Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Mavs trade 10+Bertans to OKC for Dereck Lively II
[Image: FzRcuz3XgAAOFX8?format=jpg&name=large]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
OKC and Orlando both must have wanted Wallace, and as a result we managed to dump Bertans and then Orlando completely panicked, when Wallace was gone. I mean Howard was projected in the 20s.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 10:20 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: OKC and Orlando both must have wanted Wallace, and as a result we managed to dump Bertans and then Orlando completely panicked, when Wallace was gone. I mean Howard was projected in the 20s.

Yeah that Jett Howard pick made no sense to me.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MazurFocus/status/16...87104?s=20

Peep Dennis Lindsay in the corner.
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 11:11 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/MazurFocus/status/16...87104?s=20

Peep Dennis Lindsay in the corner.
I’m thinking he had something to do with the mavs making moves they never dreamed of in past drafts
[-] The following 2 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, SkenfromLMF
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...38241?s=20

Nico Harrison's reaction to getting Dereck Lively II at No. 12 after dumping Davis Bertans' contract for No. 10: "I looked at Fin after we made the first move, and it was like, 'Man, that’s exactly what we played out.' The stress level is like, whew. We did that
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
I really liked that Fin said they are not really counting on his shooting right now, or something like that. The first thing he has to focus on is learning the defensive system. This will be challenging for any young player. Especially one who you want to be one of your better defenders.

On offense, he needs to learn to set solid picks. Luka is pretty demanding on these type of players so he will need to be a quick learner. You remember the Hakeem big man camps? Lively needs to go to the Powell screen camp. Second, he needs to be more comfortable when the ball is in his hands. He treated the ball like a hot potato in college last year. Getting him more comfortable with the ball will also be important. Then you can slowly grow the rest of his game.
Like Reply
Pretty good trade. Should have squeezed a SRP out of them too, but not the end of the world.
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 11:26 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: I’m thinking he had something to do with the mavs making moves they never dreamed of in past drafts

I think the new cap guru probably also came into play (finally).
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Jmaciscool, michaeltex
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 07:01 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think the new cap guru probably also came into play (finally).
A cohesive FO all working together to achieve the common goal? I still hope they add to the number of people, but so far so good.
Like Reply
Hollinger’s thought on the pick:

Hollinger’s analysis: What an unbelievable set of moves for Dallas. Lively and Dallas is the most perfect fit on the draft board outside the top few picks, a high-flying, rim-running, shot-blocking center who doesn’t need the ball. What a perfect complement to Luka Dončić and Kyrie Irving; and amazingly, they were able to dump Davis Bertans’ salary and still walk away from the draft with Lively. Just A+ stuff.

I posted this leading up to the draft but thought this was a good feature

https://youtu.be/x7FowCWrjdY
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
I love what I see from Lively.

I watched some video highlights of him. What I really like is that his feet never stop moving, he can stay with a guard from the perimeter then he has the length to get the block from behind and disrupt the play. He also never celebrates until the play is over. He has very active hands and a ton of length. Reminds me a little of Jaren Jackson with that.

He also is constantly moving. He doesn't just hang out in the paint. Very active without the ball looking to make a play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuloE-PjaEM
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
We'll see if Kidd plays along but he absolutely should be out there for 20 minutes a game right away.
If he buries both Lively and OMax, I'll want him gone immediately.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Pretty impactful 4 pt game

https://youtu.be/U1XvCldUqAw
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 07:17 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Pretty impactful 4 pt game

https://youtu.be/U1XvCldUqAw

That one offensive rebound where he kicked it out for a 3 left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. Sure yes, the dude hit the 3 and it was a good play. But was it the best play? The most reproduceable play? Especially considering after the offensive rebound if he had just looked up he could've easily layed/dunked it back in with his left hand.

It's these small things I'm not getting from Lively. His instincts seem off. His block timing is incredible, but he's also a bit wild and I saw many moments when he defended that an NBA player could take advantage of him.

Don't get me wrong, it ain't worth to write him off before he's even played a game but it's obvious he's a project. I hope he turns out good.
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 12:41 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: That one offensive rebound where he kicked it out for a 3 left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. Sure yes, the dude hit the 3 and it was a good play. But was it the best play? The most reproduceable play? Especially considering after the offensive rebound if he had just looked up he could've easily layed/dunked it back in with his left hand.

It's these small things I'm not getting from Lively. His instincts seem off. His block timing is incredible, but he's also a bit wild and I saw many moments when he defended that an NBA player could take advantage of him.

Don't get me wrong, it ain't worth to write him off before he's even played a game but it's obvious he's a project. I hope he turns out good.

I agree.   Even though I have been talking about Lively for a few months, plays like that are a little underwhelming.   In the pros with all the big bodies, sometimes passing out is the best player for an open three.  In college, I want him to not hot potato the ball and look at the basket more.  There are a few times where he doesn't even look to go back up and score when getting a rebound.   I was watching highlights against Syracuse who play that zone.  There were a few times he caught the ball on the baseline and literally did not even look at the rim despite being open.

Scoring 5 points per game as a freshman is also a little concerning.   I am sure there is blame at a lot of places.  But getting to 11-12 points a game should not be hard.  3- 4 dunks, a putback or two and some free throws.    That should have been much more consistent.  Not sure why he was shooting only a few shots a game.  Seemed like a missed opportunity just getting him dunks at the rim.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
For what to expect from Lively, I think this High School video may be more reflective of his game.

His Kentucky game just stuck him permanently in the box. His high school game seems to have moving in and out from the elbow, cutting to the basket, and the occasional three-point shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xly2HffCdgo

At Kentucky, I think they took away some of his game. Perhaps because of his injury or perhaps it was just so competitive for minutes. Either way, there's more dimension to his high school game and hopefully this reflects more like guy we're getting.
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 12:41 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: That one offensive rebound where he kicked it out for a 3 left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. Sure yes, the dude hit the 3 and it was a good play. But was it the best play? The most reproduceable play? Especially considering after the offensive rebound if he had just looked up he could've easily layed/dunked it back in with his left hand.

Have no idea what you are talking about with the kick out. I've seen veteran NBA bigs do exactly that plenty of times. Criticizing a 19 year old in college for it is a bit odd. The only part of his game that is a true project is his offense. Nothing project like about his defense IMO, even though like any big prospect no matter how good there will be growing pains, mainly with foul trouble most likely. This might be the best scouting breakdown of his defensive skillset. Also interesting to note he had a calf injury to start the season, which obviously limited him athletically, which is partly why he had a very slow start to the season.

(87) DERECK LIVELY II SCOUTING REPORT | 2023 NBA Draft | Dallas Mavericks | Duke Blue Devils - YouTube
[-] The following 2 users Like Dundalis's post:
  • DallasMaverick, mvossman
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 09:59 AM)Dundalis Wrote: Have no idea what you are talking about with the kick out. I've seen veteran NBA bigs do exactly that plenty of times. Criticizing a 19 year old in college for it is a bit odd. Wembanyama also has issues with getting a bit wild and getting in resultant foul trouble. The only part of his game that is a true project is his offense. Nothing project like about his defense IMO, even though like any big prospect no matter how good there will be growing pains. This might be the best scouting breakdown of his defensive skillset. Also interesting to note he had a calf injury to start the season, which obviously limited him athletically, which is partly why he had a very slow start to the season.

(87) DERECK LIVELY II SCOUTING REPORT | 2023 NBA Draft | Dallas Mavericks | Duke Blue Devils - YouTube
He later reaggrivated that injury too which is perhaps why he came on late in the year. I do hope these are legitimate reasons, and think they are, but I do keep it all tabbed in my head. 

At this point anything is a reason for him to be a bust, just like everything is a reason for him to succeed. If he’s the hard worker that’s been talked about, success becomes lots more likely.
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 09:59 AM)Dundalis Wrote: Have no idea what you are talking about with the kick out. I've seen veteran NBA bigs do exactly that plenty of times. Criticizing a 19 year old in college for it is a bit odd. The only part of his game that is a true project is his offense. Nothing project like about his defense IMO, even though like any big prospect no matter how good there will be growing pains, mainly with foul trouble most likely. This might be the best scouting breakdown of his defensive skillset. Also interesting to note he had a calf injury to start the season, which obviously limited him athletically, which is partly why he had a very slow start to the season.

Good to know on the injury.
Like Reply