Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heat trading Kyle Lowry to Hornets for Terry Rozier and 27 1st
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3936...lowry-pick
Like Reply
Surprised Miami paid a single first for Roizer when they probably could've gotten Murray for 2 1sts.

He's having a great year though. Curious where Lowry ends up.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Not a bad move for Miami. Rozier can fill it up.

I'm just used to big swings by Miami. I wonder if they do something else.

Do they even have a point guard on their roster? I guess you could say Herro, but i wonder if they look to make more moves.

Not even sure what assets they have left besides Jovic.
Like Reply
(01-23-2024, 02:21 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Not a bad move for Miami. Rozier can fill it up.

I'm just used to big swings by Miami. I wonder if they do something else.

Do they even have a point guard on their roster? I guess you could say Herro, but i wonder if they look to make more moves.

Not even sure what assets they have left besides Jovic.

They can trade also another FRP. And Herro, of course
Like Reply
(01-23-2024, 02:36 PM)omahen Wrote: They can trade also another FRP. And Herro, of course

Would you do Herro and 2 FRP for Luka Smile? I think that is the only way to get rid of Cuban and Kidd.
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 01:08 AM)BobyM Wrote: Would you do Herro and 2 FRP for Luka Smile? I think that is the only way to get rid of Cuban and Kidd.

I'm one of the few that would be willing to look at Luka trades in the next few years if thing starts to sink.

But i wouldnt trade Luka for Herro and 20 FRP.

In all reality, Luka at his age is almost priceless.  There may not be an offer that would actually make sense for any team.  

OKC is the only one. They have a million picks, and they're hoarding them for that one "Godfather" offer.   Even with all of their picks, they would still have to give us Shai, Chet, Wallace, etc.  Basically their whole franchise.
Like Reply
(01-23-2024, 01:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Surprised Miami paid a single first for Roizer when they probably could've gotten Murray for 2 1sts.

He's having a great year though. Curious where Lowry ends up.

I think I read they they considered Murray but the price was too big.  So instead of waiting or giving up the asking price they moved to Rozier.    

I think it is a good move.   Not sure what the deal is for Lowry.   I guess he hasn't been playing well, but did play in the playoffs last year.  I think he is a good buyout candidate for some contender.
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 08:56 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think I read they they considered Murray but the price was too big.  So instead of waiting or giving up the asking price they moved to Rozier.    

I think it is a good move.   Not sure what the deal is for Lowry.   I guess he hasn't been playing well, but did play in the playoffs last year.  I think he is a good buyout candidate for some contender.

Seems like Miami lowered their payroll THIS YEAR with this deal. I think that might have been just as much "the point" as acquiring the upgraded player. That's probably the answer to any type of "why this deal" questions.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 09:19 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Seems like Miami lowered their payroll THIS YEAR with this deal. I think that might have been just as much "the point" as acquiring the upgraded player. That's probably the answer to any type of "why this deal" questions.

The lowering of payroll seems to be a motivating factor. Does this drop them below the apron where they could now also be players for guys on buy-outs?
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 08:56 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think I read they they considered Murray but the price was too big.  So instead of waiting or giving up the asking price they moved to Rozier.    

Lowry has had a pretty horrible season. Like a last-year-Reggie Bullock-esque type of season.

His impact numbers aren't bad. Honestly he'd fit in well here as the lead guard off the bench to run the show.

Does CHA want to gift us PJ and throw in Lowry as a buyout candidate?  Big Grin

(01-24-2024, 10:10 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: The lowering of payroll seems to be a motivating factor. Does this drop them below the apron where they could now also be players for guys on buy-outs?

No they are still above the 1st Apron (Limit set at 172.3 mil for roster salary). Miami is at 175.

They can sign anyone that made less than the MLE (12.2) as a buyout candidate. But guys like Hayward or Lowry don't qualify.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
A couple of other notes about this deal...

Miami was in a similar position to Dallas in that they have a 2025 pick that's not under their control and could go big game hunting this summer with a 27/29/31 package.  They chose to give up 2027, but its more interesting than that.  2027 is lottery protected and if it doesn't convey then it is unprotected in 2028.  So, Miami's 2029 pick is also off the table and 2030 is the only pick they can trade until the summer of 2025...for Terry Rozier (and getting under the 2nd Apron).

There is another interesting angle here.  Miami has a similar situation with OKC on their 2025 pick.  It is lottery protected in 2025 and unprotected in 2026.  So, there are two ways the 2027 might not convey to Charlotte.  It might not convey because 2025 didn't convey to OKC until 2026 (meaning the 2027 pick to Charlotte is conditional).  And, it might not convey if Miami is a lottery team in 2027.  If either happens, Charlotte gets an unprotected 2028.  Did I mention that Butler is 34 years old?

Miami doesn't have second round picks after 2026, so they couldn't back up the Charlotte trade with 2nds like often happens.  They are really betting a lot on the current window and closed down a good bit of their ability to go big game hunting.  Rozier is a good fit, but this was costly in terms of roster building options.  

Bringing this back to Dallas, the equivalent would be trading 2026 conditional on 2024 conveying to NY.  If 2024 doesn't convey, 2027 becomes unprotected.  Like with Miami, it would cut down the number of tradeable picks we have this summer.  I suspect people here would go nuts if that happened over someone equivalent to Terry Rozier.  The smarter play would be to back up the 2027 first with the 2028 second if the 2027 first doesn't convey (which is probably why we got it).  Backing a future pick (conditional in 26 or going straight to 2027) with a second in 2028 probably makes our pick less valuable than Miami's (and less risky).   To make it of similar value to Miami's pick, you probably have to lighten the protections.  So, if we do something with 2027 before the TDL (or 26 conditionally), I suspect it won't be Lottery Protected, but something less and backed up by the 2028 2nd.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Amazing stuff as usual Dan! I actually thought as far as the trade goes Charlotte, being in the same division and saving Miami that much money could’ve have made them pay more. We traded on draft night for two years of washed Holmes at, what, 11m per and we got the 25th pick. Charlotte gave up a player having career year averaging 23ppg and 6 assists on good efficiency AND saved Miami 15m in luxury tax and got them below tha second apron. Rozier is overpaid for a few years after this but Charlotte has a salary floor they have to hit anyway. And Rozier isn’t grossly overpaid. He’s a better player than THJ, for instance.

That said, the pick could wind up being really juicy if it winds up 2028. It could also just be pick #23 in 2027 or something if Miami can land another disgruntled star.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply