Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead part of offseason, what do you think is the worst/best trade in Mavs history
An underrated one to bring up would be when we traded Dale Ellis for Al Wood. Ouch

Aguirre for Dantley was pretty bad

We traded Ro for a draft pick that turned out to be Loren Meyer, that might take the cake

I remember the returns we got for Harper and Mashburn were pretty poor as well. 

Looking back on it the Mavs have a long history of bad trades that go well before the Rondo or either KP trade

The best one is either the trade we made for Tyson or for Terry, if you don't count draft day trades (you know just the trades I'm talking about)
Like Reply
In terms of immediate impact, that trade for TY was pretty significant.

I’ve always been partial to the deal with Denver for Van Exel, Lafrentz and others. It was just huge, and one of the first of its kind. Those mammoth, high dollar, multi-player blockbusters really weren’t happening so much back then.
Like Reply
I realize you were not asking for draft day trades, but its kind of crazy how important those have been for this franchise in both directions. Obviously the Dirk and Luka trades, but also the Olynk trade when Donnie was begging Cuban to get Giannis, but Cuban wanted a "win now" player. Donnie had a lot of faults, but he did have a good eye for European talents. I'm starting to think Nico might have a knack for finding draft talent, and Lindsey has made a world of different on how they operate in trades. This is going way off topic, but I actually have some hope for this FO.
Like Reply
Eric Montross trade was epically bad.
Like Reply
The obvious ones are for Dirk, Nash, and Luka.

But for fun I really do think an underrated one would be for Shawn Marion. I remember it being very complicated at the time.

The trade:
TOR: Antoine Wright, Deven George, and Hedo Turkoglu

DAL: Marion SnT to Mavs for 5yr/38mil+Kris Humphries

MEM: Money+Stackhouse (who will later get bought out).

Orlando: gets a TPE for sending Hedo for free.

This trade has so many little interesting tidbits. The Mavs were very creative here where Stackhouse was traded to Toronto and then subsequently traded to Memphis for him to get bought out. They also finally traded George, who not but 1 year earlier almost killed the trade for bringing Kidd back to Dallas because he had a no trade clause. And it was because of George the Mavs exploited an insane loophole using Van Horn's rights (even though he was retired) to make it happen.

Further, just in terms of talent acquisition:
Stackhouse was on his last legs, didn't really fit well since JET was the ideal 6th man and Kidd was the lead guard. And he fell out of the rotation.
George barely played and he was ass.
Wright was ok but honestly was a whatever player

For freaking Shawn Marion.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(07-24-2023, 02:07 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: The obvious ones are for Dirk, Nash, and Luka.

But for fun I really do think an underrated one would be for Shawn Marion. I remember it being very complicated at the time.

The trade:
TOR: Antoine Wright, Deven George, and Hedo Turkoglu

DAL: Marion SnT to Mavs for 5yr/38mil+Kris Humphries

MEM: Money+Stackhouse (who will later get bought out).

Orlando: gets a TPE for sending Hedo for free.

This trade has so many little interesting tidbits. The Mavs were very creative here where Stackhouse was traded to Toronto and then subsequently traded to Memphis for him to get bought out. They also finally traded George, who not but 1 year earlier almost killed the trade for bringing Kidd back to Dallas because he had a no trade clause. And it was because of George the Mavs exploited an insane loophole using Van Horn's rights (even though he was retired) to make it happen.

Further, just in terms of talent acquisition:
Stackhouse was on his last legs, didn't really fit well since JET was the ideal 6th man and Kidd was the lead guard. And he fell out of the rotation.
George barely played and he was ass.
Wright was ok but honestly was a whatever player

For freaking Shawn Marion.

Sign and trade. More of a free agency win, in my book. The hardest part of that equation was convincing Marion to sign here. Great and impactful move, though.
Like Reply
(07-24-2023, 10:48 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sign and trade. More of a free agency win, in my book. The hardest part of that equation was convincing Marion to sign here. Great and impactful move, though.

Yeah, for DAL that trade (which on paper was crazy) was almost entirely a case of adding Marion via sign-and-trade. TOR didn't want SM any more, and really didn't want the return salary from a snt.  But DAL had Stackhouse with a partially guaranteed expiring salary ($2M guarantee, with total salary being $7M), so Stackhouse + cash could make it all possible. From there it was just a matter of trying to maximize opportunity for the teams involved.

It ended up as a 4-teamer, where JS went to MEM in the trade, not TOR, and ORL was added into the deal too (trading Hedo to TOR for cash), with several other players tossed into the deal here and there.
Like Reply
I've actually been working on a long, detailed thread similar to this with but different. It'll have links to old articles. Should be a 'good read'.
[-] The following 2 users Like RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • MrGoat, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Have been a Mavs fan since 2008, so can't comment on older trades despite reading about them.
I would say TC was best trade (outside the draft) by some margin.
Worst is Rondo, although KP trade likely have a bigger effect on the Franchise history
Like Reply
(07-25-2023, 06:44 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Worst is Rondo

Man, the rest of that season did suck.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • dmavs4life03
Like Reply
(07-25-2023, 06:44 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Have been a Mavs fan since 2008, so can't comment on older trades despite reading about them.

You don't need to have been there to comment on how terrible the Dale Ellis trade was. Taking a fresh look at it I think it actually is the worst one

We traded a guy who immediately became a 25+ PPG scorer and one of the greatest shooters in NBA history for a guy who was out of the league the year after we traded for him

Not to mention the team we traded him to, the Sonics, knocked us out of the playoffs in the first round the next season with Ellis as their leading scorer to add further insult to injury

And that was a straight up trade. No draft picks involved or anything like that
Like Reply
(07-25-2023, 07:30 PM)MrGoat Wrote: You don't need to have been there to comment on how terrible the Dale Ellis trade was. Taking a fresh look at it I think it actually is the worst one

We traded a guy who immediately became a 25+ PPG scorer and one of the greatest shooters in NBA history for a guy who was out of the league the year after we traded for him

Not to mention the team we traded him to, the Sonics, knocked us out of the playoffs in the first round the next season with Ellis as their leading scorer to add further insult to injury

And that was a straight up trade. No draft picks involved or anything like that

Before my time! I have no idea who Dale Ellis even is! Was this part of the moody madness era?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • HIMAV
Like Reply
(07-26-2023, 02:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Before my time! I have no idea who Dale Ellis even is! Was this part of the moody madness era?

I'd have to check the dates. But Ellis was in the 80s for us, his best years were with the Sonics although he had a long career. He was a lottery pick but had a hard time ever getting minutes with us because we had Ro and Aguirre already manning the wing spots and Dick Motta didn't seem to like him (we had Detlef Schrempf rotting on the bench too at one point, the 80s Mavs really knew how to draft). Ellis ended up driving Motta out of town after demolishing us in the playoffs in his first season with Seattle, we had a new coach to start the next season after that. Hilariously, Motta ended up coaching Ellis again years later in Denver

Dale Ellis was a Reggie Miller caliber type of shooter and player but he was also kind of a dick, had legal troubles, and was terrible with the media so he wasn't fondly remembered as a player even though he was fantastic on the court which is probably why you haven't heard of him. He was the first player in NBA history to have 1000 career 3s.
[-] The following 3 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • HIMAV, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I always hated that he did great in SEA.
Like Reply
(07-25-2023, 06:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Man, the rest of that season did suck.

I always wonder how that would have turned out if we just rolled with Jameer Nelson.  The team vibes were great before that trade and the offense was incredible.  Parsons getting (being perpetually*) hurt also wasn't great for that roster.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Odom trade yet.
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • KillerLeft, MrGoat
Like Reply
(07-31-2023, 12:21 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I always wonder how that would have turned out if we just rolled with Jameer Nelson.  The team vibes were great before that trade and the offense was incredible.  Parsons getting (being perpetually*) hurt also wasn't great for that roster.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Odom trade yet.

Agree with the Nelson part. That offense was amazing. 

I'm tempted to say there was an unfixable dark cloud over that 2012 team no matter how well Odom worked out due to letting Chandler and Barea walk. Before I do, remind me: what went out in that deal?
Like Reply
(07-31-2023, 08:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agree with the Nelson part. That offense was amazing. 

I'm tempted to say there was an unfixable dark cloud over that 2012 team no matter how well Odom worked out due to letting Chandler and Barea walk. Before I do, remind me: what went out in that deal?
It was Odom and an LA 2012 SRP for a TPE and Mavs 2012 FRP.
Like Reply
(07-31-2023, 09:05 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: It was Odom and an LA 2012 SRP for a TPE and Mavs 2012 FRP.

You know, I'm not trying to let them off the hook for not doing their due diligence and discovering he was a drug addict at the time. Seriously, I think they should've figured that out. But, once you get past that, if they were actually getting the version of Lamar Odom they THOUGHT they were, that's a pretty damn good trade.
Like Reply
(07-31-2023, 09:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You know, I'm not trying to let them off the hook for not doing their due diligence and discovering he was a drug addict at the time. Seriously, I think they should've figured that out. But, once you get past that, if they were actually getting the version of Lamar Odom they THOUGHT they were, that's a pretty damn good trade.

It was a no brainer type of deal. 

On paper Odom would've been huge for the Mavs. Just came off yet another 6 MOTY type of season with 15/9/3 and his fit next to Dirk would've been huge.

But alas he was on CRACK. Not sure how the Mavs could've figured that out without someone in the Lakers org or close to Odom telling them, so I don't fault them at all in making this deal. Odom torpedoed that season on his own, regardless of losing Barea+Chandler (though it hurt so much watching Ian Mahinmi trot out there...).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-25-2023, 06:44 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Have been a Mavs fan since 2008, so can't comment on older trades despite reading about them.
I would say TC was best trade (outside the draft) by some margin.
Worst is Rondo, although KP trade likely have a bigger effect on the Franchise history

Talk about an underperforming team. There is no doubt in my mind that the 2014-15 Mavs could've made a run if Rondo didn't quit (and if Rick actually tried to make it work).

Rondo/Barea/Felton
Monta/Harris
Parsons/Jefferson
Dirk/Aminu/Charlie V. 
Tyson/Amare Stoudemire/Powell

That starting 5 talent wise was so good. The bench was deep and though lacking a bit defensively, made up for in experience. 

Could've definitely given any team in the playoffs a run for their money had Rondo been Rondo.
Like Reply