Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olivier-Maxence Prosper will be a defensive ace for the Mavs!
But he almost never made it here. Portland selected the player the Kings wanted so the Kings pivoted away to trade the pick.

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2023/...aft-rumor/
Like Reply
The thing about Prosper is that he feels like a more seasoned player than a few others in the first round. He developed his perimeter shooting during college where his 3-point stats went from .117 to .317 to .339.

You would hope that three years of college and NBA preparation programs would prepare him better for a rookie season. Plus, everything he says makes me think his head is in just the right spot to be an early contributor.
Like Reply
Finally got to watch a couple of Summer League games on tape. Honestly OMax reminds me more of The Matrix than DFS. They didn't run a single play for him but you look up and he put up 17/10/3. He's a Tasmanian Devil on defense, all arms and legs flying all over the place. It remains to be seen if his shot will translate to the big league, but he does all the things you look for in a high-end role player. I predict he's an instant fan favorite. Absent injury or a trade that brings in a veteran 3/4, he could force his way to 1000+ minutes this year.
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft
Like Reply
OMax is the real prize of this draft. Jeeez louise. The guy can flat out defend. He also showed tonight he's actually more than just a spot up shooter?? He put it down on the floor multiple times. Even took it coast to coast. Sure he didn't convert. He also seems to have the balance of a newborn baby giraffe. It's just the fact he's willing to do those things, and look good doing it, made me excited.

I seriously think we'll be discussing Omax starting over Grant Williams later this season. Dude seems built for this.

Side note, some of his landings scare the crap out of me. He flails his legs. He needs to work on that to avoid serious injuries.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 01:13 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: He also seems to have the balance of a newborn baby giraffe. 

Baby Giraffe should definitely be his nickname. Maybe Baby Giraffe on Ice Skates. Super disruptive though. Tremendous effort guy and he made winning plays at the end. I'll clarify he's certainly no Matrix yet -- but at that size, and with that heart, he'll see 16+ MGP in 65 games and be a rotation player by the end of the year. If he can make shots consistently he could find a lot more time.
Like Reply
Standout player on the summer league roster. And it´s not about the stuff that shows up in the boxscore. That´s a bonus.
More about stuff that tends to go unnoticed. When everyone else is ball watching after the shot goes up OMax is getting in position for the boxout (really stands out compared to the rest of the team). His closeouts are never out of control. He doesn´t leave his feet. Doesn´t fall for pump fakes. As a help defender or in the pick and roll he is doing enough to slow down the ballhandler but stays in position to recover. Taking away easy kick out 3s after dribble penetration.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 09:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Standout player on the summer league roster. And it´s not about the stuff that shows up in the boxscore. That´s a bonus.
More about stuff that tends to go unnoticed. When everyone else is ball watching after the shot goes up OMax is getting in position for the boxout (really stands out compared to the rest of the team). His closeouts are never out of control. He doesn´t leave his feet. Doesn´t fall for pump fakes. As a help defende or in the pick and roll he is doing enough to slow down the ballhandler but stays in position to recover. Taking away easy kick out 3s after dribble penetration.

Yeah watching the games without any idea who they were, you'd think Omax was the 2nd year rotation player on the team
Like Reply
He's not a strong, but the way he is able to stay in his defense stance and stick to offensive players reminds me a lot of...

[Image: defense-larry-bird.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 12:27 PM)cow Wrote: He's not a strong, but the way he is able to stay in his defense stance and stick to offensive players reminds me a lot of...

That's a pretty good comparison. Although I think Omax is a bit more jittery with his feet. If Rodman wasn't crazy I'd ask Cuban to hire him as a personal defensive teacher for Omax.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 01:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That's a pretty good comparison. Although I think Omax is a bit more jittery with his feet. If Rodman wasn't crazy I'd ask Cuban to hire him as a personal defensive teacher for Omax.

Also keep in mind that O'Max doesn't have the advantage of hand checking.  Rodman was a hell of an athlete and I think people forget how good he was on the perimeter in is early/DPOY days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 12:27 PM)cow Wrote: He's not a strong, but the way he is able to stay in his defense stance and stick to offensive players reminds me a lot of...

Good comp. He's a better shooter out of the gate for sure. But he has a long way to go to even reach Rodman's resume, especially rebounding. Rodman won 7 straight rebounding titles.  One of the best ever.
Like Reply
(07-17-2023, 09:17 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Good comp. He's a better shooter out of the gate for sure. But he has a long way to go to even reach Rodman's resume, especially rebounding. Rodman won 7 straight rebounding titles.  One of the best ever.

Comparisation is more about young Rodman in Detroit. The best defensive version with good but not great rebounding. Long and quick perimeter defender.
At some point Rodman started to chase rebounds and added weight. Turned into a full time PF. Not as good of a perimeter defender but as stated an all time great rebounder.
After he left Detroit I would argue that at times his focus on rebounding hurt the team defense. Especially in the last few years in Chicago. A little bit like DAJ in Dallas. Not contesting shots because he wasn´t willing to give up his position for the rebound.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(07-17-2023, 09:17 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Good comp. He's a better shooter out of the gate for sure. But he has a long way to go to even reach Rodman's resume, especially rebounding. Rodman won 7 straight rebounding titles.  One of the best ever.

The comparison is more about O'Max's ability to stay attached and bother shooters.   O'Max will not sniff Rodman's rebounding gifts.  Pound for pound, Rodman is the best to ever do it.
Like Reply
(07-17-2023, 09:52 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Comparisation is more about young Rodman in Detroit. The best defensive version with good but not great rebounding. Long and quick perimeter defender.
At some point Rodman started to chase rebounds and added weight. Turned into a full time PF. Not as good of a perimeter defender but as stated an all time great rebounder.
After he left Detroit I would argue that at times his focus on rebounding hurt the team defense. Especially in the last few years in Chicago. A little bit like DAJ in Dallas. Not contesting shots because he wasn´t willing to give up his position for the rebound.

I'd argue that in today's NBA, defensive attachment is far more important than defensive rebounding.

I see a lot of posts talking about what a bad rebounder X player is, and how we need a stud that can get 10 per game.  Like DAJ? Drummond? Enis Kanter?

I'll take Maxi and Prosper, and probably Lively.  Good, mobile defenders who contest shots, switch easily, and stay connected defensively.
[-] The following 3 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • ballsrchr, KillerLeft, RGP1981
Like Reply
Inside Canadian Olivier-Maxence Prosper’s rise to becoming the ‘steal’ of the NBA draft

https://www.thestar.com/sports/basketbal...c305f.html
Like Reply
Bye bye DJJ. I like you as a player, but OMax is probably taking your spot next year, especially with this late season fade.
Like Reply
(03-02-2024, 08:27 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Bye bye DJJ.  I like you as a player, but OMax is probably taking your spot next year, especially with this late season fade.

That dribble pull up Omax did was like a cathartic cleanse. Seeing him do that makes me have so much hope.

If he can take a step next year then the Mavs have a very good starting lineup in Luka Kyrie PJ Omax Lively
Like Reply
(03-02-2024, 01:07 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That dribble pull up Omax did was like a cathartic cleanse. Seeing him do that makes me have so much hope.

If he can take a step next year then the Mavs have a very good starting lineup in Luka Kyrie PJ Omax Lively

I don't think he is quite ready.  I think Luka would murder him out there.  He still looks a little confused or is thinking too much when out there.   Seems very uncertain where to be.   I also think his best position may be PF.   I know positions are blurred though.

I think next year you have to give him some room to spread his wings, but he may not enter the season as a every game player.  That may come as the year goes on.   I think Dallas will look for a wing this offseason to match with Josh.    My hope is by the end of next season, Omax has a solid rotation spot.  It may come later in the season though.  This offseason will be big for him.  He needs to keep on grinding.
Like Reply
I'd be thrilled if he could take Maxi's minutes at some point next season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • mtrot
Like Reply
(03-02-2024, 05:44 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I don't think he is quite ready.  I think Luka would murder him out there.  He still looks a little confused or is thinking too much when out there.   Seems very uncertain where to be.   I also think his best position may be PF.   I know positions are blurred though.

I think next year you have to give him some room to spread his wings, but he may not enter the season as an every game player.  That may come as the year goes on.   I think Dallas will look for a wing this offseason to match with Josh.    My hope is by the end of next season, Omax has a solid rotation spot.  It may come later in the season though.  This offseason will be big for him.  He needs to keep on grinding.

Typically takes 3 years before a rookie contributes much of value.
Like Reply