Poll: Who played above expectations?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Kleber: 4 rbd, 3 ast, 1 stl, 4 blk, 2 pts
3.70%
1 3.70%
DJJ: 5 rbd, 3 ast, 18 pts
18.52%
5 18.52%
Kyrie: 5 rbd, 5 ast, 16 pts
0%
0 0%
Luka: 8 rbd, 11 ast, 4 stl, 1 blk, 36 pts
62.96%
17 62.96%
Josh Green: 6 rbd, 3 ast, 1 stl, 1 blk, 15 pts
11.11%
3 11.11%
THJ: 2 rbd, 2 ast, 19 pts
3.70%
1 3.70%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 52 Dirkie Thread: A competitive race, but Luka won pulling away...
This game shouldn't have been in question at all. But the Knicks played hard. The Mavs played ok, but didn't seem like they could put the Knicks away. In my sports endeavors I learned it was best to tromp on my opponent any time I got the chance. That way, the next time we met, it would be in the back of their minds that I could easily beat them. Psycho warfare. All's fair in international tiddlywinks...

I wish there was somebody beside Luka who excelled, or played above expectations. This was a fairly pedestrian game. One question: How can the refs miss all the hits in the face every single game?

Ah...I'm giving my Dirkie to Luka. He played another 40 minute game...and we needed it. Maybe Luka should be playing for Thibs. Or maybe Kidd is Thibs in disguise. Naw...Thibs actually has a game plan, rather than just "...give the ball to Luka..."
[-] The following 2 users Like ballsrchr's post:
  • BoredAssistant, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
Luka was awesome yet again and gets my vote. He's been historic lately. 2nd place goes to Divincenzo.
Like Reply
I was tempted to go with DJJ because he's been in a real offensive funk with that banged up wrist. But some of those 3s Luka poured in during the 4th were just nasty
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
Give me Luka. How it should be when you are playing at MSG.

Small props for Cuban hugging Jalen after the game. Glad all the pettiness by Mark last year is hopefully behind him.
Like Reply
Went Luka. Gutty performance. Josh Green had another nice game. He’s suddenly pretty indispensable and our 4th best player at this point.
[-] The following 2 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 11:58 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Went Luka. Gutty performance. Josh Green had another nice game. He’s suddenly pretty indispensable and our 4th best player at this point.

Green's emergence, unimaginable two months ago, is quite the boon for the Mavs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
So this game makes me rather hopeful that a front four of Lively/Gafford flanked by Washington/Kleber might just be special. Even moreover that we did not gut our wings to get there...

I gave DJJ the nod because the dude is simply our primary PoA defender. IF we are going to have a chance to be what we were in Kidd's first playoff run as coach - solid defensively: DJJ is straw that will make it happen.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 12:22 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Green's emergence, unimaginable two months ago, is quite the boon for the Mavs.

Never wavered. There are 4 or 5 of us Green truthers around. Dan S., Sefant (we were both big Green boosters on Mavs.com for years before migrating here) and a couple others I’m forgetting at the moment…

(02-09-2024, 12:22 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Green's emergence, unimaginable two months ago, is quite the boon for the Mavs.

I agree with you, he had a rough start to the season though. Injury stuff and Kidd jerking him around did no favors. Should have been starting all along.
[-] The following 2 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Smitty
Like Reply
Let's not jinx the guy. He has up-and-down games.

Having said that, it's beginning to feel as if a down game is more of a temporary thing rather than a seasonal funk. It feels a little different.
Like Reply
Luka was clearly the best and had a low key great game. But I gave it to Josh on a curve.
Like Reply
Also, low-key great news that Josh is hitting his free throws consistently again. Hit a couple timely 3’s (one was a 4 point play?) again too.
Like Reply
I decided to go with Maxi.

His scoring has come back to what we're used to seeing out of him, but his defensive presence is stifling. I saw a tweet calling him the Wurzburg Wall and it's fitting. His ability to move his feet on the perimeter but being big enough to suffocate bigger guys on drives is what makes him one of our most valuable guys.

It's apparent just how bad we missed him. His first couple of weeks back made me lose hope. Just got to keep him healthy.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 01:19 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I decided to go with Maxi.

His scoring has come back to what we're used to seeing out of him, but his defensive presence is stifling. I saw a tweet calling him the Wurzburg Wall and it's fitting. His ability to move his feet on the perimeter but being big enough to suffocate bigger guys on drives is what makes him one of our most valuable guys.

It's apparent just how bad we missed him. His first couple of weeks back made me lose hope. Just got to keep him healthy.
Another good reason for the trades, somewhat counterintuitively. We won’t have to overplay Maxi major minutes and save him some wear and tear so that he is ready to go for the playoffs. People were complaining about his contract before this recent stretch but all we really need is for him to be good Maxi for another season after this one and then he is an expiring contract to use in a trade. I think we can squeeze another year and a half out of him.
Like Reply
It’s cool seeing Maxi get sum luv. He’s such an unusual talent. Having him means we can play 5 out. Even if it’s only for a small portion of the game, that can be a total difference maker in the playoffs.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply