Poll: WHO GETS THE DIRKIE???
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DJJ (12pts, 3rbd, 1ast, 3blk, +20)
16.67%
6 16.67%
PJ (2pts, 5rbd, 2ast, 1blk, +13)
0%
0 0%
Gafford (8pts, 5rbd, 1stl, 1blk, +8)
0%
0 0%
Kyrie (14pts, 4rbd, 6ast, 2stl, +35)
2.78%
1 2.78%
Luka (35pts, 7rbd, 10ast, 1stl, +28)
30.56%
11 30.56%
Maxi (15pts, 3rbd, 1ast, 5-7 from 3!, +17)
50.00%
18 50.00%
Green (4pts, 2rbd, 1stl, +4)
0%
0 0%
DLive (12pts, 7rbd, 1ast, 1blk, +24)
0%
0 0%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 5 PLAYOFFS DIRKIE: MAXI THE WURZBURG DEFENDER!!!!
(05-02-2024, 12:15 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I went with Luka. After the last game I thought we'd have bum knee Luka the rest of the playoffs. How did he play like that?

After sleeping on this, here are my thoughts:

Luka couldn't just have an MJ, Kobe, Dirk like flu game. That's not dramatic enough. And it's been done before. He had to one up the greats by having a flu and sprained knee game. 

In fact, he should have started in the locker room and then limped out from the tunnel to enter the game a few minutes into the first quarter. It would have been so cool that even the Clippers fans would have stood and cheered. 

I mean, think about how long they've had to cheer for villains. Luka might turn the Clippers crowd like Rocky turned the Russians.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 11:32 AM)fifteenth Wrote: After sleeping on this, here are my thoughts:

Luka couldn't just have an MJ, Kobe, Dirk like flu game. That's not dramatic enough. And it's been done before. He had to one up the greats by having a flu and sprained knee game. 

In fact, he should have started in the locker room and then limped out from the tunnel to enter the game a few minutes into the first quarter. It would have been so cool that even the Clippers fans would have stood and cheered. 

I mean, think about how long they've had to cheer for villains. Luka might turn the Clippers crowd like Rocky turned the Russians.

I prefer Luka's way of dealing with stuff like this over the Pierce/Wade drama queen approach.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Arioch, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Sometimes I think this award never goes to Luka unless he plays out of this world or nobody else has a decent game.
Like Reply
Before I read this I’m giving my vote to Playoff Kleber. Talk about unexpected elevation of his game. He wasn’t beyond playing his best after all.
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 12:01 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: This was a cathartic game for. I was mentally broken after game 4. The rollercoaster of going down 31, coming back miraculously, and then losing in a tragic fashion really made me depressed.

But this game was a new game. The Mavs bounced back. They bounce back hard.  They seemed to wipe the slate clean and came out locked in and focused. They were relentless on D. They attacked every loose ball. They fought over every screen. They wanted this game and they took it. Great game by the Mavs. I love these kinds of Dirkie threads because you can give it to anyone and you wouldn't be wrong.

Gafford was ok tonight. He was outshone tonight by Lively. But he had a lot of energy plays and he kept fighting for rebounds all night. He also nearly took Zubac's soul.

PJ had one of his quietest games of the series. Only 2 points on the night with some pretty bad clanks from 3. Also a heart breaking floater that just didn't bounce in. But did this deter PJ? Not at all. He was aggressive all night and had a highlight assist to DLive to put the Clips away for good. His defense has been the most striking thing this entire series and this game was no different. It wasn't his best game, but he did the right things that the team needed for them to win. Good game PJ.

Green had a crazy momentum killing 4pt play that destroyed any and all hope the Clippers had going into the 4th. He also hustled all night. Solid game from Green.

Dereck Lively. MAN! WHAT A DIFFERENCE MAKER! He was an enforcer tonight. He switched and rotated impeccably. He finished and attacked the short roll (could've even had some more if he was more aggressive!). His rim defense was apparent. He had a massive stuff on Westbrook that brought me to my feet. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't believe this dude is a rookie. He's too good to be a rook. Great game from DLive.

Kyrie freaking Irving. Talk about a killer. He is a winner through and through. You could see him all night call out defensive sets, made sure guys were in the right spots, and got deflection after deflection. He was everywhere tonight defensively. He took the responsibility for picking up Harden to start the game and for most possessions, and Harden had a stinker. Irving was a big reason why. Offensively, his game tonight shows that the box score doesn't show everything. Every single one of his shots were daggers in the hearts of the Clippers. He was unstoppable and the Mavs with him tonight looked it.

Speaking of bounce back, LUKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BACKS AGAINST THE WALL, BUM KNEE, SICK, IT DIDN'T MATTER! WHAT A FUCKING GAME FROM THE DON!!!!!!!!! 35/7/10!!! He showed up REAL big tonight. He almost single-handedly put the Clips away in the 3rd. Defensively he was active and hustled. You can see his movement is limited and he doesn't have the same lift on his jumpers. The dude put together a masterclass playing at what he called only 50%! The funny thing is, Luka dropping 70/14/20 is not a crazy thing and has already been close to happening!! What really stood out to me was as soon as Luka got his final and-1 to put him at 35 you could see him tell everyone on the court, bench, even the crowd, ONE MORE GAME! I love it. Great game Luka!

Now to my finalists for the Dirkie. DJJ and Maxi. Seriously a toss up. DJJ was by far and away our most impactful defender tonight. He was the major reason why the Clippers couldn't score for half a quarter at a time. He had one possession where Russ was coming down and Kyrie took the foul, DJJ still flew in and knocked him into the stands just to remind him it won't be that easy. That kind of aggression is what is needed to win. DJJ brought it tonight. He brought it all night. Offensively he hit 2 big corner 3s when no one could buy anything from outside. He had some great poster dunks too.

But honestly, when it comes down to it, I think I have to give it to Maxi. When no one could hit a 3, Maxi stepped up and hit one after another after another after another. He was lethal. HE was so clutch. He was the primary reason why the Mavs pulled away initially. His defense was another primary reason why the Mavs maintained their lead. He was by far and away the biggest guy outside of Luka and Kyrie tonight. DESERVING DIRKIE FOR MAXI!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SPIRIT OF WURZBURG IS STILL WITH DALLAS!

ONE MORE GAME MAVS. COME OUT. BE READY. KNOCK THEM IN THE JAW AND TAKE THIS SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE LUKA SAID, ONE MORE GAME!!!!

How can this post not have more likes. Great job!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reunion Mav's post:
  • Letsgomavs20
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 11:45 AM)MFFL Wrote: Sometimes I think this award never goes to Luka unless he plays out of this world or nobody else has a decent game.

I voted Luka. I thought he controlled the game and played good defense. Even injured. His 3rd quarter essentially shut door. And he needed a bounce back game. Other guys DJJ, Maxi, Lively were huge too. But they are on offense because of Luka. All were great though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 11:42 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I prefer Luka's way of dealing with stuff like this over the Pierce/Wade drama queen approach.

Me too! But you don't mind if I hype Luka, right?
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
@GrantAfseth
Kyrie Irving on his mindset entering Game 5: "It was just taking what the defense was giving me and also understanding that a lot of my energy was going to be poured into the defensive end, so just wanted to start off the game giving myself something easy and get my teammates that confidence that we’re attacking them all night...”

@GrantAfseth
P.J. Washington on Kyrie Irving's aggressiveness early: “When Kyrie is aggressive, it’s great for our team. He’s our leader. He’s been here before, and he’s doing a great job leading us to the Promised Land."
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply