Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: OG Anunoby, Achiuwa, Flynn to NYK| Barrett, Quickley, and 2024 2nd to TOR
Either OG is not thought of around the league as favorably as he's viewed here, or Toronto just blew it.
Like Reply
(12-30-2023, 01:41 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Is OG CAA?

This is why I said the Mav's would never trade for him.  Apparently no one else wanted to get "Brunsoned" either as the price is low.  

I'm not a fan of Barrett in Toronto (other than the Canada connection).  Toronto very much needs someone like Quickly though.  Achiuwa to NY is also a nice pickup in a position of need.  I like the NY side of this better than the Toronto side, but if they were going to lose OG for nothing this summer or if OG was going to force his way to NY, then this is better than waiting til the summer (and probably worse than dealing him a year ago).
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(12-30-2023, 02:27 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This is why I said the Mav's would never trade for him.  Apparently no one else wanted to get "Brunsoned" either as the price is low.  

I'm not a fan of Barrett in Toronto (other than the Canada connection).  Toronto very much needs someone like Quickly though.  Achiuwa to NY is also a nice pickup in a position of need.  I like the NY side of this better than the Toronto side, but if they were going to lose OG for nothing this summer or if OG was going to force his way to NY, then this is better than waiting til the summer (and probably worse than dealing him a year ago).

Should we hate CAA the way I used to hate Klutch?
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
Interesting enough most of the national writers think NY gave up a lot for OG. Personally, I really admire their patient approach in last three or so years. No more hunting stars because they are stars but patiently building what they think are the right pieces. Lets see if they succeed adding the final piece that is needed. A right star player.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Let´s not forget that Barrett has been the driving force behind the Canadian national team re-surgence. He got them all to commit. He´ll be a huge fan favourite in Toronto. I think that´s a good reasonable haul for an UFA. Decent deal for both sides.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41, omahen
Like Reply
Damn, Dolan sues the Raptors for stealing proprietary information when a staffer joined the team, now they make a major trade with them. You have to love the NBA!

(12-30-2023, 01:16 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Damn, since OG is clearly more valuable in terms of age and skillset than Siakam, Masa should have no problem with a THJ/Holmes/Green package for the latter. And a couple of seconds, of course.

He'd hang up the phone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(12-30-2023, 01:47 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Yes he is CAA, as is Donovan Mitchell. Which explains the low, low price. No team wanted to pay for him as a rental.

Masai waited too long. Again.

Damn. When are our Nike connections going to get us a good player? (Sarcasm)
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(12-30-2023, 02:33 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Let´s not forget that Barrett has been the driving force behind the Canadian national team re-surgence. He got them all to commit. He´ll be a huge fan favourite in Toronto. I think that´s a good reasonable haul for an UFA. Decent deal for both sides.

If you are a team without a good enough star and you don’t want to take time to rebuild through the draft…AND you believe Barrett has close to franchise player potential, then sure. It’s a great deal in the right light.

I’m just not a Barrett fan.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
I’m not a big RJ fan either. And now Toronto has to pay up for Quickley this summer too, right? He at least is RFA. 

Masai’s mistake is half-measures in the service of mediocrity. The trade for Thad Young. Hanging onto FVV too long. They probably could’ve gotten two firsts, a swap and a decent young player for OG a year ago.

Unless they really turn this season around SA is likely going to get Toronto’s top 6 protected pick from the horrible Poetl trade. Toronto also threw in two second round picks in that deal.

So they won’t be good enough to keep 2023 first round pick. But they will likely be too good to tank for the loaded 2025 draft. But not good enough to make noise in the playoffs, if they even make it. Not sure what the vision is exactly.
Like Reply
(12-30-2023, 01:41 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Is OG CAA?

Yaya Dubin (@JADubin5)
Don't think we really need to speculate on whether the Knicks know they can re-sign OG. His agent is the Knicks president's son. I'm pretty sure they know.

The Trade Deadline (@_TradeDeadline)
According to @JakeLFischer

OG Anunoby left agents "with the impression he would be willing to accept a smaller figure if he were to have landed in New York."

Source: https://sports.yahoo.com/what-the-og-anu...40377.html

[Fischer] Anunoby, after leaving Klutch Sports, sought a $40 million contract and met with various agencies for a bigger offensive role. He hinted at flexibility, willing to accept less money if traded to New York, eventually signing with CAA, linked to NYC leadership.

I am so tired of the Knicks blatantly tampering. Where is Stern when you need him? Dock NYK 10 FRP.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
Problem is, the league has a vested interest in the Knicks being good. It would be up to the other owners to make it enough of an issue. And even then, how do you stop the colluding/tampering? Leon Rose and his son probably talk every single day.
Like Reply
Assuming this gets completed today, I believe OG can be extended on June 30 following a six month wait and may never reach free agency. 

Agree Killer. Stars don’t need 15 shots to score 18 points and that is especially a problem in Toronto.  Quickley is the most important part of the Toronto side of this.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BigDirk41, HoosierDaddyKidd, Reunion Mav, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
That means Detroit might get a chance to end their 28-game losing streak tonight. Toronto is at Detroit and the players involved in the trade won't be available. Yippee!
Like Reply
(12-30-2023, 04:05 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Assuming this gets completed today, I believe OG can be extended on June 30 following a six month wait and may never reach free agency. 

Agree Killer. Stars don’t need 15 shots to score 18 points and that is especially a problem in Toronto.  Quickley is the most important part of the Toronto side of this.

Yeah, I mean if you think he is a starter, and they must, then that is a pretty big part of the deal, too.
Like Reply
I really like Precious in the draft. I had him right behind Maxey as my choice. He had some moments but really hasn't done much. Feels like a throw in. The Knicks will have him and Hartlestein (option) as FA this offseason. I think Hartlestein will be out of our price range. Precious will have a chance to prove he deserves a solid contract.
Like Reply
Actually, it was a good trade for both teams. QG is a plus defender who will help NY immediately. Quickley will get his chance to start I'm sure even though he's not a true PG. He's a much better player than Schroder. RJ will replace OG, and Achuiwa will be good insurance since Mitchell Robinson is gone for the season.
[-] The following 3 users Like HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
It is obvious Toronto doesn't want to do a rebuild. It could be Masai, but more logically it is the ownership. I don't think they see Barrett as a franchise cornerstone, that is Barnes. Barrett is a wing and you always need those. He is Canadian and a piece that make their fan base satisfied with the trade. Decent replacement for OG. There is also still room for improvement. As it was pointed out by several others, their prize is Quickley. NY didn't want to pay him starter level money to come from bench (star player they are still hunting is taking the starting spot), but Toronto can see a long-term PG solution and is prepared to pay him starter level money.

It was obvious Toronto missed their chance to really cash big on OG last season. I was saying ever since summer - OG and Siakam (as FA to be) dictate where they want to be, which limits their market and price. The connection between NY and CAA is surely a bit in a conflict of interests. But, at the end of the day it is the player that decides where he wants to be. Not because father is the GM and son is players agent, but because he sees that as best opportunity for himself.

Just to repeat once more - Mavs job is to convince a guy that he wants to be there as that last missing piece. From there on it is not that difficult to find a way. Top teams are always showing the path. Sure the job is more difficult for less glamorous cities compared to LA, Miami or NY. But, Milwaukee is a prime example of a (very) small market team being capable of convincing top guys (Jrue, Lillard) they want to be there.
Like Reply
(12-30-2023, 07:10 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Actually, it was a good trade for both teams. QG is a plus defender who will help NY immediately. Quickley will get his chance to start I'm sure even though he's not a true PG. He's a much better player than Schroder. RJ will replace OG, and Achuiwa will be good insurance since Mitchell Robinson is gone for the season.

This.  Quickley is one of the league's most underrated players.  He may not be quite at Anunoby's level but he's younger and will be a restricted free agent this summer so the Raptors don't have to worry about him leaving.

Barrett is a productive player who's still only 23.  If he can improve his efficiency somewhat, then he's a good starter.

The Raptors don't want to rebuild and think they can build a winner around Scottie Barnes.   They'd rather have Quickley than some late round draft picks.

The Knicks get bigger and consolidate their talent.  They're confident Anunoby will stay there.  Precious fills in as the backup center for the rest of the year.

Both teams win.
Like Reply
I dunno. Looks pretty one-sided from here.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
If Quickley is up to becoming their starting point guard, then they have effectively replaced VanVleet by moving a player they didn’t want to pay and were going to lose anyway. If Barrett is an instant rotation player who still has some upside they believe in, it gets a little better even.

It’s probably not as bad as I first thought when I reacted earlier.

And, for whatever reason, our board always forgets this, collectively, but those athletic, defensive types just aren’t ever as valuable as we think they are. The Nelsons didn’t really like players like that so the team we follow has a long history of not really having them, which I think causes us to covet them more than an average NBA fan would.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply