Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What would be your perfect Mavs draft outcome?
I would like Mavs get two solid starters and a late FRP or two, while trading a combination of McGee, Bertans, THJ, Bullock and Maxi salaries. Than fill the remaining holes with exception money. Couple of options:

A. Move 1: salary+10 for Capela and 15
Move 2: salary+15 for O'Neale + 22 + 51 or 15 for 26+29+32 (Move 3: salary+26 for O'Neale)

B. Move 1: 10 for 16+29
Move 2: salary+16 for O'Neale +22
Move 3: salary+29 for Gafford
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • loki
Like Reply
(06-17-2023, 05:51 PM)omahen Wrote: I would like Mavs get two solid starters and a late FRP or two, while trading a combination of McGee, Bertans, THJ, Bullock and Maxi salaries. Than fill the remaining holes with exception money. Couple of options:

A. Move 1: salary+10 for Capela and 15
Move 2: salary+15 for O'Neale + 22 + 51 or 15 for 26+29+32 (Move 3: salary+26 for O'Neale)

B. Move 1: 10 for 16+29
Move 2: salary+16 for O'Neale +22
Move 3: salary+29 for Gafford

These all seem like reasonable outcomes, although I'd prefer DFS to O'Neale due to size.

My preferred options would be:

A) 10 for OG
B) Draft Hendricks
C) 10 for Kuminga + 19
D) 10 for DFS + 21 + 22

Then follow up with moving either the 2027 1st or the 19th/21st pick for Gafford to start at center. I just think he makes more sense financially than a big name like Capela.
Like Reply
My preferred outcome in the event that one of the big nine fall is that we just keep the damned pick and draft.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • ballsrchr, MFFL
Like Reply
Such trades rarely works tbh. Trading down multiple times is usually not worth it.
Perfect scenario will be to nail the pick, to actually get the bpa regardless who he is or where you pick (whether we trade up or down)
Like Reply
I'll be happy with one starting level player.

Fine with trading the pick away and no picks coming back depending on the player and salary.
Like Reply
Perfect draft outcome:
Walker miraculously falls to 10.

Near Perfect draft result:
Mavs get Black Ant.

I'd be very happy with this:
Hendricks at 10.

I'd be happy with this:
Bertans+10 for Capela+15(Lively or Miller)+46(OMax)

I'm fine with this, not disappointed, but it won't get me jumping for joy.
Lively at 10.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(06-17-2023, 10:39 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Perfect draft outcome:
Walker miraculously falls to 10.

Near Perfect draft result:
Mavs get Black Ant.

I'd be very happy with this:
Hendricks at 10.

I'd be happy with this:
Bertans+10 for Capela+15(Lively or Miller)+46(OMax)

I'm fine with this, not disappointed, but it won't get me jumping for joy.
Lively at 10.

My perfect draft is similar to yours. I would just reverse Walker & Black
Like Reply
Perfect outcome.

1. Taylor Hendricks falls to #10.
2. Mavs trade THJ to the Pacers for Theis + McConnell + #26 + #32.
3. Dariq Whithead falls to #26.
4. Tristan Vukcevic at #32.

His minutes are still pretty low in the ABA, when Jokic, Saric and even Bitadze were dominating this league at the same age, but the numbers scream 2nd round sleeper.

14 MPG / 8.1 PPG / 3.2 RPG / 1.0 APG

Shooting splits: 70/40/81.

Doncic/McConnell
Green/Hardy
Bullock/Whitehead
Hendricks/Kleber
Theis/Vukcevic

You come out of the draft with an established young core already. Now you have free agency to use/re-sign Kyrie Irving, use the MLE and use Bertans&McGee plus the 2027 pick to make another trade upgrade.

I´m not a huge fan of trading down in this draft.
Like Reply
10 for 21, 22, & 51 (before the draft); Wood for DFS after July 1st

Bertans, McGee and 22 for 15, 46 and Collins

21, 46, 51 for 27, 34, & 39
Like Reply
Keep the pick and select whoever you got highest on your board. A nailed draft pick is infinitely more valuable than dumping salary and/or acquiring a bunch of non difference makers like Capela/Collins/Olynyk/O‘Neal/DFS.

We already whiffed on last year’s 1st round pick with the Wood-fiasco. At some point you gotta build the roster properly without any more shortcut attempts (that usually go wrong around here anyway).
[-] The following 2 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • ballsrchr, khaled1987
Like Reply
(06-17-2023, 07:21 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Such trades rarely works tbh. Trading down multiple times is usually not worth it.
Perfect scenario will be to nail the pick, to actually get the bpa regardless who he is or where you pick (whether we trade up or down)

I agree with this.  It is not 100% but typically trading back for multiple things leaves you with a bunch of spare change down the road.  Again, there are exceptions.  So my #1 choice is to hit the 10 pick.  We don’t need a star, but if you can draft someone who can play and grow now, that would be my choice.  

But that doesn’t appear to be the mavs#1 route.  When I hear some trade down names, most would be better short term upgrades.  But I am not sure anything is there in two years.   So if we were to trade the pick, I think I would be in favor of a guy in the mid  to later 20’s who may have worn out there welcome.  The Ayton level.  But this would require a heart to heart talk with these guys before I committed.  Note, the new CBA may make this a non starter but if feasible I think I could be talked into it.
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 07:20 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I agree with this.  It is not 100% but typically trading back for multiple things leaves you with a bunch of spare change down the road.  Again, there are exceptions.  So my #1 choice is to hit the 10 pick.  We don’t need a star, but if you can draft someone who can play and grow now, that would be my choice.  

But that doesn’t appear to be the mavs#1 route.  When I hear some trade down names, most would be better short term upgrades.  But I am not sure anything is there in two years.   So if we were to trade the pick, I think I would be in favor of a guy in the mid  to later 20’s who may have worn out there welcome.  The Ayton level.  But this would require a heart to heart talk with these guys before I committed.  Note, the new CBA may make this a non starter but if feasible I think I could be talked into it.

Let me add, tied to keeping the pick would also be a trade to 11, 12, 13 and getting a player you would have taken at 10
Like Reply
(06-17-2023, 07:09 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: My preferred outcome in the event that one of the big nine fall is that we just keep the damned pick and draft.

This...
Like Reply
Leonard Miller, Bilal, or maybe Lively are the correct picks for this draft given the Mav’s starting position. If they can also add a veteran through a trade, even better. Grady would be okay. Really, there are a lot of good players in this draft so it’s difficult to believe the Mavs could screw this up. This is the deepest and highest quality draft — in NBA history. This class will put a lot of veterans out of a job over the next few years.
Like Reply
Hard to envision renewing Bally and watching the team next season if we keep the pick. (unless some other crazy ish happens)

I'm all for drafting and developing 99% of the time but the Mavs are in a desperate situation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 11:25 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Leonard Miller, Bilal, or maybe Lively are the correct picks for this draft given the Mav’s starting position. If they can also add a veteran through a trade, even better. Grady would be okay. Really, there are a lot of good players in this draft so it’s difficult to believe the Mavs could screw this up. This is the deepest and highest quality draft — in NBA history.  This class will put a lot of veterans out of a job over the next few years.

https://youtu.be/ug8ZafNm_74

Nice interview with Woj on the draft. He talks specifically about spots 1,2, and 3, but also on the general idea of moving up or down.

The last half mostly deals with his role on ESPN on draft day, so skip if you're not interested,

Biggest takeaway for me was his reiteration of how hit-and-miss the draft is.  All those front office "experts" with hours of video and reams of data trying really hard to guess correctly.

So, y'all need to lower your expectations accordingly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • loki
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 02:10 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: https://youtu.be/ug8ZafNm_74

Nice interview with Woj on the draft. He talks specifically about spots 1,2, and 3, but also on the general idea of moving up or down.

The last half mostly deals with his role on ESPN on draft day, so skip if you're not interested,

Biggest takeaway for me was his reiteration of how hit-and-miss the draft is.  All those front office "experts" with hours of video and reams of data trying really hard to guess correctly.

Well the odds are certainly better than you guessing correctly whether a SharkTank pitch will be a success or not. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Use these assets to return the players below: #10, Bertans, THJ, Bullock, Maxi, McGee, Morris, Powell, MLE

Jarrett Allen
Naz Reid
Alex Caruso
Tari Eason
Zach Collins
Christian Wood (resign)

Luka, Caruso
Kyrie, Hardy
Green, Eason
Collins, Wood
Allen, Reid
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 02:10 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: https://youtu.be/ug8ZafNm_74

Unlike most of the FOs in this league, the Mavs have run out of excuses. They either hit on this draft - wherever they draft - or off with their heads.
Like Reply
Realistically I just hope that they can draft someone who is still on an NBA roster in 3 years for reasons other than Mark Cuban's ego. I don't see how we are going to turn players that we don't want and couldn't give away before into useful NBA players AND draft picks. JUST hitting on the pick would be a huge step forward for this franchise. We have to start showing at least a minimum level of competence to make the team attractive for NBA players who actually have multiple options and a desire to win and aren't just looking to cash in one last time on the idiot billionaire.
[-] The following 3 users Like Benskix2's post:
  • hakeemfaan, myconsumerclub, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply