Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Mavs get Grant Williams+2 2nds| SAS gets Bullock+2030 pick swap| BOS gets 2nds
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status...29889?s=46&t=xNHF873rjt7IFVxyn62T2g

Quote:Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania)
Sources: The Dallas Mavericks, San Antonio Spurs and Boston Celtics are finalizing a three-team trade:

Mavs: Grant Williams
Spurs: Reggie Bullock and an unprotected Dallas pick swap in 2030
Celtics: Multiple second-round picks

I know I'm late but I think this trade deserves its own thread!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Sweet deal!

And hopefully we can land Thybulle and a center and call it a great offseason
Like Reply
Honestly what a swing.

The pick swap to me seems not that risky, given that the Spurs could be either equal footing (or maybe worse depending on Wemby's health) with the Mavs.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/16767...70176?s=20

Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
Boston is landing three second-round picks in the deal, including a 2024, 2025 and 2028, sources tell ESPN.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Honestly what a swing.

The pick swap to me seems not that risky, given that the Spurs could be either equal footing (or maybe worse depending on Wemby's health) with the Mavs.

Boston is landing three second-round picks in the deal, including a 2024, 2025 and 2028, sources tell ESPN.

Or Wemby could be leading them to titles and Luka could be playing for someone else while the Mavs try to rebuild.  It's a smart gamble by the Spurs.
Like Reply
twitter.com/wojespn/status/1676734861535592448?t=nIx9MLzuj0Pnp7mf3Or5AA&s=19
Compensation update: Boston and Dallas will each receive two second-round picks in the deal.

(07-05-2023, 10:29 PM)cow Wrote: Or Wemby could be leading them to titles and Luka could be playing for someone else while the Mavs try to rebuild.  It's a smart gamble by the Spurs.

Yep absolutely a possibility.

Hopefully Dereck Lively will have become the next Kareem by then.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Honestly what a swing.

He updated that to Mavs getting two seconds and the third one headed to Boston (2028) is another potential swap of picks according to other sources.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
4h
Compensation update: Boston and Dallas will each receive two second-round picks in the deal.
Like Reply
Yeah just noticed that and thanks.

So the Mavs essentially turned Bullock+2030 swap into Williams+2 2nds.

Like I understand that the pick swap is risky, but is that not just an incredible deal on the face of it? Grant Williams isn't some superhero player that is going to radically transform this team, but Bullock was so bad last year. The mere fact we're replacing him with a guy who is a versatile defender (probably more versatile than Bullock) and thats 8 years younger seems so improbable to me. PLUS we got 2 2nds to use.

SHEEESH
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
A bit of a confusion about the picks details, Shams has a structure as below. In any case, I think it is a great deal for Mavs, if Williams is who we think he is. Contract is not bad. Gives Mavs security, if Portland matches their offer to Thybulle. Looks like, the Sacramento deal will be expanded.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...5393829889
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:59 PM)omahen Wrote: A bit of a confusion about the picks details, Shams has a structure as below. In any case, I think it is a great deal for Mavs, if Williams is who we think he is. Contract is not bad. Gives Mavs security, if Portland matches their offer to Thybulle. Looks like, the Sacramento deal will be expanded.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...5393829889

The Woj tweet is newer.  The nba.com article reference both that Shams tweet and the old Woj tweet.

https://www.nba.com/news/grant-williams-...team-trade
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:48 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Yeah just noticed that and thanks.

So the Mavs essentially turned Bullock+2030 swap into Williams+2 2nds.

Like I understand that the pick swap is risky, but is that not just an incredible deal on the face of it? Grant Williams isn't some superhero player that is going to radically transform this team, but Bullock was so bad last year. The mere fact we're replacing him with a guy who is a versatile defender (probably more versatile than Bullock) and thats 8 years younger seems so improbable to me. PLUS we got 2 2nds to use.

SHEEESH

It's risky but I'm totally fine with it. 2030 is a LONG way away in NBA terms. Luka will be 31 by then lol. We'll have plenty of time to generate more assets to make up for it in the meantime. I'm definitely not losing sleep over it.
Like Reply
Do Mavs need to send more salary out to keep the full MLE?
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 11:05 PM)omahen Wrote: Do Mavs need to send more salary out to keep the full MLE?

I don’t think they’re planning to use the full MLE. Their offer to Thybulle is reported to be around 3/$33M.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 11:05 PM)omahen Wrote: Do Mavs need to send more salary out to keep the full MLE?

They would. A S/W of McGee would open up the full MLE.

But as KL said, not sure if they're actually intending on using the full MLE if the reported 3/33 deal for Thybulle is true. 

I hope Portland gets stingy at the wrong time and just chooses not to match. They have Nassir Little on a 4 year deal for 7 mil a year. They just drafted a similar player in Thybulle's mold, and they are about to be tanking hard.

We'll see.
Like Reply
If PJ Washington is still available to trade for, IMO he should still be the number one target. Put PJ and Williams at the 3 and 4, and I couldn't care less who you send out at the 5.

I feel like we have arguably more assets now to potentially go after him than we did before with the 2 seconds, but everyone seems to be saying it's just Thybulle and try and get another big. I know Williams can play the 4 due to how stout he is, but he's still undersized. PJ and Williams works so much better than Williams and Thybulle/Green in terms of defensive size. PJ can also handle the ball a bit which gives them that extra guy Luka and Kyrie would not have with a Williams/Thybulle combination. The potential perimeter defense on the bench unit would also be fantastic rolling out Green, Thybulle and OMax. You can get away without that high level rim protecting big with a roster like this. Both Williams and PJ have played small ball 5 before also I believe.
Like Reply
Grant Williams is a 4 that is better guarding 5s than he is guarding quick/athletic wings. I dont think you want him spending ANY time at the 3.

He's a similar build as Draymond or PJ Tucker.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
With him on board, I think Mavs are hoping to find a traditional rim rolling/shot blocking center. I dont think PJ Washington is in the plans. More like Daniel Gafford type. I dont watch many Charlotte games but my impression of PJ Washington is that he's similar to Christian Wood. He's a tweener 4/5 bucket getter. If the Mavs were desperate to add some young talent with upside, he made some sense. But if he wants to get paid and with the Mavs looking for a defensive center, I no longer see his fit on this roster with the addition of Williams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Don't flame me but did we really need to start a separate thread about this trade? It's already talked about in the Trade and FA page.
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 05:16 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Don't flame me but did we really need to start a separate thread about this trade? It's already talked about in the Trade and FA page.

I don't see why all confirmed Mavs trades shouldn't have their own thread. It's not like there will be 20 of them. They are our players and can be used to talk about them outside of trade and FA scenarios as we get closer to the season or even in season. That page is mainly for rumors IMO even though a lot of discussion about confirmed trades obviously happens there.

Also just saw this:

I know this isn't what he always looks like, but god damn there's some incredible defensive plays here. He actually does some of the things you see from Thybulle making up ground to make incredible defensive plays despite seemingly being out of the frame to make a play.
[-] The following 3 users Like Dundalis's post:
  • Kidnova, mvossman, omahen
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 05:36 AM)Dundalis Wrote: I don't see why all confirmed Mavs trades shouldn't have their own thread. It's not like there will be 20 of them. They are our players and can be used to talk about them outside of trade and FA scenarios as we get closer to the season or even in season. That page is mainly for rumors IMO even though a lot of discussion about confirmed trades obviously happens there.

I know this isn't what he always looks like, but god damn there's some incredible defensive plays here. He actually does some of the things you see from Thybulle making up ground to make incredible defensive plays despite seemingly being out of the frame to make a play.

I agree.  Megathreads have their place, but not everybody stops by on a daily basis so having a dedicated post to discuss things that have actually happened (not rumors) is good.  If you haven't been to the board in a week or more it can be almost impossible to find a specific topic in one of those megas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kidnova's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 06:43 AM)Kidnova Wrote: I agree.  Megathreads have their place, but not everybody stops by on a daily basis so having a dedicated post to discuss things that have actually happened (not rumors) is good.  If you haven't been to the board in a week or more it can be almost impossible to find a specific topic in one of those megas.
Simple solution, don’t stop reading!!!   Big Grin
Like Reply