Poll: Who played above expectations?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
THJ (18pts, 7rbd, 2ast, 1stl, +10)
0%
0 0%
DJJ (23pts, 3rbd, 1ast, 1stl, +15)
6.90%
2 6.90%
D. Lively II (20pts, 10rbd, 1ast, +18)
0%
0 0%
Luka! (50pts!, 6rbd, 15ast, 4stl, 3blk, +16)
93.10%
27 93.10%
Dante Exum (7pts, 4rbd, 5ast, 1stl, +14)
0%
0 0%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 30 Dirkie Thread: Luka!
I really hate these games where everything goes right, yet the other team remains in striking distance.  The third quarter almost did the Mavs in.  Luckily Luka hitched up his big boy pants and brought the win home.  Yes...50 points, 14 assists, 4 steals, and 3 blocks.  Luka has earned my Dirkie.

Notable play by DJJ, and Lively. Exum remains important.

It seems the rest of the team were only place holders for the night.
[-] The following 2 users Like ballsrchr's post:
  • fifteenth, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
To me, the 3 blocks and 4 steals is more impressive than the 50 and 14. Luka all the way!
[-] The following 3 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • ballsrchr, fifteenth, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 01:24 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: To me, the 3 blocks and 4 steals is more impressive than the 50 and 14. Luka all the way!

Not to mention 12-12 on FT.  Arguably Luka’s best non-playoff game ever.  Give him the Dirkie
[-] The following 6 users Like rocky164's post:
  • ballsrchr, fifteenth, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, The Jom
Like Reply
playoff luka plus great defense
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jakeospikez's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Luka with a virtuoso performance. A masterpiece. Best I’ve ever seen him.
[-] The following 2 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I mentioned the Luka aura in the arena I felt last game. The Phoenix fans appear to experience it differently and way less pleasantly. His defense seems to have recently added being dangerous in the passing lanes. How lucky are we Mavs fans?!?
[-] The following 2 users Like Reunion Mav's post:
  • fifteenth, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 01:29 AM)rocky164 Wrote: Not to mention 12-12 on FT.

We aren’t talking about this enough. He is shooting FT’s soooo much better this year.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, Reunion Mav, The Jom
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 01:47 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I mentioned the Luka aura in the arena I felt last game. The Phoenix fans appear to experience it differently and way less pleasantly. His defense seems to have recently added being dangerous in the passing lanes. How lucky are we Mavs fans?!?

Extremely lucky. His performance was masterful. To me, he is the MVP this season. I’ve been watching basketball for like 46 years now and i find myself, on a nearly nightly basis, in absolute awe.
[-] The following 3 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • fifteenth, Reunion Mav, rocky164
Like Reply
Honestly what a game. The Mavs pretty thoroughly dismantled the Suns, and if it wasn't for a Greyson Allen uncharacteristic explosion from 3, this would've been a blowout.

The gameplan was smart and effective. They overloaded on Book and Durant, forced them to make a pass, and made literally anyone else beat them. The Suns role players got a lot of wide open looks that they didn't knock down. But the Mavs also forced so many turnovers doing this that it made the game easy.

THJ played some pretty heavy D on Booker and Durant. I actually thought he rotated well all game. I hate how in the 2nd quarter the offense seems to run through him regardless of who's on the court *cough* Kyrie, but he hit his shots so it's a moot point. Good game from Timmy. He played very well. Well enough for a Dirkie? That I wouldn't say.

DJJ showed some tremendous growth this game. He was tasked to guard Durant. He held his own and despite giving up a 3pt foul in the 3rd, he made sure every Durant look was hard. Kudos to DJJ. It was painfully obvious the Suns 2nd half adjustment was to make him beat them from 3. And that adjustment was working. He had 6 wide open threes he just couldn't convert well enough. I was screaming at Kidd to put Seth in to punish the Suns and it made me think that despite DJJ's improvements he's still a weakpoint. Then the 4th quarter happened. Dude attacked the rim like he was dying of thirst and that was a cold glass of water. He started to knock down those threes and punish the Suns and at that point it was goodnight. DJJ amazing game. 23 points on 50% shooting is incredible. I would give him the Dirkie if it wasn't for that turd of a 3rd quarter.

Now onto Lively. SHEEESH. WELCOME BACK! THANK YOU! WHAT A GAME YOUNG FELLA. The Mavs and Luka have really fallen in love with punishing the double with a Lively entry pass and the rookie just keeps delivering. He is such a force within 3 feet. His athleticism basically makes teams surrender an easy 2 if you double Luka and we saw what happens when you can't double Luka. He protected the rim well even if he doesn't have the blocks to show for it. 10 total rebounds including 3 offensive ones that contributed to 10 2nd chance points is incredible stuff. Pair it with a 20 point outing on 8-9 shooting and you got yourself a helluva game. He would 1000% be my Dirkie if it wasn't for....

Luka "50 burger" Doncic. One of the best games I've ever seen him play. He became Steph out there. He had some threes that really made me think he was like Steph how he relocated off of a pass only to catch a sleeping defender. When Luka is hitting his outside shot, he is the most unstoppable player in the league. This game just showed the load Luka carries is not for the faint of heart and really requires a certain level of talent. Booker is being asked to play a similar role that Luka does being the one to play PG and also be a primary scorer. Booker had 20pts and 10 asts on 43% shooting. Not bad. Luka though puts up 50/6/14 on 60% from the field. MY GOODNESS. I didn't even get to his 4 steals and 3 blocks. Luka Legend. Cool Hand Luka. HalleLuka. Whatever you want to call him, he had himself a game. Hands down dirkie material.

Exum had his first mediocre game in a while, and he still played so well. His hustle is a huge driving force for this team. We need more of that. He wasn't his best tonight, but it's clear he's a key part of this team.

Side note, Luka looks so incredibly gassed. He was huffing air at the end of the 3rd and most of the 4th. He still played remarkably well, but Kyrie can't come back soon enough to relieve some of this pressure.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 6 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, fifteenth, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, mvossman, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
A steal and 2 blocks away from a 50 point 5 x 5. Luka was hard on his son in Phoenix today and might file for adoption papers for KD too after this one
[-] The following 4 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • ballsrchr, fifteenth, MFFL, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Luka loves tormenting Booker
[-] The following 3 users Like MFFL's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, fifteenth, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 01:37 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Luka with a virtuoso performance. A masterpiece. Best I’ve ever seen him.

It brought a special joy to his heart to visit his other child.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Others have already pointed this out, but it's the thing that seems most notable to me, so I'll repeat it.

It appears that Luka has taken several leaps forward in maturity!

I know it takes time for players to experience what the league can throw at you, and then adjust. So, I'm not complaining that a 20, 21, 22, 23-year-old would need time to grow. But I've probably had some unreasonable expectations of Luka at times in past seasons (if that's possible). But now Luka is suddenly blowing past my expectations, and it's mainly because...

He seems to have figured out some very difficult things. He plays like he has solved the NBA Rubik's cube and is no longer able to be rattled. It looks like he's taken some very mature steps towards taking care of himself. The evidence says that he has worked really hard on improving his defense and on leading his teammates.

I thought his chess match with Lebron was his best game. This one may have been even better.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 7 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • ballsrchr, DanSchwartzgan, HIMAV, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Free throws and defense were his challenges. If those are solved, he will continue to make Booker look pedestrian and KD over the hill. Go Mavs!
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 02:45 PM)The Jom Wrote: Free throws and defense were his challenges. If those are solved, he will continue to make Booker look pedestrian and KD over the hill. Go Mavs!

...free throws, defense, conditioning, some types of double teams, keeping his cool during adversity (sometimes), keeping his mind on the game rather than on the refs, getting back on defense...

I know this might seem like nitpicking previous seasons Luka, but considering his potential, I don't think it is.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 03:09 PM)fifteenth Wrote: ...free throws, defense, conditioning, some types of double teams, keeping his cool during adversity (sometimes), keeping his mind on the game rather than on the refs, getting back on defense...

I know this might seem like nitpicking previous seasons Luka, but considering his potential, I don't think it is.

OK, yes, I'm responding to myself. Roast as needed. 

Just wanted to shout out my pal Kam who frequently took a beating for mentioning the above list of things that Luka Past needed to improve upon.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 04:13 PM)fifteenth Wrote: OK, yes, I'm responding to myself. Roast as needed. 

Just wanted to shout out my pal Kam who frequently took a beating for mentioning the above list of things that Luka Past needed to improve upon.

Responding to myself again cause I'm working today, and my coworkers are still at home, and I'm putting this forum on my back for just a couple hours, like old times. Where's the dancing banana emoji? Hi J0n! Is your AC working? 

So, regarding Kam taking a beating for talking about ways Luka could improve...

Just going down memory lane for a sec and shouting our ex-game-recap guru with the mad writing skills who lost her mind for a few weeks over Kam's Luka takes. Hope you're doing great!!
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Reunion Mav
Like Reply