Poll: Will the Mavs make a trade before the deadline?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
65.52%
19 65.52%
No
34.48%
10 34.48%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the Mavs make a trade before the deadline?
(01-30-2024, 02:02 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: PJ is the guy I want too. He can be our New (and improved) Maxi. He has positional versatility on both ends and can both space the floor next to Lively or be the small ball 5 if we want to go 5-out, which we will NEED to be able to do in the playoffs. I even think he fits in a future context next to Omax and Lively. He fits our “two timelines.” 

PJ is just a much more skilled player off the bounce or even as a passer when compared with G-Will, DJJ or Maxi. I think he would unlock all types of lineup combinations the work well together on offense AND defense. He’s on a very fair contract. Career wise a good 3 point shooter with a nice stroke. Not worried about %’s this year. I would trade the 2027 for him with the right protections. Assuming this deal would involve Holmes and a small contract like Seth going out, we hang onto THJ for spacing and a bigger summer deal. Lively, PJ, Luka, Green, Irving, Exum, Hardaway, GWill and a mothballed Maxi, DJJ and Hardy for spark or matchups is our 2024 playoff rotation. DJJ is the odd man out in this equation. Prefer Grant Williams spacing and physicality for the playoffs.

I don't really see PJ as an improved Maxi.  He is the better player, but other than defensive versatility they don't have that much in common.  PJ is a way better offensive player, but there is not much evidence that he can play near healthy Maxi level defense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 05:57 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't really see PJ as an improved Maxi.  He is the better player, but other than defensive versatility they don't have that much in common.  PJ is a way better offensive player, but there is not much evidence that he can play near healthy Maxi level defense.

They’re both able to play 4 and small ball 5. Both can switch onto smaller or bigger players and not get killed. Both can shoot the 3 at a level the defense has to respect. Maxi is probably a better weak side rim protector. PJ is a far superior all around offensive player who can put the ball on the floor, pass and finish.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
Neither PJ or Maxi are really that good. But PJ is younger and more athletic. The Mavs will probably make a trade. Too much smoke.
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 01:16 PM)omahen Wrote: I think no, other than perhaps something really small.

This ^
Like Reply
We have to make a trade, because we are too small. You can not play GW at PF for long stretches, nor DJJ. Maxi is our only hope, but he looks lost out there, so far and even if he turns the corner, his health is always at risk. I don't mind giving up our first for a starting PF. We need to win at least one playoff series to keep Luka happy and this is what matters most. This team plus a starting PF plus development of Lively and some small improvements here and there will be a contender next year.

EDIT: Oh, but I don't think anything will happen, sadly.
Like Reply
Will the Mavs make a trade before this TDL? Yes. After reading Dan's post, I think they will be making a trade this season to help cut cost for next season.

I like Holmes + SRP for Olynyk. But it might take both SRP's for dealing with Ainge. Mavs save $12.8 mil next season. Or resign for less next summer.

Hardaway for Hield. Would Rick like to have THJ playing with him again? Mavs save $16.1 mil next season. Should give us the full MLE next season and we will also have the BAE.
Like Reply
(01-31-2024, 03:20 PM)chaparral Wrote: Will the Mavs make a trade before this TDL?  Yes.  After reading Dan's post, I think they will be making a trade this season to help cut cost for next season.

I like Holmes + SRP for Olynyk.  But it might take both SRP's for dealing with Ainge.  Mavs save $12.8 mil next season.  Or resign for less next summer. 

Hardaway for Hield.  Would Rick like to have THJ playing with him again?  Mavs save $16.1 mil next season.  Should give us the full MLE next season and we will also have the BAE.

The problem is I don't think the other team does either of those deals.  You are giving up the worse player and the longer contract.  I don't think that is worth a second or two to another team.  It will be easier to trade contracts like that in the offseason when they will be effectively expiring, especially Holmes.
Like Reply
I want to say no, but there are years I've said that before and we'll make a meaningless minor one just to make one, so probably more likely than not there will be something. Probably small, though
Like Reply
Hopefully they are shopping THJ and Green as both have played pretty well recently and might attract some interest. If there's any decent forward 6'7" or taller with some length then you have to do it. This team just won't succeed long-term with all of these 6'5" and shorter guards...on top of having an undersized forward like GW too. You have to start selling now!
Like Reply
Green is not untouchable, but I want a pretty damn good player for him. He’s really coming along. His passing, when he doesn’t leave his feet, is starting to get in the really good category
[-] The following 3 users Like GATA's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Bleacher (Zach Buckley) is convinced Mavs will definitely make a move for a starting PF. One week left!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1010...redictions
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 09:33 AM)omahen Wrote: Bleacher (Zach Buckley) is convinced Mavs will definitely make a move for a starting PF. One week left!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1010...redictions

That’s a really good assessment of where we are and the opportunity that lies ahead of us with the right guy.

Writers often bring up the Poison Pill issue and while it has traditionally been the case that PP’s were hard to trade (last PP that has been traded was Devin Harris), it just isn’t that hard any more with a $7.5mm trade spread.

Personally, I hope Josh isn’t in any deal.  I really like him as a 5th starter.  He and Lively just make sense next to three guys who can all create offense.  Just thought I’d point out the one issue I had with the article because I see it fairly often and it just isn’t a big deal any more.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
Please be Washington for relatively cheap.

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=6c09b952skyhm9hrxpi3j4xigqp...w.gif&ct=g]
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 04:49 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Just looked at the standings. We have a little cushion over the current 9 seeds. So maybe not that desperate

Currently they have a 2-3 game lead and that's not considered a cushion, at least to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Kinda fun to read through these posts and see who got it wrong, and right.
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • fifteenth, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 10:52 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Kinda fun to read through these posts and see who got it wrong, and right.

I ranted all offseason in 2010 about how it was time to start over. I advocated getting rid of everyone except Dirk and Roddy B. 

Blush
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 12:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Please be Washington for relatively cheap.

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=6c09b952skyhm9hrxpi3j4xigqp...w.gif&ct=g]

Hey, I forgot to quote this post in celebration!!!!
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MFFL, Smitty
Like Reply
(01-31-2024, 01:54 AM)F Gump Wrote: " I think no, other than perhaps something really small."

This ^

Really bad guess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-11-2024, 06:08 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hey, I forgot to quote this post in celebration!!!!

You and I will always have a bond for our love of Brunson and wanting to trade for PJ.
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 05:57 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't really see PJ as an improved Maxi.  He is the better player, but other than defensive versatility they don't have that much in common.  PJ is a way better offensive player, but there is not much evidence that he can play near healthy Maxi level defense.

Looks like I was off on my PJ defense assessment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply