Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIBA Qualifying Tournament: USA loses to Germany|Gold medal between Germany+Serbia
Seems like US is again playing zero defense. Germany at 104 points (and 10 point lead) with 6 minutes to go.
Like Reply
Get these NBA scrubs out of here. Andreas Obst is the real MVP. Who cares if I didn´t know his name prior to todays game.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • MFFL, WillE
Like Reply
Congrats to Germany. And we have European finals, despite odds were we would be watching Canada vs US
Like Reply
After watching the last few elimination games I really wonder why any team would sign NBA end of the bench vets like Morris or McGee. There is so much talent available.
Like Reply
(09-08-2023, 09:35 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Get these NBA scrubs out of here. Andreas Obst is the real MVP. Who cares if I didn´t know his name prior to todays game.
As a german I know him for a long time and this sure was one of the best games of his career. But after all he only did what he usually does, just on a high level.

Team USA gave him room and he made them pay. Now I'm wondering if some NBA team will offer him a contract...
Like Reply
(09-08-2023, 08:54 AM)omahen Wrote: Wow, Germany has a 5 point lead despite US shooting 50 % from three. Germany not much worse at 47 %. I am not watching the game, but looking at stats it seems US has great problem at center, even against an average one like Theiss.
Well, Theis didn't seem that average after all. I'd say he could be a legit rotation player for any team.

And the truth is, Germany wouldn't be there without him. He couldn't be compensated.
Like Reply
I more surprised that Canada lost, tbh. I thought they had it in the bag (says the guy who didn't watch one minute of play and only listened to the experts talk).
Like Reply
(09-08-2023, 11:31 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I more surprised that Canada lost, tbh. I thought they had it in the bag (says the guy who didn't watch one minute of play and only listened to the experts talk).

In a way the experts nailed it. Canada vs US playing for glory...in the bronze medal match.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(09-08-2023, 11:33 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: In a way the experts nailed it. Canada vs US playing for glory...in the bronze medal match.

Go Canada! Go Dwight's FACE!
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(09-08-2023, 11:31 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I more surprised that Canada lost, tbh. I thought they had it in the bag (says the guy who didn't watch one minute of play and only listened to the experts talk).
I did watch all oft Germany, including preparation games against them and knew they were beatable. Yet I'm still surprised by Serbia. I need to watch them now until Sunday to be prepared =)
Like Reply
(09-08-2023, 11:26 AM)WillE Wrote: Well, Theis didn't seem that average after all. I'd say he could be a legit rotation player for any team.

And the truth is, Germany wouldn't be there without him. He couldn't be compensated.

Perhaps I didn't set criteria well enough. Legit rotation player is average. Team USA are mostly supposed to be well above average players.
Like Reply
How big of a story would it be if something like this happens in game 7 of the WCFs?

https://twitter.com/HoopsNation_1/status...0693348468
Like Reply
(09-08-2023, 12:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: How big of a story would it be if something like this happens in game 7 of the WCFs?

AI stepping over Ty Lue or Luka dropping Cam Johnson are remembered fondly for me. 

But to do something like that in a game 7 of the finals/WCF in a close game would definitely be remembered as lore for the rest of the players career. How big of a story it'd be depends on who the guys are. If Steph does it to Lebron we'd never hear the end of it. 

Tyus Jones doing it to Admiral Schofield and I think the story dies after a couple of hours.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(09-08-2023, 12:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: How big of a story would it be if something like this happens in game 7 of the WCFs?

Good question.

To me, that's the game breaker - biggest shot of the game. Thus it should be considered as one of the most important shots in Germany's NT history. So already quite a story.

The only thing is german basketball media is rather small.
Like Reply
(09-08-2023, 02:44 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: But to do something like that in a game 7 of the finals/WCF in a close game would definitely be remembered as lore for the rest of the players career. How big of a story it'd be depends on who the guys are.
If Germany goes on to win this whole thing, IT will forever be connected to Andi Obst shooting over Tyrese Haliburton.

Probably the most important shot of his career.
Like Reply
(09-08-2023, 02:46 PM)WillE Wrote: Good question.

To me, that's the game breaker - biggest shot of the game. Thus it should be considered as one of the most important shots in Germany's NT history. So already quite a story.

The only thing is german basketball media is rather small.

That whole sequence is nuts. Bonga possibly with the block of the tournament, coming out of nowhere, on the next USA possession and then Schroeder calmly drains it from mid-range.

Also fans talk about Banchero picking Team USA over Italy. Reaves turned down Germany.  Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • WillE
Like Reply
(09-08-2023, 11:26 AM)WillE Wrote: Well, Theis didn't seem that average after all. I'd say he could be a legit rotation player for any team.

Isn't he still on the Pacers roster? I don't know if he was hurt, but he didn't play much last season.
Like Reply
(09-09-2023, 02:55 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Isn't he still on the Pacers roster? I don't know if he was hurt, but he didn't play much last season.
He was hurt and didn't play much all year. But now he's showing the best version of him ever.

Pacers should probably sell high and move him now if they prefer to play the younger players over him.
Like Reply
(09-08-2023, 03:39 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: That whole sequence is nuts. Bonga possibly with the block of the tournament, coming out of nowhere, on the next USA possession and then Schroeder calmly drains it from mid-range.

Also fans talk about Banchero picking Team USA over Italy. Reaves turned down Germany.  Tongue
True, these three posessions basically decided the game.

Also Reaves' last try from three wasn't a good shot. Thus even Obst's last miss before was a good one as it lead to Reaves taking that shot. While he had to in that moment, they failed already before as they didn't intend to create a better look.

He probably would have played for Obst, so who knows how that game would have turned out...

From what I know, he didn't even answer the Germans coach message. So this tournament sure turned out not exactly as he hoped for.
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillE's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Damn Bridges just intentionally missed a FT, grabbed his own off. rebound and nailed a fallaway three to send the game to OT with 0.2 seconds left.

They put 0.6 back on clock, and Olynyk nearly makes it from midcourt. Now it´s officially OT.
Like Reply