Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Win Now" mistakes
"Those that can not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

After the break up of Mavs chamionship team, with an aging 33 year old Dirk and roster the Mavs went into get "win now" players only mode.

This consists of let's sign Darren Williams and Dwight Howard to extend the chamionship window(fail). That didn't happen and we have to win for Dirk let's overpay Chandler Parsons, Wes Mathews, Monta Ellis, trade assets for Rajon Rondo and attempt to sign DeAndre Jordon(fail).

Okay we have no assests let's over pay Harrison Barnes and bring in any other vets possible (fail). 

All this while missing out on drafting a generational player and developing him in Giannis.

I say all this because now the Mavs are in a parallel position except with a 24 year old super star and another 31 y.o all star if he signs.

Why exactly are the Mavs in a hurry/panic? Bring in the best players for now and the future even if it takes a bit for that player to develop. 

If that means building through the draft so be it. Do not panic by saying only go for "win now" players only.

Have a draft plan and stick to it.  Their are likely players in this draft that can help the Mavs iimmediately.  Identify them and trust your development staff.

I know the Mavs are desperate for a competent 5 at center, However, bringing in a player like Ayton, Capella, Allen, claxton while paying a high lottery pick is more of the same.  

Unless it's a all NBA player type, I am not trading the pick for one of these "win now" player's.
Like Reply
I'm all for building and maintaining a team through the draft--with the occasional foray into an appropriate trade. A strong team holds all the cards when it comes to trades. A weak team with no assets is doomed--until they finally get a 1-3 draft pick--and start building from there. But...how is that working out for us with Luka? Not well...

Unfortunately the Mavs (Cuban) have been fleeced in almost all transactions--for at least the last 10 or 11 years.

Still! Still...I have hopes that this year will be "the year."

I'm a glutton for pain and misery...
Like Reply
Dirk had declined enough that he wasn't carrying a team to a title again. We also weren't worried about him asking out. Luka is in his prime and wants to win now. That's a pretty big difference.

If there are truly no decent trades to be had then fine, keep the pick. But I think everyone is a bit overly optimistic about how much some of these prospects could contribute immediately. The majority of players being discussed will be total busts.
Like Reply
(05-20-2023, 07:17 AM)loki Wrote: Dirk had declined enough that he wasn't carrying a team to a title again. We also weren't worried about him asking out. Luka is in his prime and wants to win now. That's a pretty big difference.

If there are truly no decent trades to be had then fine, keep the pick. But I think everyone is a bit overly optimistic about how much some of these prospects could contribute immediately. The majority of players being discussed will be total busts.

First, Dirk had just come off a championship winning season in that year was the best version of himself.  He was in his prime.  A NBA players athletic prime is usually between 27 y.o and 34 years old.  Dirk didn't start showing decline until he was 35 with ankle and other injuries starting to catching up to him.

Next, during a similar time in Dirk career (his 6th season) they made the best decision in it which eventually led to being a high seed in the playoffs and a championship. They drafted Josh Howard and inserted him into the starting lineup.  Josh would eventually be traded for Caron Butler a move that was key to bringing toughness to a championship team that was considered soft.
Like Reply
(05-20-2023, 10:33 AM)Luka77 Wrote: First, Dirk had just come off a championship winning season in that year was the best version of himself.  He was in his prime.  A NBA players athletic prime is usually between 27 y.o and 34 years old.  Dirk didn't start showing decline until he was 35 with ankle and other injuries starting to catching up to him.

Next, during a similar time in Dirk career (his 6th season) they made the best decision in it which eventually led to being a high seed in the playoffs and a championship. They drafted Josh Howard and inserted him into the starting lineup.  Josh would eventually be traded for Caron Butler a move that was key to bringing toughness to a championship team that was considered soft.

I wasn't referring specifically to the year after the championship. You mentioned a lot of players from various seasons. Dirk was far from his peak by the time most of them were acquired. When they decided to sign Barnes for example, Dirk averaged 18/6 on a team that went 42-40 the prior season. If it wasn't already, that was certainly time to go in a different direction.

As for Josh Howard, he was the 29th pick in the draft. That pick didn't have anywhere near the trade value that #10 does this year. When Washington eventually traded for him it was primarily to save money. He had already declined pretty significantly.

And what about all the other failed 1st round picks? Mo Ager, Jared Cunningham, Justin Anderson. You could even include DSJ, although they cut bait in time to get some value out of him.
Like Reply