Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cowboys disappoint again...
Cowboys got a thrashing by the GB Packers, 48-32. The media hypes them every year, and they always come up short. I expect McCarthy to be dismissed.
Like Reply
This one was bewildering. I thought the season was great, and while I wouldn't have expected them to beat the 49ers, I thought the team was legitimately good and I expected 1-2 easy playoff wins. Maybe the problem was that they did, too. Not sure.

Quinn is probably gone (unless teams lose interest after this defensive performance, and I'm only half joking). So, that's the end of a defensive era/identity. No idea what comes next.

I actually think McCarthy has been good for the team, overall, but public outcry to remove him is going to be huge.

Dak is up for that big extension this off-season. I have been a hater in the past, but actually enjoyed his season. I felt he had turned a corner, and was becoming a believer. But now this...I honestly don't think you can extend him for the kind of money being discussed. Just knowing this type of performance from him is possible fills me with doubt about whether he can get it done.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, Chicagojk, mvossman, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I have become numb to it. Just waiting for the other shoe to drop. They got me this year though. I did not see them making it to the super bowl but home field for at least two games where they have been great, made me believe that they would make their deepest run since '96. I knew right away they fooled me again when Green Bay went down on the first possession and scored a TD.

Great frontrunning team, but him them in the mouth (in a big game) and they are done right there. After that, a few interceptions and terrible defense just made an eventual loss into an embarrassing one. Why did they try to get the run game going early, that hasn't been their plan for most of the year? Why did they switch to mostly zone defense after being man to man for most of the year?

I am sure there will be some changes, but as the last 20 plus years have shown us, don't expect it to work when it matters.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft, OBX Maverick
Like Reply
(01-15-2024, 09:18 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Why did they try to get the run game going early, that hasn't been their plan for most of the year?  Why did they switch to mostly zone defense after being man to man for most of the year?

These are excellent questions. 

The defense was exceptional this year...when they were playing with a lead. It was designed to be all pass rush and cover, it isn't nearly as effective when having to withstand a balanced attack for more than a couple of series. I totally agree - trying to run the ball down 7-0 was the surest way to give the Packers a chance to win the game.
Like Reply
[Image: 418489093_10228649636539636_111524959237...e=65AA61FC]
[-] The following 7 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BoredAssistant, chaparral, dirkfansince1998, Jmaciscool, khaled1987, KillerLeft, LifeAquatic
Like Reply
I wish I could say I'm surprised by the Cowboys, but sadly I'm not.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
The Cowboys need a new owner/coach as well as the Mavs. Oh, wait. Mavs got a new owner, and they kept the old ones in charge.

I wonder which franchise is in worst shape.
Like Reply
I don't watch football much anymore although you can't help but get it both barrels if you live in Dallas.

I've seen enough to know McCarthy can't possibly survive this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-15-2024, 12:44 PM)Winter Wrote: I've seen enough to know McCarthy can't possibly survive this.

I'm not so sure. Jones seems to really like him, and lord knows it took way too long to get rid of Jason Garett. Imo, McCarthy has demonstrated way more craft and competency than Garett ever did. 

I think from Jones' perspective, he's such an abnormal owner that half the battle is to find a good coach willing to put up with this circus. Once he has one, I can understand why he'd be reluctant to make a change.

Then again, to your point, people are pissed. A coach firing is the easiest pound of flesh to offer up, no doubt.
Like Reply
(01-15-2024, 01:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm not so sure. Jones seems to really like him, and lord knows it took way too long to get rid of Jason Garett. Imo, McCarthy has demonstrated way more craft and competency than Garett ever did. 

I think from Jones' perspective, he's such an abnormal owner that half the battle is to find a good coach willing to put up with this circus. Once he has one, I can understand why he'd be reluctant to make a change.

Then again, to your point, people are pissed. A coach firing is the easiest pound of flesh to offer up, no doubt.

Well that's the thing. McCarthy would have to live with another season of getting beat up by the media as well as fans. They're not forgetting this. Every press conference he will get incoming. Even if no one says it, he's going to feel it. 

If McCarthy had the resilience of Wade Phillips, maybe I could see it. But he looks like a heart attack waiting to happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
The Cowboys easily have the 2nd best roster in the NFL and have competent coaching yet the best they can do is win 1 playoff game over three years with roughly this situation. It’s hard to win in pro sports. You have to go all in when you have the chance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
No matter how much things change, the game of football is won in the trenches.

Could not stop the run. No running game of our own. Could not get to the other team’s QB.

I am not a huge Dak fan because he struggles to put balls in tight windows and playoffs always come to that. The reality though is that there will be at least 15 teams who will snap him up at 40 mill. He is still a solid qb even if he won’t take you over the top and you will realize how difficult it is to even get a solid qb once he is gone. You can’t have him at $60mill. I would be ok with giving him a 3 year 120 to 130 extension because the alternatives are worse.

We need to address the run first and foremost. Both defense and offense. Micah was also a total disappointment.
Like Reply
Time for the Boys to mortgage the future, go get Tyreke for 12 FRP ala the NBA special
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-15-2024, 08:18 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: No matter how much things change, the game of football is won in the trenches.

Could not stop the run.  No running game of our own.  Could not get to the other team’s QB.

I am not a huge Dak fan because he struggles to put balls in tight windows and playoffs always come to that. The reality though is that there will be at least 15 teams who will snap him up at 40 mill. He is still a solid qb even if he won’t take you over the top and you will realize how difficult it is to even get a solid qb once he is gone. You can’t have him at $60mill. I would be ok with giving him a 3 year 120 to 130 extension because the alternatives are worse.

We need to address the run first and foremost. Both defense and offense.  Micah was also a total disappointment.

Cowboys are front runners. When they play with a lead, they can unleash that pass rush.  They're not particularly a come from behind team in part because they don't run the ball well. Micah Parsons and DeMarcus Lawrence talked a bunch of crap, and didn't show up. Dan Quinn might get passed over for a HC job, behind that horrible defensive performance. The refs stole that game from Detroit who had them beat.
Like Reply
It all goes back to the curse of Jerry and the Jones family ownership. They are the Al Davis' of the league now and have been for years. Even though they've drafted better the last few years, they are still run like a marketing and branding organization rather than a serious football club.

Cowboys are all about show horses and no work horses. They don't have focus and real discipline and that comes from the odd structure due to having to include Jerry so that he gets his credit and can feel like a "football man." Been like this since Jimmy was let go. I made peace with that dynamic years ago, so I stopped caring if the Cowboys win or lose. Haven't been emotionally invested in them for about 15 years now.
[-] The following 2 users Like LifeAquatic's post:
  • chaparral, MFFL
Like Reply
Dak Prescott is like the Fred VanVleet of quarterbacks, haha! Tubby mediocre stat padders who can't run an offense. I have no idea how each got paid what they did. Something, something, top leader, blah, blah, great community guy.

The Cowboys need to do whatever it takes to get Trevor Lawrence away from the Jags. #PipeDream
Like Reply
(01-16-2024, 03:40 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: Dak Prescott is like the Fred VanVleet of quarterbacks, haha! Tubby mediocre stat padders who can't run an offense. I have no idea how each got paid what they did. Something, something, top leader, blah, blah, great community guy.

The Cowboys need to do whatever it takes to get Trevor Lawrence away from the Jags. #PipeDream

Very strange comparison.  Fred has a ring and is a top 30 player.  Would have made a lot of sense on this team.
Like Reply
(01-15-2024, 09:18 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I have become numb to it.  Just waiting for the other shoe to drop.  They got me this year though.  I did not see them making it to the super bowl but home field for at least two games where they have been great, made me believe that they would make their deepest run since '96.  I knew right away they fooled me again when Green Bay went down on the first possession and scored a TD.

Great frontrunning team, but him them in the mouth (in a big game) and they are done right there.  After that, a few interceptions and terrible defense just made an eventual loss into an embarrassing one.  Why did they try to get the run game going early, that hasn't been their plan for most of the year?  Why did they switch to mostly zone defense after being man to man for most of the year?

I am sure there will be some changes, but as the last 20 plus years have shown us, don't expect it to work when it matters.

You described my feelings to a tee….numb. Here is how i approach the Cowboys these days: I follow the philosophy of my Cowboys fandom role model—-Peter LaFleur: “I choose to not set any goals. Because then, when I don’t achieve them I’m not disappointed. I gotta tell you it feels phenomenal” —Dodgeball the movie

As a Cowboys fan since 1977 I’ve seen a lot of highs and lows. Jerrah and clan essentially screwed away 20 years of Cowboys football from 1996-2015.  Luckily, since then, for the Cowboys, the Jones have demonstrated some constraint in free agency and Willy McClay emerged to engineer some really good drafts. However, the Cowboys continue to have a country club vibe in the locker room, and the team has had coaches who do not preach discipline. Thus, we are doomed to penalties, mistakes, and poor performance when it matters the most. Have seen it too many times, and it never changes. 

Therefore, while disappointed, I’m not surprised at what happened Sunday. I knew we had to exorcise some demons in beating the Pack who are now, I believe, 6-0 at ATT Stadium, and I was not getting my hopes up too high. So………. after another wasted season, I will approach 2024 the same way….without any expectations.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
Like Reply
(01-16-2024, 05:36 PM)mvossman Wrote: Very strange comparison.  Fred has a ring and is a top 30 player.  Would have made a lot of sense on this team.

FVV is a Top 30 player? Say what? Cry 

Maybe in the NCAA. He's probably among the worst starting Point Guards in the league, i.e., 25th-30th out of 30, among Point Guards only. Never mind being a Top 30 player in the league across all positions.

How would FVV have made a lot of sense on this team, especially at $40M per year? Where you going to hide Luka on defense? Behind FVV? That's a funny visual btw, Luka hiding behind FVV. Lol. Big Grin
Like Reply
McCarthy survives. I'm not surprised at all, tbh.
Like Reply