Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Richaun Holmes - all he contributes is a contract for trading
I might be alone on this island but I think Richaun Holmes can be an effective starting center for us.

Yes he had a REALLY bad year last year. And I know that excuses are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink. But he went through a personal situation that would have floored most of us AND had to deal with a new system that did not utilize his strength as a PnR player.

The dude is only 29 years old and that's when centers are usually coming into their prime years. 

As a side note, giving up his trade kicker was very important to us. $1.8m is a lot of money and he didn't have to do it but it shows his professionalism that he was wanting to help his new team. I hope the Mavs don't trade him - I think he will outplay his contract by a lot.
[-] The following 7 users Like MFFL's post:
  • BigDirk41, Branduil, haveitall, KillerLeft, mvossman, rocky164, Smitty
Like Reply
I’m into the optimism.

If you’re right, it will go a long way towards making this plan work much better. I have decided to hope you’re right.
Like Reply
I think Holmes will have a bounce back year, but I'd rather have him on the second unit. I'm still in the camp that says we should start Lively as he and Maxi are the only defenders that can alter shots and Lively will certainly be the best at that job in a helping role rather than 1-on-1 defense. You need a plus or, -gasp-, neutral defender to start alongside Luka and Kyrie. I just don't think Holmes is that. I think our starting rotation will be some combination of Powell (quickness), Maxi (quickness, some shot blocking), and hopefully Lively (size and shot blocking).
Like Reply
He’ll be just fine. Motivated and selfless. He’s back where he belongs, a PnR team.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 04:45 PM)Tyler Wrote: Hmm...

So the Pelicans need to shed money. And with no Thybulle, Dallas has $10.5mm-ish in space left under the apron. The cost difference between Valanciunas and McGee is just under $10mm. Would the Pelicans trade Val for McGee + 2 2nds?
Aren’t the Pelicans like $5.5M over the 1st apron? If they are getting off of Val, I would think it would need to put them under the apron themselves.

(07-07-2023, 12:51 PM)MFFL Wrote: I might be alone on this island but I think Richaun Holmes can be an effective starting center for us.

Yes he had a REALLY bad year last year. And I know that excuses are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink. But he went through a personal situation that would have floored most of us AND had to deal with a new system that did not utilize his strength as a PnR player.

The dude is only 29 years old and that's when centers are usually coming into their prime years. 

As a side note, giving up his trade kicker was very important to us. $1.8m is a lot of money and he didn't have to do it but it shows his professionalism that he was wanting to help his new team. I hope the Mavs don't trade him - I think he will outplay his contract by a lot.
I try to temper my expectations, but I’m with you on the “can” part. If nothing else I think he is more motivated than ever to be the best version of himself here and we have the system to make him a serviceable C. If that best he can do makes him better than the others, that would be amazing.
Like Reply
I'm sure he got some sort of playing time or starting spot assurances for waiving that kicker. Not that that would bother me, I'd rather start him than Powell, his per 36 numbers, while down last year, still confirm that he's better on the glass and at shot blocking than Powell. It wasn't even so much that he was bad last year rather than he has been almost completely out of the Kings' rotation ever since they added Sabonis, he only played 348 total minutes last season so it's hard to even gauge how he played. Give the guy a chance for now as long as it doesn't hamper Lively's development
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • Qabick
Like Reply
Wonder if I can still last post a whole first page. Not sure if I still have my chops.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
Some highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eVwncG7oM4
Like Reply
(07-07-2023, 03:33 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Wonder if I can still last post a whole first page. Not sure if I still have my chops.

Guess not.
Like Reply
If he can get back to his 20-21 level, he would absolutely be the best starting C for this season. His floater game should in theory be a perfect complement to Luka and Kyrie in the P&R.
Like Reply
If not trade happens, Mavs better be right on Holmes. I have no idea how you would know if he can still play as he played very little last year. There were legit reasons why he lost his minutes, but lets not think Alex Len is anything more than a solid second team center/good third team center. Typically when players leave the rotation, it is for a reason. Sometimes you find great value. It just depends.

But Dallas can't get to camp and then find out Holmes can't play. I just wonder if they worked him out in Vegas? Do they have plans for him to spend time in Dallas after everyone comes back from vacation?
Like Reply
I know the highlights only show positives, but his work in the paint is very nice. Seems to be able to drive a little, a few spin moves, good touch around the basket, not afraid to make a power move to dunk, and that little push shot seems to be money.

If he can play a little defense, his offensive game seems like it would explode with the gravity Luka/Kyrie brings.

From a physical perspective, is there any reason he couldn't regain the earlier form? No lingering injuries that could be problematic? It seems like a lot of last year was too many personal issues getting in the way of playing basketball. I'm hopeful a change of scenery will re-light his fire.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(07-07-2023, 03:33 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Wonder if I can still last post a whole first page. Not sure if I still have my chops.

I will take a shot at it.  

I like the idea of Holmes on offense.  If the other team gets layups and rebounds over and over, it will be tough.
Like Reply
(07-17-2023, 11:59 AM)Hypermav Wrote: I will take a shot at it.  

I like the idea of Holmes on offense.  If the other team gets layups and rebounds over and over, it will be tough.

I'm not really sure where this line of thinking came from regarding Holmes.  He is not an elite defensive center by any stretch, but for most of his career he has averaged per 36 over 10 rebounds and roughly 2 blocks.  His defensive advanced stats look good as well prior to last year when he barely played.  I think Powell's defense is underrated around here, but in those areas where he really struggles (defensive rebounding and rim protection) Holmes is clearly better.
Like Reply
(07-17-2023, 12:14 PM)mvossman Wrote: I'm not really sure where this line of thinking came from regarding Holmes.  He is not an elite defensive center by any stretch, but for most of his career he has averaged per 36 over 10 rebounds and roughly 2 blocks.  His defensive advanced stats look good as well prior to last year when he barely played.  I think Powell's defense is underrated around here, but in those areas where he really struggles (defensive rebounding and rim protection) Holmes is clearly better.

I did say "if".  I hope you are correct.
Like Reply
(07-17-2023, 12:26 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I did say "if".  I hope you are correct.

Me too.  And that was not directed specifically at you.  It just seems like the rep on him around here is that even when he was good he was an offensive only center and I don't really think thats the case.
Like Reply
When he was a free agent, everyone desperately wanted him because he was a perfect fit next to Luka (at least on offense).  When he took the deal with the Kings the consensus was that it was a steal for them.  He has an awesome push shot and he can rebound.  Not sure about defense however.  I can see him averaging 12 and 8.
Like Reply
His push shot sits middle paint and perfect for Kyrie and Luka to drive and the center has to come to the rim with them. Leaving RH wide open. If the center stays with RH, Luka and Kyrie have a layup. That's my theory anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypermav's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
With Clint presumably off the table now (Siakam not being traded), this thread has new relevance and credence.

I would feel better about this if the Mavs managed to go out and get another big wing (e.g. Vando or PJ).
Like Reply
(07-17-2023, 06:43 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: With Clint presumably off the table now (Siakam not being traded), this thread has new relevance and credence.

I would feel better about this if the Mavs managed to go out and get another big wing (e.g. Vando or PJ).

What makes you so sure Siakim won’t be traded, suddenly?
Like Reply