Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
DFS II: Return of the Doe-Doe
Any ideas for getting home boy back? Would you say yes to:

1. Davis Dump + #10 for a Finney-Smith reunion?

2. Keep #10 but eat that Ben Simmons contract in exchange for Timmy, JaVale, and the aforementioned Davis, all for just two more years of Dorian + a player-option on year 3?

Count The Jom as a yes on both proposals.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
1. Bertans+McGee+10 for DFS+Oneal+Sharpe+22

2. Bertans+McGee+THJ+10 for DFS+Oneal+JoeHarris+21+22

3. THJ+McGee+10 for DFS+Claxton+22

4. Bertans+RB+10 for DFS+Claxton+22

5. Bertans+McGee+THJ+RB+10 for DFS+Oneal+JoeHarris+Mills+Sharpe+22
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
I was sad to see DFS go, and have always been one of his biggest fans. But, now that he’s gone and the continuity break has happened, I’d probably prefer to target someone a bit younger, honestly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 04:04 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: 1. Bertans+McGee+10 for DFS+Oneal+Sharpe+22

2. Bertans+McGee+THJ+10 for DFS+Oneal+JoeHarris+21+22

3. THJ+McGee+10 for DFS+Claxton+22

4. Bertans+RB+10 for DFS+Claxton+22

5. Bertans+McGee+THJ+RB+10 for DFS+Oneal+JoeHarris+Mills+Sharpe+22

I'm in favor of 3, 4 and the general concept there, that is:

Mavs get Claxton, DFS, 22
Mavs give 10 + matching salary (from among DB, THJ, Bullock, McGee)

I'm more interested in Claxton than DFS, and imo DFS should come really cheap if he's without Claxton. Don't see much value to draw my interest in BKN other spare pieces such as Mills, ONeale, Harris, etc.

A trade of DFS to DAL has to happen after July 1. So a pick swap on draft day is tricky.
Like Reply
I loved DFS while he was here, but his stock dropped after going to the Nets. I think that ship has sailed, but I would love Claxton.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • LifeAquatic
Like Reply
I'm a big DFS fan but he was having a down year for us and a REALLY down year after being traded. I'm not so sure his value is very high right now
[-] The following 2 users Like MFFL's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, LifeAquatic
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/StepBackJay77/status...7416988678
Like Reply
Interesting that we all love DFS but aren't in love with bringing him back.

He's 31, had the worst shooting stretch in the last 4 years, and the cat's out of the bag in terms of whether or not limited role players next to Luka can translate over to other teams.

I'd say Dodo's value anywhere other than Dallas is toast now. Which means he should be able to be brought back for way less than we think. BUT like many others here, I am much more focused on getting 2-3 other guys first before I return to Dodo. He's the perfect finishing piece. We know he can work here.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, LifeAquatic
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 04:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Interesting that we all love DFS but aren't in love with bringing him back.

He's 31, had the worst shooting stretch in the last 4 years, and the cat's out of the bag in terms of whether or not limited role players next to Luka can translate over to other teams.

I'd say Dodo's value anywhere other than Dallas is toast now. Which means he should be able to be brought back for way less than we think. BUT like many others here, I am much more focused on getting 2-3 other guys first before I return to Dodo. He's the perfect finishing piece. We know he can work here.

This. 
 +41
Like Reply
If the consensus here is accurate—and Doe-Doe ain’t worth what he was not so very long ago—then I think somebody in the Mavs organization deserves some credit for pulling the trigger on him when they did. Awful lot of Mavs bashing on this board. Do we need to add shipping out a board favorite to the plus column?
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • AgGiE1991, WillE
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 08:20 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I was sad to see DFS go, and have always been one of his biggest fans. But, now that he’s gone and the continuity break has happened, I’d probably prefer to target someone a bit younger, honestly.

Not only that, DFS has had some slippage in his game, even before he was traded. I get the reasoning for bringing him back because he knows the scheme here, but he's on the wrong side of 30 now, and a younger more athletic defender would be a better option as you said.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
If they really want DFS back, given the money-saving value of Bertans, a straight up trade might work for both teams.
Like Reply
People are seriously considering using the 10 pick to get DFS back? That's just atrocious. His regression last season was a big part of why they failed so hard, he's not a spring chicken either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(06-16-2023, 08:21 PM)MrGoat Wrote: People are seriously considering using the 10 pick to get DFS back? That's just atrocious. His regression last season was a big part of why they failed so hard, he's not a spring chicken either.

I think it's more the idea of using the 10th pick to get back a known good wing 3-D guy with chemistry AND remove bad money. 

But I agree, I'd look to use the 10th pick in other ways, and maybe try and get DFS later down the line as his value has seriously depleted
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-16-2023, 08:46 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think it's more the idea of using the 10th pick to get back a known good wing 3-D guy with chemistry AND remove bad money. 

But I agree, I'd look to use the 10th pick in other ways, and maybe try and get DFS later down the line as his value has seriously depleted

Thing is, DFS *is* bad money right now. At this point, Brooklyn should tip us for taking him back, and you'd have to be really sure about the investment in structure and chemistry.
Like Reply
(06-16-2023, 09:03 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Thing is, DFS *is* bad money right now. At this point, Brooklyn should tip us for taking him back, and you'd have to be really sure about the investment in structure and chemistry.

I mean do you have doubts in DFS returning to even close to what he was here? Even in his down year this year he was one of our better players. He knows the system and hustles like crazy.

At 12 mil that ain't bad if he actually performs. I said it earlier but the cat's out of the bag in terms of Luka making our 1 dimensional players shine. Teams know now that as soon as guys like DFS, Maxi, Powell etc. leave the Mavs they're exposed for being super flawed. 

I'm more than willing for BRK to tip us #22+DFS for say Bullock  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Maybe a year and a half of paying Davis Bertans is more attractive than I thought. He sure seems to be in a lot of trade rumors. But yeah, I thought the Mavs were gonna hafta pay to unload him. I also think it’s nuts to believe DFS is no longer worth his modest contract.
Like Reply
It's not the worst deal in the world if you get DFS and their 1sts along with shedding a little salary. You could flip one of those picks for a center and be in decent shape next year. It's not flashy, but it makes more sense to me than taking a Dick that doesn't fit at 10.
Like Reply
I don't believe there could be a deal on draft night...
IF I were the Mavericks you see if BKN would take C-Wood in a S&T for DFS.
I know there are a lot of Ben Simmons hate mongers amongst us, but a draft night trade of Bullock, Bertans and McGee and the '27 FRP for Simmons and #22 with a gentleman's agreement that Wood is S&T'd for DFS (after 7/1) with Wood getting the fewest guaranteed years possible, but salary fitting in the window between DFS' $14 million in 23-24 and the 5 million BKN saves from the Dallas package, coming off of Simmons. Brooklyn then can S/W Bertans and Bullock and be looking at being under the aprons for 23-24, and a MAJOR player in FA for the Summer of '24.
Like Reply
Hmm...I wonder where the Mavs could get multiple 1st round picks in the 20s? I hope Dodo didn't sell his house.

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...7478167553
Like Reply