Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 2: Brooklyn Nets (0-2) vs. Dallas Mavericks (2-0) | 120-125 WIN!!!!!
I will say, I like that Luka hasn’t played the full 1st and 3rd quarters in either game. I really believe that is helping the late game heroics in these first 2 games.
[-] The following 3 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, rocky164
Like Reply
Shocked 
I just went through the last 20 seasons, this is only the 3rd time the Mavs have started 2-0 (2004-05 and 2019-20). That's pretty crazy
[-] The following 2 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • Jym, KillerLeft
Like Reply
There are things wrong with the team, and lord knows there are things wrong with the coach, but come on - we knew that before the season started. Here’s what matters:

Two games, two chances to lose down the stretch like the keystone cops version of the team we suffered to watch last season. Instead, they’re 2-0 because they were able to tighten up and play better than the other team down the stretch. Yeah, neither opponent was a contender, but neither are the Mavs, and I think we all know that these would’ve been losses last season, quality of opponent be damned.

These are the kind of wins that build confidence.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Jmaciscool, rocky164, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(10-27-2023, 11:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I will say, I like that Luka hasn’t played the full 1st and 3rd quarters in either game. I really believe that is helping the late game heroics in these first 2 games.

I'm trying to figure out if it's just the change to his minutes, or there's a genuine improvement in his conditioning. I want the former to continue, but I really hope for the latter (I think it's also really important for him to maintain the conditioning during the season, as I think he potentially falls off the wagon for whatever reason).

I'm hopeful that in Feb/March he looks like this in 4th qrts, rather than me wondering why there's a 78 year old man who looks like Luka out there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dundalis's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 12:31 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: There are things wrong with the team, and lord knows there are things wrong with the coach, but come on - we knew that before the season started. Here’s what matters:

Two games, two chances to lose down the stretch like the keystone cops version of the team we suffered to watch last season. Instead, they’re 2-0 because they were able to tighten up and play better than the other team down the stretch. Yeah, neither opponent was a contender, but neither are the Mavs, and I think we all know that these would’ve been losses last season, quality of opponent be damned.

These are the kind of wins that build confidence.

Agree with this. I also think as Kyrie mentioned in his post game, this is basically his pre season. He was short on a bunch of his shots, which he mentioned is lack of conditioning. There's a lot more to come from him in terms of offensive support for Luka moving forward. Missing Hardy is also big because the offensive catalysts are really only Luka, Kyrie and THJ so far.

I think the defense will come along slowly to start the season, but once Lively really adapts to the league (I think he's one of those super adaptable high IQ quick learner types) maybe mid season I think he will be consistently be having a huge impact of the overall defensive performances of this team.

Green however really frustrates me, because he continues to do dumb out of control things that we have been critical of since his rookie season. It feels like he's the real slow learner type, opposite to someone like Lively. Keeps making the same mistakes, but also flashing incredible hustle plays that were also obviously really important down the stretch in this game. But overall he had the kind of performance that still makes you question whether he should really be starting games, even though it seems obvious that he should be.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dundalis's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-27-2023, 11:36 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I watch the Mavericks and get very happy. I watch the Rangers and get happier. I read only 3 posts and it seems this board is very invested in being critical. At least you recognize that at the end. 

2 games: 2 Clutch wins and 2 awesome Luka performances. I’m going back to being happy with a great night.

It was a lot of fun to watch Luka's brilliance all game and ultimately see Luka drag the team to an incredible, dramatic victory.

However, it is a message board where we discuss the team and the games.

Everyone not named Luka struggled to contribute positively last night.  Coaching is also a problem on this team as our best players often don't play.  While it is amazing to win in dramatic fashion, the Nets are a very middling team and we required some Luka wizardry to defeat them.  They were also missing two of their best players-  Claxton and Cam Johnson.

We can all enjoy the win but still express concerns.  That shouldn't take away from your happiness at the victory.  I'm happy too.  I'm also concerned though about our roster and especially our coaching.  I think all fans should be.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(10-27-2023, 10:58 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1155...ketball-iq

Are you referencing a Bleacher Report article from more than 11 years ago to defend Kidd's lineup decisions?  Are you aware that he started Derrick Jones Jr. last night?  Did you realize that Maxi Kleber played more minutes than Dereck Lively last night?

I don't think you have a very good argument. 

I'd rather you not respond to my posts as you never seem to say anything interesting and you mostly specialize in sarcasm and condescension.

Let's agree not to interact again.
Like Reply
Traveling and unfortunately couldn’t watch. The box score shows Lively as making a very positive contribution in a small number of minutes. He didn’t even commit fouls. WTF happened? Is he injured? Is this a JKidd special? Luka’s highlights were insane. Shouldn’t take that kind of performance to beat a banged up, mediocre Nets team in a home opener by one possession.
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 03:22 AM)Dundalis Wrote: I also think as Kyrie mentioned in his post game, this is basically his pre season.

One of the more understated things going on right now is that this is basically EVERYONES  preseason. There is a huge different between a team that is sleeping in their homes every night and doing training camp and playing preseason games in their arena vs one that is making 20 hour flights to Dubai and then going to Europe to put on performative acts for your superstars old team. I’ve been really impressed the way we haven’t come out flat the first two games despite all that nonsense. That stuff is going to affect older players like Kyrie way more than younger guys so I’m not concerned about him coming around at all. Kidd also treated our trip as a vacation it seems because he didn’t come remotely close to figuring his roster out during it, I have less faith in him figuring things out than Kyrie but there is a built in excuse here.

Also think this board is ignoring the fact that the nets are going to beat a lot of good teams. That roster is chalked full of proven rotation players, it’s not some rebuilding team, just a lot of seasoned vets without a superstar is all. They just took a 51 win team down to the wire in game 1 too, I wonder if Cavs fans were complaining about their team after that win because of the opponent.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(10-27-2023, 02:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Next thing I know you guys will be talking about HOCKEY, as if that's even a real sport.

...lol...baseball...

Hmmm pretty closed minded take. Last night provided the DFW area with one of the most thrilling wins the area had ever seen across any sport. Sorry you missed it bud.
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • MFFL, The Jom
Like Reply
Maybe Kidd is right about Lively but I still would have liked to see him.  Especially knowing he is going to have rough stretches during the year, I would like to take advantage and give him experience and build his confidence.  When he is not in the rotation, you just feel how light we are at center.  I thought Powell was excellent.  I am not a fan of the center maxi minutes with no size.  Maybe I will change my opinion but I would go with maxi and Powell together.  They play well together and if Luka is on the floor they should be put in good situations.  While Lively had two non dunks (I believe) they were both plays we didn’t see at all while he was at Duke.  Anything non dunk for him in a bonus.  I was expecting the worst from him with touch around the rim.  It will probably still be bad but we are seeing glimpses for down the road.

It really appears we are missing one long wing.  OMAx would fill this need.  We may just need to wait on him.  It just feels like there is 20-25 minutes or so that are the taking.  I feel this will be a constant thought for the first half of the season.

I really want Hardaway to be aggressive trying to score.  It is just sometimes don’t want to be that aggressive…if that makes sense.
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(10-27-2023, 02:41 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Watching baseball makes baby Jesus cry.

The sport of baseball goes way back. In fact, it's mentioned in the Bible at the front, where it says "In the Big Inning...".
[-] The following 8 users Like david75090's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, F Gump, HIMAV, ItsGoTime, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, mvossman, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 07:51 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Maybe Kidd is right about Lively but I still would have liked to see him.  Especially knowing he is going to have rough stretches during the year, I would like to take advantage and give him experience and build his confidence.  When he is not in the rotation, you just feel how light we are at center.  I thought Powell was excellent.  I am not a fan of the center maxi minutes with no size.  Maybe I will change my opinion but I would go with maxi and Powell together.  They play well together and if Luka is on the floor they should be put in good situations.  While Lively had two non dunks (I believe) they were both plays we didn’t see at all while he was at Duke.  Anything non dunk for him in a bonus.  I was expecting the worst from him with touch around the rim.  It will probably still be bad but we are seeing glimpses for down the road.

It really appears we are missing one long wing.  OMAx would fill this need.  We may just need to wait on him.  It just feels like there is 20-25 minutes or so that are the taking.  I feel this will be a constant thought for the first half of the season.

I really want Hardaway to be aggressive trying to score.  It is just sometimes don’t want to be that aggressive…if that makes sense.

I think you’ve been crushing it with your takes lately.  Like this and the one you had right after the game last night.  Great that we got the win, but it was frustrating to watch as no one really played well outside of Luka (well, DP, but everyone knows you can’t stop him…you can only hope to contain him).

I like to look at the data before posting and neither Popcorn Machine nor B-Ref has the game flow posted.  I think we are going to have to put up with lineup experimentation for a while and just hope it doesn’t cost us too many games.  NBA.com does have two games worth of lineup data.  It is interesting to note that Green with the other four starters has a net rating of +65.8 while DJJ with the same guys is -6.1 (sample is obviously small).  Josh has been fairly turnover prone so far this season.  I probably would have been more happy with last night’s game if he’d have hit one of those 3’s and gotten to 10 points.

I think we have our 5th starter in Green.  But, to your point of needing one more wing, even if Green started, there is still a hole on the roster that I don’t think anyone fills well.  There is nothing I’ve seen in the early going that says DJJ with the bench would work and I’ve not seen anything from anyone else that says THIS is the guy who could do what Josh is doing with the bench.  At least Kidd has been smart enough to close games with Green.

Interesting data point on Lively.  Everyone wants to see more Lively…including me.  But, the D-Rating was the worst of anyone on the team last night (123) when he was in the game.  The O-Rating was also 123, so he was a net nothing, but that was better than Powell (the problem with the small Powell sample is no one could score at all…except Powell).  I agree, I feel really insecure about the D when Maxi is the lone big.  One of the reasons I want to look at flow data is to see the Lively/Maxi and Powell/Maxi data.  It feels more secure defensively, but the eye test can fool you.  If it were me, I’d probably give Lively/Williams 30 minutes and Powell/Maxi the other 18 and call it a day.  There isn’t anyone I’m just dying to add to the 4/5 rotation right now.  

That leaves the 1, 2 and 3 being covered by Luka, Kyrie, Green and THJ plus ‘stuff’.  Stuff seems inadequate right this moment, but what should we expect as the candidates are all low-dollar adds or first/second year guys.  What I think we need is that guy who is so obviously better than Josh (or Williams, I don’t care which) that we all agree Josh (or GWill) should come off the bench.  Add THAT guy and this team is really strong.  Heck, I think we will be just fine starting Josh and GWill, but we still need someone like what you’ve described to round out the bench.  I think Hardy could certainly get to Cam Thomas type play, but that doesn’t fit defensively between THJ and Irving.  So, even if Hardy got there, it would require more extensive changes.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • HIMAV, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 03:12 AM)Dundalis Wrote: I'm trying to figure out if it's just the change to his minutes, or there's a genuine improvement in his conditioning. I want the former to continue, but I really hope for the latter (I think it's also really important for him to maintain the conditioning during the season, as I think he potentially falls off the wagon for whatever reason).

I'm hopeful that in Feb/March he looks like this in 4th qrts, rather than me wondering why there's a 78 year old man who looks like Luka out there.
I think there is plenty of room for both to be true. Add to those two things the work being put in to have him less of a focal point of the offense and I have a lot more hope that it will be sustainable for a full season. Call me encouraged.
Like Reply
I totally agree that Lively/Williams 30 minutes and Powell/Maxi for 18 is the way forward. I just hope Kidd and the other coaches who apparently make pre-game line-ups can see this as well. It seems like a no-brainer to anyone who has eyes. I also hope that Maxi as the lone big goes away at least until Maxi is where he was before the injury which may never happen. Green should start period.
Like Reply
One of the biggest things I think breaking up his minutes does is especially helps him not get hurt. When your body is exhausted, but you have the competitive spirit that Luka has, you push to do things your body could do if it wasn’t exhausted. That’s just injury waiting to happen, and especially in his case right now, extending an injury already sustained. I hope he himself comes out of this current injury issue with that better understanding and doesn’t push to play full quarters for every game. If it’s truly needed on a certain night? Sure. I just hope night in and night out it is no longer the rule.
[-] The following 3 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, donzingis38, mvossman
Like Reply
[Image: well.png]

DJJ + Lively looking like i expected it. Just not a fit on offense in general for obvious reasons. Small sample size, but the OffRtg outlier making it fairly obvious. Playing two non shooters doesn't work in the NBA.

Not even sure if DJJ earned many minutes so far. Exum has been more impressive on both ends. Give me Green starting, and Exum getting more mins off the bench > DJJ.

Mavs played 26 min with him and have a OffRtg < 100 with him. That is McGee 2.0 vibes in terms of stunting the overall offense. Non floor spacing player doesn't fit with Luka at all, unless you have other basketball skills. I am not convinced DJJ has them. His defensive impact isn't good enough to play him. Unless you make him a PnR target. And Lively and Powell are probably muich better at that anyway.
[-] The following 2 users Like sefant's post:
  • ItsGoTime, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 06:44 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Traveling and unfortunately couldn’t watch. The box score shows Lively as making a very positive contribution in a small number of minutes. He didn’t even commit fouls. WTF happened?  Is he injured?  Is this a JKidd special? Luka’s highlights were insane. Shouldn’t take that kind of performance to beat a banged up, mediocre Nets team in a home opener by one possession.

Extreme small ball by the opponent. Took the pick and roll away on offense, and I bet Kidd was scared of Lively having to chase DFS or O’Neal or Simmons around the perimeter. There were a ton of open threes. Kind of seemed like “how to defend a pace and space team” hadn’t really come up in Mavs practice yet.

Powell actually played really well, and in theory is perfectly cast as a small ball 5, but my guess is that there were simply offensive wrinkles being thrown out by centerless Nets that Lively quite literally hasn’t learned how to deal with yet. Not in a basketball player sense (although maybe even that), but in a “how the Mavericks do it” sense.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, F Gump, HIMAV, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
A lot is being said about the quality of opponents we had so far. Heck, I said something about it last game. In an effort to not exactly thwart that thought string, but to bring a bit more light to the subject, first, a win is a win in the regular season. I myself want every single one we produce no matter the reasons.

Second, the two teams we faced have players that CAN up the level of their play to match Luka’s performance. Both teams also have so many of those sweet spot sized guys on their roster with a mix of good defense to go with good offense. That’s to say they are very well balanced. Both teams also seemed to give us their best games, which when we win a game playing against a team giving their best, it shouldn’t be totally discounted.

I myself asked for the days when we competed for longest opening win streak of the season. 2-0 is the start to that. Keep it up boys! Knock down what’s put in front of you!
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 09:54 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: A lot is being said about the quality of opponents we had so far. Heck, I said something about it last game. In an effort to not exactly thwart that thought string, but to bring a bit more light to the subject, first, a win is a win in the regular season. I myself want every single one we produce no matter the reasons.

Second, the two teams we faced have players that CAN up the level of their play to match Luka’s performance. Both teams also have so many of those sweet spot sized guys on their roster with a mix of good defense to go with good offense. That’s to say they are very well balanced. Both teams also seemed to give us their best games, which when we win a game playing against a team giving their best, it shouldn’t be totally discounted.

We have to win against bad teams (or good teams who are missing their stars).

We have to win against the East.

We have to take care of business at home.

We have to win more clutch games.

Those things have to happen to be top six.  So far, so good.  But, we are really missing the mark on style points and it is absolutely true that our strength of schedule isn’t looking good right now.  You’d prefer we blow someone out somewhere along the way.  But lineup experiments and blowouts aren’t likely to happen at the same time.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, michaeltex
Like Reply