Poll: What system is your fancy?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mega-Threads
33.33%
6 33.33%
Individual Topics
50.00%
9 50.00%
Something else (please describe your wisdom)
5.56%
1 5.56%
I like to ruin polls
11.11%
2 11.11%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mega Threads vs. Individual Topics
While it is the offseason for the Mavs, it is the perfect season for innovation.

So I ask all of you what is your opinion on how we present information?

Should we continue doing these season long Mega-Threads that are all encompassing, OR do we go and do individual topics when things come up?

For instance, if there was a trade rumor for say Anthony Davis, we'd normally throw it in the Trade&FA thread and call it a day. Under the individual topic organization, anyone can start "Trade for AD???" thread and we'd talk about that specific rumor there. 

Let me know. I have put up a poll and am going to let it run for a week.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I don't have a preference for either. There's value in having a central thread for random opinions and observations that come along. However, individual topics should also be encouraged if there's a specific point that someone is trying to make.

I do think there should only be one main stickied thread for the season-long discussion or General Talk. I don't think we need separate threads for Roster Talk, Mavs News, and Trade/FA Discussion as usually everyone discusses the same things in each anyway and I don't always check each. We can keep Around the NBA for non-Mavs discussion.
Like Reply
(05-26-2023, 08:33 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: I don't have a preference for either. There's value in having a central thread for random opinions and observations that come along. However, individual topics should also be encouraged if there's a specific point that someone is trying to make.

I do think there should only be one main stickied thread for the season-long discussion or General Talk. I don't think we need separate threads for Roster Talk, Mavs News, and Trade/FA Discussion as usually everyone discusses the same things in each anyway and I don't always check each. We can keep Around the NBA for non-Mavs discussion.

+41
Like Reply
(05-26-2023, 08:33 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: I don't have a preference for either. There's value in having a central thread for random opinions and observations that come along. However, individual topics should also be encouraged if there's a specific point that someone is trying to make.

I don't mind this best of both worlds approach. 

I see the value of having a season long discussion thread. Interested to see how this poll shakes out and appreciate sharing your wisdom.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-27-2023, 12:16 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't mind this best of both worlds approach. 

I see the value of having a season long discussion thread. Interested to see how this poll shakes out and appreciate sharing your wisdom.
It’s survival of the fittest for threads being pushed to page 2! I’ve gotten used to this way and see the merits of it. I did like the other approach when we had it too. I’ve abstained from the vote, cause I don’t care either way. Maybe moving away from the megathreads will motivate more people to start game threads!

More contests and challenges too.
Like Reply
I would go with 2 mega-threads that are pinned and then have the individual threads working around the periphery...
Best (or worst) of both worlds approach
Like Reply
The only thing I don’t love about either approach is when the same tweets, stories and talking points break out in every single thread.
Like Reply
I kind of like having a pin for the following:

NBA Draft

Trade Ideas

Free Agency

Mav's News

NBA News

I don't think the issue is with these pins, I think it is more about how they are used (conversations about the wrong thing in the wrong thread).  The Mod's do a pretty good job of creating unpinned (or Short Term pinned) threads if the news is big enough to warrant.

With that said, I can't help but notice how many former posters have moved heavily or exclusively to Discord.  Is it the format or is it they got tired of our crap?  If the former, is there is 'super-pin' above the others that could replicate the format?  I've read that thread is more of a stream of consciousness.  Maybe there is a word limit in that thread.  Just quick hitting thoughts and posts of pertinent news/tweets.
Like Reply
Question is how to deal with topics that start of in one thread but end up with talk that belongs in another thread. For example "Around the NBA". Discussions about a player or a performance lead to trade ideas. More often than not quoting the original post. Should the entire discussion stay in the original thread? Be moved to a more fitting thread?
Like Reply
(05-27-2023, 05:01 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I kind of like having a pin for the following:

NBA Draft

Trade Ideas

Free Agency

Mav's News

NBA News

I don't think the issue is with these pins, I think it is more about how they are used (conversations about the wrong thing in the wrong thread).  The Mod's do a pretty good job of creating unpinned (or Short Term pinned) threads if the news is big enough to warrant.

With that said, I can't help but notice how many former posters have moved heavily or exclusively to Discord.  Is it the format or is it they got tired of our crap?  If the former, is there is 'super-pin' above the others that could replicate the format?  I've read that thread is more of a stream of consciousness.  Maybe there is a word limit in that thread.  Just quick hitting thoughts and posts of pertinent news/tweets.

I like reading posts here.  Discord seems less "formal" and more of a quick give and take on the news/topics of the day.  It could also be a rehash of the same thing over and over Smile    If you have a long thought out post there, it tends to get lost quickly. Here, I can go back and usually find the original posts and follow up on the topics that interest me.  Dan, you do a great job and many of us appreciate your input.
Like Reply
Really appreciate the thread titles that help me figure out whether I want to read it and how far back I have to go to see whatever the breaking news is. The pinned threads make me do too much to figure either out. So I’m here way less.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(05-27-2023, 07:57 PM)The Jom Wrote: Really appreciate the thread titles that help me figure out whether I want to read it and how far back I have to go to see whatever the breaking news is. The pinned threads make me do too much to figure either out. So I’m here way less.
To your point, the less stickied megathreads does make it a bit like an organized Discord channel.
Like Reply
(05-27-2023, 05:01 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I kind of like having a pin for the following:

NBA Draft

Trade Ideas

Free Agency
I think the Trade Ideas thread not being a sticky could make things frustrating for people to wade through thread after thread of trade ideas. During each season of the other two would be helpful stickies as well for the same reason. After those, I think Mavs and around the NBA news thread topics will stay on the first page as long as they’re relevant and good conversations. Having less sticky threads allows for more threads to stay on the front page too.
Like Reply
Draft thread is stickied from after the college tournament til after the draft. FA thread would be stickied from when Mavs are gone fishing til training camp.
Like Reply
Maybe the FA thread is stickied til FA starts, then individual transaction threads from there. Mavs related transactions are stickied for a few days. Something like that.
Like Reply
Love that everyone is pitching in.

The inherent problem of megathreads (branching convos that should really belong in other threads) COULD be fixed by us moving it, but to be honest I think it'll just make it more confusing to follow a conversation.

I see the merits of having 2-3 main stickied threads. Something similar to what we have now with a permanent General NBA thread for the current season and then a seasonal stickied thread either focused on FA, or trades, along with the draft when the time comes around.

I don't think we need to have a general Mavs news related thread, or even a roster talk thread. That should/could be prime individual threads of us talking about specific actions.

I think settling somewhere in the middle will give a little something to everyone is a great idea. Keep voting though! I love that it's neck and neck between the two options!
Like Reply
Individual topics are better. And everyone on here knows where a particular topic belongs in it's respective thread. I'm the one that brought up the fact that I was reading Mavs related topics in the Around The NBA thread. It totally took over the thread. I'm also interested in reading things going on with other teams besides the Mavs. It's all about topic organization for me.
Like Reply
I like it as it is. There are less than 20 people active and creating individual threads will just spread same discussion over a bunch of different threads. I don't mind if we go with the hybrid model, keeping the large threads and creating separate ones. But, nothing is really preventing us from doing that already. Everyone can create a new thread.
Like Reply
(05-28-2023, 06:52 AM)omahen Wrote: I like it as it is. There are less than 20 people active and creating individual threads will just spread same discussion over a bunch of different threads. I don't mind if we go with the hybrid model, keeping the large threads and creating separate ones. But, nothing is really preventing us from doing that already. Everyone can create a new thread.

Keeping it as it is will make it hard to find things. You don't need everything thing to be individualized for ex, Roster Talk , and Mavs news are primarily the same thing. Eliminate one. Keep the FA and draft threads, Around the NBA, as well as  Trades. Get rid of making a separate thread to announce a trade that was made. That belongs in Around the NBA or trades thread.
Like Reply
I don't like discord--especially during the season. I can watch the games or I can talk. I can't do both. So this forum format is ideal for me. After the game I can peruse the comments, go back and do research, and otherwise make my, admittedly, very limited response.

The hybrid model, or keeping it as is, is what I would like.
Like Reply