Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBA Summer League | Mavs end off 4-1
Cason Wallace shot 2-12 today with 5 turnovers and was a minus 23 for the game.

Looks like Lively has some competition for the G league newcomer of the year this year Smile
Like Reply
Summer league games are already hard to watch. It gets harder as more and more players stop playing for different reasons.

I will be interested checking out the Golden State game tonight. I was unsure about their first round pick. I didn't know much about him but I am always concerned when a player transfers down and then has success. I watched a half of a half of one of his summer league games. He shot poorly, but I liked how he played. I will be interested to get a better look at him tonight. Seems to have a really nice feel.
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 07:56 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Summer league games are already hard to watch.  It gets harder as more and more players stop playing for different reasons.

I think a lot of these guys in the summer league are really raw, thats why it is often very difficult to watch. Compile that with individual motivation to show what they are capable off, especially from offense first guys, and it gets really ugly. We could see it with Dallas, mostly because how raw they are and the lack of good PG. Their team performance started to look better once those a bit older and more experienced players took over.
Like Reply
Shaedon Sharpe and Brandon Miller had their first really good games in summer league last night. I don't care if Sharpe wasn't awesome in his first two games, he is going to be a star. He is probably too good for summer league. I wonder if we will see him any more?

Miller has had a rough couple of games. It was good to see him have a good game to quiet a lot of the talk.

(07-12-2023, 07:56 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Summer league games are already hard to watch.  It gets harder as more and more players stop playing for different reasons.

I will be interested checking out the Golden State game tonight.  I was unsure about their first round pick.  I didn't know much about him but I am always concerned when a player transfers down and then has success.  I watched a half of a half of one of his summer league games.  He shot poorly, but I liked how he played.  I will be interested to get a better look at him tonight.  Seems to have a really nice feel.

Yeah, I am super excited usually to watch summer league, but by game 2 or 3 I am left wondering why I am even watching.

At least we have guys we hope are core pieces eventually so that will keep me around.   It is just tough to make any conclusions good or bad.   I did think this summer league was huge for Wright and Lawson.  I expect Lawson to stick around regardless but he was probably fighting if he was in consideration for a roster spot.   Wright, I believe, should be a roster spot candidate or we should move on.   I don't think we should keep him on a two way at his age & size.
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 08:05 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Shaedon Sharpe and Brandon Miller had their first really good games in summer league last night.    I don't care if Sharpe wasn't awesome in his first two games, he is going to be a star.    He is probably too good for summer league.  I wonder if we will see him any more?

Miller has had a rough couple of games.  It was good to see him have a good game to quiet a lot of the talk.

Yeah, I am super excited usually to watch summer league, but by game 2 or 3 I am left wondering why I am even watching.

At least we have guys we hope are core pieces eventually so that will keep me around.   It is just tough to make any conclusions good or bad.   I did think this summer league was huge for Wright and Lawson.  I expect Lawson to stick around regardless but he was probably fighting if he was in consideration for a roster spot.   Wright, I believe, should be a roster spot candidate or we should move on.   I don't think we should keep him on a two way at his age & size.

It's a lot more fun to draw meaningful conclusions about a player from a couple of summer league games.

If we really hated the draft pick and think the front office is clueless, then summer league can provide plenty of validation for our opinion.

On the other hand, if we think the pick was the greatest thing since sliced bread, then summer league can provide plenty of validation for our opinion.

Sighl.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 10:11 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: It's a lot more fun to draw meaningful conclusions about a player from a couple of summer league games.

If we really hated the draft pick and think the front office is clueless, then summer league can provide plenty of validation for our opinion.

On the other hand, if we think the pick was the greatest thing since sliced bread, then summer league can provide plenty of validation for our opinion.

Sighl.

Yeah, it is all part of the fun isn't it.
No basketball in this time of the year, so we watch SL, we all know we can't draw conclusions in it but we all do it regardless because it is the only thing we have in time.
[-] The following 2 users Like khaled1987's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Playing with more effort early in the game. Wright IV going down was a blessing in disguise. Miles Jr provides much needed shooting/spacing. Lively has great hands but struggles with boxouts and has a Kleber-like tendency to take himself out of position when he contests shots.
Like Reply
Lively with a couple of good passes. Finding the open shooter in the corner. Hardy still has no rhythm on offense. Taze Moore continues to impress. If it comes down to it I would happily waive Wright iV and give him a roster spot.
Like Reply
Bingham looks even worse than last year. How did he get a roster spot?
Like Reply
Hardy sure likes going 1 on 3, doesn’t he?
Like Reply
Really small sample size but Lawson doesn’t look very confident shooting the three.

For him to be on an nba roster, his role is the fifth guy and only take wide open threes or dunks. Can he make wide open threes? Doesn’t look like someone you need to guard now. He also needs to do the little things on the floor to help the team. Not a great summer for him yet.
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 05:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hardy sure likes going 1 on 3, doesn’t he?

Almost as bad as Lawson. Really disappointing that the two "experienced" guys are by far the worst decision makers on the floor for the Mavs.
On a positive note. Lively is having a really nice game. And Miles Jr looks like a good two-way pick up. Closest thing to a veteran on the roster.
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 05:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hardy sure likes going 1 on 3, doesn’t he?

Any better success this time around?  He was terrrrrrible for 3 quarters the previous outing.
Like Reply
Just saw the announcer of this game is Noah Eagle. His dad is Ian Eagle. He is only 25. Thought he has done a good job.

So it is a flop now if you come around a screen and trip? Just awful if so.
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 06:00 PM)cow Wrote: Any better success this time around?  He was terrrrrrible for 3 quarters the previous outing.

Not sure, I didn’t start watching until the second half, but the Mavs are up by 13 and both Lively and O-max look GREAT.
Like Reply
So impressed with Prosper. You can just picture him in a real nba game.

Beautiful sequence….OMAX was beat but Lively came over for the contest causing a turnover. Then Lively set an open floor screen that led to an OMAX 3.
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • ballsrchr, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
That Lively screen was dirty. I love it.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/AC__Hoops/status/167...6229568512
Like Reply
Taze Moore has something.
Like Reply
Seems like O-max’s face trains with POWELL’S face.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • dmavs4life03
Like Reply