford.

He wasnt doing anything special to jump off the screen which has been his critics biggest complaint.

He adds length and bball skill. Im sure Luka can work with that.

Im sure he fits and our team will improve with his presence. He just isnt an in your face impact player. Thats fine.
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 05:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is that a typo or a bad ass nickname?

That's actually his nickname
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
One thing that should go in the column of those arguing against my worries the past couple of days is the mindset of the team. I don’t think this has anything to do with the future I’m worried about, but it cannot be denied that the trade energized the attitude and general vibe of the team today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 05:37 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: He had 14/5 on 60% shooting, +28 and was 5/6 inside the 3pt line and people thought he was so-so. Scary to think what will happen, if he plays well.

This. And when he missed that one and Gafford was there for the offensive rebound and put back…….i wanted to cry. It’s been so many years since we’ve seen these things
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Gafford will get a lot of lobs from Luka. He made two of Luka's passes work, when they were really borderline passes.

I have to think he'll average a few more points here.
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 05:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: One thing that should go in the column of those arguing against my worries the past couple of days is the mindset of the team. I don’t think this has anything to do with the future I’m worried about, but it cannot be denied that the trade energized the attitude and general vibe of the team today.

Agree - and I bet no longer having the threat of being traded helped with focus too.
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 05:41 PM)youzigizag Wrote: He didnt seem pumped by the crowd like Gafford or noticeable as Gafford.

He wasnt doing anything special to jump off the screen which has been his critics biggest complaint.

He adds length and bball skill.  Im sure Luka can work with that.

Im sure he fits and our team will improve with his presence.  He just isnt an in your face impact player.  Thats fine.

Must be hard to please you. Literally everyone else is ecstatic about both of their debuts. What were you expecting?
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
Awesome game. Mavs looked like offensive juggernaut and defense was good too. How is it possible Luka didn't get any steal credited in the stats? There was at least the one against Dort and probably a couple more. Basically everyone played well. Didn't like a couple of forced shots by THJ.

I loved how they gave Giddey the Ben Simons treatment and he delivered with authority.
[-] The following 4 users Like omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, SleepingHero, Tyler
Like Reply
Also, Luka scored 32 on just 14 shots!
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 06:04 PM)omahen Wrote: Also, Luka scored 32 on just 14 shots!

32 points in 3 quarters is crazy. The fact he did it on 14 shots too just adds another level of nutty.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Would have liked to see Luka get 40 again. He’s a much better player than SGA, and should be the MVP
[-] The following 1 user Likes GATA's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Two more things:
- I noticed Mavs changed D lately. I think they are packing the paint more, helping on drives, giving up a bit more threes in the process. But it brought result.
- Mavs are really pushing the ball lately
Like Reply
Gafford's post-game talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfhWYt2o0EM
Like Reply
It's not gonna be this easy against most teams but it's crazy to see the Mavs win a game with SIZE and TALENT in the frontcourt. We're just so used to the "well at least our guys are scrappy (but not in a way that gets rebounds or blocks shots)" reality
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 05:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: One thing that should go in the column of those arguing against my worries the past couple of days is the mindset of the team. I don’t think this has anything to do with the future I’m worried about, but it cannot be denied that the trade energized the attitude and general vibe of the team today.

Some might say getting rid of Grant Williams can have that effect on a team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Gafford had one block in the first half against SGA. It was really impressive. SGA had been hitting that shot against us since last year. Every time we play him, he has very little resistance. He is a stud, but we made it too easy for him. In the second half, it wasn't a block but it was a really good contest that impacted the shot. I can't remember who shot it but those are the type of plays we need. Teams have had way too many looks in the lane. Hopefully that changes a bit. It does look like if teams go small, he may struggle some. But I loved how he was attacking the offensive boards. It is a real factor.

I hope Maxi can stay healthy. Maybe it is because players haven't seen him lately, but I love when guards/wings look him up and think he is easy go get by only to find out that it is not as easy as they thought. I love that.
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 09:41 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Gafford had one block in the first half against SGA.  It was really impressive.  SGA had been hitting that shot against us since last year.  Every time we play him, he has very little resistance.  He is a stud, but we made it too easy for him.  In the second half, it wasn't a block but it was a really good contest that impacted the shot.  I can't remember who shot it but those are the type of plays we need.  Teams have had way too many looks in the lane.  Hopefully that changes a bit.  It does look like if teams go small, he may struggle some.  But I loved how he was attacking the offensive boards.  It is a real factor. 

I hope Maxi can stay healthy.  Maybe it is because players haven't seen him lately, but I love when guards/wings look him up and think he is easy go get by only to find out that it is not as easy as they thought.  I love that.

With a drop we might give up more open 3's and mid range shots than we would like, but I'll take it if we can control the boards and eliminate most layups
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 10:06 PM)Jym Wrote: With a drop we might give up more open 3's and mid range shots than we would like, but I'll take it if we can control the boards and eliminate most layups
There's really not any way to defend every kind of shot in today's NBA, it's pick your poison. At least with Lively/Gafford, we can eliminate one easy path, whereas before teams could just get whatever they want, wherever they want.
[-] The following 2 users Like Branduil's post:
  • BigDirk41, Smitty
Like Reply