Poll: Does the current NBA draft lottery system really discourage tanking?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, by a helluva lot
0%
0 0%
Yes, to a moderate extent
7.69%
1 7.69%
Yes, but only slightly
15.38%
2 15.38%
No, not at all
69.23%
9 69.23%
Who cares?
0%
0 0%
*** OTHER ***
7.69%
1 7.69%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the NBA draft lottery system discourage tanking?
1.  Does the current NBA draft lottery system really discourage tanking?

2.  Should the NBA even attempt to implement rules/policies/procedures to discourage tanking?
Like Reply
I think one modification they should make is to eliminate swaps and protections. You either own your pick at the start of the season or you don´t. Nothing of this mid-season hedging anymore. No casual fans can even keep track anymore, with all the multi-twined protections and swaps between teams. 

Windhorst said it during his podcast. The Blazers record before the All-Star break the last two years is 53-64, after the ASB it´s 7-40 (2-21last year), including 15 losses by more than 30 points. Why cause their 1st round pick is lottery protected.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41, RasheedsBigWhiteSpot, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-10-2023, 01:29 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Windhorst said it during his podcast. The Blazers record before the All-Star break the last two years is 53-64, after the ASB it´s 7-40 (2-21 last year), including 15 losses by more than 30 points. Why cause their 1st round pick is lottery protected.

Windy may have said that, but he's full of hot air in his take.

The POR tanking is not about the lottery protection. When they start to tank, they are already doomed to finish in the lottery, and keep the pick -- so they are making the decision that since they suck and will get a pick, they might as well get the best pick possible. Do they get pick 8-9 or pick 5? Go ahead and tank to the better pick. Might as well try to make lemonade out of lemons.
Like Reply
No! It doesn't discourage tanking at all.

Rules?  Well they need to do something, but...only the basketball Gods know what.  I don't know.  Top 20 in the lottery?  Hard cap...and I mean hard--absolute.  We need a lot more parity.  Make it more entertaining for the fans, who, incidentally, provide all the money.  Give each team a pick from the other teams--protect the designated top 4 on each team.  

I'm just throwing stuff out there.  The "rules" are not working.  We may end up modeling the NBA after NASCAR.  That would be a hoot...
Like Reply
I've always wanted to play around with the idea that if you get the first pick, you aren't eligible for the first pick again for another x amount of years.  You could expand and slide those rules for every pick in the lottery.  It probably fails since not all draft classes are created equally but maybe that would help push for less repeat tanking.
Like Reply
(04-10-2023, 01:29 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I think one modification they should make is to eliminate swaps and protections. You either own your pick at the start of the season or you don´t. Nothing of this mid-season hedging anymore. No casual fans can even keep track anymore, with all the multi-twined protections and swaps between teams. 

Windhorst said it during his podcast. The Blazers record before the All-Star break the last two years is 53-64, after the ASB it´s 7-40 (2-21last year), including 15 losses by more than 30 points. Why cause their 1st round pick is lottery protected.

My petpeeve is after a trade they still have the wrong team making the pick and they have the rookie putting on the wrong hat.  That should have been fixed a long time ago.
Like Reply
for the shittiest teams it may be a discouragement because your chance at #1 is all the same as long as you finish bottom 3, so the competition among the bottom teams ain't that fierce (or shameless) at all, especially approaching end of the season when you see the tankers like spurs and rockets win games every now and then.

but to the marginal playoff teams it is quite the opposite. if you feel your chance at making playoffs or making it further is minimal, you will feel comfortable tanking some games to earn yourself a better position in the lottery since the draft order is mostly defined by records for teams barely missing the playoffs, especially when your pick is owned by someone else but is top 10 something protected.
Like Reply
I think the current system is pretty fair. 14% is a pretty low chance. Teams that are going to be bad anyway will still want to maximize their chances.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • Mavsfan12
Like Reply
Strangely, it discourages season-long tanking, but INCREASES issues like the Mavs just executed.  Staying in the lottery, with the increased odds at the end of the lottery (where the chances used to be minuscule) are better than a longshot at the playoffs, unless you are a team that has been out of the playoffs for a while and tired of rebuilding - like OKC this season.  For at team like the Mavs, who need ammo to restock, it is a no-brainer to tank - and even more so with the pick going to NY.  But that was out of scope.  If losing the pick would have been out of play, I still would rather have had a chance at the lotto than made the 10th spot in the playin.
Like Reply
The lottery was designed to keep teams from tanking for the 1-2 slots. Truth is that on the occasions generational talents emerge nothing stops it, and even more teams line up to get a ticket.

What the lottery has evolved into is a hard line that the strategy is to get into the lottery if you believe you are not competitive, and bottom out for the 5-10 picks. - so in that range it encourages tanking.

Where the trade protections are in place, then those teams figure it out sometime after the TDL and try to slide into place at the last minute - say last 4 games of the season. Dallas actually did it correctly, with the exception of the coach saying he was doing it, while actually complaining he was having to do it.
Like Reply
We’ll see if Dallas tanked correctly.  The chances they didn’t are still ~20%. I would have lost another game or two if I were them. Rules should be put in place that align allowable draft pick trades with the lottery hierarchies — top 4 protection or full lottery protection only.  Top 10 protection is misaligned and encouraged the Mavs to tank. Had the pick been top 4 protected, the Mavs wouldn’t have tanked. Had it been full lottery protected, the Mavs wouldn’t have tanked. If anything, the current system encourages more tanking. At least before, it was just a couple of teams every now and then.
Like Reply