Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 2: Brooklyn Nets (0-2) vs. Dallas Mavericks (2-0) | 120-125 WIN!!!!!
(10-27-2023, 11:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I will say, I like that Luka hasn’t played the full 1st and 3rd quarters in either game. I really believe that is helping the late game heroics in these first 2 games.

I like this a lot, too. Never understood the “entire first quarter” thing. Seems to me the end of the first half is the second most crucial time of the game, behind the last 5 minutes of the 4th.
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 10:36 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I like this a lot, too. Never understood the “entire first quarter” thing. Seems to me the end of the first half is the second most crucial time of the game, behind the last 5 minutes of the 4th.

I do wonder if this is having a negative effect on Kyrie though.  We have correlation, but not causation at this point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 10:38 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I do wonder if this is having a negative effect on Kyrie though.  We have correlation, but not causation at this point.

Possible, but if so I think I’d prefer they take a “do what’s best for Luka and hope Kyrie adjusts” approach. After all, that’s the entire point of the 2nd star, right? To take some of the load off of Luka?
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 07:51 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It really appears we are missing one long wing.  OMAx would fill this need.  We may just need to wait on him.

Agree with this, I would just add "one long wing who is more capable than DJJ".  I get what Kidd is thinking with DJJ but it just shows that he's a coach that is not playing to it's talent and trying to play the way he wants with players who aren't capable of contributing and it slows us down.

I feel like the long wing conversation and some of the early Maxi concern conversations are going to converge here pretty soon because I think they're both ways of saying "it's time for a Maxi upgrade".  Right now we have Maxi who is a natural big (in my opinion) who can play a little bit of big wing and in reality we just need a long starting level wing who can masquerade as a big from time to time in case we want to play 5 out.  Someone who can keep Green in the bench role that Kidd wants him (or Williams, it will be interesting how that debate plays out over the season) but actually brings something to the floor.  I think that's why some of the smoke around PJ Washington this offseason got people excited because he's the exact person that everyone around here is talking about.  I would argue that Grant Williams fits this description a little more than other people on this board feel but I think it's important to get two wings like this (and so does Kidd based on his starting lineup).

One note that I do want to mention though, if Luka's crunch time defense is legit and scales out to 82 games (holding my breath there) then the entire conversation changes in my opinion and you're just looking for a straight talent upgrade from any sort of skill set standpoint because you can trust that Grant Williams and Luka can give you enough wing defense to get you some playoff wins.  Again, that's a long shot but some of the things he did late in the Spurs game caught my eye and this possession last night I watched about a million times because I've never seen Luka move his feet like this, it's normally just him finally paying attention and jumping passing lanes:

https://streamable.com/r9dly8

Also, shout out IGT who was raising concerns about Maxi's contract when it happened when everyone else seemed happy about it, myself included.  Really hope Maxi holds up enough to play an important role on this team because Lively/Powell center rotation is just going to get outmatched by certain frontcourts in the West and we'll need to play differently but if he can't get back to that level of play we saw during the conference finals run, those three years left may end up being something we need to navigate.
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • ItsGoTime, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 10:38 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I do wonder if this is having a negative effect on Kyrie though.  We have correlation, but not causation at this point.

Gotta hope it's just Kyrie missing shots right now.  I feel like he's still getting good looks and his whole career is based on making tough contested shots and off the dribble threes so you got to think it's just shaking off the injury and he'll bounce back.  He's played on good teams as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd option so I'm not worried about his ability to adapt but do agree that we should make sure there is an opportunity in the rotations for Kyrie to create with Luka off the court.
Like Reply
If Kidd is determined to keep bringing Green off of the bench, what about trying Exum in the starting lineup, replacing DJJ''s minutes, and then replacing Exum's bench minutes with either Hardy or Curry?
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ballsrchr, mvossman, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 09:54 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Second, the two teams we faced have players that CAN up the level of their play to match Luka’s performance.

Just to add to this, the league has gotten so talented over the past handful of years that this has become true for almost EVERY non playoff team sans a couple examples, especially in the west.  Outside of the blazers and maybe the rockets, I don't think there's any team in the west the Mavs should expect to win, they'll have to execute in crunch time.

(10-28-2023, 10:57 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: If Kidd is determined to keep bringing Green off of the bench, what about trying Exum in the starting lineup, replacing DJJ''s minutes, and then replacing Exum's bench minutes with either Hardy or Curry?

Would much rather see this.
Like Reply
Thanks for posting that clip Stranded! That play stood out to me in real time too. That was outstanding defense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
PJ Washington isn’t trade eligible until Jan.1st, but I’m glad to see people revisit the idea of the necessity for another floor spacing small-ball 5. We should have a clearer picture of what Maxi has left by the new year. If Maxi can be that guy for two of the next three years that would be huge. Then he becomes a tradeable expiring. It’s looking like a big ask at the moment to squeeze out two more quality years though.

He isn’t holding up as the lone center and isn’t moving laterally as well to guard the perimeter. There was a play last night where Bridges was at the 3 point line and Maxi sort of lurched at him, like he couldn’t commit to closing out or hedging and doesn’t entirely trust his body to react right. Bridges just blew by him. Maxi looked incredibly old to me in that moment.

Would anyone consider PJ/Hayward (or Rozier) for THJ/2027 (or Hardy)?
I think I’d hold onto assets for something bigger and better, but PJ and Hayward would put us into contender conversation. Just the idea of an upgrade from DJJ to Hayward alone is mind expanding.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 11:58 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Would anyone consider PJ/Hayward (or Rozier) for THJ/2027 (or Hardy)?

I love Washington, but I wouldn't consider this deal for a second. The time to angle for PJ was this summer when he was very gettable.
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 10:35 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote:  But lineup experiments and blowouts aren’t likely to happen at the same time.

I think they are likely to happen. Just not the ones we would wish for Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(10-27-2023, 10:47 PM)The Jom Wrote: Almost as incredible as Luka’s finish is this board’s negativity after a sensational, come-from-behind win. It’s hard to be a fan and keep coming here for shit. Guess I need to find a new board.

Ditto to the max.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hogmelon's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
First of all I've got to say that I have tried to warn you all about Dereck Lively, but only a few of you would listen Big Grin Big Grin

I love the fact that the Mavs are playing at a (much) faster pace, than last year. Faster pace leads to easier baskets, and more open looks. And if everything goes south you still have two of the best halfcourt creators in the league.
Kyrie still has so much more room to grow. He can easly create his shot and find his spots, but the shots just don't go in. Once he's back to his true self, the Mavs have(at least) 5 additional points every game. With a healthy/in form Kyrie, the Mavs are a prime candidate for a top3 offense this year.

Now to my guy Dereck Lively. The fact that he makes a positive impact whenever he's in the game says enough... His roll gravity opens space for Luka and everyone else. He's also hitting his hook shots, layups,... And I haven't said anything about his defense. The Nets players tried to take him 1on1, but only Thomas was able to score on him once. Also his help defense is outstanding and he's only getting better. Sky's the limit for our rook!

Josh Green was really bad in the 1st half, but he turned it over in the second. Played great defense, had 2 steals and 2 forced offensive fouls, also contesting shots, I love how he has shown more confidence on offense.

Nothing to say about Luka, jsut speechless Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes juanc's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 12:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I love Washington, but I wouldn't consider this deal for a second. The time to angle for PJ was this summer when he was very gettable.

Speaking of PJ….an interesting little tidbit for you all….

My best friend manages a high end restaurant called BLT in downtown Charlotte. He’s a big Mavs fan as well. He said PJ booked the entire restaurant after hours last night after their game. My buddy talked to PJ and told him that he wished he were a Mav. PJ replied simply “almost…almost…”  He didn’t provide any other details unfortunately.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 1 user Likes OBX Maverick's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 02:44 PM)OBX Maverick Wrote: Speaking of PJ….an interesting little tidbit for you all….

My best friend manages a high end restaurant called BLT in downtown Charlotte. He’s a big Mavs fan as well. He said PJ booked the entire restaurant after hours last night after their game. My buddy talked to PJ and told him that he wished he were a Mav. PJ replied simply “almost…almost…”  He didn’t provide any other details unfortunately.

I think the Mav’s felt they could use one more guy.  I’m not sure position mattered that much as they attempted to get Thybulle and may have attempted to get PJ and were in all sorts of rumors for a center.  We still have all of the assets we would have used in any such deal (except Green after his extension).

Personally, I think it makes sense to wait for the season to do something.  You get to see more about what you have (especially with Lively).  Dallas hasn’t been shy about TDL deals the last few years.  If we are in good position and good health in 2-3 months, there will be some sellers out there.  The part that makes me nervous is we seem quite fine paying for UFA’s and betting they sign.  Good pond to fish in from a value standpoint, but not without risk.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, mvossman
Like Reply
(10-27-2023, 09:54 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: amazing Luka

So no one is going to give Kidd credit for calling the fadeaway three point hook shot off the glass for Luka?

Supposedly Kidd was trying to call timeout but the refs didn't hear him. Could you imagine the reaction if the refs had called the timeout right as Luka launched that shot? To make that shot and have it not count?
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 07:25 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Hmmm pretty closed minded take. Last night provided the DFW area with one of the most thrilling wins the area had ever seen across any sport. Sorry you missed it bud.

I didn't miss it. I was at the Ranger game. One of the greatest sporting moments in DFW history!
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
Ben Simmons probably only works offensively when he's surrounded by 4 shooters and no Claxton. Looked pretty difficult to defend. Wouldn't surprise me if the nets used that a lot more going forward.
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 12:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I love Washington, but I wouldn't consider this deal for a second. The time to angle for PJ was this summer when he was very gettable.

I’m inclined to agree. I’d rather save the assets for stud 3/4. But adding PJ & Hayward to the rotation would be a massive upgrade. Not sure how motivated Charlotte would be for this deal anyway. Hayward is expiring and PJ is young and they got him on a fair deal. I think it’s a new ownership group though.
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 03:03 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Ben Simmons probably only works offensively when he's surrounded by 4 shooters and no Claxton. Looked pretty difficult to defend. Wouldn't surprise me if the nets used that a lot more going forward.

Simmons looked more like a basketball than he has in the last 2 years. 

But he still looked pretty bad most of the time. He had some nice moments, some nice defense too at times.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply