Poll: Can this roster win a ring?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, you gave Nico the answers to the test.
33.33%
2 33.33%
No, this isn't enough.
50.00%
3 50.00%
Close, but here's what I would do different...
16.67%
1 16.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Alternative plan to signing Kyrie Irving?
Putting my armchair-GM cap on! Here is an alternative to signing Kyrie, which will hopefully make the Mavericks a more complete team that defends and shoots better, as well as make the team younger, and should cost less to keep together too.

- Sign Gabe Vincent as an FA ($15M per season).
- Sign Jevon Carter as an FA (BAE $4.5M per season).
- Sign Bruce Brown as an FA ($15M per season).
- Sign Yuta Watanabe as an FA (Vet-Minimum?).
- Sign Troy Brown Jr. as an FA (Vet-Minimum?).
- Sign Keita Bates-Diop as an FA (Vet-Minimum?).
- Trade Tim Hardaway, Josh Green and Richaun Holmes for Deandre Ayton. (*)
- Trade Reggie Bullock for Norman Powell. (**)

The Roster: (Positions are listed from a defensive perspective.)

PG: Vincent............ Carter, Hardy
SG: Brown.............. Powell, Primo (***)
SF: Doncic................ Watanabe, TBJ
PF: Kleber................. Prosper, KBD
Ce: Ayton................ Lively, McGee (****)

* I have seen it said that the holdup was not that the Mavs wanted to include McGee, but that the Suns wanted either the #10 or Josh Green included. I am okay with including Green. His defense and hustle will be missed but he is still not a full-fledged three-point shooter... and his role will be very well covered by Bruce Brown and Norman Powell.

** I would prefer Norman Powell to Reggie Bullock, even though Reggie is slightly better at guarding bigger Shooting Guards, because Norman is more competent putting the ball on the floor and creating his own shots.

*** Sign Josh Primo, after interviewing him to see if he realizes what he did was wrong and there will no repeats of that kind of behavior. He looked like he had some talent when playing for the Spurs. Adding young talent to this team, for free, is a no-brainer. He could take over from Norman Powell in a couple of years.

**** Dwight Powell on a Vet-Min contract would be better as the 3rd Center, but looks like the Mavs are stuck with McGee. It was a horrible idea to sign McGee for these dollars last summer.

What do you guys think of this roster... and if you like it too, do you think Cuban and Nico have the wherewithal to pull something like this off?

I realize this is a lot of turnover from last year's squad, but it can't be helped when the Front Office has done such a horrible job until now. The one move I am concerned about is Ayton. The hope is that being the 2nd option on offense and getting more touches on the ball, as well as playing next to Luka, will get him out of his funk.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RGP1981's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
The Mavs don’t have $30M in cap space to sign Vincent and Brown.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • BigDirk41, RGP1981
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 08:41 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The Mavs don’t have $30M in cap space to sign Vincent and Brown.

Thanks! How much do the Mavs have at this time? I forgot about Reggie being guaranteed on the 28th and the incomplete roster charges.

Do you think Vincent and Brown could be got with what is left over and if their contracts increase appropriately for them taking slightly less now?
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 08:54 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: Thanks! How much do the Mavs have at this time? I forgot about Reggie being guaranteed on the 28th and the incomplete roster charges.

Do you think Vincent and Brown could be got with what is left over and if their contracts increase appropriately for them taking slightly less now?
That all depends on Kyrie’s contract now that Reggie is signed. The MLE has always been the amount in question if we were gonna get it or not. That’s $12.2M to sign a FA.

There are creative ways to get more, but those involve trades.
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 09:02 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: That all depends on Kyrie’s contract now that Reggie is signed. The MLE has always been the amount in question if we were gonna get it or not. That’s $12.2M to sign a FA.

I mean if the Mavericks choose to renounce Kyrie, or not re-sign him, how much will they have then?
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 09:03 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: I mean if the Mavericks choose to renounce Kyrie, or not re-sign him, how much will they have then?

I think its in the neighborhood of 15 or 20.  Its hard to see a scenario where Kyrie does not sign here.  It could be an S&T, but there are very few teams that could sign him into cap space and no indication any of them are looking to do it.  Houston is focusing on FVV and nobody else makes much sense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
In my opinion the only two options are sign and keep or sign and trade. Before the draft I thought snt was the most likely outcome, but with the trades that have already occurred around the league I now think they're just going to sign him and see if they can make it work.
Like Reply
I have my doubts Luka will make it all the way with us to a Super Max if we strike out on Kyrie
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 11:14 AM)Jym Wrote: I have my doubts Luka will make it all the way with us to a Super Max if we strike out on Kyrie

I fully agree. If they don't resign Kyrie or make a very good sign and trade (probably unlikely), I think Luka is a gonner down the road. Sign and trade just for contracts won't cut it. They would have to get back similar talent which is highly unlikely.
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 11:14 AM)Jym Wrote: I have my doubts Luka will make it all the way with us to a Super Max if we strike out on Kyrie

He will sign supermax and ask out afterwards
Like Reply
My alternative is basically go young and cheap and make sure you’re positioned next off-season with a deep young developing roster, Luka, and maximum cap space for a final piece. I wouldn’t spend on a bunch of mid tier players for next year unless Kyrie or another second star is already here. So, back to plan powder I guess. More specifically, I’d sign Brown for an MLE type deal and then focus on dumping long term contracts for picks and future cap space. If the Mavs can get a decent SnT for Kyrie, my thinking could change.
Like Reply
90% either Kyrie or Ayton is a Maverick in the next 72 hours.
Like Reply
The Mavs are a much worse team if they replace Kyrie with Ayton. Ayton is a dinosaur with no heart.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • donzingis38
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 12:02 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: maximum cap space for a final piece.  

Problem is, no one important really gets to free agency anymore.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 02:01 PM)omahen Wrote: Problem is, no one important really gets to free agency anymore.

And if they do, could the Mavs really close the deal?  I’d still stay away from any overpays until the roster is mostly ready for prime time.
Like Reply
Sources: Irving beside himself. Driving around downtown Houston begging (thru texts) Stone's family for address to Rafael's home.
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
We can close this one now Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41, Reunion Mav, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply