Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cowboys disappoint again...
(01-17-2024, 08:13 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: McCarthy survives. I'm not surprised at all, tbh.

Good regular season team. 12-5 for three consecutive seasons. On average better than the pre McCarthy seasons. Good all around team without special talent at key positions. They will hold on to Dak for as long as his body holds up. Might try to replace some of the offensive/defensive line guys that are due for a payday.  Win ~12 games again. Enough to sell tickets and merch. Not enough to build a real contender.
Like Reply
(01-17-2024, 08:13 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: McCarthy survives. I'm not surprised at all, tbh.

Jerrah is too old to want to start over. He is eternally optimistic that NEXT year will be our year.
Like Reply
(01-18-2024, 09:20 AM)MFFL Wrote: Jerrah is too old to want to start over. He is eternally optimistic that NEXT year will be our year.

Maybe that, but also it just means no other head coach looked like a promising candidate. I don't think anything will change this next season, but Jerry will have a year to review possible candidates.
Like Reply
(01-18-2024, 11:57 AM)Winter Wrote: Maybe that, but also it just means no other head coach looked like a promising candidate. I don't think anything will change this next season, but Jerry will have a year to review possible candidates.

Ok, but Vrabel, Belicek, Quinn and Carrol are free NOW. You think there will be better candidates next year?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(01-18-2024, 11:57 AM)Winter Wrote: Maybe that, but also it just means no other head coach looked like a promising candidate. I don't think anything will change this next season, but Jerry will have a year to review possible candidates.

No..there are lots of good candidates right now. However, none of them would serve as a puppet for Jerrah. We haven’t had an independent-minded, details-oriented, disciplinarian coach since Jimmy Johnson.  And please, don’t say Bill Parcells was one.  By the time he got to Dallas he had one foot out the door to retirement. Things will never change from a coaching standpoint until Jerrah is gone. Even if McCarthy was fired this week, I find it highly unlikely he woulda hired one of the top, desired candidates.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
Like Reply
Does anyone else think that Dak Prescott looks like Carlos Boozer and Fred VanVleet had a baby?

I can't be the only one. Tongue
Like Reply
I think I will continue my Cowboy fandom. I buy the NFL league pass and watch the games. But I have no grand expectations and expect the worse that will eventually come. I find that to be the best place for me.

So for next year, they need to fix the running game. Pollard, who was coming off a serious injury, was not the same player this year. Maybe the second year he will be better, but I don't want to pay him big money to find out. So he is probably gone. They need a big, downhill runner who gets those 4-7 yard carries more often. Pollard had the juice last season. This year he was not the same runner bursting through the line. Again, that injury needs to be factored in for his down year.

They need more bigger, physical lineman and linebacker. Mazi Smith was a bust. I read he lost 30 pounds this year. Being a big fat guy was one of his positives. Now he is a smaller guy who was pushed around. They need a big guy in the middle who will help their edge rushers. They also need at least one thumper at linebacker. I like fast linebackers but Dallas is not prepared to play against these physical running teams.

Add a downhill running back, a big fat guy and a linebacker thumper and I feel like this team can be a 12-5 team again and lose in the first round. See...no grand expectations.
Like Reply
(01-18-2024, 04:24 PM)OBX Maverick Wrote: No..there are lots of good candidates right now. However, none of them would serve as a puppet for Jerrah. We haven’t had an independent-minded, details-oriented, disciplinarian coach since Jimmy Johnson.  And please, don’t say Bill Parcells was one.  By the time he got to Dallas he had one foot out the door to retirement. Things will never change from a coaching standpoint until Jerrah is gone. Even if McCarthy was fired this week, I find it highly unlikely he woulda hired one of the top, desired candidates.

Agree with the sentiment, disagree about Parcells. He was all that and took a bereft Cowboys team back to relevance in the few short years he was here.  He built a fine team that was ready to become a great team, then Jerry made it impossible to coexist. Jerry is the problem. He’s not a good owner.
[-] The following 2 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • KillerLeft, LifeAquatic
Like Reply
(01-20-2024, 08:56 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Agree with the sentiment, disagree about Parcells. He was all that and took a bereft Cowboys team back to relevance in the few short years he was here.  He built a fine team that was ready to become a great team, then Jerry made it impossible to coexist. Jerry is the problem. He’s not a good owner.

I agree with both of you. 

I think Parcells did a close to amazing job during his time here, but I also agree with the former point that had he not had one foot in retirement he'd never have been attracted to, agreed to or even considered jumping through the hoops required to work here for the Jones family.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • LifeAquatic
Like Reply