Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best trade target
Just for fun before pre-season starts, lets discuss your favorite target for the last piece (hopefully).  Let say the mavs start the season well, who would your ideal realistic target be now?

Let’s assume the package include Green or Hardy, Hardaway salary filler and a first round pick (maybe a pick swap too).   So who would be your ideal target be?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
For me, it's not this year, but rather next summer - two of our young 'uns, expiring contracts, and three first for Mikal Bridges.

I don't burn Green in a trade without an on-ball perimeter defender coming back, and I likely don't burn Hardy so that he can be used in trade next year.
Like Reply
(09-26-2023, 04:19 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: For me, it's not this year, but rather next summer - two of our young 'uns, expiring contracts, and three first for Mikal Bridges.

I don't burn Green in a trade without an on-ball perimeter defender coming back, and I likely don't burn Hardy so that he can be used in trade next year.

Don't think he'll be available, my friend, but I like the fit and the type you're thinking about.
Like Reply
(09-26-2023, 04:19 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: For me, it's not this year, but rather next summer - two of our young 'uns, expiring contracts, and three first for Mikal Bridges.

I hope they sign Green to a extension.   Frankly, I will be disappointed if they are not pushing for a MLE level extension pretty hard.  But this year is huge for him.   I think we will have an answer on him pretty soon.   Does he start?  Is he finishing most games?  Does he lose minutes to Hardaway late in games?   If those questions do not come to his favor, it doesn't mean he won't be here for a while, but it probably means this team looks for a higher tier wing to be a starter.  And with a young rookie waiting in the wings, you wonder if Green could be pushed out.    Let me be clear though, I want him starting and closing most games.   I would like to see a good 30-40 game run for him in this role.  

Bridges would be ideal.   Although, he is going to get a monster trade if he is ever moved.   Things can change, but I think the Nets want to use Mikal as one of the best #2 in the leagues when they look to make their next trade with all their draft picks.   

OG?  Siakam?  Grant in Portland? Ayton?  I don't think we have the assets for OG.  Probably not Siakam.   Not sure I would touch the Grant contract right now.
Like Reply
(09-26-2023, 03:40 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Just for fun before pre-season starts, lets discuss your favorite target for the last piece (hopefully).  Let say the mavs start the season well, who would your ideal realistic target be now?

Let’s assume the package include Green or Hardy, Hardaway salary filler and a first round pick (maybe a pick swap too).   So who would be your ideal target be?

A very good question.

I think Mavs need two pieces. A wing and a center, because I just don't believe Lively will be anywhere near a convincing center for a contender in next two seasons. But, I would go for a stop-gap center which shouldn't be very expensive, so I will take it out of your equation. 

Bridges mentioned before would be great, but I think he will have a superstar level price, and so doesn't fit the equation at all. Mavs filled the PF spot with GW and it is difficult to assume they would move on so quickly if they play well, so basically the hole is at the SG spot. I think the perfect player for that role would be an all NBA defender. My ideal target would be Smart, but he is very unlikely to be available. Second one is Jrue, another one who is very unlikely to be available (although Giannins did made some threatening statements and who knows what future is for Milwaukee with that aging core). This brings me to OG Anunoby. I think he could play the point of attack defender and he is a player that controls his destiny. I think Toronto missed a chance to sell really high and it is now down to a list of teams Anunoby wants to go to and resign there. Unless Toronto makes a huge splash with someone like Lillard.

But, if I move on a bit from criteria that you set, the player I would actually look to move would be Kyrie. I think it will be very difficult to make Luka-Kyrie thing work to a contender level. He is also older and doesn't really fit the timeline, not to mention the risk of his unavailability for whatever reason. Kyrie (plus stuff) for any great two way wing and a 6th man creator would make this team really good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(09-26-2023, 07:26 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I hope they sign Green to a extension.   Frankly, I will be disappointed if they are not pushing for a MLE level extension pretty hard.  But this year is huge for him.   I think we will have an answer on him pretty soon.   Does he start?  Is he finishing most games?  Does he lose minutes to Hardaway late in games?   If those questions do not come to his favor, it doesn't mean he won't be here for a while, but it probably means this team looks for a higher tier wing to be a starter.  And with a young rookie waiting in the wings, you wonder if Green could be pushed out.    Let me be clear though, I want him starting and closing most games.   I would like to see a good 30-40 game run for him in this role.  

Bridges would be ideal.   Although, he is going to get a monster trade if he is ever moved.   Things can change, but I think the Nets want to use Mikal as one of the best #2 in the leagues when they look to make their next trade with all their draft picks.   

OG?  Siakam?  Grant in Portland? Ayton?  I don't think we have the assets for OG.  Probably not Siakam.   Not sure I would touch the Grant contract right now.

Gimme the other Bridges on a bargain contract.
Like Reply
(09-26-2023, 08:37 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Gimme the other Bridges on a bargain contract.

Your interest in wife beating players is strange.
Like Reply
(09-26-2023, 09:03 PM)mvossman Wrote: Your interest in wife beating players is strange.

I kinda like thrift stores.

Most people have a few flaws.
Like Reply
(09-26-2023, 03:40 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Just for fun before pre-season starts, lets discuss your favorite target for the last piece (hopefully).  Let say the mavs start the season well, who would your ideal realistic target be now?

Good thought provoking question.  My answer, at least for now (and at that price) is no one.  Kind of shocking as I typically love me some fantasy trading.  Part of my answer is based on the idea we could take a bigger swing next summer.

But, the main thing is that I believe the idealized version of Prosper, Lively and Green 'could' eliminate the need for such a trade.  So, I want to see all three of them this next season to see if the idealized version of each is possible and hopefully get a better idea what a timetable might look like.  Here is what I mean...

OG's name comes up a lot.  I think there is some chance we have our OG on this roster already. The D and length with OMax are probably already where they were with OG when he first came into the league.  It isn't like OG set the world on fire offensively to start his career.  He didn't take double digit shot attempts until his 4th season.  So, I'm not ready to give up anything of significance to get OG if we already have a younger version.

The same is true of Lively.  I presume he's further away from the current versions of the centers we talk about so much.  But, I also think he's got a shot at being better than most of them.  We just need to see him in action and just as importantly, watch him progress through the season.

I also think the idealized version of Green is basically Bridges.  He used to draw comparisons to Iggy when Green couldn't hit 3's.  But, Iggy never came close to hitting 40% of his 3's.  Green just played his age 22 season.  Mikal's age 22 season was his rookie year.  

At 22, Green was 9.1 points, 3.0 boards, 1.7 assists and 25.7 minutes per game with a TS% of .645.  
At 22, Mikal was 8.3 points, 3.2 boards, 2.1 assists and 29.5 minutes per game with a TS% of .556.

Mikal was only 9.1 points his age 23 season (the upcoming season for Green) and had six-point-something FG attempts at age 22 and 23 just like Josh did at age 22.  I don't think Josh has the defensive upside that Bridges has, but the offensive progression for the first four seasons is certainly possible (I don't think anyone saw Bridges becoming a 26 point a game player).  

I realize waiting probably means Luka probably doesn't get a a WCF appearance again this season.  We should be more fun to watch and may even pile up some wins.  But, the playoffs are a different beast and I hold no hope these three will be ready to be major players by then.  I think the best possible version of Dallas is a lineup that includes Lively, OMax, Luka, Green and Kyrie as starters meaning two of those guys became good enough to push Williams to the bench.  I'm willing to be patient this season if there is any chance that patience is rewarded with such an outcome.  The good news is if one of the three disappoints, we have the ammunition to upgrade that spot starting next summer.
[-] The following 5 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, mvossman
Like Reply
(09-26-2023, 10:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Good thought provoking question.  My answer, at least for now (and at that price) is no one.  Kind of shocking as I typically love me some fantasy trading.  Part of my answer is based on the idea we could take a bigger swing next summer.

But, the main thing is that I believe the idealized version of Prosper, Lively and Green 'could' eliminate the need for such a trade.  So, I want to see all three of them this next season to see if the idealized version of each is possible and hopefully get a better idea what a timetable might look like.  Here is what I mean...

OG's name comes up a lot.  I think there is some chance we have our OG on this roster already. The D and length with OMax are probably already where they were with OG when he first came into the league.  It isn't like OG set the world on fire offensively to start his career.  He didn't take double digit shot attempts until his 4th season.  So, I'm not ready to give up anything of significance to get OG if we already have a younger version.

The same is true of Lively.  I presume he's further away from the current versions of the centers we talk about so much.  But, I also think he's got a shot at being better than most of them.  We just need to see him in action and just as importantly, watch him progress through the season.

I also think the idealized version of Green is basically Bridges.  He used to draw comparisons to Iggy when Green couldn't hit 3's.  But, Iggy never came close to hitting 40% of his 3's.  Green just played his age 22 season.  Mikal's age 22 season was his rookie year.  

At 22, Green was 9.1 points, 3.0 boards, 1.7 assists and 25.7 minutes per game with a TS% of .645.  
At 22, Mikal was 8.3 points, 3.2 boards, 2.1 assists and 29.5 minutes per game with a TS% of .556.

Mikal was only 9.1 points his age 23 season (the upcoming season for Green) and had six-point-something FG attempts at age 22 and 23 just like Josh did at age 22.  I don't think Josh has the defensive upside that Bridges has, but the offensive progression for the first four seasons is certainly possible (I don't think anyone saw Bridges becoming a 26 point a game player).  

I realize waiting probably means Luka probably doesn't get a a WCF appearance again this season.  We should be more fun to watch and may even pile up some wins.  But, the playoffs are a different beast and I hold no hope these three will be ready to be major players by then.  I think the best possible version of Dallas is a lineup that includes Lively, OMax, Luka, Green and Kyrie as starters meaning two of those guys became good enough to push Williams to the bench.  I'm willing to be patient this season if there is any chance that patience is rewarded with such an outcome.  The good news is if one of the three disappoints, we have the ammunition to upgrade that spot starting next summer.

I am with every word of this, but I guess I’m the only person here excited about Grant Williams. I think they just signed someone who could be the next PJ Tucker, only in his 20’s and already much more useful on offense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(09-26-2023, 10:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I am with every word of this, but I guess I’m the only person here excited about Grant Williams. I think they just signed someone who could be the next PJ Tucker, only in his 20’s and already much more useful on offense.

Yeah, that comment wasn't designed to be a diss to GWill.  I like the signing too.  But, I think the idealized version of OMax passes him.  If the idealized version of Josh can pass him too, then we really have something.  More of a measuring stick comment than a put down of Williams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(09-26-2023, 10:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I am with every word of this, but I guess I’m the only person here excited about Grant Williams. I think they just signed someone who could be the next PJ Tucker, only in his 20’s and already much more useful on offense.
You are not alone on GWill. I’m pretty excited to see him integrate into this team. I really hope it goes as well as I think it will and turns the attitude of the team as a whole in a way that brings a healthy amount of dog to the fight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
So as far as my answer to the question. I get hung up on when you say, the team is doing well. If the team is doing well, that means alot of the question marks are being checked off on the positive side. If that is the case, no trade is needed. Only reason I want a trade is cause I think what we have will more than likely not start us off well. I don’t like going into training camp with so many questions which is also why I wanted a trade for a legit starting C in the offseason, so he could integrate with the team and figure out how he’ll help before games actually matter. Now that that is almost assuredly not going to happen, I’ll hope like hell that things go well throughout the season and into the offseason (edit: postseason).

I do think the Eason target would be amazing, if we are getting him for really cheap (having to take on KPJ’s contract for a year) he would really help the youth movement and defensive identity. It could also however, tilt a bit heavy on the defensive side if his 3 doesn’t develop further.
Like Reply
Grant Williams definitely deserves more hype, but can you blame the original OMax merchant? I love every move they have made.

I look at a great championship team like the Nuggets and I can picture our guys growing into the level of their guys. Throw in some team chemistry and the future is bright.

Jokic - Luka can reach that level
Murray - Kyrie is better than him
Gordon - Grant can reach that level
KCP - Green can reach that level
MPJ - Hardy is going to be better than him
Brown - OMax is going to blow him out of the water

Lively will be better than Braun and Jeff Green combined. We've also got a few other players who could be in a playoff rotation depending on if they are still on the team at the time of the title run. This is going to happen faster than you all expect. They could make noise in the playoffs this year and the window will officially be open the year after. Consider this me tattooing the Larry O'Brian on my ass.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 2 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • DallasMaverick, mvossman
Like Reply