Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 49: Milwaukee Bucks (32-16) vs. Dallas Mavericks (26-22)
(02-03-2024, 11:14 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: It's just one game. Maybe he can build on it.

For sure. Hopefully he stays healthy
Like Reply
(02-03-2024, 11:13 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: It’s hard to walk back down that memory lane and be reminded again and again that they literally screwed it up in every single way it could be screwed up. 

It started with his rookie contract and the screw ups continued right up until he landed in NY.  Good for JB!  He is becoming a folk hero to Knicks fans.

Lakers stopped their 9 game streak. Brunson had 36 though.
Like Reply
At this point, I doubt they will ever figure it out. The team made the mistake of panicking immediately after drafting Luka and making the KP trade (followed by the obvious re-signing). They've been scrambling ever since and they're always going to be trying to dig themselves out of a hole.

When you draft a great player, it's okay to take a few years to figure out what kind of roster you'll need to build instead of immediately committing to an ill-fitting part just so you can say that you have a second star. Even if the Mavs missed the playoffs in Luka's first two years, that would have been fine as long as they had a better long-term plan with some flexibility. But there was front office turmoil so it was all a mess anyway from the start.

The ironic part is now this season they are going to miss the playoffs in 2 straight years anyway with far less hope and any roster flexibility. Luka will be better off asking for a trade. His Mavs career was doomed from the start.
Like Reply
Just confirming with Mavs fans:

Is Jason Kidd the coach because he's friendly with Luka and Kyrie? It's certainly not because of his coaching acumen. He's a bottom 5 head coach in the NBA.
Like Reply
What's lost in this loss is Dame went 10-11 from the field, 5-5 from 3, and 5-6 ft's for 30 pts to go with Giannis 48. I guess that's why they traded for him.
Like Reply
Grant.... Sheesh..... Yeah I think his time is done here.

This was one of the most horribly officiated games I've ever seen. No consistency on either side. 1 play super physical, the next play you can't breathe on a guy. MIL gets away with karate kicking Luka and it's ruled fine. Giannis literally tackles THJ and no call.

It's abhorrent and really frustrating because this was absolutely a winnable game that was thrown away due to lack of mental fortitude and shitty officiating.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, rocky164
Like Reply
Grant has been AWFUL. Just terrible last night. Let me just add a small thing though. Luka is giving the facial expressions and looking over at the bench that he did for McGee and Wood. He also does this to other players. He did it to Jalen. Maxi and Josh too. I understand the frustration. Lebron will do it at times. I feel like it is not good leadership though. The over the top reactions when players don't do the right thing is not a good look.
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, HoosierDaddyKidd, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Okstate819
Like Reply
A big Wow. 67% fG percentage for 3 quarters. We have seen quarters where teams shoot almost near perfect but this is 3 quarters. Again, there are bigger issues than lack of defensive talent.

https://x.com/iztok_franko/status/175414...59651?s=20

Dallas shot lights out, 9/14 from 3 and they played one of the better defensive quarters.

As shots stopped falling (and Giannis got in transition) defense collapsed.

Mavs allowed 109 points on 67% FG in next three
Like Reply
Mavs need better players.

If I am GM...I am not catering to Luka specific players. Its have well rounded bball skills or nothing.

I dont want a guy that cant do anything but shoot...just because he fits in the Luka system.

Give me guys that can dribble, pass, have good hands, decent defender, decent shot mechanics, decent feel for game.

I get that Luka can get guys open shots...they need to hit them. I get that Luka's system looks more polished in the Playoffs and I like it.

But this team needs consistent bball players with well rounded bball skills. Every other team has them...so no excuses.

Im out on my second star being a part time empoyee as well. Im all for load management for older stars...but our team needs guys on the floor.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 09:11 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: A big Wow.  67% fG percentage for 3 quarters.    We have seen quarters where teams shoot almost near perfect but this is 3 quarters.  Again, there are bigger issues than lack of defensive talent. 

https://x.com/iztok_franko/status/175414...59651?s=20

Dallas shot lights out, 9/14 from 3 and they played one of the better defensive quarters.

As shots stopped falling (and Giannis got in transition) defense collapsed.

Mavs allowed 109 points on 67% FG in next three

Yikes!  Thing is, I don't think they get this corrected this season. Getting more defensive minded players instead of offensive should be the focus. Dallas can out score teams when the shots are falling, but what happens when they stop? You have to have a semblance of a defense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 09:34 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Mavs need better players.

If I am GM...I am not catering to Luka specific players.  Its have well rounded bball skills or nothing.

I dont want a guy that cant do anything but shoot...just because he fits in the Luka system.

Give me guys that can dribble, pass, have good hands, decent defender, decent shot mechanics, decent feel for game.

I get that Luka can get guys open shots...they need to hit them.  I get that Luka's system looks more polished in the Playoffs and I like it.

But this team needs consistent bball players with well rounded bball skills.  Every other team has them...so no excuses.

Im out on my second star being a part time empoyee as well.  Im all for load management for older stars...but our team needs guys on the floor.

Im aware we have not played our 5 starters/best players together for more than a few minutes.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 09:34 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Mavs need better players.

If I am GM...I am not catering to Luka specific players.  Its have well rounded bball skills or nothing.

I get that Luka can get guys open shots...they need to hit them.  I get that Luka's system looks more polished in the Playoffs and I like it.

But this team needs consistent bball players with well rounded bball skills.  Every other team has them...so no excuses.

Im out on my second star being a part time empoyee as well.  Im all for load management for older stars...but our team needs guys on the floor.

I totally agree Mavs need better player. Well, one might be actually enough. 

Key question: do Mavs play "the Luka system" because he doesn't want to play anything else or because the roster quality doesn't allow them to play anything else? 

Wasn't Luka the one who pushed Mavs for another star and signed off Kyrie trade? We could also see him make many adjustments while Kyrie was healthy in the first part of the season.

Personal opinion: exactly why I was so much pro bringing in Siakam, despite his poor shooting that doesn't fit "the Luka system". He would give them an actual ability to play something else. Players like GW trying to play something else unfortunately usually ends in a disaster.
Like Reply
How was this not an offensive foul? Flagrant might be discussable, as first kick was above the waste. But it should be at least an offensive foul

https://twitter.com/BiasedSlightly/statu...wcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 09:47 AM)omahen Wrote: I totally agree Mavs need better player. Well, one might be actually enough. 

Key question: do Mavs play "the Luka system" because he doesn't want to play anything else or because the roster quality doesn't allow them to play anything else? 

Wasn't Luka the one who pushed Mavs for another star and signed off Kyrie trade? We could also see him make many adjustments while Kyrie was healthy in the first part of the season.

Personal opinion: exactly why I was so much pro bringing in Siakam, despite his poor shooting that doesn't fit "the Luka system". He would give them an actual ability to play something else. Players like GW trying to play something else unfortunately usually ends in a disaster.

Im not well taken around here for my Luka takes.

Im Pro-Luka, btw.

Assuming this is real and the rumors were real...

Rick supposedly said or was rumored to not be creative enough to come up with a system better than Luka.

Kidd just said in a post presser "Luka is the system"

I get those could be just generalizations.

To answer your key question:  I dont know. 

Im over excuses though.

Luka seems like a good kid and loyal.   I would maybe speculate that Luka got attached to some players and the Org didnt want to move those players due to chemistry...even though the players had major flaws.   

Doe Doe is a perfect example.   I read Luka wants him back.  I know they are friends and Im sure Luka would love him back.  But...Doe Doe, and Im a big fan of the person, lacks skills.   Guy was good at defense and hustle and later on developed a good 3 shot...but he cant dribble or finish at the rim.   Cant pass or create.   Why would you bring him back?   Because he fits the Luka system? Nah. Too old and low skill.

Josh Green has demonstrated enough skill to be on the team...but it took 4 years.   But Dwight, Maxi, Dorian, WCS, THJ, and at one point Josh Green, all have major flaws yet got huge minutes.   

Now...Grant Williams seems to be trash with ball in his hands around the basket and cant finish 3ft shots.

I know I just mentioned a few guys that arent on the team anymore...but you get it.   Too many low skilled players.

I have said it before without much fan fare and I will say it again....drain the swamp of these players asap.   Except maybe Josh Green.  I dont trust THJ to continue playing like a team player like he has the past 2 weeks(how was he last night?)...So I would move him while his value is inflated.   

Mavs need better talent.   Better talent means more consistency.   Too many players with a 20 point night and then 5 games of 3 point nights.  Need more consistency.
[-] The following 2 users Like youzigizag's post:
  • BigDirk41, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 10:14 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Im not well taken around here for my Luka takes.

Im Pro-Luka, btw.

Assuming this is real and the rumors were real...

Rick supposedly said or was rumored to not be creative enough to come up with a system better than Luka.

Kidd just said in a post presser "Luka is the system"

I get those could be just generalizations.

To answer your key question:  I dont know. 

Im over excuses though.

Luka seems like a good kid and loyal.   I would maybe speculate that Luka got attached to some players and the Org didnt want to move those players due to chemistry...even though the players had major flaws.   

Doe Doe is a perfect example.   I read Luka wants him back.  I know they are friends and Im sure Luka would love him back.  But...Doe Doe, and Im a big fan of the person, lacks skills.   Guy was good at defense and hustle and later on developed a good 3 shot...but he cant dribble or finish at the rim.   Cant pass or create.   Why would you bring him back?   Because he fits the Luka system?  Nah.  Too old and low skill.

Josh Green has demonstrated enough skill to be on the team...but it took 4 years.   But Dwight, Maxi, Dorian, WCS, THJ, and at one point Josh Green, all have major flaws yet got huge minutes.   

Now...Grant Williams seems to be trash with ball in his hands around the basket and cant finish 3ft shots.

I know I just mentioned a few guys that arent on the team anymore...but you get it.   Too many low skilled players.

I have said it before without much fan fare and I will say it again....drain the swamp of these players asap.   Except maybe Josh Green.  I dont trust THJ to continue playing like a team player like he has the past 2 weeks(how was he last night?)...So I would move him while his value is inflated.   

Mavs need better talent.   Better talent means more consistency.   Too many players with a 20 point night and then 5 games of 3 point nights.  Need more consistency.

I think Luka buddies thing is more of a media thing than any consequence of Luka demands. Mejri, Boban, Campazzo were certainly his friends and Mavs traded or released all of them. Last two guys in a "towel waiver" mode were Pinson and now Morris. I doubt Luka is a huge buddy with any of them (not trying to say he doesn't like them, he just doesn't have any real history with them). 

Mavs let Kokoskov go and Luka is certainly good friends with him.

Brunson and DFS were both reportedly very good with Luka and Mavs screwed up Brunson situation and traded DFS. I doubt we can read "Luka wants him back". I think it is more Luka would be happy he is back (because they are friends), but he is not dictating this is necessarily what they have to do.

I perfectly agree that DFS is not what Mavs need.

THJ was just like whole team yesterday. Hot in the first half and more or less dissapeared in the second one.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 10:33 AM)omahen Wrote: I think Luka buddies thing is more of a media thing than any consequence of Luka demands. Mejri, Boban, Campazzo were certainly his friends and Mavs traded or released all of them. Last two guys in a "towel waiver" mode were Pinson and now Morris. I doubt Luka is a huge buddy with any of them (not trying to say he doesn't like them, he just doesn't have any real history with them). 

Mavs let Kokoskov go and Luka is certainly good friends with him.

Brunson and DFS were both reportedly very good with Luka and Mavs screwed up Brunson situation and traded DFS. I doubt we can read "Luka wants him back". I think it is more Luka would be happy he is back (because they are friends), but he is not dictating this is necessarily what they have to do.

I perfectly agree that DFS is not what Mavs need.

THJ was just like whole team yesterday. Hot in the first half and more or less dissapeared in the second one.

I think Im ready to put Dennis Lindsey on helm full time if not already.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
I think the officials who called the A&M vs Florida game called our game tonight

Terrible crew
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 09:35 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Yikes!  Thing is, I don't think they get this corrected this season. Getting more defensive minded players instead of offensive should be the focus. Dallas can out score teams when the shots are falling, but what happens when they stop? You have to have a semblance of a defense.

I think our biggest issue as a team is that several of the 3 and D role players we have in our rotation are actually below-average to poor defensive players.  Grant Williams was supposed to be a plus defender but has been a liability on defense.  Signing a 6'5" guy with limited lateral agility to be our starting PF was not a winning move.

I was a huge Josh Green proponent this offseason and expected he would become our 3rd-best player this season.  His offense is improving but he still doesn't know what the hell to do on defense most of the time.  Lots of wasted energy and poor decisions.  I'm not clear if it's just poor coaching or if Josh is just a low-IQ player.  I hope he improves with a new coach next season.  

I think Kleber is done.  It's great that he hit some shots last night but he's been bad since his return.  His EPM is  -6.6 in his minutes this season.  That's one of the worst in the NBA especially for a non-rookie.  I understand EPM has limitations in low minutes but it's a good demonstration of what's happened when he's on the court.  Not much good has happened for us since he returned.  

I think our core 3 of Luka, Kyrie and Lively is really good if all 3 are available.  Unfortunately, when we're missing two of those guys, we're not gonna win many games.  Our best opportunity to improve is to upgrade our role players.  I would be frustrated if I were Luka as well because he carried the team last night.
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 09:58 AM)omahen Wrote: How was this not an offensive foul? Flagrant might be discussable, as first kick was above the waste. But it should be at least an offensive foul

https://twitter.com/BiasedSlightly/statu...wcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

It's not like there was crowd of players in the paint either who were preventing the officials from seeing this.  Apparently, Giannis is allowed to kick Luka.  I wish the NBA would just acknowledge the policy that it's Ok to assault certain NBA stars like Luka, Sabonis and Zion Williamson.  It's not Ok to touch Embiid, Trae Young, Lebron or Devin Booker.  We see the policy play out.  Just make it official.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 11:07 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I think our biggest issue as a team is that several of the 3 and D role players we have in our rotation are actually below-average to poor defensive players.  Grant Williams was supposed to be a plus defender but has been a liability on defense.  Signing a 6'5" guy with limited lateral agility to be our starting PF was not a winning move.

I was a huge Josh Green proponent this offseason and expected he would become our 3rd-best player this season.  His offense is improving but he still doesn't know what the hell to do on defense most of the time.  Lots of wasted energy and poor decisions.  I'm not clear if it's just poor coaching or if Josh is just a low-IQ player.  I hope he improves with a new coach next season.  

I think Kleber is done.  It's great that he hit some shots last night but he's been bad since his return.  His EPM is  -6.6 in his minutes this season.  That's one of the worst in the NBA especially for a non-rookie.  I understand EPM has limitations in low minutes but it's a good demonstration of what's happened when he's on the court.  Not much good has happened for us since he returned.  

I think our core 3 of Luka, Kyrie and Lively is really good if all 3 are available.  Unfortunately, when we're missing two of those guys, we're not gonna win many games.  Our best opportunity to improve is to upgrade our role players.  I would be frustrated if I were Luka as well because he carried the team last night.

Josh Green...

I thought someone on here broke down tape like a month ago about our bad defense...and the commentary was that Josh was doing the right thing but it was someone else making mistakes and Josh having to help cover for them.   Same breakdown suggested that one of the major defensive scheme flaws we have is using Green to basically run all over the place...as if he is the one they are relying on to rotate and save the defense.  I dont know how true that is.   We get abused in the paint which isnt Josh.

I do agree though...he seems to waste a lot of energy.   I have commented before that unless he learns to slow down and conserve energy and use it wisely...he wont be able to be effective for more than 25 minutes a game.    He is so disruptive with fresh legs, though.
Like Reply