Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs Sign Dante Exum
So uh.... I thought we needed a center but then I remembered we had Javale McGee who is actually such a solid starting center so my bad Nico.

This signing makes sense. So much sense that I need someone here to help explain it to me.

(This is intense sarcasm just to make that abundantly clear)
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Makes perfect sense if we're pulling off a big trade for someone that can play power forward

but a little scary that we're 2 days into free agency and Bullock would still be our starting PF
Like Reply
The good and bad news is that Lively and O'Max are our day 1 starters at the 4/5.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • BigDirk41, MrGoat, RGP1981
Like Reply
I’ve barely heard of him. He plays like 20 minutes per game in Europe. That sounds like a role player. I mean, the European teams have become pretty good and would crush our NCAA teams, but you still pretty much have to be a star there to make it in the NBA. Is he that? He can definitely shoot though, at least in Europe. Which is interesting because in his earlier stint in the NBA, he couldn’t. Utah originally drafted him, maybe he has a Lindsey connections? I really hope the Mavs have a move in line to send out multiple players to bring one back. This one is kind of baffling in combination with Curry. So far, free agency is a whiff, unless. . .

This makes absolutely no sense at all unless THJ is moving on for someone. Time to fire up the Trade Machine. THJ is 100% gone. Well, 95%. Hardy or Green could be instead, I guess.
Like Reply
Mavs can create a path to bringing in a player via SNT making MLE money, presumably a FA, and if they did it as part of the OKC/SAC deal without adding anything else, no player salary would have to go to the other team.

That would allow compensation of no players (and no salary) + light compensation that would be better than nothing (such as a 2nd, or cash) where the FA player wasn't going to be kept by the other team anyhow.

Or maybe McGee could also be rolled into the deal along with enough allowable cash where their net cost over 2 seasons equals minimum salary -- and at that price, as a bench center, he might be seen as desirable. Say to SAC?
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
Mentioned him a while ago. He was really an elite defender, but was always injured. Had a good and healthy season in Europe. Shooting over 40 % from three. He was a lottery pick in Utah in Lindsay days.

I guess it is a vet min, so not sure why all the panic. He doesn't impact any other plans. He will replace FN role on the deep bench and will have a hard time getting minutes.

If they gave him more than vet min, they are idiots.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 11:21 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I’ve barely heard of him. He plays like 20 minutes per game in Europe. That sounds like a role player. I mean, the European teams have become pretty good and would crush our NCAA teams, but you still pretty much have to be a star there to make it in the NBA.  Is he that?  He can definitely shoot though, at least in Europe.  Which is interesting because in his earlier stint in the NBA, he couldn’t. Utah originally drafted him, maybe he has a Lindsey connections? I really hope the Mavs have a move in line to send out multiple players to bring one back. This one is kind of baffling in combination with Curry. So far, free agency is a whiff, unless. . .

This makes absolutely no sense at all unless THJ is moving on for someone.  Time to fire up the Trade Machine. THJ is 100% gone.  Well, 95%.  Hardy or Green could be instead, I guess.

I think this ends up being a good signing for end of bench depth. Probably takes Frank's role. He's a bigger and better version of Frank. He has learned to shoot from outside overseas and is a great defender. Mavs need as many defenders as they can get.

As far as THJ I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas is still trying to get a guy like Ayton or someone along those lines to start at the 5. I think the Curry signing signaled that. Curry is a much cheaper and much better version of THJ.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
Guy was a massive bust in his first go round the NBA and was slowed further by injury. At least it sounds like he learned how to shoot in Euroleague. He's supposedly a good defender at least but this looks pretty underwhelming, may be an upgrade over Frank if his Euroleague play is an indication
Like Reply
As someone who has watched around 60+% of Partizan games this season I can confidently say that Dante can still play in the league IMO. He has become a decent shooter, he has lost some of his quickness but he still has that hustle in him. As far as offense goes, he is a tier or two above Frank, but defensively he's a bit worse IMO. I was wondering if there some team would call any Partizan player this offseason.

Here's a bonus video, just for you guys to see what kind of atmosphere he's used to play in front of. Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W2-X2VGWP4
[-] The following 1 user Likes juanc's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
He is the end is the bench Frank/Burke replacement. I’m assuming this is for the vet min. Most nights he should get a DNP CD. Since Lindsey drafted him I’m guessing he may also be a veteran voice/culture creation signing.

I’m not sure why people are reacting so negatively to this. I think the appropriate response is somewhere along the lines of: “That’s cool. I guess Frank is gone… I wonder if Whataburger is still open…”
[-] The following 3 users Like soog's post:
  • DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 01:04 AM)audiosway Wrote: I think this ends up being a good signing for end of bench depth. Probably takes Frank's role. He's a bigger and better version of Frank. He has learned to shoot from outside overseas and is a great defender. Mavs need as many defenders as they can get.

As far as THJ I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas is still trying to get a guy like Ayton or someone along those lines to start at the 5. I think the Curry signing signaled that. Curry is a much cheaper and much better version of THJ.

I’ve come around on the signing.  You have to respect someone who comes into the NBA. Can’t shoot a lick. Gets hurt a lot. Then goes overseas and develops himself into a premiere shooter in the second best league in the world. How hard you work to improve means something. 

My main concern is the Mavs have devoted too many roster spots to mediocre players. Pretty much none of the GLeaguers from last season will have a path to the roster it seems.  More importantly, the Mavs still need to bring in at least one starting veteran this off-season. Holmes, Curry, and Exum are not really even rotation quality, much less starter quality. And there’s not a single power forward on the roster, unless you count Maxi, who’ll last about 10 games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
I will never complain about these "look under every rock" gambles. Most will not work, but if they do it is a really nice find. His highlights look good. I must admit he has a different build than when I was a huge fan entering the NBA, but that happens. It was mentioned in another thread, but his landings don't look great. Not ideal for a guy who has had a ton of injuries.

I guess the only issue I will have if the Mavs try to sell it as something that it isn't. So no problem from me, just need a starting caliber PF still.
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 06:36 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: And there’s not a single power forward on the roster, unless you count Maxi, who’ll last about 10 games.

Power forwards corrupt, and absolute power forwards corrupt absolutely.

There shall be none of that nonsense on this roster.
[-] The following 3 users Like loki's post:
  • RGP1981, soog, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 07:12 AM)loki Wrote: Power forwards corrupt, and absolute power forwards corrupt absolutely.

There shall be none of that nonsense on this roster.

I guess what I should have said is that there are only two players who can even play that position at all, whatever it is these days — more of a hybrid between the traditional 3 and 4. One of those is Maxi and one is a rookie. I mean, no one else on the roster, except maybe Luka, should get even a single minute in that role. It’s pretty irresponsible roster building, which makes me think that a rotation quality 3/4 hybrid is incoming.  Or maybe you just commit to play OMax 28 minutes a night? This roster is basically just shooting guards, point guards, and centers. They really don’t even have people with size and length to play the 3, much less the 4. Reggie was legit one of the worst rotation players in the league last year. Maxi is hurt all the time. Josh is too small. OMax is a rookie. Where are the dynamic, athletic 6’8/6’9” players? Mavs will get absolutely destroyed if they don’t find one who can really play. It’s even starting to make me regret passing on Collins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 07:29 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I guess what I should have said is that there are only two players who can even play that position at all, whatever it is these days — more of a hybrid between the traditional 3 and 4. One of those is Maxi and one is a rookie. I mean, no one else on the roster, except maybe Luka, should get even a single minute in that role. It’s pretty irresponsible roster building, which makes me think that a rotation quality 3/4 hybrid is incoming.  Or maybe you just commit to play OMax 28 minutes a night? This roster is basically just shooting guards, point guards, and centers.  They really don’t even have people with size and length to play the 3, much less the 4.  Reggie was legit one of the worst rotation players in the league last year.  Maxi is hurt all the time.  Josh is too small.  OMax is a rookie. Where are the dynamic, athletic  6’8/6’9” players? Mavs will get absolutely destroyed if they don’t find one who can really play.  It’s even starting to make me regret passing on Collins.

I'm not to the point of Collins regret, but I agree it's disappointing to see that they haven't prioritized a big wing. Even though guys like that don't grow on trees, they aren't unicorns either. The Mavs should have been able to land someone to hold down the fort until either OMax can take the position over or they can find a more permanent solution through a trade.

Instead they went into free agency attempting to overpay a redundant backup guard (Brown) at the one moment he was most overvalued. Then the fallback plan was apparently a 6'2" shooter who is one of the worst defensive players in the league. It looks pretty bad unless some kind of sign and trade deal is on the horizon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply