Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBA Summer League | Mavs end off 4-1
Nevermind. Defender got a hand on it. Probably still needs to hold on though.
Like Reply
Chet owned Lively past couple of minutes, mainly because how weak Lively is so was probably comfortable for Chet. Not bad though ss Chet is a premier talent but shows the needed work
Offense is still issue for Lively, though his passing is good
Like Reply
Lively almost with the great dunk.

Hardy what a 3.

(07-08-2023, 03:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nevermind. Defender got a hand on it. Probably still needs to hold on though.

Lively has to be better at FTs.

My only issue with him so far.

And then Lively absolutely shuts down the layup attempt.

I can see vets taking advantage of the fact the bites on every fake though. Something for Lively to learn.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
STELLAR defense in space to shut Chet down there, followed in the same possession with perfect drop coverage.

Lively is not as raw as this board claims.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, MFFL
Like Reply
CASON WALLACE ARE YOU KIDDING ME

(07-08-2023, 03:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: STELLAR defense in space to shut Chet down there, followed in the same possession with perfect drop coverage.

Need to see it against a bruising big like Duren.

Chet isn't a rebounder.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Well, at least Kyrie and Cuban don’t look miserable sitting next to each other.
Like Reply
Lawson just did a eurostep from the 3pt line holy shit
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 03:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: STELLAR defense in space to shut Chet down there, followed in the same possession with perfect drop coverage.

He is not.  I expect a lot of rough moments as a rookie, but he is incredibly raw on offense, not defense.   There will need to be plenty of things he will need to learn about NBA defense though.

But, even though he is incredibly raw on offense, if he can stay on the floor by playing good defense you can’t tell me Luka isn’t going to force feed him passes at the rim.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 04:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: CASON WALLACE ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Need to see it against a bruising big like Duren.

Chet isn't a rebounder.

Oh, I’m not talking about results. That is probably going to take a while… But on that drop coverage, he filled up so much space and effectively guarded both players all the way to the rim. I don’t think you can do that without a certain amount of training.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 04:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Oh, I’m not talking about results. That is probably going to take a while… But on that drop coverage, he filled up so much space and effectively guarded both players all the way to the rim. I don’t think you can do that without a certain amount of training.

Oh absolutely. Lively just eats up space. He is so active defensively. He keeps up on the perimeter and then somehow comes outta nowhere to contest a layup and swats it away. 

Its stifling.

Question though,

Is Omax+Lively worth Cason Wallace?

Cause I know where I'm leaning.

Wallace with amazing defense there against Hardy I have to admit it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Disappointed the two rookies were not in for the last 3 minutes of the game. Minute restrictions?
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 04:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Disappointed the two rookies were not in for the last 3 minutes of the game.  Minute restrictions?

Seems that way.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 04:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Disappointed the two rookies were not in for the last 3 minutes of the game.  Minute restrictions?

OMP and Lively played roughly ~17 mins each. Hardy played 30 mins.

OKC's NBA guys played 30 mins each. The bench got destroyed, but any time Omax and Lively were on the court the Mavs were winning. 

Some hope.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 04:16 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: OMP and Lively played roughly ~17 mins each. Hardy played 30 mins.

OKC's NBA guys played 30 mins each. The bench got destroyed, but any time Omax and Lively were on the court the Mavs were winning. 

Some hope.

I think Lively and Omax looked good defensively, without it reflecting in the stats (rebounds, blocks, steals), and boy oh boy do we need a quick leaping big with a nose for the ball that can collect defensive rebounds. Cause outside of Luka and maybe Holmes, there is not a single guy on this roster that will even sniff 7 RPG.
Like Reply
I enjoyed this game. Didn't look as bad as last season. If OKC wouldn't be lights out from three, it would be a very close game. My impressions. Omax and Lawson looked like wings that can contribute. Hardy is more or less same guy as last season. Can get his shot, still makes a lot of mistakes. Lively is raw. Wright had a bad game. He can play defense, but is just a non factor on offense, even at this level. I was not impressed by Mike Miles.
Like Reply
Liked that Lively had a couple of good passes after rolling. And Omax seems to be ready to play day one with our offensive stars.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GermanMav's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Omax looks good, very athletic, shot doesn’t look bad, high motor guy. Easy to see him have a role in the Nba. 

Lively as expected, good defender, complete zero on offense. I remain skeptical that he’s worthy of a lottery pick. Never saw how he’s a better prospect than guys like Jarrett Allen or Mitchell Robinson who all got drafted way later a while ago when the league wasn’t quite as offense-heavy. I wonder how he’s supposed to stay on the court in a playoff game one day when opposing teams go small, his rim protection gets marginalized and he can’t punish anyone in the post or on offense in general. I’m not trying to fart in anyone‘s cereals here but I think you can easily make the case that the picks should have been reversed and Omax should have been pick #12 and Lively #2x (whatever it was). 

Hardy needs to add the midrange game to his arsenal. He’s still not the quickest which hurts him in iso possessions where he just relies on his stepback again and again. Physically he looks bette than he did last summer league. Pretty good game from him before the chucking started late in the 4th.
[-] The following 2 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost, SwisherPrice
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 03:20 PM)juanc Wrote: Lively and Omax only got one full practice with the team, the could only do individual drills because the trades weren't official till the 6th

Cason Wallace had a great game. No doubt about it.

But how many times did the announcer have to say "HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY PRACTICE!"

The Mavs had TWO players in the same situation and that never got mentioned for them.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 04:24 PM)GermanMav Wrote: Liked that Lively had a couple of good passes after rolling. And Omax seems to be ready to play day one with our offensive stars.

I felt that too. Omax reminded me of a DFS starter kit more than any other prospect we've ever had.
Like Reply
FOR EVERYONE THAT HAS QUESTIONS ABOUT THE PLAYING TIME OF OMAX AND LIVELY I REPEAT MYSELF. THEY ONLY HAD 1 FULL 5 on 5 PRACTICE WITH THE TEAM! And yes that had to be caps Big Grin

The same is the reason for Lively's "bad hands". ALl but one of those passes weren't exactly good passes IMO. And you need chemistry and repetition to know your teammates.

Silva, MC Wright were rally bad, they're not NBA players.

Hardy has a lot of learning to do as a ball handler/playmaker, I've got to say I expected a bit more of him in that department.
Like Reply