Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Grant Williams (17pts, 6rbs, 1blk 4-8 from 3, +2))
0%
0 0%
Maxi (6pts, 7rbs, 2 ast, 1blk, -12)
0%
0 0%
Luka (33pts, 14rbs, 10asts, 1 stl, +4)
14.29%
5 14.29%
Kyrie (22pts, 2rbs, 6asts, 1 stl, +1)
0%
0 0%
Dereck Lively (16 pts, 10 rbs, 1ast, 1stl, 7-8 FGs, +20)
85.71%
30 85.71%
THJ (17pts, 6 rbs, 4 ast, +9)
0%
0 0%
Josh Green (11pts, 2 rbd, 1 ast, 2 stl, 1 blk, +4)
0%
0 0%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 1 DIRKE: Lively takes it!
Well Lively's game was lovely and looked very lively tonight. So I gave "dirke" to him, despite Luka's triple double and almost 0 complaining to refs.
Like Reply
I did give this to Luka because c’mon. There have been 4 opening night 30 point triple doubles and this one won the game down the stretch. The rookie can defer to the goat!
Like Reply
That put-back dunk in the 4th, holy moly. I’m trying to pump the brakes, cause I remember Christian Wood’s season opener here too. But this kid looks special from this vantage point. Like he seriously could be the third best Mav already, on day 1.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
I gave it to Luka because it was still Luka Magic that took over the last 3 minutes and won the game.

I came close to clicking for Lively, but he got a lot of his because of Luka.

You could make the case that this is probably as much a "team" win as you can have. Everybody worked hard, seemed at least interested in defense, and played unselfishly to beat a scrappy SAS team that will probably be better than everybody thinks. (unless that have another tankarama, I don't know their draft pick situation).
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
If you go back and look at my posts over the past few months, you will see that I was constantly trumpeting that too many people were sleeping on Lively because they didn't recognize that he had the off-court IQ to be a really, really quick learner. We'll see if he keeps this up consistently, but the early returns are proving me right... Not to mention he has TC and two great basketball minds (imagine if we had a real coach as well, sigh) to bring him along.

On the flip side, after his super-encouraging summer league performance, I'm disappointed at OMax's pre-season showing and that he couldn't even make the floor last night. That OMax/Holmes trade was the one that really got me excited on draft night - early returns aren't good, but hey, there are 81 games left. Both guys must be stinking it up in practice given that neither could make the floor against a big team last night with Powell out.

SH, just wondering, is that the German spelling of "Dirkie?" Like, "danke?"
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(10-26-2023, 03:14 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: If you go back and look at my posts over the past few months, you will see that I was constantly trumpeting that too many people were sleeping on Lively because they didn't recognize that he had the off-court IQ to be a really, really quick learner. We'll see if he keeps this up consistently, but the early returns are proving me right... Not to mention he has TC and two great basketball minds (imagine if we had a real coach as well, sigh) to bring him along.

On the flip side, after his super-encouraging summer league performance, I'm disappointed at OMax's pre-season showing and that he couldn't even make the floor last night. That OMax/Holmes trade was the one that really got me excited on draft night - early returns aren't good, but hey, there are 81 games left. Both guys must be stinking it up in practice given that neither could make the floor against a big team last night with Powell out.

SH, just wondering, is that the German spelling of "Dirkie?" Like, "danke?"

Yup, you corrected me several times.  His progress since the summer league is insane.  I hope we make Tyson the highest paid developmental coach in the league.
Like Reply
(10-26-2023, 03:14 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: SH, just wondering, is that the German spelling of "Dirkie?" Like, "danke?"

I actually don't know. It's been that spelling since I joined the board (well lurked first) in 2009-10. Never gave much thought to it but it does have some German panache to the spelling. I defer to our German members to enlighten us  Big Grin
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply