Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 10: New Orleans Pelicans (4-6) vs. Dallas Mavericks (8-2) | 124-136 WINNNN!!
(11-12-2023, 09:53 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Nice to see Kyrie and Josh Green play well.

I know we’re not gonna be in that top tier of contenders but if the team is still playing at a >50 win pace at the deadline, they’re gonna look to add win now players like Dan has been suggesting.

You never know. They've gotten off to such a good start. They could be this year's Sac Kings and surprise everybody and finish in the top tier of the West.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
What a complete different watching experience from last year to this year. So fun. What in the world happened last year?

Kyrie was so good tonight and I loved Green’s game. Lively non dunk shots can look awkward at times but he maybe had 2-3 of those plays all year at Duke. To see him finish without a dunk is really surprising. It was probably one of the top two areas I thought would be ugly early.

Zion at Duke and early in the nba would do things you very rarely see on a basketball court. He is still good (not good tonight though), but he doesn’t look like the same player. The freakish explosion is not there right now. He also still needs to get in better condition. He is too big still. I hope he figure it out because he was so fun to watch.
Like Reply
(11-12-2023, 10:05 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Zion at Duke and early in the nba would do things you very rarely see on a basketball court.  He is still good (not good tonight though), but he doesn’t look like the same player.  The freakish explosion is not there right now.  He also still needs to get in better condition.  He is too big still.  I hope he figure it out because he was so fun to watch.

Is there an example of a player that returned from meniscus surgery without losing some explosiveness?
Like Reply
(11-12-2023, 09:53 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I know we’re not gonna be in that top tier of contenders but if the team is still playing at a >50 win pace at the deadline, they’re gonna look to add win now players like Dan has been suggesting.

I agree with the second half of the statement.  I don’t think they’ll pass on the opportunity to improve somewhere if this level of success continues.  Maybe not even 50 win pace.  Still in the hunt for a top 4 seed?

I do appreciate the way the discussions in the trade thread stayed relatively on point and were well argued by people this weekend.  Sometimes people say silly things that get other people triggered and off we go.  I’m pleased that didn’t happen which led to a good conversation.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, mvossman, The Jom
Like Reply
(11-12-2023, 10:05 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Kyrie was so good tonight and I loved Green’s game.  Lively non dunk shots can look awkward at times but he maybe had 2-3 of those plays all year at Duke. To see him finish without a dunk is really surprising.  

Yeah, there is game there that was completely hidden in college.  On thing I’ve noticed that he needs to fix is that he gets at least two fouls a game simply closing the space between him and the ball handler often with the ball handler in a bad position.  It is just a slight move forward…just a few inches.  But that movement gets him every time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Chicagojk
Like Reply
I want to see Lively close on 3-point shooters a little harder. I know, I know. We have no grounds to complain. He’s phenomenal. But I think he could’ve bothered a couple of those Valanciunas set shots.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(11-12-2023, 07:57 PM)chaparral Wrote: Enjoying Harris as Followell's sidekick.  But does anyone know what happened to Harp?

I'm curious about this as well. It's hard to even find anything on google. I saw an unsubstantiated rumor on reddit that ESPN offered him a color commentary job but that was it
Like Reply
Another great game. When your stars play like that, not much the opposing team could do. Only 6 turnovers! Also, NO is a mess, a lot due to all the injuries. I wish deep bench would learn to hold onto leads against opposing teams deep bench a bit better than they do. Similar to last game lost a big chunk of the lead.
Like Reply
The Mavericks entered the game with 155 3-pointers, the most in NBA history by a team through nine games. They also are the NBA’s most accurate 3-point shooting team, at 40.9%.

Per DMN
Like Reply
(11-12-2023, 10:26 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Is there an example of a player that returned from meniscus surgery without losing some explosiveness?

I am not sure.  Are you saying he is not the same player due to surgery?
Like Reply
DJJ is playing with so much confidence. I believe he missed his first four threes last night. A few of them really bad misses. When he got his 5th chance, he had no hesitancy and took the shot. I think he made his final 2 attempts. His confidence is sky high right now.

I really like the Green sprinting to the corner and getting an early possession three. It feels like a good shot for him.

I love how Grant Williams can have two quiet offensive games while still doing the dirty work and you don't have to worry that he is going to gripe about touches.
Like Reply
(11-13-2023, 01:21 AM)omahen Wrote: Another great game. When your stars play like that, not much the opposing team could do. Only 6 turnovers! Also, NO is a mess, a lot due to all the injuries. I wish deep bench would learn to hold onto leads against opposing teams deep bench a bit better than they do. Similar to last game lost a big chunk of the lead.

Its a nice world where our biggest complaint is that the deep bench is not holding up blowout scores as well as we would like (and I do share this minor frustration).
[-] The following 8 users Like mvossman's post:
  • ballsrchr, Jmaciscool, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, omahen, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(11-13-2023, 10:08 AM)mvossman Wrote: Its a nice world where our biggest complaint is that the deep bench is not holding up blowout scores as well as we would like (and I do share this minor frustration).

If I can add to the nitpicking, Kidd is not coaching during those moments either.  Not calling a timeout during the Clippers comeback was driving me crazy.  The youngins were out there making mistakes, this is your chance to reign them in and help them straighten things out and he just hung them out to dry a bit.

Obligatory I miss Rick's timeouts...

(I also acknowledge that Kidd's rotations have been pretty great though thus far)
Like Reply
(11-13-2023, 12:41 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: If I can add to the nitpicking, Kidd is not coaching during those moments either.  Not calling a timeout during the Clippers comeback was driving me crazy.  The youngins were out there making mistakes, this is your chance to reign them in and help them straighten things out and he just hung them out to dry a bit.

(I also acknowledge that Kidd's rotations have been pretty great though thus far)

Hell no.

Rick would take Josh Green out of the game after his first mistake...accumulate 30 seconds of game reps and have like a total of 12 total minutes before All Star Break.

Thats stifling growth not adding to it.

I get what you are saying...I get Rick's philosophy TO A POINT....but ultimately that aint it, imo.   At least see if the kid corrects the mistake next time down the court instead of yanking him.   I just completely disagree with that philosophy unless there is life and danger on the line...and basketball doesnt categorize that way for me.  To be honest...I need more information before I make a hardline opinion of the subject.   I need to know how they treat these players in practice when they make a mistake?   I assume they just let them continue running and instruct them that they are getting yanked if it happens in a real game?   When Mavs seem to be experimenting and not too concerned about losses for first half of the season...I dont see why you would yank kids instead of letting the learn on the job.   There is an entertainment factor that plays into this as well...fans want to see the rooks and how they play.   Rick would leave you frustrated as a fan.

In the ENTERTAINMENT world...I think I disagree with a full on hard nose approach to coaching like that.    You want the kid to be the best player possible...but there is offseason and practices for that, imo.
[-] The following 2 users Like youzigizag's post:
  • ballsrchr, MFFL
Like Reply
(11-13-2023, 12:41 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: If I can add to the nitpicking, Kidd is not coaching during those moments either.  Not calling a timeout during the Clippers comeback was driving me crazy.  The youngins were out there making mistakes, this is your chance to reign them in and help them straighten things out and he just hung them out to dry a bit.

I don´t need Rick´s hissyfit timeouts back. He´d have called about three of them. Let them play and do a video session afterwards. The closest the Clippers got was 17 with six minutes left. Start of the 4th they were up 26. That means we lost nine points in six minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
Things never change!! :-D

The "players learn in practice and have to earn time through practice" vs "coaches should always play young players in the games" argument is still raging!
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(11-13-2023, 01:03 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote:  I don´t need Rick´s hissyfit timeouts back. He´d have called about three of them. Let them play and do a video session afterwards. The closest the Clippers got was 17 with six minutes left. Start of the 4th they were up 26. That means we lost nine points in six minutes.

They pulled to within 14 which was why we were forced to put Luka back in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(11-13-2023, 01:21 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: They pulled to within 14 which was why we were forced to put Luka back in.

That and point difference counts for inseason tournament
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(11-13-2023, 12:56 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Hell no.

Rick would take Josh Green out of the game after his first mistake...accumulate 30 seconds of game reps and have like a total of 12 total minutes before All Star Break.

Thats stifling growth not adding to it.

I get what you are saying...I get Rick's philosophy TO A POINT....but ultimately that aint it, imo.   At least see if the kid corrects the mistake next time down the court instead of yanking him.   I just completely disagree with that philosophy unless there is life and danger on the line...and basketball doesnt categorize that way for me.  To be honest...I need more information before I make a hardline opinion of the subject.   I need to know how they treat these players in practice when they make a mistake?   I assume they just let them continue running and instruct them that they are getting yanked if it happens in a real game?   When Mavs seem to be experimenting and not too concerned about losses for first half of the season...I dont see why you would yank kids instead of letting the learn on the job.   There is an entertainment factor that plays into this as well...fans want to see the rooks and how they play.   Rick would leave you frustrated as a fan.

In the ENTERTAINMENT world...I think I disagree with a full on hard nose approach to coaching like that.    You want the kid to be the best player possible...but there is offseason and practices for that, imo.

I hear what you're saying but maybe I miscommunicated.  I never said a word about being upset that Kidd left all the young guys in, in fact I'm happy he did.  I'm just annoyed that when things were clearly lopsided over an extended period of time he didn't use one of the a thousand timeouts the NBA grants you to help settle the kids down and help them out in the moment.

Just because the win is basically in your back pocket doesn't mean you should just stop coaching.  That's all.

(11-13-2023, 01:22 PM)omahen Wrote: That and point difference counts for inseason tournament

For sure but also, if Kidd really believed that, wouldn't he have just left his top rotation guys in the whole time and tried to secure like a 40 point win?
Like Reply
(11-13-2023, 01:24 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote:

For sure but also, if Kidd really believed that, wouldn't he have just left his top rotation guys in the whole time and tried to secure like a 40 point win?

I would call it a balance between preserving stars long term and reaching a good point differential. Agree with you on the time-out. Not a good look if you are returning your stars after 15 minute rest because you didn't do anything with youngsters.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • ballsrchr, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply