Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 106, Kings 110
L2M report confirms that the referees missed the foul on Luka's last shot.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 05:45 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: L2M report confirms that the referees missed the foul on Luka's last shot.

Actually two no calls on Luka in last 2 minutes. No wonder he is pissed of at refs
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 05:24 PM)audiosway Wrote: Great stuff as usual ML. I think honestly you saw a group of young guys that had played more games than they are used to come out tired. Not making excuses for them. Just reality of it all. They are a very young team top to bottom. And it's a very long season. When you have been traveling and playing hard that much it wears on you until you are used to it. I know they were tired because the Kings shot so well. That was just a lack of effort on the Mavs D. D is all about effort. It's hard to give when you are tired.

Games like that will be great for later in the season though. It's going to help them know what they need to do in being prepared.
Thanks, audiosway. Carlisle denied the fatigue factor, but I tend to think you are right. Changing time zones and spiking adrenaline rushes both take a lot out of the human body. That's just biological, not a character matter. 

In addition, I have noticed that the Mavs like to ease into games, and have had problems with teams that come out of the gate with a lot of force. Agree that this game should be useful in terms of making preparation adjustments.

(12-09-2019, 05:52 PM)omahen Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 05:45 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: L2M report confirms that the referees missed the foul on Luka's last shot.

Actually two no calls on Luka in last 2 minutes. No wonder he is pissed of at refs
Correct. The report also notes that Barea should have been called for a shooting foul on Barnes during that time frame. 

I think two things are both true. 

1.  It is extremely disappointing that the refs missed an easily spotted foul on a potentially game-changing play. The refs should be better. I understand why Luka is upset. 

2.  The Mavs have themselves to blame for the loss, and should not just sit back and feel like they did a great job but the refs stole the game. The Mavericks should be better. I understand why Carlisle is disappointed.
Like Reply
mavsluvr Wrote:The Mavs have themselves to blame for the loss, and should not just sit back and feel like they did a great job but the refs stole the game. The Mavericks should be better. I understand why Carlisle is disappointed.

Exactly. The officiating was poor, but we’re the better team and they were without 2 of their best players.

This loss is on us, not the terrible refs.

As always, enjoy your insightful game wrapups!
Like Reply
[url= Three incorrect no-calls in the Last Two Minutes report from the NBA in last night's game. Doncic should've received two free throws with seven seconds left. Also should've earned two FTs with 1:58 left. J.J. Barea should've been called for a foul against Barnes with 1:35 left.
[url=December 9, 2019 ">
Quote:Three incorrect no-calls in the Last Two Minutes report from the NBA in last night's game. Doncic should've received two free throws with seven seconds left. Also should've earned two FTs with 1:58 left. J.J. Barea should've been called for a foul against Barnes with 1:35 left.
— Bobby Karalla (@bobbykaralla) December 9, 2019
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
7th not called foul after which Luka went ballistic and earn T:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ELYSFXkWsAEAQDg.jpg:large

This is not light bump or gently kiss this is full power attack...  and was not seein by 3 refs ...  nice

If somebody don't believe that it was 7th, go and watch reply slow motion and enjoy.

RC and LD are smart and well aware what illegal deference on LD could do to mavs. So maybe those theatrical shows could mean something else as well... What is 1T worth? 1FT....

I don't want to go into refs debate, just to indicate that as such judging is not good for the league neither for mavs if somebody think that's ok.

Refs are not responsible for mavs L this time, they came to easy in the game and that was the reason. Kings deserved that win.

And respect to @"mavsluvr", fine recap as always, nothing to add..
Like Reply
This is a bullshit thread. I had to quit reading it. Those of you who think Shaq and Hardin got unfair whistles are smoking serious crack. That’s a Soviet-style disinformation campaign. Those guys got the benefit of nearly every whistle. Until the refs finally turned on Shaq in the finals vs Detroit.

The solution for Luka is to join the Lakers. Giannis too. Don’t be surprised if it happens. Often does.
Like Reply
I think the Mavs should get a MWP/Mason/Oakley-type bruiser who makes the guys who want to rough up Luka take a second thought. 

I told everyone that Luka was going to learn how unfair the refereeing in this league was against the Dallas Mavericks. Remember the "That guy almost killed me! Why ref not call foul?" post that actually got downvotes by some pudwhack haters on the old board? Yes, Luka gets a lot of trips to the line. He should get three times what he does, or alternatively, teams will stop beating the crap out of him if the refs stop calling the game with criminal illegality. But we all know that will never happen as long as Mark Cuban owns the Dallas Mavericks. In the meantime, if the refs are going to let them clobber you, then you'd better take matters into your own hands, and have the Clydesdales to do it.
Like Reply
Sac defeats Rockets tonight, 119-118.  We're not the only ones.

(12-09-2019, 08:52 PM)Jommybone Wrote: This is a bullshit thread. I had to quit reading it. Those of you who think Shaq and Hardin got unfair whistles are smoking serious crack. That’s a Soviet-style disinformation campaign. Those guys got the benefit of nearly every whistle. Until the refs finally turned on Shaq in the finals vs Detroit.

The solution for Luka is to join the Lakers. Giannis too. Don’t be surprised if it happens. Often does.
Jommy, if you don't like the thread, don't read it. But you have no case to come in and start insulting people. 

If you want to bring conspiracy theories in, I guess that's fine, but you can do it in a civil manner. 

Such as:

"The refs were/are engaged in a conspiracy to give Shaq/Harden the benefit of almost all foul calls. Until Shaq was in the finals in Detroit, when the refs conspired against Shaq. If Luka and Giannis join the Lakers, the refs will conspire to officiate them more preferentially."

(12-09-2019, 09:53 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think the Mavs should get a MWP/Mason/Oakley-type bruiser who makes the guys who want to rough up Luka take a second thought. 

I told everyone that Luka was going to learn how unfair the refereeing in this league was against the Dallas Mavericks. Remember the "That guy almost killed me! Why ref not call foul?" post that actually got downvotes by some pudwhack haters on the old board? Yes, Luka gets a lot of trips to the line. He should get three times what he does, or alternatively, teams will stop beating the crap out of him if the refs stop calling the game with criminal illegality. But we all know that will never happen as long as Mark Cuban owns the Dallas Mavericks. In the meantime, if the refs are going to let them clobber you, then you'd better take matters into your own hands, and have the Clydesdales to do it.
Hey, Scott, I thought you weren't watching the Mavs until later in the season. Did something happen to get you interested earlier? Sorry if I missed it elsewhere on the site.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 08:40 AM)Derek Nowitzki Wrote: Well, if no-one else is going to comment...

Firstly, great work as always, I missed these recaps the seasons you were away.

A disappointing loss, but definitely positive in the sense that we’ve seen once again that this team has what it takes to make big comebacks, which is something you expect more from veteran teams.

As for Porzingis, I noticed he was going HARD after rebounds during the comeback, impressed me a lot with his hustle.

I probably missed it being spoken about, but it’s interesting to see Don Knobler courtside again; almost feels nostalgic seeing him there again...
Thanks, DN, glad you shared your thoughts. 

I agree that KP looked very focused during the comeback. Hope it's a harbinger of things to come!

I was wondering whether Knobler would come back after his "suspension." He is such a fixture at the arena.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 01:28 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 11:50 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Getting some of these opponents into foul trouble or getting into the bonus early on some cheap fouls is how you get them to stop doing this crap.  It goes completely against long standing stereotypes, but our Euro star needs to learn the dark arts of flopping from his American counterparts.    Luka certainly isn't afraid to complain to the refs after the fact, but he's light years away from guys like Harden and CP3 are at selling the foul.        I almost wonder if many Euros are so sensitive about the stereotypes they go too far the other way.

Barea is an expert flopper / exaggerator of contact.
Indeed he is, the little dickens, lol.
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 01:06 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Indeed he is, the little dickens, lol.

rabbit trail, I can't remember if I've typed this out loud or if anyone else has said it before, but...

we used to say things like, "man, if we could fit JJB's heart and skills into the 6'8" body of "Random Player Name", we'd have super star. 

