Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 44: Phoenix Suns (25-18) vs. Dallas Mavericks (24-19)
(01-26-2024, 09:54 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Looking back on these bad losses…..a common theme I’ve noticed is when our shots stop falling we stop playing defense. Even just one quarter of that type of quit will lose us a game.

Kidd after the game saying “we’re looking for a leader on defense” hinting that that player is not on the team

I wonder what this team would look like with Dorian back. I’m having trouble coming up with another player or coach we could get that everyone(including and especially Luka) would respect

Yeah, that has been pretty consistent the last few years.    It is really frustrating.   Teams make runs.  It happens.  But for Dallas is seems much quicker.   Dallas gets stuck or tired and takes bad (I think bad) early shots typically from three.  Long rebound that will a lot of times lead to a open shot or shot at the rim.  3 possessions down and Dallas has 3 misses and the other team has 8 points.   This happens often.  It happens to every team, but it seems like Dallas gets in a rut where they lose focus and take bad shots and then give up easy baskets or lazy fouls.    

Lets not even discuss the full quarters where they allow at times almost perfect shooting from another team.   That cannot happen. Where is the pride?

Lastly, with all the disgust of the Mavs, let me add that I thought the Suns were great.   Withstood the onslaught and they slowly dismantled Dallas.   I still think they are one really good glue person away.  Their injury history is also very concerning, but having KD take pride on defense and be a real factor is impressive.  Question is can he do this for the rest of the year and a playoff run?   The ball was moving for them and it felt much less like the your turn, my turn offense that Dallas falls back on.
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 09:54 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: I wonder what this team would look like with Dorian back. I’m having trouble coming up with another player or coach we could get that everyone(including and especially Luka) would respect

Dorian was with Mavs last season and he wasn't able to command the defense. There was no one even trying to lift the team, everyone just watching Luka. If he played, they followed. The closest to it was Kyrie in a couple of games this season after he returned from injury. Not a great defender, but one could feel he was trying hard to lift the team energy with his energy.

Without doing a very deep dive, I remember following guys that have the capacity of being a true floor general with their energy and respect:
- Draymond (not interested anymore)
- Smart
- Brooks. I think Memphis did a huge mistake making him the scapegoat, while Ja and his problems were far more problematic for them. 

Any other examples?
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 11:19 AM)omahen Wrote: Cato first one with detailed description of the incident. The fan wasn't actually thrown out of the game...

Luka Dončić’s frustration spills over in blowout loss to Suns – and could reveal even more - The Athletic

Luka PR team working hard. He was thrown out of the arena. 

https://arizonasports.com/story/3541957/...m-ejected/
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 09:54 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Looking back on these bad losses…..a common theme I’ve noticed is when our shots stop falling we stop playing defense. Even just one quarter of that type of quit will lose us a game.

Kidd after the game saying “we’re looking for a leader on defense” hinting that that player is not on the team

I wonder what this team would look like with Dorian back. I’m having trouble coming up with another player or coach we could get that everyone(including and especially Luka) would respect

This seems so true even if I dont have stats to back it up.   

This is why...drum roll...I have been to biggest hater of Luka step back 3s and Tim Hardaway on court behavior when the ball is passed to him.

If Luka is taking too many bad shots that arent falling and Tim is cold...I think guys check out quicker because its less stimulating to play that style.

Sure...you can bring up that they are paid very well and should be professionals and not check out...and I cant argue with that.   But psychology is supposedly a thing...and in my opinion it would be easier to check out when the team is not scoring...but mostly when Luka and Tim are taking bad shots that arent falling.

I guess some could argue that no one else is capable of scoring.   I will reply back that Luka could take a better shot instead of a step back 3 and Tim could move ball around more instead of taking a shot without passing with 20 seconds still left on the shot clock.

And to tie all this together....this is why a lot of posters here and on discord seem to like the Kyrie games when Luka sits....there is a way different energy.   The team moves the ball and we get transition buckets.    Seems like the team plays harder.

I love Luka...best offensive player ever easily.   He has taken less step backs that 2 years ago.   He's cleaned it up some.   He's never going to be a transition player...and thats fine.    Tim...just wish he could control himself when he gets the ball.   Or the coaches force him to by benching him for bad shots.    Tim is an incredible shooter...but you cant play ball like he plays...too high of volume and it could possibly cause guys to check out on defense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply