Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TRADE: Beal+ etc. to PHX | CP3+Shamet+6 2nds+4frp swaps to WAS
Honestly not sure where the Suns proceed. Almost 163 mil in salary between 4 players. 3 of them are pure scorers and no table setters. Is Cam Payne going to be the distributor they need?

I think this all but guarantees they sell off Ayton for a mix of role players to fill out the roster. They definitely need a distributor and defenders.

For point guards, does Russell Westbrook at the minimum make sense? I think it does. It makes too much sense actually. There was a rumor earlier this month about how the Clips hoped Russ would be back on a minimum contract. Now all of a sudden they're players for CP3... So somethings changed there. Westbrook also fits the mold of a "splashy" signing and for all his warts is a great distributor of the ball.

Other PG's that could go for a starting spot at a discount in FA:
  • Schroeder
  • Reggie Jackson
  • Pat Bev
  • Dragic (history there)
  • George Hill
  • Corey Joseph
  • Nunn

There are SEVERAL options imo there for PHX. They don't need a star when you have 3 of the purest scorers in the game.

This makes me think they're going to prioritize anything else in an Ayton trade, while also trying to reduce salary. Splitting Ayton into 2 wings and a center (say Bertans+Bullock+McGee) really rounds out their roster. Seems like a paltry return, but I'm trying to brainstorm and think what other teams in the league can satisfy all 3 conditions in: 1) They are vying for Ayton and need a starting center. 2) Can provide 2-3 role players that make sense. 3) Contracts are low enough to actually save PHX some money in the long run.

PHX current salary totals according to spotrac should they keep Cam Payne+Wainright (which they should as they are cheap enough to fill out the bench and fill needed roles): 171,294,557 + 6 empty roster charges

If they take the Mav package laid out above:  172,058,999+ 4 empty roster charges. 

Essentially net money and their rotations are filled out with a solid top 8 should they go after Westbrook and resign their own FA in Landale+Biyombo+Ross w/ a 13 man rotation of:

WB/Payne
Beal/Ross
Booker/Bullock
Durant/Wainright/vet min
Landale/McGee/Biyombo

Should WB sign to a vet min contract, their team salary will be: 181,234,653

They could waive Payne, sign another guard to a vet min contract and be at:  179,063,305 which is just a hair over the 2nd apron. Close enough where they can easily maneuver next year below it. 

Hell, they could also S/W Bertans, retain everyone above, sign Russ to the TPMLE and be at: 175,834,653+ 3 empty roster charges which should put them riiiiiiiiiiight below the 2nd apron.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: Beal to PHX | CP3+Shamet+2nds to WAS - by SleepingHero - 06-19-2023, 12:03 AM