We now have our 6'8" JJB.
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 01:12 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 01:06 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Indeed he is, the little dickens, lol.

rabbit trail, I can't remember if I've typed this out loud or if anyone else has said it before, but...

we used to say things like, "man, if we could fit JJB's heart and skills into the 6'8" body of "Random Player Name", we'd have super star. 

We now have our 6'8" JJB.
Back in the day, Barea used to drive me crazy (as a player, not as a person). It seemed to me like all he did was pound the ball for twenty seconds, and then call his own number. But, over the years, he has come to be one of my favorite Mavs. He was fantastic during the Mavs' championship playoff run. His performance now, even at his age and after his injury, is incredible. 

And comparing him to Luka is, in a way, a great compliment to both of them!

(12-09-2019, 04:47 PM)j0Shi Wrote: kudos to our little Puerto Rican for completely dominating Harrison Barnes defensively. LOL.
This probably hasn't gotten as much attention as it deserved. Barea totally threw Barnes off. It was amazing, lol.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 10:30 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Hey, Scott, I thought you weren't watching the Mavs until later in the season. Did something happen to get you interested earlier? Sorry if I missed it elsewhere on the site.

I lasted three games of my 11-game hiatus. Luka happened. BTW, I think that KP is gradually going to "happen" as well - we've already started to see it blooming - and then watch out. Although I would be surprised if the next six games didn't produce some whinging from Mavs fans...
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 02:20 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 10:30 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Hey, Scott, I thought you weren't watching the Mavs until later in the season. Did something happen to get you interested earlier? Sorry if I missed it elsewhere on the site.

I lasted three games of my 11-game hiatus. Luka happened. BTW, I think that KP is gradually going to "happen" as well - we've already started to see it blooming - and then watch out. Although I would be surprised if the next six games didn't produce some whinging from Mavs fans...
Ah. 

Well, it's great fun to witness all the happenings!

Porzingis attributed the lack of intensity and resulting loss to the Mavs' being overconfident. If that is indeed the case, I understand why Carlisle is trying to get them not to be too enamored with their own press releases.
Like Reply
Bjelica decides to more than double his points average for this year...Who Knew?

Apparently his salary is not guaranteed beyond this season, so he might be trying to play for some long term security.

Oh well, back burner until 1/15 and focus on the Pistons and their inside power.
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 02:42 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Bjelica decides to more than double his points average for this year...Who Knew?

Apparently his salary is not guaranteed beyond this season, so he might be trying to play for some long term security.

Oh well, back burner until 1/15 and focus on the Pistons and their inside power.
Bjelica was amazing. Watched part of the Kings-Rox game last night, and he was good there, too. 

I haven't followed Detroit at all this season. I'm looking forward to re-familiarizing myself with them.
Like Reply
I'm glad we are not seeing the Pelicans for a longer time. Games against them were super boring.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 05:09 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: So glad to have Barnes off this team. He is close to being effective but comes up short just enough to not play winning basketball. I was impressed that he was passing more out of his drives than I ever saw him do as a Mav. He is pretty salty in the lane, but then when it matters he comes up short.

Man I wish we could play JJB more, he just is a winner. I know he's old but we can't play him 15 minutes a night? I am going to miss him when he retires, probably my favorite Mav outside of Dirk all-time.
I relate to your comments about Barnes. I have come to think that his ceiling is probably as a veteran third or fourth option on a contender. He has these tantalizing moments where you think the possibilities are endless, but it somehow never pans out. 

It wouldn't totally surprise me to see more of Barea later in the season, depending on the team record. Meanwhile, he makes a great secret sauce to spice up the game when the opponents least expect it!
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 03:04 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I'm glad we are not seeing the Pelicans for a longer time. Games against them were super boring.

Of course they may have their ROY candidate back by then. Be interesting to see if they do anything with Zion or just try to get through the rest of a lost season without additional injury.
Like Reply